CATastrophe

Collateral Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongdae is a little hesitant this time around when he approaches Baekhyun. The last time they'd encountered each other, their interaction hadn't been too... pleasant. He exhales audibly, straightening his back and walks up to the checkout counter with purpose- well, with as much purpose as his anxiety and self-depreciative thoughts would allow- carefully placing a copy of The Diary of Anne Frank on the counter. 

Baekhyun's eyes lazily flicker up from the book he's been reading for the past half hour- To Kill A Mockingbird- and scrutinises Jongdae's choice of literature before lifting his gaze higher to examine Jongdae. A scowl immediately settles on his thin, pink lips as he regards the younger shifting nervously from foot to foot in front of him. Nevertheless, as is the librarian's duty, Baekhyun fixes a yellow strip of paper between the pages and sets down his novel before taking Jongdae's into his hands, delicate fingers tracing over the slightly worn spine and cover, flipping it open to pull the library card from it. He reaches for the stamp, slams it into the ink pad with the sort of rambunctious grace only a librarian could manage and stamps the date onto the card. Jongdae's eyes follow every movement Baekhyun makes, up until the librarian slips the card into the drawer labelled 'Borrowed Books' in faded ink and then proceeds to swipe Jongdae's library pass, squinting at whatever information appears on the monitor at the counter.

"Alright. You have a week on the book. Any damages- even the slightest wear," he narrows his eyes, fixating his heated gaze on Jongdae's shrinking form, "will be considered as destruction to library property and will lead to your pass being permanently revoked and a one hundred dollar fine being imposed on you which must be paid within five days. Also, failure to return the book on its due date will result in you having to pay a three dollar fee for every day that it's late." He pushes the book towards Jongdae and crosses his arms over his chest. "Now leave."

Jongdae meekly takes the book off the counter and opens the flap of the messenger bag hanging at his side, carefully tucking it in. Once it's secured properly, a whole two minutes later, Jongdae is still standing in front of Baekhyun's counter, eyes glued to the floor as he tries to build himself up to say something- anything. "Baek-" he forces out, little choked up as he finally lifts his head.

Baekhyun has long gone back to his novel, or maybe he only did when he heard Jongdae call his name, the younger wouldn't know, and Jongdae feels a pang of guilt stab his chest, shrouded in discouragement. He grips the worn strap of his bag, sweaty digits fiddling with the frayed pieces of fabric, bottom lip tucked between his teeth. "Baekhyun," he musters once more, a little more demanding and hopeful this time, breath hitching when he's granted an icy stare.

"What, ?" Baekhyun spits and despite the insult, Jongdae finds himself snorting in amusement, tension bleeding from his frame. Baekhyun himself seems taken aback by the younger's reaction and he frowns in mild confusion, eyebrows drawing together in displeasure.

"Are you still mad at me?" Jongdae questions innocently despite knowing that yes, of course Baekhyun was still mad at him. The deadpan look he receives is proof enough. "Okay, look," he starts, heaving a sigh and combing his fingers through his unruly blonde curls. Unknowing to him, Baekhyun follows the movement with barely concealed fascination. "I'm sorry, okay? I know I shouldn't have done what I did but I really didn't mean to! I swear! You know I'm not that kind of person, Baekie." Jongdae finishes with a pout and oh, if only he knew how lethal those downturned kittenish lips looked.

"Liar," Baekhyun retorts, resolve already crumbling under his stony, seemingly unaffected appearance.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter