Destination

Kaukokaipuu

When Minwoo returned, Dongwan was greeted just as pleasantly as he was when he first arrived. Dongwan paid the rent for his room as promised, but promptly asked if it was possible to rent for another two weeks.

“You like San Fran that much?” joked Minwoo after he took a small bite of the sandwich he was eating.

It was supposed to be Dongwan’s last day in the city. He was supposed to go elsewhere for some trivial reason that was no longer important. He had a reason to stay in Cali now. It was a reason he didn’t want to admit but couldn’t help holding onto.

“Yes, I guess I do,” Dongwan smiled from across the counter. “I just feel like I haven’t explored it enough. Like there’s something else I haven’t discovered yet.”

It wasn’t a lie, not exactly, but admitting the truth seemed more ridiculous than the fortune itself. It was twice as baffling that Dongwan received a message in a fortune cookie the night before Minwoo came home that further solidified the idea.

You will discover what you are looking for when you no longer seek it.

Minwoo shrugged. He didn’t know what Dongwan was on about, but the sudden change of plans almost felt like fate.

Just before he came home from his vacation in Peru, Minwoo had met a mysterious psychic woman in a marketplace. He found the place when they ended up taking an unexpected detour from his traveling route. His old friends were traveling with him. Eric was up for the adventure, while Hyesung and Andy called the spot shady and refused to leave the car.

After browsing at the stalls, Minwoo and Eric had their fortunes read while the others still insisted upon staying in the jeep, just in case Hyesung needed to use his Taekwondo skills on bandits. They remained while complaining about the humidity and God why did we let them drag us out here in the first place.

Eric’s reading pertained to money, which he felt was justified considering the money he spent on the fortune. Minwoo’s took a bit longer. Eric stood close behind him, protective and cautious as the woman held both Minwoo’s hands across the small round table.

A few minutes passed before she released them and Minwoo rubbed the tension out of them. She stared thoughtfully at him before smiling.

Release the binds of old yearnings to make way for new beginnings. The key to your future is the letter “W”

It made no sense at the time, but premonitions were never cut and dry. Minwoo pondered it even as he returned to the car.

“Ya, Minbong,” fussed Hyesung from the backseat. “Don’t go looking into space while you’re driving.”

“We’re gonna die,” Andy sighed.

He placed a hand on Hyesung’s shoulder and gave him a sincere look.

“It’s been nice knowing you, hyung.”

Eric turned around in his seat with a wide grin plastered on his face.

“Sorry guys,” he said unapologetically. “If my fortune is right and Minwoo crashes, I’m gonna be the lone survivor and collect from the insurance policy we both got on the car.”

That earned him a kick from Hyesung and the entire car erupted into laughter. Minwoo happily laughed along as he started the car, but for a moment glanced at Hyesung through the rear-view mirror.

The psychic was right. After ten years of longing, it was time to let it go.

….

Now, Minwoo sat across his kitchen counter from an absolute stranger. A man who seemed kind and took good care of his home while he was gone, but was otherwise a mystery. The timing was just too much of a coincidence. It could mean absolutely nothing, but maybe…just maybe…

Minwoo reached across the counter and offered his hand to Dongwan in the same friendly fashion he’d done when they first met on his doorstep.

“Well, for whatever reason, I’ll be happy to have you Dongwan.”

Dongwan took his hand and shook it firmly.

“It’s Wannie.”

Minho blinked twice, then made a weird face as he asked;

“I’m sorry, what?”

Dongwan released his hand and smiled shyly, rubbing the back of his neck in a cutely embarrassed way.

“Wannie,” he repeated bashfully. “My friends call me Wannie. I…hope we get along well during this time.”

The name repeated in Minwoo’s head like a mantra. One that became a chant, a bell, a song. A sign of fate.

Minwoo laughed in spite of himself and shook his head. After his momentary hysteria passed, he smiled brightly at Dongwan.

“Wannie,” Minwoo said happily. “I’m sure we will.”

END