Uno

Bully’s sweetest torture
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Yewon or Umji was a well respected and put together 17-year old. She earned all A's throughout grade school and was the student every teacher dreamed of having in their classroom. 

 

 

 

 

For the past two years, Umji has been attending public high school in Boston. She liked her school. She even liked her teachers. But there was one thing, well one individual that she could not tolerate. 

 

 

 

 

Her bully, Choi Yuna/Yuju.  Yuju was a trouble maker; she always mouthed off teachers, was sent to the principal's office, and even suspended for a fight or two; and out of all the prospective students in the entire school to pick on, she chose Umji.  

 

 

 

 

 

Since sophomore year when she started at her new school, Umji has been Yuju's target and she could not for the life of her figure out why. Umji considered herself a nice person. 

 

 

 

 

She dressed well and never started trouble. In fact, no one besides her teachers seemed to notice Umji, but Yuju did. 

 

 

 

 

And not in a nice way. Whether it was calling her Umji-the-freak, giving her a shove in the hallway, or shooting spitballs in her hair during class, it all amounted to her experience of hell in high school. 

 

 

 

 

 

What Umji really longed for was a friendship. A companion she could talk to and would understand her and all her weird vices. It was now her Senior year and she knew if she had not found it by now at this school, she never would.  

 

 

 

 

 

Umji was walking to her first class of the day when suddenly all three of the textbooks she was holding were pushed out of her hands. They thudded heavily on the tiled hallway and Umji looked up, catching a sight she had grown familiar with. 

 

 

 

 

 

Mischievous emerald eyes.  "Whoops. Sorry about that freak," Yuju snickered, as she continued on her way with a grin on her face.  Umji frowned after her and bent down to retrieve her books. 

 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, this was a typical day and for Umji and it was only the beginning. Yuju would find another way to bother her. She just didn't know when, where or how.  

 

 

 

 

 

The day seemed to carry on without incident, mostly because Umji made sure to take a different route from class to class everyday. A little trick she figured out. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. 

 

 

 

 

 

Perhaps today was lucky.  Wrong. Her luck had drastically run out during Anatomy class when the teacher split them into partners. Her heart plummeted when the teacher announced her lab partner for the day was Yuju. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Umji had been lucky not getting stuck with the raven haired girl this past year because a majority of the time Yuju either ditched class or was suspended. But not today.  When the teacher told the class to disperse and find their partners, Umji immediately went up to her teacher's desk. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Mr. Cowell?"  "Yes, Umji. What can I do for you?" He smiled pleasantly.  

 

 

 

 

"Would it be an inconvenience if I asked to switch partners with one of the other pairs?"  Mr. Cowell furrowed his brows.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 "Is there a problem?"  Umji turned from her teacher and her eyes found Yuju slouching back comfortably in a chair at a lab table. She had already been looking at Umji. 

 

 

 

 

An amused smirk curled her lips. Umji felt slightly angered by the joy this situation had brought to Yuju and she turned back to her teacher. 

 

 

 

 

"Well, it's Yuju, Mr. Cowell. She and I don't really... get along."  

 

 

 

"Why Umji... you seem to get along well with everyone. Plus, you are the smartest one in my class and well... I think it will do Ms. Choi some good to be able to work with you. 

 

 

 

 

She's... a tad behind in her studies but perhaps a partnership with you will help her out."  

 

 

 

 

"Um... I understand that sir. But I would really prefer someone else... please?"  

 

 

 

 

"Umji, I know she may not be the easiest person to get along with, as you say, but I would really appreciate it if you would work with Yuju," Mr. Cowell spoke with finality in his voice.  

 

 

 

 

Never one to argue with a superior, Umji simply nodded. "Yes, Mr. Cowell." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Fantastic. I'm sure you may learn something from Yuju as well." Mr. Cowell stepped away to answer the raised hand of another student. 

 

 

 

 

 

 "I doubt it," Umji mumbled to herself as she shuffled over to the seat next to Yuju.  As Umji approached the lab table, Yuju casually sat up in her chair and gave Umji a -eating grin. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Looks like you're stuck with me today, freak."  Umji smoothed the back of her dress before she quietly took her seat beside the black haired senior. She avoided any eye contact with Yuju.  Everyone in the classroom was soon settled and the teacher began to give instructions. 

 

 

 

 

 

As Umji opened the textbook and followed along with the teacher, she could still feel Yuju's eyes on her. After a few uncomfortable moments, Umji carefully turned towards the other girl.  Yuju was indeed unabashedly staring at her. It was not a humorous smirk, nor a look of disgust or disdain... it was a look... she had no words for. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But it made her heart thump involuntarily faster. She quickly looked away and tried to focus on the lesson. Why was Yuju looking at her that way? Furthermore, why did it stir such a strong reaction within her? After another minute of those intense green eyes boring a hole into her, she had enough.  

 

 

 

 

 

"Stop it, please..." she whispered.  "What?" 

 

 

 

 "You're staring at me."  Yuju shrugged.

 

 

 

 

 "It's a free country. I can look wherever I want rich girl." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 "But you're making me uncomfortable. And if you don't stop I'll..."  

 

 

 

 

 

"What? Tell on me? Be a narc? Typical."  Umji finally faced the other girl. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Why do you always give me a hard time?"  Yuju narrowed her eyebrows in challenge. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Because I can."  

 

 

 

 

"Is there a problem over there, Ms. Kim?" Mr. Cowell interrupted.  Umji tore her eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter