Chapter 1

The Crown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was said that the Lords of the Infinite were as vivacious, beautiful and magnetic, as they were deadly, and calculating

   Chapter 1 

This one was dangerous. 

What an interesting development. 

Not so much the picture of studious loyalty that was supposed to be displayed by the direct security attaché to the Imperial family, but rather something else. Whereas Jungkook was the consummate solider, the byproduct of years of training by the best of the best of the armed services, this man looked to be like a mercenary. This one looked like he would kill first, and ask questions later, this one looked as if he would take his position literally, rather than understand that its modern duties were ceremonial. He would be responsible for the security of the sovereign, but in the modern age, no one would dare attempt to threaten the life of the crowned ruler. 

"Your Imperial Majesty," Jungkook bowed deeply at the neck, before gesturing to the still kneeling man beside him. The man was dressed in the full red and blue dress uniform of the Imperial Guard, a presumption on Jungkook's part, to dress the man in that uniform, but a nice touch. "May I present Captain Min Yoongi, of Your Imperial Majesty's guard, the only man that I would have full confidence in, if he were to take over my duties." 

Jimin tapped his finger against the solid oak arm of the throne, not taking his eyes off the kneeling man at the foot of its steps. Jungkook was a childhood friend, to him and his brother, and as such, he felt that could often take certain liberties.

Perhaps he could, he certainly wouldn't punish him for it, he hadn't when he'd been the heir to his grandfather's throne, and that wouldn't change now that he was sitting on that throne. 

But this was new, even for Jungkook. 

His grandfather had been dead for a month, and consequently, he'd been the de-facto Emperor since then, due to be officially crowned next week. Jungkook had been the head of his grandfather's security, and now that his charge was dead, he was looking for a new charge.

Jimin wasn't about to deny his request, but that had changed the moment that he heard who wanted to take Jungkook as the head of their security. 

His brother, Taehyung, the Prince Imperial. 

Jimin was prepared to turn a blind eye to that relationship, because he saw it exactly for what it was, but he wasn't going to put his brother's boyfriend in the position of being his head of security. He thought that the matter had been settled, and that Jungkook was content to either stay in service to the Imperial Family, to him, or to an extended member of his family, or go, and perhaps manage the personal security of some high-ranking dignitary or official. 

But he'd obviously been mistaken. 

"And where are you going, Captain Jungkook?" Jimin asked his friend, his tone light. 

The gaze he leveled onto Jungkook was frosty, but the younger man merely smiled, and rearranged his hands so that they were clasped behind the small of his back.

"His Highness, The Prince Imperial, has stated his interest in having me take over his security," Captain Yoongi was probably clueless, still kneeling, not allowed to make eye contact with the sovereign until ordered to do so, but Jimin wondered if the man could detect the smug tone in Jungkook's voice. "I thought it prudent to present to you a candidate, your grandfather was dear to me, but I cannot serve another sovereign." 

Jimin knew what that meant. 

His grandfather had been aware of their relationship too, and while he was perfectly supportive of it, he had the same reservations that Jimin had. Now his grandfather was gone, and Jungkook probably figured that he could flex his influence with more ease, without interference from the crown." 

"Oh, you might very well be released from my service, but perhaps not into the service of The Prince Imperial," Jimin took on a very false-tone of sweetness, and he made no effort to hide it as he cast something between a smile and sneer towards his soon to-be former friend. He then turned his attention to the silent solider at the bottom of the steps, and tapped a finger against the throne one more time. "You may rise, Captain." 

It was like a scene out of a movie. 

The man first raised his head up, and locked eyes with Jimin, and Jimin felt everything else go into soft-focus. Those eyes, piercing, his lips pursed, he was a striking man, and he felt a blossoming sensation travel down throughout the entirety of his body because of it. It was then that he knew that he should have turned him down, he should've denied him. 

But when he stood to his full height, and the impact of the absurdly attractive solider, in his gaudy military dress uniform, hit him, he knew that the pull to him was irresistible. 

When Captain Yoongi saluted him, he wondered, idly, if this was how Taehyung felt. 

"Your Imperial Majesty," Yoongi's deep voice was clipped. 

The blossoming sensation only grew stronger. 

This one was dangerous indeed, more danger then the crown had faced in centuries. 

"Captain Jungkook obviously thinks very highly of you," Jimin began, laying his hands on the two oak arms, wrapping his hands around the two intricate ends. "He's risking his career, and quite possibly, his freedom, to get you an audience, so, with that being said, why should I accept you?" 

At his thinly veiled jab at Jungkook, a very slight malformation of the pursing of his lips came into sight, and Jimin knew that he was repressing a smile.

Even standing side by side, mirroring the posture of Jungkook, the differences were visible. Yoongi looked like the boy that broke the dress code at school, where Jungkook gave the teacher an apple. 

For the first time since his father died, since the day his life was irrevocably attached to the crown that would soon be placed on his head, he felt alive, really, genuinely alive. It felt like his life was his again, he didn't feel that constant need to run away, to pretend to be someone else, in some far flung corner of the Infinite Empire. 

As if he could actually do that. 

But what was life without a little escapism? Every now and then at least. 

"I couldn't possibly comment, sir," Yoongi responded, and this time, the man openly smirked. "Especially if my esteemed colleague has fallen out of favor with you, sir." 

Jimin's brow rose, "Esteemed?" 

"A polite term," The other man's response was amusement, but still incredibly even. 

He fixed the older man with an openly appraising look, and cocked his head in thought. 

He had grown used to the idea of Jungkook being his security attaché, but he would require a far more hands-on approach from the person that eventually took that post, far more than his grandfather ever had. The idea of his oldest friend trailing his e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter