The Little Things You Do (They Don't Mean Anything For You)

An Excerpt Of My Life That He Would Never Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Happy Birthday, bb gyupcake! Love you! XOXO

Anyway, this is kinda inspired by Jealous

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jealous of the girl who caught your eye

 

When Kang Minah was seven., she met a real super hero.

 

 

 

Kang Minah hates bullies that's why she dislikes going to school. Because there are bullies and she's a target for them and they're going to take her lunch away again --- for the hundredth time and she's going to get hungry and her Mom would be sad again.

 

Why won't her brother have lunch with her, she pouts begrudgingly, embracing her bag.

 

There stands the group of Hyunwoo who likes stealing her lunch. She tries to flee by going back to where she comes from but of course, they're not going to have any of that.

 

“You think you can just go like that?” Hyunwoo, the big 5th grader mocks her, giving her a forehead flick.

 

“Ouch!” She cries, tapping her forehead. “Why do you pick on me and my food always?”

 

The big boys smirk at her and push her. It sends her on the hard ground and scrapes her elbows. It hurts, she thinks, biting her lips to avoid crying. She will not give them the satisfaction of hearing her cry. All the boys laugh at her, taking her lunch bag away.

 

“Yah!” One of the boys shouts. “Only sandwich? I didn't know you're poor now!”

 

Hyunwoo strides forward her and grabs her bag. She watches as they raid her bag, only to be disappointed.

 

“Where's your lunch money?”

 

She looks away and tilts her head down.

 

“Oi!” Hyunwoo pats her temple loudly. “Oi! I'm talking to you!”

 

“Go away!” She shouts harder, standing up but failing as the boys push her harder on the ground.

 

“What are you doing?” Another unfamiliar voice asks which alerts the bullies. They all turn to look at the intruder.

 

Hyunwoo smirks. “If this isn't the goody goody Hwang kid.”

 

Minah peeks at the boy who looks the same age as her. She watches in awe as the little Hwang boy puffs his chest as if he can scare the 5th graders. He's glaring hard at them as if he can make the bullies disappear.

 

The bullies only laugh at him and pushes him, too, then runs away. Minah huffs and rushed to the boy on the ground. He has a scrape on his elbows, too.

 

“Oh I'm so sorry!” She apologizes, kneeling down beside him, blowing the scrape like how her mother taught her to.

 

The boy scratches the back of his neck with his free hand. “Err... what are you doing?”

 

She flutters her eyes open upwards to meet the face of the boy. He definitely looks nice. He has fair skin and pretty foxy eyes. She likes his eyes the best, Minah notes.

 

Minah smiles. “My mom taught me this helps to heal the oo away. It works for me.”

 

Hwang kid nods at her with a smile. “I think it's working too.”

 

“Really?” Her face brightens more as he nods. She goes back to blowing the oo away.

 

“I'm Minhyun.” He offers his hand.

 

The little girl slumps next to him, wiping her tears with her bare hands. “My name is Minah. Nice to meet you.” She takes his hand for a hand shake.

 

Minhyun smiles wider than possible and suddenly, as if he thinks of a good, he says. “Let's be the best of friends so no one can bully you anymore.”

 

The girl looks at Minhyun as if it's also the best idea --- as if it's the first time she sees the beauty of sun and colors and nothing else matter but the boy and her sitting on the hard cold ground.

 

“I'm going to be your personal bodyguard here and nobody is allowed to hurt you, Minah.” He promises and she agrees.

 

“Here.” Minhyun is gesturing his end sleeve of his school uniform. Minah looks as if he's gone crazy, taking the sleeve with her little hands. “Wipe your tears with my sleeve.”

 

Minah's mouth shapes an “O” then wipes her tears and blows her nose. Minhyun's face scrunches up but smiles nonetheless. “Just so you know that you'll have me by the end of everything.”

 

“Thank you, Minhyunnie.” She smiles back at him.

 

For now, who cares about Superman or Batman when she has the Capable Hwang Minhyun in his school uniform to save the day?

 

 

 

 

 

One of my darker days

 

When Kang Minah was nine, she lost the world.

 

 

Minah's eyes are trained on the falling brown leaves as her tears are also falling from her eyes. These days, it's turning colder than she wishes, just like her heart. She can't help it because she lost the biggest influence in her life.

 

“Do you know what my Mom says?” She asks randomly because she knows even without looking that Minhyun is behind her. “Everything changes and you have to accept it.”

 

Her best friend sighs helplessly.

 

“Everything happens for a reason, Minah.” He reasons.

 

Minah wipes her face. “But... does that man Daddy needs to leave us because he has another family now? Is that fair, Minhyunnie?”

 

The boy walks in front of her and puts his hands on her shoulders reassuringly. He has a gentle smile on his face like he's always have. It makes her stomach churn for some reason. Maybe, she is just hungry.

 

“Your Daddy isn't leaving you. Just think of it as your Dad going to the next house and --- and ---” Minhyu scrunches his nose ---- cutely ---- trying to find the exact for it. “---ah, Minah, why do you make think so much?” He pouts.

 

Minah smiles at his cuteness. Whenever she has a problem, Minhyun would always find a way to make her smile. And she feels extra special because the girls in their grade want to make friends with this cold Minhyun but none has chance.

 

Only her.

 

He pokes her dimples and pinches her cheeks. “So soft!”

 

“Yah!” She protests, trying desperately to get his hands off off her cheeks. “Hyunnie! Stop! That hurts!”

 

But Minhyun's laughter is ringing all through the empty road going back to their apartment. By far, Minhyun's laughter has become her favorite music.

 

“You know,” Miinhyun stops poking her cheeks, encircling his long limbs around her neck, leaning forward. “even if everyone leaves the snotty Kang Minah, I wouldn't! Ever!”

 

Minah turns to him, alarmed. “What if you find someone better? Like my Dad?”

 

Minhyun thinks deeply, as if he's hesitating. Minah pulls herself off and sulks. The boy tugs her sleeve which she childishly ignores. She continues walking and sulking. Yet when she feels like Minhyun is not walking beside her anymore, she turns around.

 

She tries to keep a straight face but it's hard when Minhyun's smile makes his eyes disappear and his hands in a bbuing bbuing mode. He's doing an aegyo for her.

 

“Only for you.” Minhyun breathes, laughing. Minah's still laughing when he walks forward to her. “I promise I wouldn't leave you. I'd never go without you.”

 

She looks seriously at him and juts her lips in his direction. She points at something with her lips, Minhyun rolls his eyes then offers the end sleeve of his sweater which she gladly takes, wiping her tears and blowing her nose.

 

“Ugh!” Minhyun wrinkles his nose after she smiles widely at him.

 

“Come on!” She says actively, taking his hand and running away.

 

Maybe all she needs is her best friend by her side.

 

 

 

 

When you looked at her

 

 

When Kang Minah was fourteen, she vowed her heart for just one boy.

 

 

Minhyun looks good in black, Minah thinks as he smiles dashingly, striding forward to where she's currently sitting. It's Minhyun's parents wedding vow renewal and she's invited, of course, and Minhyun has become her partner walking down the aisle.

 

Her best friend is breathtaking, offering her a smile and a hand that she becomes speechless as everyone eyes them. She's learned long ago that most girls in their school envy her for being close to Minhyun which both of them brush off. They've been best of friends for seven years now, why would anything bother either of them?

 

But whilst walking forward in the middle of the venue to dance, she can't help but wonder when did Minhyun become this entrancing? When did Minhyun become so much taller that I'm just until his shoulders? When did Minhyun put so much cologne on his body that I can smell his strong scent?

 

She hesitatingly puts her hands around his shoulders which makes him smile, his arms around her waist, sending tingles all her body. When did his touch send shiver down my spine? They both sway with the dance, her face flushing deep red with the way he's looking at her.

 

Minah looks everywhere but Mnhyun.

 

“Wow, I didn't know you could look this pretty, Minah.” He teases her, tapping her nose lightly. “I've always thought you're the ugly duckling.”

 

The girl rolls her eyes sarcastically at him. “Shut up, Hwang!”

 

“Look at them.” Minhyun says, lips pointing at his parents who are happily entertaining the guests around, their arms around each other. “I'm really happy they are happy.”

 

Minah nods, agreeing. Minhyun's parents have become her second parents, treating her as a real daughter whilst her Mom highly thinks of Minhyun as her son, as well.

 

“I wish I could have that, too.” Minah suddenly blurts, eyes transfixed on the Hwang couple.

 

“What?”

 

“Someone beside me... all the time.”

 

Minhyun pulls her face in his direction. “You know that you have me. I will not be going anywhere.”

 

There's something in his eyes and Minah can't put a finger on. But she becomes aware of Minhyun all of a sudden. As if there's a light behind him, making him shine --- emitting a glow that she's never seen before. Perhaps it's Minhyun's black suit's fault? Or her pastel pink dress? But there are butterflies swimming inside her stomach abruptly.

 

She gulps and tries to avoid his gaze.

 

All of a sudden, Minhyun tightens his hands around her waist, pushing her nearer to him. He's almost breathing near her ear as he leans forward, whispering. “I hope that you know you're going to be my best friend always. Even though we find different partners ---- although I can't imagine that ---- I would still stick around. Please stick around, too?”

 

Minhyun is impossibly close to her that she can only nod as an answer. She can't meet his eyes for she knows she's going to be betrayed by her fast beating heart. Doesn't matter the echo of Minhyun's voice.

 

you're going to be my best friend always

 

 

 

 

Here I am

 

When Kang Minah was eighteen, she wore her heart on her sleeves.

 

 

Graduation is nearing so the school has decided to have a festival, most especially for the graduating students. She can see different booths from food to games and she's just walking around, wanting to eat when two of her best friends, Yeri and Minki hold each of her hands with wicked devil smile.

 

This is bad. This is trouble.

 

With struggle, both Minki and Yeri take her away somewhere. She wants to scream but Minki is glaring at her so hard that she would rather be taken away by these idiots than deal with Minki's iness.

 

After a long walk, they finally put a handcuff around her right arm.

 

She is in the jail booth!

 

Minah tries fleeing but Minki has his hand around her, smile on his pretty face. Yeri appears again with a veil and a flower in hand. She cannot describe what these idiots want her to do because at the end of this fake altar stands her best friend.

 

Hwang Minhyun.

 

There's a skip inside her heart seeing him there.

 

No matter how much she tries ignoring the fact that perhaps she feels something for her best friend, it's still there. Slowly but surely growing. It's there and she feels lost at the realization of her being in love with her best friend. The one she's with all these time --- when she needed a shoulder to cry on --- when she's in her happiest state, Minhyun has always been there.

 

It doesn't feel right, Minah reminds herself as Minki pushes her forward. She almost stumbles then glares at Minki who's trying to make her walk. She hears Minhyun and Dongho laughing at her misery. She gets to Minhyun and Yeri locks the other handcuff on Minhyun's hand.

 

Minah scratches her hair irritably at everyone in the jail booth.

 

Minki stands in front as the priest, smirking at her. Why is he doing this, she can't fathom. He wants to make her life more miserable than it already is.

 

“Do you, Hwang Minhyun, take Kang Minah, as your wife?” Minki imitates a priest.

 

Hwang Minhyun glances at her and with a fond smile, “Yes, Father Minki.”

 

Dongho, her bratty brother, laughs maniacally.

 

“Now,” Minki says pointedly. “do you, Kang Minah, take Hwang Minhyun as your husband?”

 

“Why are you---” From behind her, Yeri pinches her. “OUCH! OUCH!” She shouts. “I do, Father Minki.” Cue her eye roll.

 

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.”

 

“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?”

 

Her brother is still having a laughter fit. “I hope you choke.” She tells him.

 

Minhyun stands his ground, pulling her and all she remembers is her lips on his. She freezes because his lips are red and soft and soft and soft and nice. And it feels so good and right but it also feels wrong. It feels like taking an advantage of someone with a good heart like Minhyun.

 

 

 

Later that night.

 

“Why did you even say yes to the idiots for that stupid marriage booth?” She asks Minhyun as they walk back home.

 

Minhyun looks surprised by her sudden question and takes out his wallet with money, he's smiling wickedly at her. “I have my own purpose.”

 

“Oh god!” She exclaims, jumping up to pull Minhyun's hair. “You've used me!”

 

Minhyun's laughing and trying to stop her from pulling his hair. She doesn't know whether to be angry or feel offended or happy because right now, she wants to punch Minhyun right in his pretty handsome face.

 

She stops in her place, glares hard at Minhyun who is few feet away from her.

 

He runs his fingers through his black hair and Minah has to look away. There goes the butterflies inside her stomach again flying around. Don't your wings get tired of flying? Minhyun approaches her and puts his arms around hers.

 

“I'll treat you an ice cream.” He says yet she still pouts. “Chocolate ice cream.”

 

Minah ponders and twists Minhyun's arm once more and runs away, yelling. “Two chocolate ice cream for Kang Minah!”

 

As she runs away, she can't help but wonder what if it's real and not a deal?

 

 

 

 

All alone imagining what might have been

 

When Kang Minah was nineteen, she met Im Siyeon.

 

 

It's the start of their University.

 

She's feeling giddy by the thought of going back to school. After their graduation, Minhyun and his family had gone to Paris to celebrate and she was left bored in Busan with Minki and Yeri who kept casting her pity glances every single chance they got.

 

But now, they're going to attend their University in Seoul and she's been really giddy with just the thought of reuniting with her best friend. She is taking Culinary Arts, Minki is taking Mass Communication, Yeri is taking Education and Minhyun's taking Mechanical Engineering.

 

She sees Minki and Yeri waving at her, she waves back enthusiastically back. She is about to run when she bumps into another person. They both land on the floor.

 

“Oh.” She panics, crawling to the girl she's bumped to. “I'm so sorry. Are you okay?”

 

Minki and Yeri are crowding over them by this time.

 

The girl looks at her with a small smile. “I'm okay, I'm sorry I wasn't looking, too.”

 

“Ahh. No no.” She shakes her head. “I wasn't looking too!”

 

Minah guides her to stand on her own feet.

 

“By the way, my name is Kang Minah! Freshman from this university!”

 

The girl looks happy meeting new people. “I'm Im Siyeon!” She says, waving at her.

 

Minah side glances at her friends. “And this is Minki and this is Yeri.”

 

Siyeon waves at them too. “What do you major?”

 

“I'm taking Education.” Yeri answers politely.

 

Minki smiles nicely at her. “I'm taking Mass Communication and Minah is taking Culinary Arts.”

 

“And who do we have ---- oh.” Minhyun's smile fades as she sees another person with them, his arm hanging on Minki and Yeri's shoulders. They all wait with bated breath as Minhyun stares at Siyeon.

 

He's staring at Siyeon --- as if he's a blind man his whole life and it's the first time he's seeing the colors. He's staring at Siyeon --- the way they watch the sunrise and sunset. He's staring at her as if they're not around anymore.

 

Kang Minah's stomach flips and there must be something wrong with her chest because it's burning so badly and she cannot breathe and where's the air why can I not breathe? She watches as Minhyun extends his left hand for Siyeon to take.

 

“Hwang Minhyun.” He says as if he's hypnotized, eyes never leaving Siyeon.

 

The girl shakes his hand with her right hand. “I'm Siyeon.” She says, blush on her face.

 

Minhyun notices something on Siyeon's elbow. There's a scratch and Minhyun pulls her elbow and blows air on her elbow. “This works.”

 

Her friends, Minki and Yeri, are worriedly looking at her.

 

Minah's lips wavers and looks away with a fake smile on her face.

 

She's no longer giddy by the thought of being in the same university with Minhyun.

 

But you promised me you wouldn't be like my Dad, Minhyun.

 

Why do I feel like you're also going away?

 

 

 

If I had been there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter