Three - Suspenders

Gucci Farmer ◇ K.Taehyung [After BTS SERIES]

"Taehyung, is that you?"  The old man walked closer to him but keeping a distance from him.

 

  Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows at the man. The old man was short...shorter than Sohee for sure. His face was covered in wrinkled but the small smile on his face made the wrinkle more prominent. He held a stick in his hand, and had on black pants, with a white long-sleeve shirt, along with suspenders tightly snugged on his chest. And lastly, a simple black and white Panama hat.

  The way he held the cane along with his outfit reminded him of those 1920s American shows his grandmother used.

"Hello...Sir" He bowed at the man.

"Sir? You don't remember who I am?" The man's sudden soft tone changed to a more abrupt voice. "It’s a shame. You were gone for years and you forgot about me. Mr. Kang."

Kang. David Kang.

It hit him. He remembers now. Mr. Kang his snoopy neighbor, who also had conflicts with grandmother over the old days. He remembers how his grandmother would come inside the house with a scowl on her face. He despised him. A lot.

"Mr. Kang. I remember you. Wow, you look great."

"Pssh, me? I've lost all my youth. Lok at you," Kang embraced Taehyung into a small hug. "You've grown into a fine man." He patted his back.

"Thank you, sir," Taehyung faked smiled, massaging the 'pat' the man gave him.

He doesn't know why, but he feels quite uncomfortable with him here. His smile gave off a strange vibe.  If his grandmother sees him hugging and smiling at Mr. Kang, she would be upset at him.

"Good afternoon, Mr.Kang," Sohee dipped her head down softly at him.

"Sohee, you didn’t tell me you were having special guests over?"

"Ah, I'm sorry sir-"

"Naya, don’t apologize that the Misses Kim's grandson came back home."

Oldman Kang planted his cane on the ground, kneeling to the side with the support of the cane.

"Now, Tae, what brings you back to Geochang?"

Taehyung shifted his gaze to Sohee who averted her eyes away from him and gazing at the cornfield behind her. It seems like she wanted to go back to work, but she has this man over here.

"I just came back to check up umm... on the farm," he scratched his neck with his index finger, unsure if he wants to tell Oldman Kang the whole reason.

"Check up on the farm? oh, I didn’t know you still cared about this your property...or even cared about village." He positioned himself again, now leaning forward with the cane. "Now that you got famous at all, I'm surprised that you remembered about here." 

Taehyung was boiling with rage on the inside right now, instead, he kept his composition the outside. If he could, he would fire back at him, but he must be respectful to him.

"Why wouldn't I remember the place that shaped into the man I am today?  he said. "I'm just here to reclaim my property."

Oldman Kang scrunched up this forehead, forming rolls of deep wrinkle around  his forehead. For a second, the corner of his mouth curled into a grin.

"Reclaim your property? I never knew you were that serious or a responsible owner."

He continued. "A responsible and serious owner would not leave their farm unattended for years, with only one worker maintaining your farm," Oldman Kang shifted his gaze to Sohee and back to him. “It’s a shame to see you make the same mistakes as your grandmother Tae.”

Taehyung gritted his teeth to the point where they were about to throbbing. He could not believe that this…this Ahjushi thinks he has the audacity to insult him and his grandmother. He felt like a volcano about to erupt flaming lava.

   He had to keep his composure and not let this man’s meaningless word take over his emotions. However, how dare he insult his late grandmother in front of him! If he retaliated, Oldman Kang would probably tell the whole village, and then making its way to the most popular news sites in Korea. He wouldn’t want to risk having his image and family name ruined.

“I’m pretty sure I am capable of running my family farm. Thank you for your helpful advice Mr. Kang.” He said. “I would like to talk to you more, but Sohee and I are quite busy.”

 Oldman Kang smiled without any teeth, just a plain thin crease along his face. He removed his rest on the cane, with one hand on his pocket.

“Alrightey, ill let you be. You must still be tired from your journey.” He turned his attention to Sohee who seemed to be totally unamused with the men’s petty argument. “If you need anything, I’m just down the street.” He smiled at her.

She glued her lips together with a closed tooth smile and bowed to him. “Thank you, Mr. Kang.”

Oldman Kang nodded and skedaddled to his property.

Taehyung breathed out. Having that weight removed from his chest made him feel at ease.

“Sorry about Mr., Kang,” Sohees moved her small stature in front f him. “He has a habit of getting into people faces.”

“I can see why.” He grumbled under his breath.

“Your grandmother. She waited. “She’s not irresponsible. She hardworking, and genuine, and such a kind-hearted person… like you.”

He shifted his gaze to her. He never noticed how captivating her eyes are, it’s like a deep black ocean profoundly him in. He felt touched by her admiration for his grandmother. He wanted to give her a hug, but he barely knows her, and if his wife saw him- not a good idea.

“How long does it take you ask a second question?”

Both Taehyung and Sohee whipped their attention to Yejin, who was standing on the porch, both hands crossed.

“R-right.” He turned his attention to Sohee. “Sorry, I was going to ask you when dinner is.”

“Once I finished doing my course, I’ll come prepare dinner for you and your wife.” She bowed and quickly left.

He looked at his wife, gulping. “Soon.”

“Great. That gives us enough time to have some fun,” She winked at him slowly walking into the house.