Chapter 4

A Painter's Serenade

Chapter 4

.:.Wednesday.:.

Once again, it has taken me quite a whiiiile to update this story. I'm sorry about that, and now I sincerly hope not to take that long again.
It's summer and I've graduated highschool so it should be easier to sit and write up my chapters.
But to make it up for the long wait, I added a bit more so it's long ;]

Gui Gui "Talking"
Gui Gui 'Thoughts'
xXx -> change in scene

Read the bottom Author's Note, after this chapter! Or I won't be able to update the next chapter.

- - - - -

It seems to me that the seat in the back of Ms. Cherry's classroom has become my new favorite seat, though I particularly appreciate the fact that people have stopped giving me weird stares for sitting back here. The bell rings and once again, I am the first one outside the classroom.

As I begin racing towards the hallway, someone grabs my wrist and yanks me back. I stumble and turn around, ready to give the person a piece of my mind, when I see Ya Tou staring at me innocently.

“Ya Tou! What is is? Can this wait?” I whine childishly.

Ya Tou rolls her eyes at me and begins walking toward the buildings exit, pulling me along. It seems that Ya Tou has something important to tell me because she ignores my constant wails of 'let me go' and 'c'mon I'm in a rush!' She continues walking and dragging me along until we make it outside the building. She takes us to the bench where I saw Aaron eating lunch yesterday. I look around wondering if he was coming but didn't see him.

'Hm... I suppose he had lunch already if he's not here and I don't see him around,' my eyes widen slightly, 'that means he's already in the auditorium!' I think slightly panicked. I take a deep breath to tell Ya Tou she can tell me later but her serious expression shuts me up.

After staring me down she says, “Gui Gui! I want you to tell me what's been going on!”

I gave her a quizzical stare, “Is something supposed to be going on, Ya Tou? What are you talking about?”

She lets out a breath of frustration as I take a seat on the bench, when she starts pacing in front of me, completely getting my attention. Then she says, “I want you to tell me what's been up with you recently? Why have you been sitting in the back of the classroom? Why are you always in such a rush? Why are you more spaced out than usual, I mean that's really nothing new but it's been happening so much lately... really Gui Gui, are you alright? Do you need me for anything, because you know I'm always here for you and you can tell me anything-” I decided to stop Ya Tou's blabbering because if I let it go on then she could just keep going and going and going...

“Ya Tou! It's nothing bad, shesh! I'm not on drugs or anything if that's what you're thinking,” I say cautiously. I really don't want her to start another tirade.

She breathes a sigh of relief before sitting back down on the bench next to me and stares at me expectantly, “Well then, tell me what's been going on.”

I take a deep breath before telling her, “Well, do you remember last Friday, when I told you I wanted to paint Aaron Yan for our art project?”

Ya Tou nodded and I continued, “Well he agreed.”

Ya Tou's eyes widened and she started laughing, “Oh, Gui! You're such a kidder!”

I glare at her while she continues to laugh, 'How did I know she was going to react this way?' I think to myself.

I get frustrated that she just keeps laughing as if it was the funniest thing she had ever heard, so I stand from my seat and practically yell at her, “I'm being serious, Ya Tou!”

Ya Tou stops laughing and takes a few breaths to stop her giggles, “Gui! I'm just kidding! No need to yell,” she says as she pulls on my elbow and I sit back on the bench.

She nods and continues, “Okay, so you got him to agree! Congratulations, I never doubted you for a second!”

I stare at her shocked and question, “Really Ya Tou, really?”

All she does is smile at me in that innocent manner of hers, while I just continue staring flabbergasted and say, “Ya Tou, you are one crazy chick.”

She smiles at me again and says, “Seriously though, I'm glad you got him to agree. It gives you more time together.”

I nod and as she finishes her sentence, I stare at her in confusion, “What do you mean... more time together?”

She gives me a look that screams 'idiot!' and replies, “Well, duh! More time with him is good because you have a crush on him.”

I felt my jaw drop and my eyes widen as I tried to form sentences but failed, when I finally got over my shock and was going to calmly deny her statement, Ya Tou grabbed my wrist and looked at my watch. She quickly stood up and said, “I've got a date with Ah Wei right now but we'll talk later.”

She began walking away but suddenly stopped to shoot me a knowing glance, “I know you like him Gui Gui, it's written all over your face,” she then continued walking away with me watching her back, trying with all my might trying to stop the blush from appearing on my face.

After I could no longer see her, I grabbed my bag and got up from the bench and began walking towards the doors, I glanced in the direction Ya Tou had left in before shaking my head lightly. As I pushed the doors open and began walking to the auditorium, Ya Tou's words kept repeating themselves over and over in my head, along with my own question.

'Do I really like him?'

xXx

As I made it to the auditorium, I was wondering why I wasn't hearing Aaron play, so I decided to once again quietly enter through the back door. I opened the door as lightly as I could, being an expert at this by now, and quietly closed it behind me. I took a step forward and placed my bag near the door and listened. Aaron may not be playing but I hear something else. Voices.

“...do you hear me Yan Ya Lun?” I heard someone say in an overly bossy tone. I wasn't able to overhear the entire sentence so I tiptoed my way to the middle of the stage and pulled at the section where the curtain divides just a crack, so that I'd be able to see and hear everything.

My eyes instantly focused on Aaron, who was sitting on the piano bench, his right arm propped up on the piano top with his face resting in his palm. From his expression I could tell that he was hopelessly bored and wasn't paying attention one bit.

“You had better be prepared for Saturday's competition Ya Lun, I don't want another forfeit in this competition.” My attention snapped to the person who had spoken, it was Ms. Angel, the school's principal. My face screwed up in an expression of annoyance, you'd think I'd be able to distinguish her voice from a crowd after all the detentions this lady has given me. I smirked lightly, not that I didn't deserve them. I lost my train of thought when I noticed Aaron's expression turn sour and watched him glare at Ms. Angel.

“If I remember correctly it wasn't my fault that I had to forfeit. It was you-,” Miss Angel cut him off with a glare of her own, and even from my position behind the curtain, with the both of them oblivious to my presence, I felt my skin crawl and shuddered. I felt extremely proud though, that Aaron didn't seem affected by it one bit.

“We will not speak of that incident again.” Ms. Angel said with frustration clearly evident.

“Then you shouldn't have brought it up.” Aaron said plainly.

I had to quickly cover my mouth to cover my snicker. 'That Aaron, so quick witted.' I thought immensely pleased. I saw Ms. Angel straighten her blouse before staring back at Aaron.

She pinned him with a stare and said cryptically, “Regardless, I want you to remember that audiences tend to be distracting.”

I wasn't the only one who was confused by her statement as I noticed Aaron look at her with a confused stare before realization dawned on his face and by the way he suddenly scowled I figured it wasn't any good either. I stood hiding behind the curtain waiting for one of them to explain because I was so lost in this conversation, probably due to the fact that I shouldn't be hearing this in the first place but things go on.

Aaron slowly, purposefully sits up straight and lets his hands smack against his legs. He then says, “As you can see there is no audience here,” he made a sweeping gesture signaling the empty auditorium, before he continued, “Also, I prefer when Wu Ying Jie is here. I tend to practice more in her presence.” He finished off with a slight arrogant note in his voice and a smirk.

I felt my eyes widen at the sudden declaration, because honestly that was not what I was expecting. I suddenly felt my face go hot and I just knew that I was blushing, but it wasn't my fault... it was his! I noticed Ms. Angel glare at Aaron more fiercely than before, before she said once more, “You had better be prepared for Saturday,” before she stalked out of the auditorium's main entrance. I noticed Aaron watched her walk out before he glared at the piano.

Rather than step out from behind the curtain and let it be known that I had overheard the entire exchange, I decided to walk back to the back door and opening it quietly to then slam it closed noisily. I grabbed my back from the floor and then fast walked towards center stage, pushed the curtains aside and innocently smiled at Aaron.

“Sorry I'm late.” I said sheepishly. I had a feeling Aaron wouldn't be happy if he knew I was there so, I acted as if I just got there.

I grabbed my sketch book and special charcoal pencil before tossing my bag on the floor. I walked towards the piano and watched Aaron's nimble fingers as they danced across the keys. I opened my sketch book to a random page and began to lightly sketch a few details, I kept glancing at Aaron while doing this and I got a small feeling that he was beginning to grow uncomfortable with my stares but he kept on playing. He kept messing up and playing keys that didn't belong, or so I thought, as he played. I ignored them though, just as he ignored me which made his earlier declaration seem meaningless, though I suppose I wasn't intended to hear what he said earlier. But whatever, what's heard is heard.

I began staring intently at his face and lightly sketched something in my book, before staring again. This cycle seemed to go on for a while when Aaron abruptly stopped playing and turned to me questioningly, “Are you just going to keep staring at me?”

I giggle lightly at his obvious discomfort and rather embarrassed expression, it seems to me that nobody has stared at him for so long before and explain for his benefit, “It's all part of the process, Aaron. Observation is key and it will only help in making the outcome that much better.”

Aaron scoffs at me and says disbelievingly, “Can you even really paint?”

I prop one hand on my hip and say in an overly confident voice, “Don't worry, when I finish this painting it's going to knock you're socks off!”

He seems shocked by my sudden outburst, but I wonder what has him more weird-ed out, my confidence or the manner in which I conveyed myself. 'The world will never know,' I thought to myself as he began playing again. Still messing up, though this time more than before.

I glanced around the empty auditorium, committing it all to memory when Aaron suddenly banged on the keys startling me, he hung his head low with his bangs covering his eyes.

'Ms. Angel must have gotten to him more than he let on,' I thought to myself.

I lightly shake my head before closing my sketch book and placing it and my pencil on the piano top and sitting myself beside Aaron on the piano bench. He didn't move as I sat down so I took that as a good sign. I glanced at him through the corner of my eye before playing a few keys on the piano, and I was very happy with the fact that they actually sounded good. I noticed Aaron angle his head slightly upward so he could watch what I did next but I turned to him and said coaxingly, “Why don't you try again?”

He gave me no reply, so I lightly pushed on his chest so that he'd straighten up instead of sitting slumped as he was doing, with my hand still on his chest keeping him propped up he gave me a blank stare.

'I think I preferred it when he glared at me!' I thought to myself before I grinned at him and took my hand off his chest, happy when he stayed straight. I suddenly came up with an idea and smirked lightly as I asked Aaron, “You want to hear the only thing I've ever learned on the piano?”

He doesn't say anything but it's easy to read the interest that's so clearly displayed in his eyes, I took that as encouragement and cleared my throat a few times and cracked my knuckles for emphasis before I proceeded to bang on the keys. I was sure to keep my face as straight as possible to keep my air of professionalism even when all the banging was echoing around us when Aaron grabbed my hands in his. When he winced slightly I slipped my hands through his and banged on the keys again, forcing him to grab my hands again and this time keep his hold on them.

“I highly doubt anyone taught you that,” he said.

I gave him a bright smile and giggled as I said, “Of course not, I know absolutely nothing about the piano!”

He raised his eyebrow in confusion and I decided to elaborate further, because he was not getting my point, “Just because I know nothing about the piano doesn't mean that I can't just have fun banging on the keys.”

Aaron shook his head lightly and let my hands go as he began playing a slow, quiet tune, something like a lullaby. He played a few notes and then pointedly looked at me, I stared back before I got it and played the exact notes he had played before. He showed me how to play until I got tired halfway. I rolled my shoulders and stretched my fingers, “What was that anyway?”

He seemed amused at my sore fingers and replied, “What you were playing is called Moonlight Serenity.”

I just nod my head, pretending as if I knew what that was as he started playing the piece he was frustrated over earlier. When he stopped playing, with me taking it as he was able to finish the song, I smiled at him and said, “See! All you had to do was loosen up, you won't get anything accomplished if you're a cranky puss about it!”

He chuckled lightly before giving me a small smile. I couldn't help it, I squealed as soon as I saw it. He started slightly and turned to face me in confusion but his bangs crossed into his eyes, blocking my view of their chocolatey goodness, so I brush them away. Unconsciously of course. I saw the shock in his eyes at my action but he didn't pull away. As I stare into his eyes frozen and he stares into mine, we stare at each other until Aaron looks down at the piano. My eyes widen with embarrassment and I quickly stand from the piano bench bumping my knee in the process, but ignoring it.

“I'm going to go get us...something to drink! Yea, drink! Be right back!” I managed to stutter out before racing outside the auditorium without any word of acceptance from him. I stepped out into the hallway and let out a breath of relief.

'Being with Aaron is dangerous, I do things I don't intend to,' I think to myself begrudgingly as I walked down the hallway towards the vending machine. I decided to get us two cokes and as I was walking back to the auditorium I suddenly froze.

'Doing things unconsciously, blushing, getting lost in his eyes.... that doesn't mean I like him right?' I shook my head and with a clear 'NO' in my mind I walked into the auditorium with the drinks and began walking towards the stage saying, “I hope you don't mind, I didn't know what to get you so I brought us two -” I stopped when I realized I was talking to myself. I made it up the steps and saw the piano empty. The loser had left me.

I pouted while thinking, 'how rude.' I rolled my eyes and placed the cans on the piano top as I grabbed my sketch book and pencil and stuffing them in my bag as I grabbed the cans again and after gulping one down in record time, I walked down the steps again and made my way down the aisles. I dropped the empty can into the waste bin and opened the other one.

'Since he ditched me, I have no aversion to drinking his... no MY soda.' I thought and chuckled soundlessly as I gulped it down too and made it outside the auditorium. I saw a garbage can in the corner of my eye and as I kept walking in the other direction I threw the can behind me over my shoulder and after hearing a satisfying 'clunk', I kept walking.

'I should join the basketball team, with my superior skills I'd be MVP in noooo time.' As I began contemplating my future in the WMBA I heard someone call out my name in an annoyed manner, “Gui Gui!”

I turn around to see Ao Quan rubbing his head and my soda can on the floor next to him., I felt my jaw drop slightly as I chuckle nervously.

“Maybe the WMBA will have to wait a while...” I lightly mutter under my breath. I smile sheepishly as Ao Quan glares at me before saying, “You know you could at least make sure you made it in the garage can.”

I wave my hand nonchalantly and say, “It shouldn't matter much because you're head is full of air anyway.”

He rolled his eyes at me and while rubbing his head said, “You're so immature.” My reply to this was to simply stick my tongue out at him.

Ao Quan shook his head slowly before a slow grin bloomed on his face, “Hey Gui, what's this I hear about you hanging out with a guy?”

“Since when do you interfere with my matters, Ao Quan?” I said simply.

He walked towards me and put his arm around my shoulders and giving me a cheeky grin, “Since I started considering myself as you're older brother.”

I rolled my eyes again and slipped his arm off my shoulder and say coldly, “Funny how you say that, seeing as you haven't been around for a while.”

'This loser hasn't talked to me for a week and now he's being all buddy buddy?' I thought to myself slightly upset.

His expression turned sincere, “I'm really sorry about that Gui Gui! It's just I've had Da Ya and Tong Tong bugging me all week, go here go there. They're driving me crazy already! I feel like a damn lap dog!”

I started laughing, it was no secret that Ao Quan would do anything for Da Ya and Tong Tong, they were one of his best friends after all. As I kept laughing Ao Quan soon joined me and we laughed for a while when he stopped suddenly and said with a smile, “We'll I'm glad that you and Wang Zi are finally getting together.”

My laughter quickly cut off as I started at him in confusion, “Wang Zi?”

He nodded.

“It's not Wang Zi!”

It was his turn to look confused, “Who is it then?”

“I've been hanging out with Aaron Yan, but that doesn't mean I like him or anything.” I said in an offhand manner.

Ao Quan's eyes widen and he says sarcastically, “You don't like him, yea... that explains why you look like a volcano about to erupt.”

My hands flew to my face, which true to his statement felt hot but I forced my hands back down to my side and tried to act cool about it.

“That's beside the point Gui Gui! Aaron's mean and mute!”

I stared at him in confusion, “What?”

“Look Gui Gui, he's not really the most popular guy, I mean haven't you heard what people say about hi-”

I quickly cut him off not wanting to hear him bad mouth Aaron, “Just stop. Aaron Yan is my friend and I like him! It doesn't matter what you or anyone else says, I trust him!” I quickly begin to walk away not wanting to continue this conversation.

“You'll regret it! You only hear bad things about him, Gui Gui!” Ao Quan yells out.

“I'll take my chances!” I yell back without glancing back and continued forward. I heard Ao Quan mumble something else before he too started walking away.

xXx

I stepped out from my hiding spot behind the wall and stared after Gui Gui. I watched as she walked towards the exit with her hair swaying with each step she took. She opened the door and stepped outside. I felt myself smile and chuckle, “This girl... it seems life has become interesting.” I said under my breath before I went back to the auditorium to practice the piano piece for my own project, also due Friday.

- - - - -

Can you guys guess who's Point of View that last paragraph was ;]
lolol

Well, thats the end of Wednesday!
Hope you guys liked it!

Now for the helping the author part, the next chapter Thursday, is when 6 of the students in Gui Gui's class are to present their projects, now I'm wondering if you guys wanted me to right that scene or skip through it.

I need a total of at least 9 votes or Yes or No, before I can start my planning.

Just leave a yes or no section in your review, that'd be awesome ;]

Thanks for patiently waiting and til next time ;]

Xie xie ni for reading! <3

Au Revior, <3
nitaBonita