ch.1: Work, work, and more work

Responsibilities [Edited ver.]
Please log in to read the full chapter

The 19 year old girl was busy preparing breakfast for her little daughter. Unlike almost every mother she had ever met, Mina wasn't able to afford some expensive and phenomenal present, the least she could do was to make the meal look and taste more festive. Jennie turned five and Mina wanted her to feel at least somewhat special. Her daughter wasn't some spoiled brat and she was content with just spending the morning with her mother, but Mina couldn't help but blame herself that she didn't work harder than she was now.

Myoui Mina gave birth at the young age of 14. Her boyfriend, who was three years older than her, left her right after she told him about her pregnancy. Her parents kicked her out of their household and Mina had to live with her grandparents. An abortion wasn't an option for her. Almost everyone who was important to her to some degree turned their back on her. Some even mocked or lectured her, saying she should've been more careful. There was only one person who knew the whole story and supported her the entire time. Her name was Sana and up to this day, they're still best friends. Fortunately, Mina's grandparents took care of the child and she had time to finish her studies. It surprised her that they were so okay with it. Of course they weren't thrilled, but they quickly accepted it and tried to help as much as they could. She wished her parents would've reacted at least a bit like that. Now, five years later, she adapted to the situation and loved Jennie more than everything on this world. She moved out of her grandparents' house and worked in a café to earn money. It wasn't much but with the help of her grandparents and some friends, whose money she always tried to refuse, she was able to survive and feed herself and her child. Sana worked in the kindergarten Jennie went to, so the two established a pretty good relationship. Mina always knew Sana would work there someday. She didn't understand how Sana could be so good with every child running around the facility. 

"Happy birthday, kiddo!" Sana squealed as soon as she saw Jennie enter the kindergarten and ran towards her. Mina rolled her eyes, but smiled. Sometimes she didn't know who was more childish, Jennie or Sana. 

"Look at you, you're big girl now!" Sana said while hugging Jennie. "And beautiful too, just like your mommy."

"Oh, stop it," Mina said, chuckling. "You'll take good care of her?"

Sana gasped with feigned hurt. "When have I not?"

Mina shook her head and pecked her daughter on the cheek. "Have a good day, baby, I'll pick you up later."

Sana waved at her best friend as she left and grinned. "Let's go celebrate a bit, shall we?" 

Jennie nodded enthusiastically and the two went to the rest of the group of kids. They sung, ate, played, and Jennie had a great day. She felt so happy with Sana and her friends, she didn't want the day to be over.

While Jennie had the time of her life, Mina had a mental breakdown. The workers she shared her shift with were all sick or just had better things to do and no one volunteered to take their shifts, because it was "too hot to work", leaving Mina alone. Taking orders, making coffee, putting cake on plates and serving people with a smile. Usually, Mina really liked her job, she liked to interact with people, but all that for a single person was just too much. And since the café was one of the most popular in town it was inevitable that a lot of people would come. The girl was glad that her day was over after almost 8 hours with only two short breaks. She got some extra money for her hard work which was the only thing that mattered for her. 

Now she only had to pick up her daughter and then she cou

Please log in to read the full chapter