Part 1

Promise Ring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyung! I like this bracelet!” said Sunghoon, excitement clear in his voice. “Why don't we wear it so it will always remind us of our friendship?”

But I don’t see you as a friend, Hoon-ah. I haven’t for a long time, Jiwon thought.

Sunghoon kept staring at it, not able to take his eyes off it. It was obvious how much he liked it. So Jiwon bought a pair of them, silver with their initials “K” and “J” engraved. Jiwon paid the entire cost, just like a good “hyung”. He was happy because of the joy on Sunghoon’s face when he did. In Jiwon’s heart it was like buying a gift for his boyfriend.

Later, they went to the beach. They helped each other put on the bracelets as the sun’s last beams lit the beach, sea and sky a fiery orange. Jiwon put the bracelet on Sunghoon’s right wrist first, then Sunghoon put it on Jiwon’s right too.

That was how they got their first matching items.

They got their second matching item the day before they were to go back to Korea. It was a pair of promise rings they wore on necklaces. The promise that whatever happened, they would always be there for each other.

At the time it was something Sunghoon genuinely believed. He had misunderstood the meaning of a promise ring. Jiwon on the other hand knew the real meaning. He did not tell Sunghoon it. He wanted one with Sunghoon but had not been able to get it because that would mean he would have to confess, and he did not dare do that. Sunghoon’s innocence worked in his favor in that matter.

Until one day.

“Sunghoon, why are you wearing a promise ring?” Jiyong asked him.

“Oh, this ring?” Sunghoon answered and held up his hand. “This is for mine and Jiwon-hyung’s promise to always be there for each other.”

Jiyong’s laughter startled Sunghoon. “That is not the meaning of a promise ring!” he said.

“What do you mean? It’s a promise between me and Jiwon-hyung!”

But Jiyong only walked away laughing.

Confused, Sunghoon looked for Jiwon. “Hyung, Jiyong said our promise ring is not a promise ring! What does he mean? Won't we always be there for each other?”

Jiwon looked at Sunghoon with mounting horror as he talked – he was going to be exposed. "Of course we will always be there for each other," he said. It was true.

“I was afraid hyung. They laughed at me. They said this isn't a promise ring.”

Jiwon looked Sunghoon straight in his eyes and said, “You shouldn’t listen to them. I promise you I will always be here for you. This ring is just a symbol of how much I love you. You will always be my beloved dongsaeng.” Dongsaeng, thought Jiwon. Really, Jiwon? He wanted to laugh at himself.

The words made Sunghoon happy… but he couldn’t help the ache in his heart. He had to tell Jiwon too. He said, "You're my best friend. Do you know how much I've always looked up to you? You took care of me, when I first arrived in Hawaii."

“You're the first family I had in the world with only me,” Jiwon answered.

"And you're mine," said Sunghoon.

Their faces were only inches from each other now.

“Hey, what are you guys doing? Are you about to kiss?” Suwon said jokingly.

When had Suwon entered the room? Jiwon stepped back, looking intently at Sunghoon and his reaction. Was he embarrassed? Scared? Or just plain surprised?

Emotions flickered over Sunghoon's face until his mouth settled into a straight line. "I wish!" he said.

It was quiet for a few moments.

Jiwon let out a burst of surprised laughter. Sunghoon couldn’t be serious. Jiwon wouldn’t be either. "My angel is so cute!" he said and pinched Sunghoon’s cheek. "Come here, Hoon-ah!" He pulled Sunghoon closer and kissed him on the cheek.

"Oh my god," said Suwon and walked away stiffly like a robot. Better leave them alone, he thought.

Jiwon was gonna kiss Sunghoon's cheek again, but Sunghoon turned his head and their lips met. Jiwon’s shock was an understatement. He froze. He didn’t know what to think or what to do. What would he say?

"Hyung, are you okay?" Sunghoon asked, tentatively reaching out his hand. "Hyung!" Sunghoon was shaking Jiwon’s arm. Hard.

"I... I..." Jiwon couldn't find words. This was something that had only existed in his fantasies for so long. His mouth opened and closed, like a very unattractive fish. His brain was fuzzy.

Sunghoon heart dropped. He had ruined this. Jiwon’s reaction was enough to tell him Jiwon didn’t feel the same way as him. He thought Jiwon loved him more than that of a friend or a brother. It seemed he was wrong. "I’m sorry, hyung!" Sunghoon said and turned his back to Jiwon, about to run out of the room. He needed to get out of there, his heart hurt too much.

Sunghoon leaving was like a trigger in Jiwon. He shouted, "Wait!" and placed a hand on Sunghoon's shoulder. Sunghoon turned around, despair on his face. His lower lip was trembling. "Hoon-ah, don't be sorry," Jiwon said.

Sunghoon looked at Jiwon silently begging him to continue.

"I’m sorry. It’s just that I was surprised. I’ve wanted this to happen for a long time but I don’t know how I could ever tell you my feelings without scaring you off. When you wanted to get the same bracelet I said yes because in my mind it’s our couple bracelet. Then you thought of the promise rings. Yes, it’s a promise that we will always be there for each other. But for me my promise to you is that I will always be there for you because I love you. Not as a friend or a brother, but as a lover."

"We're lovers?" squeaked Sunghoon.

"If you want to," said Jiwon

Sunghoon smiled and whispered, "I love you, hyung.”

"I love you too, Hoon-ah. You don't know how much I’ve longed to say that."

The space between their bodies lessened. Jiwon had often fantasized of those sweet lips, and now he could finally taste them.

Jiwon leaned in slowly, wanting to enjoy the moment but Sunghoon was eager. He leaned in and closed the distance. Their lips pressed together, first in a slow way trying to fit their lips together, but that was soon forgotten and they kissed hungrily. Sunghoon had his arms around Jiwon's shoulders. Jiwon wrapped his arms around Sunghoon's thin waist, holding him closer, their bodies pressed flush together.

"Jiwon-hyung! Where are you?"

Jiwon could hear Jaejin’s footsteps getting nearer. He jumped away from Sunghoon. "! The door’s unlocked!" he hissed.

Jaejin shouted for Jiwon again.

"I’m here Jaejin-ah! What do you want?" Jiwon shouted back.

"We have to go now or else we’re going to be late." Jaejin’s voice was a little bit weaker than before. He was leaving.

"My angel, we have to go now but we will continue this later," Jiwon said and touched Sunghoon's cheek gently.

Sunghoon didn't want to go, he didn't want to continue this later. He kissed Jiwon again, and again... and then one last time.

Jiwon's grabbed his hand then. "Hoon-ah, I don't want to quit now either, but we have to go."

Sunghoon looked down at their hands. Jiwon was holding his right hand with his own. He looked down at their matching bracelets.

Jiwon pulled Sunghoon with him. "Hoon-ah, come on we really need to go."

As they walked to the door, Sunghoon's eyes stayed at their bracelets, thinking back to the day they went to get them. So Jiwon-hyung already felt differently for me then? Sunghoon thought to himself. He stopped just as they reached the door. "Hyung, I just have to ask.."

Jiwon turned to look at Sunghoon, tender look in his eyes.

"When we got the bracelets.... you already felt something for me?"

Jiwon was quiet for a moment, contemplating his answer. He'd already confessed, this wouldn't be any worse. "Yes," he said. "I don’t really know when I started to love you… I’ve just needed to always see you. I look forward to seeing your beautiful smile. I want to make you laugh. Your presence makes my day. I have the need to always protect you. When you’re sad it’s like the entire world is sad."

Sunghoon's heart fluttered and he felt warm down to his toes. He leaned in and wrapped his arms around Jiwon. "I love you, I love you" he whispered in Jiwon's ear. Letting his head rest in the cradle of Jiwon's neck, he said "I don't want to go."

"You don't know how much I want to stay with you my angel," said Jiwon, holding Sunghoon close and kissing him gently. "But we have to go. Don't worry, this is a short schedule and we don’t have practice until tomorrow afternoon. Stay with me tonight." Jiwon winked at Sunghoon.

Sunghoon blushed and his heart was beating fast.

~*~

Later that night, Sunghoon followed Jiwon home. He had not been able to concentrate on the schedule, his heart beating wildly in his chest. In Jiwon's room he saw the necklace with the ring at the nightstand and he remembered. It was like a shock went through his body when it hit him. Could the ring have meant something else too?

Jiwon came from behind, hugging Sunghoon and kissing his neck. "My sweet angel," Jiwon whispered.

Sunghoon couldn’t help but stretch his neck to give Jiwon better access and moaned, "Hyung..."Sunghoon was breathing hard, but then he felt the cold material of Jiwon's necklace and it was like cold water was poured on his face. "Wait, hyung… hyung!" Sunghoon said and stepped away from Jiwon's embrace.

"What's wrong my angel? Are you not ready for this? Am I moving too fast?"

"No and no. It’s not about that… your necklace..." Sunghoon said and watched Jiwon's hand grasp the necklace he wore. "You're wearing our necklace so whose necklace and ring is that at your nightstand?"

"It’s not what you think, let me explain!” Jiwon said and Sunghoon sat down on Jiwon’s bed and waited for his explanation, arms crossed.

Jiwon stepped forward to pick up the necklace. “This is… This was my necklace I shared with my ex."

"Ex?" Sunghoon asked.

"Yeah, Seyoung-noona." Jiwon answered.

"....Seyoung-noona, your first love," Sunghoon said, the hurt clearly heard in his voice. He remembered her well.

"Yeah… no! No! Hoon-ah! That’s the past!" said Jiwon and grabbed onto Sunghoon's arms. "Sunghoon look at me! Please.…"

Hearing Jiwon plead made Sunghoon look into Jiwon's eyes. “Do you always exchange promises?” Sunghoon couldn’t help the tone seeping into his voice. Jiwon’s eyes looked into his with all the care in the world, but Sunghoon couldn’t help feeling the stab wound in his heart.

"No! And that ring means nothing. She broke our promise long ago when she met someone else.”

"But why do you have it here if it's in the past?" Sunghoon asked.

"Because it doesn't mean anything anymore, that’s why it’s here. I thoughtlessly brought it with me when we came back to Korea. Believe me, it means nothing. If it still meant something I would have kept it in a safe place, taking care of it. But it’s not. It’s with other junk on my nightstand. It’s junk to me," Jiwon pleaded.

"... But hyung, you don't have any junk on your nightstand. It's right beside you when you sleep. You didn't throw it away. Are you keeping it for the memories?"

"There is nothing to keep Hoon-ah. I’ve thrown away everything of her. I’m sorry I missed this one. Please believe me. She’s nothing to me now."

Sunghoon wanted to believe Jiwon. He thought back to those days. Sometimes he had third-wheeled on their dates. Now he realized what the upset feeling in his chest back then had been, how it was not only him feeling left out by his best friend. Sunghoon thought of how crushed Jiwon had been when she dumped him. Had that wound really healed?

"I want to believe you hyung, I really do. But I think this is too soon. Let’s just see each other at practice tomorrow." Sunghoon said. He got up from Jiwon’s bed and began walking towards the door. I've liked Jiwon-hyung since then, but I don't want to put my heart out there if he's not sure he's over her. I've been hurt a long time, I don't want to get hurt even more, Sunghoon told himself, trying to convince himself this was what he wanted. This time Jiwon didn’t try to stop Sunghoon when he left. Sunghoon walked out, mixed feelings swimming in his chest. It hurt, hurt so bad. They’d been so happy earlier, he’d finally gotten what he so long dreamed of. Should he have just ignored this and continued to chase Jiwon? No, that would only result in pain. He didn’t like to cry, but now he couldn’t stop the tears dripping down his cheeks.

~*~

Jiwon sat on his bed, numb. He reached out for the other promise ring on his nightstand and picked it up. Then he went to the table and picked up the phone. Looking at the board on his wall, he dialed the phone number written in red.

"Noona, this is Jiwon. Yes, let's meet. I’m free tonight. Okay, I'll be there in 15 minutes,” he said. Jiwon sighed as he put down the phone. He turned around and his eyes fell on the bed. I'll make this right Hoon-ah. I'll make you see how much you mean to me. You'll see, Jiwon thought as he put on his jacket and put the promise ring in his pocket. Jiwon went outside and jumped into his car. It was already dark outside and he drove to the place.

Since Seyoung had returned to Korea a few days ago, she had made a single call to Jiwon – that was when he'd taken out the promise ring, when she called. He'd then just left it at his nightstand. He came to a stop outside her hotel, the class building lit up in the night. It was a new and luxury one. He sat outside waiting in his car, his heart beating nervously. He focused on the music, which was all about angry love and drummed his fingers against the wheel. Then the side front door opened. Jiwon looked up as she sat down in the front seat.

"My Wonnie! You finally called!" she said as she leaned forward for hug.

"I am not your Wonnie. Have not been since you cheated on me," Jiwon replied, pushing her back.

"Are you still mad about that?" she asked.

"I’m not mad. I really don't care anymore. You’re existence have ceased to matter to me a long time ago." Jiwon replied and he got the ring from his pocket. He handed it over to her. "Here's your ring."

Seyoung took Jiwon's hand instead.

"Let go of me, noona. I won’t play your games anymore. I finally got tired of it. I realized a while back who I should be loving and I finally have the chance to love that person. Please take your ring and get out of my car."

"Who's this person?" Seyoung asked and took the ring.

"None of your business. I can finally say goodbye to you. Now please get out."

I don’t really care about the ring, Jiwon. I want you back. You were mine before and I'll have you again, Seyoung thought as she watched Jiwon's car drive off. A man came over and she handed him a wad of cash.

~*~

It was very late when Jiwon got back home. He would talk to Sunghoon tomorrow, when they had both calmed down.

~*~

Next morning, Sunghoon went about his morning as usual until he was interrupted by a phone call.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter