Chapter 3

Paper Cranes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A loud noise resonated against the walls in Taeyeon’s room again. However, instead of a usual groggy grunt and a pathetic attempt to turn the alarm off with her eyes closed, Taeyeon, wide awake, turned the alarm off. She was sitting on the table across her desk, disappointment carved at every crease on her face. 

She got no reply, meaning the writer of the note didn’t get her message. She woke up early after a good sleep. She felt so good, excited to wake up, expecting a reply. However, she had already opened all the paper cranes she made and still, she found nothing. It didn’t help that the snow was raging that morning. It’s too heavy to the point that the moment she would step outside she thought her whole body would immediately freeze. 

It was such a bad day. 

She laid down on her bed, sighing her woes away. She took a paper crane in her hand and started playing with it. She took both of the wings and began doing flying motions with the wings of the crane. Sha laughed at how pathetic she was. She already knew that replying was a stupid idea, yet there she was, she even expected to get a response!  

Taeyeon looked at the time. It was quarter past eight - time to get her bum off the bed and start preparing for university.  

As usual, Taeyeon was not much of a girly-girl that would take forever to get ready, with makeup and all that. After a ten-minute shower, she quickly got dressed wearing what her hand reached for first in her wardrobe then bam, she’s ready to go. She was about to walk out of her bedroom when her phone vibrated from her pocket. It was an email from her lecturer.  

Lecture cancelled today. 

“Oh wow,” Taeyeon laughed in spite, looking at herself from the mirror. After forcing herself out of the bed to get ready, her lecture was cancelled. Fun. 

With shoulders slumped forward, Taeyeon dragged herself towards her bed. Anyone who could see Taeyeon at that moment would think that she’s a zombie with the way she was walking. She put her bag down and sat on the bed; the look on her face would make anyone depressed just by looking at her. Why is life so horrible to me today?  

Taeyeon looked at her paper cranes again. Desperate, she opened each one last time to see if there’s any reply.  

It’s annoying. 

She’s really interested in that kind of stuff and she wanted it so much to be real! 

Taeyeon was losing hope when she started unfolding the 21st paper crane. There’s still nothing inside. She folded it back and reached for another one. 

“!” She squeaked in surprise. There’s writing on it!  

Taeyeon’s hands were shaking with excitement. Her heart was pounding so loud she could hear it so clearly. With a smile the biggest her lips could ever do, she started reading the note. 

Holy moly, this thing actually works? My friend told me to try it but I didn’t know it’s real! Anyway, thank you so much for replying! I would definitely take your suggestion into consideration. My wife was just drinking last night. It was one of those times where she’s upset when drunk. She shouted at our little girl. It was the first time so our daughter wouldn’t stop crying, I didn’t get to sleep. She’s fast asleep now, but I can’t because I have to prepare for my wife’s work. She’s a licensed therapist. She treats people, but ironic enough I think she needs help as well. But anyway, nice meeting you. I don’t know how this paper crane thing works but I’m pleased to have someone I could talk about this with. I honestly think I was going to explode if I keep it in much longer. 

The smile on Taeyeon’s face gradually left her face. She felt bad for the woman. Comparing her problems to her own, they wouldn’t even look like problems. It was sad that someone had to go through so much when they don’t deserve it. What’s worse was that these bad things happen to the people who were so pure.  

She definitely didn’t like the wife of this woman. Whoever she was, she should take responsibility as a partner. Instead of helping her wife, she’s adding more burden to her. 

Silently swearing, Taeyeon folded the paper crane again. She took a different one and started writing her reply. 

Your wife definitely doesn’t leave a good impression on me. I have a lot to say but at the same time, I don’t know anything so I’ll keep it. I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter