• THIRTY EIGHT •

The Apprentices: Exchanged (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone kept quiet as Inna tries to deactivate Subin’s power.

Beside her is Yixing; who’s sending nutrients to Subin’s body. Her health is depleting to an extent that she might not make it.

Thankfully, they arrived on time— however, just in time to see Suho kept trying to pry the dagger away from Subin’s hands while Yina kneels beside him, crying as she panics;

They were really that close to losing her.

Aecha joined in the action as well, going to the underworld to pull Subin out of there.

It really took 3 people to make it happen when Subin finally opens her eyes, finally letting go of the ancient dagger.

She gasped for air as soon as she woke up and everyone finally lets go of their breaths that they held.

Relief, that’s what they all felt.

Losing her would cost a lot; not only that she’s one of the people that holds potential answers to their problem, it would also disturb most of them.

They vowed to not lose anyone in the process, if it happens; they will live in regretting everything. None of them will live through that without feeling guilty

Baekhyun drops to the ground— his knees weakened, “Thank the skies! I really thought she’ll ing die”

Chanyeol smacked the back of his head for the unnecessary comment.

Subin looks around weakly, obviously not knowing what’s going on but what knew is that she felt horrible.

Every inch of her body hurts, heck even her mentally is exhausted.

“What happened?”, she asks, her voice cracking

felt really dry and it hurts, her hand flew to and she winced.

It didn’t take Suho twice to offer her water (the cup made off from bamboo) and he quickly pass it to her.

She took careful sips but also misses, splashing water all over as her hands are trembling. Suho helped her by holding the cup for her, mumbling a weak thank you, she took 3 gulps before setting down the cup.

"Did I really almost die?", she asks them.

Yina cried dramatically beside her and said loudly, "Your pulse were almost non-existent-- you scared the hell out of me!"

"Kang Yina", Suho warned her sternly in which she replied with a harsh, "What?"

Subin might be a little shock with the tone Yina uses but she knew that she doesn't mean it. She looks very shaken by the situation and Subin can't help but apologize.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that the dagger had a long history", Subin apologizes to everyone before turning to Yina, "Sorry that you had to witness that for a few days"

Yina sniffles, "I'm glad that you came back. Seriously, I'd really blame myself if you died", she then wipes her tears away with hands but immediately cursed when she realised her hands were covered with sand.

Now she has sand all over her face and unfortunately, some came into her eyes,

"Oh hell no— ouch!", she immediately flails around as she whines, searching for Suho's arms. Her eyes hurts and she can't even open her eyes and the leader can't help but sigh out loud

Why does she keep on doing unpredictable things?

He was about to call Yixing but stopped when he realizes that the healer is helping Subin to recover some of her energy back

That means that left him with no choice but to help her himself

He sighs once again and dragged Yina to the back. The area around Subin is pretty much crowded as they watch her in worry, not even one spare a glance on Yina. Not even her own twin

"Where are you taking me?", Yina asks while being dragged to somewhere and he calmly replied, "Just stay still"

"It hurts", she complains with her eyes shut and was about to rub her eyes once again but Suho stopped her by holding both her hands with one of his

"It'll get worst Yina, hold on—"

"How long do I have to wait?!", she shrieks, her eyes kept watering and eventhough she can't see anything, she could already tell that Suho is really done with her.

"I'll wash your hands first"

She could feel water going through her hands and not even 3 seconds past, she already impatiently brings her hands up to her face

Suho lets out sounds of displease and brought her hand down again, "You didn't even wash it properly damn it, I'll do it myself"

Yina began to jump up and down, "Shut it and just hurry up. It really hurts"

Suho uses his hands to get rid of the sand with water and made sure there’s nothing left. He then made her hands gather, filling them with water before finally letting her wash her eyes

"There"

Yina didn't waste any time and immediately wash her eyes, blinking furiously in the water on her hands. Suho stood silently in front of her, with his hands ready to refill her with fresh water

"More?", he asks and Yina nods, her eyes closed but hands extending to him. Her hair is now sticking onto her face since her whole face is wait, he almost laughed but held it in.

He quickly refills her hand with water and when he's done, he walks behind her and gathered her short hair to the back so it won't go in her way.

"Thanks", he heard her gurgle and he crack up a smile in the end.

Ridiculous, this one.

It's been a while since he sees this side of her, the past days had been serious and hectic so her reckless personality got toned down. It’s been peaceful without her stirring his life and as much as he wants to deny it, he kind of miss it.

Suho went back to his straight face when she straightens her back, finally standing with her chin up but red, half-opened eyes

Her face is scrunched up and he can't help but knock her head softly

"Why do you keep on causing trouble?", he scolded and Yina scowled. "Do you really think I want sand in my eyes?", she asks sarcastically as she blinks away the excess water in her eyes

Suho shook his head, his fingers pointing to her repeatedly. "Stop being careless, what are you going to do if there's no one taking care of you?"

"Ayy", Yina refutes while dusting the sand off her clothes, "You'll always be there to help me anyways", she nonchalantly replies.

Suho blinks and suddenly, he can't think of anything. His mind went blank and all he could hear is his heart racing.

What's happening?

When Yina lifts her head up, finally finished dusting her clothes she finds him staring at her with a dumbfounded facial expression

"What is it?", she asks him while frowning.

Suho snaps out of his reverie, his eyebrows furrowed and asks, "What makes you think I'll always be here to help?"

Yina frowns and tilts her head, "Well, you're always the one who approaches me first if I get in trouble."

"Brave of you to assume that I'll keep helping you"

"If you're not around then I'll go to someone else for help", Yina replies, shrugging her shoulder as she walks pass him without thinking further.

She has a point, she could always ask someone else but why does that make him anxious? She'll ask someone else? Who?

"That's not what I'm trying to say", he stuttered, his hands automatically grabbing hers.

Yina felt herself getting pulled back gently and she frowns, what's wrong with him?

She turns around and was about to tell him off but after seeing his confused face, she stopped. Suho were looking at his hand which is currently grabbing onto hers in confusion, Yina could almost see storms going on inside his head as he figures out what he had done

Yina kept quiet as she stares at him with curious eyes, wondering why he's acting really weird

Or is it because..

"Are you panicking right now?", a small laugh went out of her lips. "Just because I said I'll go and bother someone else instead of you?"

"I'm not! Who said that?", Suho denied loudly and finally let’s go of her hand. He cleared his voice and looks away, his ears red

Yina tilts her head in a playful manner and points at him, "You definitely are! Wow have I finally grown onto you?", she smiles widely and flips her wet hair.

"That took me longer than usual but of course you would finally get use to me in the end", she sighs happily and twirls around to go back to where the rest are resting-- leaving him standing there alone, speechless.

"What was that, Kim Junmyeon really..", he mumbles to himself as he drag his feet back to the main spot.

As soon as he reaches them, he squats down near Yixing and asks, "Is she doing okay?"

Subin is currently lying down on the ground with Yixing by her side, the rest of their friends all dispersed into groups— sitting on the ground as well.

The healer nods, "She's fine now but it will take her weeks to recover fully. I'll have to constantly check on her so maybe 2 weeks is the minimum?", Yixing calculated in his head.

Hearing about this, Subin sighs and apologizes once more. "I feel like I'm just a nuisance to everyone"

"Nonsense!", Aecha quickly dismiss her thoughts. The necromancer overheard her as she was sitting near to them and gave her a reassuring smile, coming over while patting her hand, "We don't have any plans on what to do currently anyways. Just focus on recovering as we figure something out okay?"

"Thank you", Subin says softly.

Aecha, being the mom of the group despite not being the oldest has always gives them a sense of belonging. She has that personality that could calm people and emotional support is what they all need right now.

Subin wonders if she'll really be a help to the group because she can't fight nor she is strategic in planning defenses or attacks. Although Aecha told her that she's not hindering them at all, she still feels like she is.

But then it hits her, those memories that she saw while being unconscious. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter