A Boss' Christmas

A Boss' Christmas

 

 

Don’t stay up for me. I’m sorry, my dearest, but I must work late at the office today. I left some cookies and milk for you since who needs Santa when you bring me the best presents I could ever ask for every day? I really can’t wait to see you. Good night and merry Christmas, my sweet.

Xing Xing

            You sighed to yourself as you let the handwritten note drop to the table and you nibbled one of the chocolate chip cookies he had left for you. While you hated that he was away, you couldn’t bring yourself to be upset as you realized how difficult and how volatile his job as CEO of his own music company was. Around this this, he was always the busiest, whether it be producing a new album himself or through one of his extremely talented groups, attending Christmas parties from Korea to China, or generally ensuring the wellbeing of his company and his employees. At least you knew you would get an album out of it, one that would nuzzle itself between the others you had accumulated over the years. You thought yourself selfish as you took another cookie and sulked to the couch, flipping on the television and hoping a Christmas special you haven’t seen was on. You wondered what he was doing right now, if he had eaten, if he was well hydrated, simple stuff that you knew he always forgot on a regular basis. Poor Lay would always work so hard, he forgot how to vacation—or function for that matter. You looked at the clock, your eyes already drooping. 11:30 on Christmas Eve and no Yixing, no children, no family, no neighbors or anything save to keep you occupied.

Good night? See you in a few hours? You texted desperately, trying not to succumb to the overbearing combination of sleep and loneliness you felt as the seconds ticked by. What time would he be home? 1 in the morning, maybe 2? You just wanted to wake up to him in the morning, his lean arms wrapped around, enveloping you in the kind of warmth that thwarted both winter and emotional cold.

You don’t know when you drifted off to sleep but Nightmare Before Christmas was still playing when you awoke, so you figured your nap was not too long. You glanced at the clock, halfway afraid you had started Christmas alone. You had; it was already 12:15 in the morning and Yixing still had not stepped through the door or planted a loving kiss on your forehead before carrying you to bed. You sighed, frustrated. You checked your phone in desperation. Nothing. He was seriously immersed in his work this time; perhaps he was drowning in it. Considering you were already bored and the holiday had already started, you quickly grabbed your leather jacket and slipped into your converse. Figuring he was starving by now, you toted the cookies with you as well, cursing the cold as you darted out the door.

“Xing Xing,” you uttered shyly, poking your head through the door, not surprised that he hadn’t seen you approaching even with the glass walls of his office. You stared in awe at the stack of papers on his desk and wondered how he had the time to breathe, let alone look up. He didn’t notice as his eyes and hands dashed across his cluttered desk. You smiled a weak smile, both in admiration and sadness as y,u saw him toil away. “Xing?” you tried again, garnering no response. You pouted, quickly scuffling behind his chair. You set the plate of cookies down beside him. Finally, he paused, removing his wireless earphones. You smiled as you draped your arms around his neck and rested your head on his shoulder. Your heart jumped when he placed his soft hand over your own.

“Hello, my sweet,” he greeted you purely, lifting your hands so he could stand. He towered over you but to you, he was a gentle giant, his smile radiant enough to melt your troubles. “Did you miss me?” he asked softly, placing a tender kiss on your forehead before pulling you to his, your head on his chest. You gratefully wrapped your arms around him as he held you tighter.

“Wh-why are you still here? I missed you so much,” you whimpered into his chest.

“You know I’m busy, baby girl. I didn’t mean to worry you. I would have come home in a few hours. Why are you awake at this hour? My darling needs her rest to stay healthy and happy,” he pointed out.

“I couldn’t sleep, not without you,” you answered.

“I’m sorry, did I make you worry that much?” he asked, pulling away from you, a look of worry plastered on his still perfect features.

“N-no, I wasn’t worried, I-I just wanted you back. You work too hard,” you admitted, hating how selfish you sounded.

“But I do it all for you, for us. You know I have to work hard,” he started.

“Yes, I know, but I was wondering if you had eaten, if you were well.”

“Of course I am, but that’s still no excuse for me to abandon you like that. I should have started earlier,” he sighed, frustrated with yourself.

“No, I know you’re busy and I truly appreciate it,” you assured him. “What were you even working on, anyway?” He blushed, his eyes darting around the room. “Xing~” you inquired, pulling away from him and raising an eyebrow.

“Sit,” he encouraged, scattering some stray papers out of the way on his desk and whisking you off your feet to place you there. You sat, eyes narrowed in confusion as you sneakily reached for a cookie as he turned around. Noticing, he smirked. “You like the cookies, don’t you?” he snickered. You blushed. “It’s alright, I made them for you after all. I hope I am a good dessert chef,” he jested.

“You made them from a mix. I saw the box in the kitchen trash,” you pointed out, catching him.

“Alright, alright, you figured that out, but you haven’t figured out my surprise for you,” he hinted as he reached into his cabinet to pull out his custom-made guitar. Your eyes widened and your heart raced. He only brought out the guitar on special occasions.

“I-I made a song and I want you to hear it. I want to put it on EXO’s new Christmas album but I need a second opinion,” he explained, sitting across from you, settling into position to play.

 

 The morning I opened my eyes in heart fluttering excitement

It's like the feeling of untying the ribbon of a present

Every single day of getting to know you

 

The twinkling lights that decorate the streets

Among those, your eyes are especially like the star light

As if you're melting in my arms, you come into my embrace

 

What if you come to me

When I'm sleeping?

So I stay up all night, all night

In a white daze

 

Just like the Christmas day

That I've always waited for

Just like the Christmas day

Oh! When I think about you

I get excited like a kid just like those days,

Just like that time

You're just like Christmas day

 

“B-babe, are you crying? Please, please don’t cry,” he cooed, stopping his music to gently place his guitar down before wiping away your tears. “So, do you like it?” You bit your lip, at a loss for words, recovering from the velvet smooth of his voice and the purity of the lyrics. “Aww, my sweet baby girl,” he chuckled before embracing you tightly. “Merry Christmas, sweetheart,” he smiled, kissing your neck.

“It’s not fair,” you whimpered, wiping your eyes,

“Hmm?”

“Why are you so good to me? That was so beautiful and the cookies and I got you nothing.”

“What do you mean? You make me happy and calm all the time. Peace of mind with the one you love is the best gift of all. I’m the one who can’t compare to you.”

“It’s not fair, you’re too sweet!”

“It’s because I love you. Do you love me?”

            “Of course, why wouldn’t I?” you assured him, nodding emphatically, a wide smile brightening your face. “I just wish I could top this present.”

            “You already have, trust me.”

            “I will just have to try harder and beat you at your own game, Mr.!” you challenged cutely, pouting as you were still taken aback.

            “Well, then, I guess it’s not too early to mention I got us a dog. We pick it up Monday,” he smirked, sticking his tongue out at you, You sat in shock. He shook his head halfheartedly. “Guess I win. Let’s go home sweetheart. Merry Christmas.”