Journey

Kaukokaipuu

You will discover happiness in a distant land. The key to your future is the letter “M”

When Kim Dongwan received his fortune, he laughed out loud. It sounded made up on the spot, random, and like a cheap fortune cookie message. It was baffling considering the fifty dollars he impulsively spent to have it read. He thanked the woman for her time regardless and left her tent feeling like he wasted both his time and money.

Dongwan was skeptical, having met the woman in a very shady marketplace in Peru. However, after several heartbreaks and one too many cold nights alone, he slowly started to embrace the idea, thinking the romantic notion wasn’t such a bad thing to believe in after all.

Five years drifted by as the hiker from Busan trekked from one end of South Korea to the other. His stops included the bamboo-rich towns of Damyang and the peaks of Bukhansan elevated high above the metropolitan sprawl of Seoul. Dongwan came to realize that he was subconsciously searching for his fated love everywhere he traveled. But even when his travels took him outside of his home country, they had been in vain.

In his tiresome journey, Dongwan was reminded why he first scoffed at his fortune. There had been no magic spark when he met someone’s eyes. He had been to bed with many, but never felt a fire ignited deeper within him other than that of his loins when he was about to have an . He was forty now, and though he’d still mindlessly search for his far-fetched miraculous love, he was starting to lose hope.

Dongwan sat at his desk, scrutinizing one travel package after another displayed on separate tabs in his browser. He had taken a month off of work this time and instead of hiking decided to travel for leisure. If he found his so-called destiny in the process, well, that would be a bonus.

His options boiled down to a choice between a trip to San Francisco and Switzerland. He was leaning more towards the States. After his last trip to Finland, the mere thought of going to Europe again made him nervous.

Dongwan had a particularly unpleasant experience with a wicked woman who had a beautiful dog. They met after running into one another along a countryside hiking trail. The cheerful German shepherd found him first, and just when he was about to search for the owner, a breathtaking red-haired beauty came trotting along beckoning the canine.

They hit it off after that and met quite a few times for drinks. A part of him started to believe that she was the one the psychic had predicted he would meet. That was until he awakened one morning, his mind hazy after blacking out in his hotel room. They had finally slept together but when his head stopped pounding, he realized that he was alone. He was shocked to discover that his wallet was missing and his suitcase was bare.

Her name was Melina. Needless to say, she was not the key to Dongwan’s future.

Begging in broken English in a strange European city wearing only socks and a pair of boxers wasn’t an experience he wanted to repeat.

Dongwan didn’t spare it a second thought and quickly clicked on the trip to San Francisco. After registration, he printed out the attachment provided in his confirmation email, adding it to an itinerary he’d complete later. He booked a flight to America that would depart in two days, giving him ample time to pack.

Dongwan leaned back in his chair and sighed. He anticipated the long days and nights spent lounging under the warm sun. He would just relish in his time off, lounging around some rich American’s time-shared home.

No dirt trails or devious foreign beauties. No more thoughts of star-crossed lovers or soulmates. He would simply be a single middle-aged bachelor enjoying a long overdue vacation. His so-called destiny would have to sit on the back burner.        

The sun burned high in the Californian sky, its hot rays streaking the airport with hazy beams of orange light. Dongwan shielded his eyes with his shades as he glanced around. His car rental had fallen through at the last moment, which left him with the grueling task of hailing a cab.

Dongwan dragged his luggage to the curb outside the airport, raising his arm as cars pulled in and out of the area. After what felt like an hour, a taxi finally halted in front of him. The driver got out to pop the trunk, stepping aside as Dongwan wrestled his two large suitcases into it. He hopped into the back seat, pulling the door shut as the driver sat behind the wheel once again. Dongwan carefully explained his address to the driver, and with an understanding nod they pulled off and headed to his destination.

He had taken additional English lessons after his mishap in Finland, as well as Japanese and Chinese. He learned his lesson back in Europe and the last thing he wanted to do was learn it again in America. A cocky grin spread across his face, now that he was making his way across San Francisco without a hitch.

So far, he had a good feeling about this trip.  

Dongwan watched the rural scenery pass by as his taxi navigated his way to his Airbnb rented vacation home. It was listed as a spacious two-story condominium located on a block with houses of a similar design. He was informed that the owner would be gone for the first weeks of his stay but would be returning during the last two. The man would be working, remaining out of Dongwan’s way for the most part. In spite of the stranger’s presence, he could anticipate that his four weeks in Cali would be relaxing ones.     

They were now in an area where all the houses gleamed white. All the lawns were freshly cut, some with rose bushes and others with grassy sculptures adorning the center of the yards. Some recycle bins lay toppled over near the curb but it was otherwise a very pristine street.

The taxi screeched to a stop in front of a house in the middle of the block. Nothing was particularly grand about it but Dongwan could tell the home was well structured like the rest, solid and clean. He wasn’t a superficial person though, so all that really mattered to him was interior comfort, something he would have to experience once he went inside.

“Need any help with those bags, man?” the driver offered as Dongwan paid him the fare. 

“No. Thank you,” Dongwan said in accented English, climbing out of the car as the trunk popped open.

Once he retrieved his belongings and closed the trunk, he ducked his head and smiled at the driver, who wished him a good vacation before pulling off. Dongwan dragged his luggage up the smooth sidewalk that lead to the front door and set them at his feet in front of the door.

Before he could raise his hand to knock, it popped open and a youthful man emerged from inside.

Dongwan blinked in surprise. He was informed that the owner of the home was the same age as him, but the short man in front of him didn’t look a day over twenty-two. His muscular yet slender frame fit comfortably in his knee-length khaki shorts and tight black tank. His features were dominantly Korean, but his sun-kissed skin and wavy brown hair made him look purely Californian, like he’d been here surfing its shores his entire life.

Ignoring Dongwan’s hesitation, the man smiled. It was a kind smile, as warm as the sun itself, captivating Dongwan as he offered his hand, his curly fringe falling in front of his soft brown eyes.

“You must be Kim Dongwan,” he said in a light yet masculine voice, and much to his relief, in Korean.

“And you must be Mr. Lee Minwoo,” Dongwan happily replied in Korean as he accepted the extended hand.

“You can just call me Minwoo,” he insisted with an amused chuckle. 

Dongwan chuckled awkwardly, feeling a bit flustered about his formality after such a lax greeting. Their hands came apart and Minwoo stepped aside, gesturing inside with a head jerk and friendly smile still plastered on his face.

“Why don’t you come in and let me show you around,” Minwoo offered. “Sorry ahead of time if this seems rushed. I expected you sooner and thought I would have more time to show you a proper welcome, but I have to make my way to work soon. Figured I could at least give you a house tour before I go.”

“I understand, and I do apologize for that,” Dongwan sighed. “My rental care never showed up so I got stuck hailing a cab in what I think is still consider intermediate English, no less.”

Minwoo giggled at that and waved a dismissive hand.

“It’s probably not as bad as you think. Even native speakers struggle so I’m sure you’re good. Anyway, I get it, and in that case, no apologies necessary. I’m happy you made it here safely. Mi casa es tu casa.”

Dongwan couldn’t comprehend the Spanish phrase, but by the pleasant tone accompanying it, he felt comforted somehow. His first five minutes in the stranger’s company had already been a superior experience compared to many of his prior fumbles. Even if everything fell to pieces later, he could at least recall this greeting with gratitude.

Immediately upon entering, Dongwan felt that Minwoo’s home was more homey and comfortable than he assumed from the outside. Much to his surprise, there was an area for switching to indoor shoes, a very Korean tradition which Dongwan thought an American home wouldn’t have. In spite of location, he deduced that Minwoo was probably close to his family, and that they kept many aspects of their culture intact. Dongwan appreciated that. It almost felt like being home after a long arduous journey.

After switching into slippers, Dongwan followed Minwoo as he showed him the downstairs. A living room for leisure entertainment, pristine kitchen with pantry stocked full of snacks, a back patio with a poor for quiet hot days or nighttime parties, and laundry room for clothes.

“You have a basement?” Dongwan inquired when he spotted a door at the corner of the kitchen.

For the first time, Minwoo’s smile dropped. After a few contemplative moments, it returned and he shrugged.

“Yeah, but there’s nothing important or anything you might need. Just old junk,” he informed dismissively. “I’m not against you wandering about the house, but there’s not much to see down there. Don’t worry about it.”

Minwoo seemed insistent in spite of his friendly demeanor, so Dongwan simply nodded in understanding, deciding it wasn’t really his business to pry.

As the two made their way upstairs, Dongwan noted the large collection of pictures hanging along the wall of the staircase. They showed Minwoo aged from infant to adult, some with what he assumed was family and others with friends, even a few with him and a Doberman that Dongwan guessed was a family dog since no pets resided here.

A series of the photos showed Minwoo with a particular man much taller and prettier than him, who seemed to have been around from high school and on. He looked stoic and cold compared to Minwoo who was always giddy and clingy. A best friend perhaps, or maybe even a lover.

Dongwan fixated on that prospect for a moment, frowning a bit in spite of himself. It would be ironic that one of the most charming people he’s ever met was gay, but also taken. Damn that bogus fortune. Dongwan shook his head, burying the thought as he followed Minwoo down the hall. 

There were three bedrooms, one belonging to Minwoo while the others were guest rooms, one of which with brown interior that he said his parents or other family members used whenever they visited. Minwoo led Dongwan to the third just past the bathroom. It was a spacious room done in blue with white furniture. Dongwan marveled at the ocean mural along the wall behind the bed and Minwoo folded his arms, feeling proud as his guest gravitated towards it.

“This will be your room during your stay,” Minwoo announcing proudly. “Like it? I just had it redone.”

“It’s beautiful,” Dongwan replied, mesmerized as his fingers ran along the swirl of a wave.

“The wall was my sister’s suggestion,” he said fondly. “Before that got painted, everything was gray. She said it was boring and that guests wouldn’t like if their room felt like a bachelor pad. My nieces seem to like it more than my friends do though.”

“I bet,” Dongwan chuckled.

“There’s clean linen in a hallway closet pass the bathroom,” Minwoo started to explain, which was the most formal he’d been since Dongwan arrived. “You’re free to use the house however you want while I’m gone with only one rule; you break it you bought it.”

Dongwan nodded and listened as they moved back out of the room and made their way to the living room. A loaded duffle bag sat beside the couch. Minwoo swiped his keys off the coffee table before continuing his explanation.

“I’ll be back after work to grab my luggage before I leave for the two weeks I informed you about in the listing. I would talk more then, but I have a plane to catch. Do you have any questions?”

“None for now,” replied Dongwan.

“Good,” Minwoo smiled. “There is a spare key on the entertainment center. I’ll be collecting rent for the room when I return, including any damages incurred, as we discussed via email. You have my phone and email if you think of any questions later or if there is a problem.”

Minwoo picked up his duffle bag and hoisted it over his shoulder. They walked to the front door together and after he put on his sneakers, Minwoo offered Dongwan his hand once again.

“Well, Mr. Kim Dongwan,” he jeered in a tone that mimicked Dongwan’s when he first arrived. “I hope you enjoy your stay here in San Francisco.”

Dongwan chuckled understanding the humor and shook his hand.

“Thank you, Minwoo. I’m sure I will,” he replied, feeling a bit flustered saying his name so informally for the first time. “I promise to take good care of your home. I really appreciate it.”

Minwoo quickly bid him farewell before rushing out the door, leaving Dongwan to explore the house further on his own.

He did just that, starting first with the living room. When he collected the house key, Dongwan noticed a vast collection of albums lining the shelves of the entertainment center. There were CDs by artists from all over the world, but predominantly from America and South Korea. It was primarily ballad and soul singers, with some hip-hop in the mix, but he had everyone from Park Hyo Shin to Usher. Minwoo had impeccable taste in music. Dongwan made a mental note to give some of them a listen when he had the time and possibly strike up a conversation about it when Minwoo came home.

Dongwan spent most of the afternoon unpacking and making himself comfortable. The jet lag had gotten to him, and after the pleasant greeting he received from Minwoo, he was able to adapt to being in the stranger’s home easier than he expected. Sleep came quickly that night, the strain of his trip and the nerves of being in a new place all gone. He would explore the city another day, he had 2 weeks to do so.