Wonderful Gray Skies

Raindrops

Sungyoon browsed at the photos stored in his phone. It is mostly filled with Jaeseok's face and he can't stop himself from smiling.

It was raining outside. He is just sitting in his bed, left with nothing to do but feel dreamy and think of how beautiful Jaeseok is. He is too perfect, there is nothing else Sungyoon can ask for. The feeling of content just being with his bestfriend is all that Sungyoon needs in his life.

He remembered the day when he knew that Jaeseok will be the only one whom he loves for the rest of his life.

Like a movie, it started with that fated encounter. Sungyoon was a highschool student before. He was about to go home from school when suddenly it started to rain. Everyone has their own umbrella and he doesn't have friends yet because their family just moved there. He felt alone and sad, and he hates himself for not bringing an umbrella. He was about to give up and run home when suddenly a tall guy walked beside him and talked to him.

"Don't you have an umbrella? We can share mine if you want." The tall guy smiled at him with all the sweetness and care in the world. Even the cold wind felt warm against his skin. The gloomy atmosphere caused by the rain became so beautiful and romantic just from the smile that made Sungyoon's mind blank.

"Oh. I forgot to bring one. Can I really share it with you?" He looked at the umbrella the tall guy was holding and it was pretty big for the two of them.

"Of course. I'm Jaeseok by the way. Park Jaeseok." He offered his hand to Sungyoon and Sungyoon gladly shakes it.

"Uhm. Thank you. I am Choi Sungyoon. A pleasure to meet you." His hand looked so little from the manly hands of Jaeseok. Sungyoon can't help but wonder why his heart was beating so fast that time.

He thought that he would meet his first love in a bright sunny day. In a place where the autumn leaves are falling. But no. This was perfect. Instead of a bright sunny day, he gets a sky painted with nothing but a sad shade of gray. Instead of autumn leaves, he gets to meet his first love in a time where the tears from the gray skies are falling. But no. It was way too beautiful. Because if he met him otherwise, he might had missed the opportunity to see how bright and wonderful Jaeseok's smile was that day. And how wonderful his heart was that made Sungyoon's heart the one to be falling.

Sungyoon smiled as he remembers all of it. He closes his eyes and all he can think of is how thankful he is that he get to have Jaeseok as his bestfriend.

"I don't need him to love me. There's no use if I tell him what I feel. I'm happy this way. I'm happy to get to live my life with him, even if I'm only his bestfriend." Sungyoon whispered to himself as a some soft music plays and fill the room with loving and caring vibe.

Everything was peaceful until he heard Jangjun's voice.

"Hyung. Hyung." Jangjun shouts then knocks at the door.

Sungyoon's face just turned sour. Of course. Jangjun will be the one to ruin his peaceful day. He goes to the door and opens it for Jangjun.

"What? Why are you too loud. Well, you have been loud ever since you were born." Sungyoon chuckled.

"Yaah, Sungyoon there's no time for that. I heard someone will ask Jaeseok hyung on a date." Jangjun said as he enters the house and go straight to where the water is. He clearly looks thirsty.

"How dare you barge in like that and drink water like you live in this apartment." Sungyoon said. He has this judging face of him that he uses whenever Jangjun annoys him. But he really is fond of Jangjun, he just enjoys dissing him at times.

"Nah, Sungyoon. I know you love me." Jangjun said as soon as he drinks a glass of water. "So, hyung. What should we do with the girl? I know for sure that Jaeseok will turn her down like how he did to those who asked him on a date before. He always does." Jangjun added. He leans on the kitchen sink as he talks like he just stated some undisputed fact.

"So? What do you want from me? Should I act shocked or something?" Sungyoon rasied his eyesbrows still lost why Jangjun would walk in the rain and come to his apartment just to talk about Jaeseok. No one knows that he loves Jaeseok so why would Jangjun think that he cares about the guy's love life?

"Well. I figured you would want to know the truth." Jangjun's sly smile sent shivers to Sungyoon's spine. What truth can this be? He asked to himself.

"What do you mean? Jangjun if this is one of your jokes again. I'm never falling for that again." Sungyoon crossed his arms clearly losing his patience with his friend.

"Well."

"Oh please stop saying well, get to the point already." Sungyoon started washing the glass that Jangjun used because it looks messy whenever Jangjun uses his things.

"Jaeseok loves you." Sungyoon turned to face Jangjun and he drops the glass he was holding. Jangjun's fast reflexes saves the glass from being shattered and places it back to the sink. He laughs at how Sungyoon was frozen with the three words he just said.

"Sungyoon? Hyung? Hello?" Jangjun waves his hand in front of Sungyoon's face. Still no reaction. Then he started shaking Sungyoon. "SUNGYOOOOOOOOON!" CHOI SUNGYOON!" Jangjun's loud voice had brought Sungyoon back to his senses.

"Yah, stop it." Pushing Jangjun's hands away. "I'm okay now. I am fine. There's nothing wrong with me."

But his thoughts are in a mess right now. No. He vowed he won't expect his love for Jaeseok to grow into something other than unrequited love. He just reminded himself this before Jangjun comes dropping the bomb like that. No I won't get swayed by this.

"You are lying." Sungyoon said.

"No I'm not." Jangjun looks proud and there was no sign of him bluffing with what he said. Could it be true? Sungyoon thought.

"So how did you learned about this thing you are claiming to be true?"

"From Jaeseok himself." Jangjun really wants Sungyoon dead. He enjoyed how Sungyoon's face reveals what he feels.

"No. That. It's not. Never." Sungyoon can't construct a complete thought. If Jaeseok really feels the same way about him, Sungyoon don't know if he should be happy or what.

Jangjun told Sungyoon all about the night when Jaeseok revealed his secret.

"So Jaeseok accidentally drank alcohol during my birthday celebration and started spilling relevant information."

"Wait. I was there too. There's no way I have missed that."

"Sungyoon. That was that time when you went to Japan with your girlfriend. Remember, the girlfriend who left you because she feels like you are in love with someone else." How can Sungyoon forget that. The only time he tried to move on from his feelings for Jaeseok. The only time he entertained someone whi confessed her feelings to him.

"Wait. That's like 2 years ago already. Why are you bringing that up now?" Sungyoon asked. Two years. Jaeseok likes him for two years now.

"Well. You have a girlfriend that time and it seems like you are not getting out of that relationship until she broke uo with you last year, you are too good for her anyway. But yeah. I forgot about it and Jaeseok seems to have no idea that he said that to me.

"How can you forget something like that?"

"Hmm. I was drunk that time and I didn't realized that it was real. Not until today actually. And I only verified that you have feelings for him too just now."

"What? No. I don't!" Sungyoon said defensively.

"Yes you do, and now we need to go to Jaeseok and stop him if ever he says yes to that girl."

They went to their university, straight to the common grounds where Jangjun said the girl would confess to Jaeseok. When they arrived, everyone was cheering and Sungyoon found the love of his life. Hugging a girl, smiling like crazy.

"Can you see Jaeseok?" Jangjun asked. Of course Sungyoon can spot Jaeseok in a crowd no matter what. That smile of him is etched on Sungyoon's mind and there is no way that he can forget that smile.

"Let's go." Sungyoon said with a low voice. He never should have hoped for this. He lost his opportunity already. That was 2 years ago. Jaeseok may feel different now. Maybe he loves that girl now. Sungyoon tried to believe these and thought that he should just go back to his mindset of loving Jaeseok without being loved back.