Chapter 3

A Painter's Serenade

Chapter 3

.:.Tuesday.:.

So, yea... I'm well aware of the fact that this chapter took twice as long as it should have but since this was the only chapter I didn't have pre-planned, I'm hoping this will be the last time it takes me this long to update. xD
&& I hope you guys haven't lost interest in the story <3

"Talking"
'Gui Gui's Thoughts'
............. = change in scene

- - - - -

I sigh in utter happiness at the delicious peanut butter sandwich that is now in my mouth, I chew with a big smile on my face while softly moving my head from left to right, with Ya Tou watching me amusedly while biting into her sandwich as well.

“It’s amazing that Ms. Cherry didn’t come today, don’t you think?” Ya Tou asks me after swallowing and taking a sip out her fruit punch.

I nod enthusiastically, “I know right! Ms. Cherry is hardly ever absent… I wonder why?”

Ya Tou rolls her eyes at me and scoffs, “Like we want to know why teachers are absent, just be happy that she is. Plus that means we get to eat early!”

“True,” I say agreeing wholeheartedly.

It’s quiet for a while as we both enjoy our lunch in peace before Ya Tou makes an ‘Oh!’ noise, which instantly catches my attention and I give her a quizzical stare.

“What happened yesterday? Why did you suddenly rush off, you said you were going to tell me later, well it’s later so tell!”

I giggle, “Well the thing is -” that’s all I got to say before I was interrupted.

“Hey Gui! Ya Tou! I’m surprised you girls are here, don’t you have class with Ms. Cherry?” Xiao Jie (g) asks us before sitting down in the chair next to Ya Tou. She sets her backpack on the table and places her clipboard, which has a lot of papers clumped together, in front of her and glances and me and Ya Tou.

“Ms. Cherry’s absent,” both Ya Tou and I say in unison.

Xiao Jie raises an eyebrow in surprise but questions it no further, it’s apparent everyone in this school knows that it’s a very rare occasion when Ms. Cherry is absent… not that I’m complaining.

Xiao Jie shakes her head slightly and grabs at the pen she has perched over her ear and poises it above the clipboard on the table and says, “Well girls, I’m wondering if you can help me by answering a question for a project.”

Ya Tou and I glance at each other before Ya Tou answers, “Sure,” while I just nod my head.

She smiles at us and says, “Well I’m doing a survey for a class and I was just wondering… what’s the first thing you notice about a guy?”

“Huh?” I voice and I know Ya Tou doesn’t get it either because she leans forward a little and stares at Xiao Jie waiting for the answer too.

Xiao Jie giggles and replies, “What I mean is, when you look at a guy what’s the first thing you look at… or you find attractive about him?”

Ya Tou is the first to answer, “Well… this might be weird, but the first thing I notice about a guy is his hair. But the rest honestly depends on his personality, I mean I don’t want to date a guy just because he’s really cute but he’s someone I can’t stand… a lot of sense that would make.”

I barely notice Xiao Jie nod and write it on her papers while I thought about my answer.

I rest my face on my palm as I drift off, eyes.

You can usually tell a lot about people from their eyes, whether or not they’re the kind of people whose emotions can be easily read through they’re eyes… and I’m a er for y eyes.

A pair of chocolate brown eyes suddenly flashed in my brain and I remembered when I first saw Aaron’s eyes, oh gosh. His eyes, the most gorgeous looking chocolate brown eyes I’ve seen on a guy, I could’ve stared into them forever. Which if I remember correctly, I did end up staring yesterday… oh how embarrassing.

‘Still,’ I thought to myself, ‘It’s really easy to lose yourself in his stare.’

The second thing I notice about a guy would have to be… his smile.

I felt my head begin to sway from side to side as a haunting tune suddenly starting flowing in my head, a tune that sounded familiar. I suddenly remember it and lightly place a hand over my slightly racing heart as I realize that it was the first piece I heard Aaron play.

‘Come to think of it, Aaron’s smile is really dreamy. Even when I first saw him and all he had was a barely recognizable smile on his face as he played the piano, I still hadn’t been able to take my eyes away. Such a beautiful small smile…I wonder what a full smile would look like coming from his lips.’

I smirk when I realize the feat I was going to try to attempt, ‘I’m going to make Aaron smile and not a small one, a real smile!’

I grin to myself as I think about how I was going to accomplish that, when I heard Xiao Jie practically scream my name, “Gui Gui!”

I jump slightly, surprised by her yell, wondering in the recesses of my mind just how long I was daydreaming about Aaron..

I mean guys.

“Well?” she questions.

“Well what?” I ask.

She stares at me incredulously and says slowly, “Your answer?”

My eyes widen a little and my memory rushes back to me, “Oh right, sorry! Well, the first thing I notice about a guy would have to be his smile and then his eyes.”

Xiao Jie smiles at me and begins to write it down on her papers, when I feel a slight blush coming up, reddening even more when I see that Ya Tou has noticed it.

I quickly look away from her and her knowing smirk and stare at Xiao Jie when she stands and grabs her things, “Well, thanks for helping me guys! Now I’ve got to go and input my research, I’ll see you both later!” She waves and we wave back as Ya Tou and I watch her rush out of the cafeteria. Ya Tou turns her head towards me when it’s just us again, with smirk still in place, she asks “Who’s the guy?”

I stiffen slightly and try to ignore my terribly blushing face, which is so hot I feel it and say, “What guy? I’m not thinking of a guy,” while waving my hand dismissively in front of me.

She raises her eyebrow at me and counters, “Then why are you blushing?”

‘Oh, how I long to wipe that smirk off her face,’ I think bitterly to myself.

I fan my face with my left hand and loosely pull on my shirt with my right while saying, “It’s just hot in here is all.”

I am extremely doubtful she’ll believe that lie, considering I don’t even buy it myself due to the air conditioner placed so conveniently to our left blowing harsh, cold air our way. It seems, and I thank God for it, that Ya Tou is feeling generous today and does not further push for details… but I know full well that she will later on.

“I’ll believe that… for now.”

‘Further proving my point,’ I think.

“So you didn’t tell me why you were in such a rush yesterday?”

“Oh, right! Well remember how-,” it seems that I’m not wanted to tell her because I am once again interrupted but this time by A-Wei, Ya Tou’s boyfriend, and I know that for now our conversation will be forgotten as I see Ya Tou instantly sit up straight and begin to talk to A-Wei happily. A-Wei nodding at me with a smile before turning his adoring eyes back on Ya Tou, ‘Oh, they’re just so cute together.’

I’m pulled out of my thoughts when Ah Ben pulls up the seat next to me as he says, “Wow, can you believe the break we caught! No class today, woot!”

I laugh, “ I know right, so hey! Have you picked your subject for your painting yet?”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I walked out of the cafeteria after having successfully killed the extra time I had, before meeting up with Aaron, thanks to my friends.

I check my watch, two minutes left.

I begin to walk to the auditorium, as I walk down the
hallway I begin to turn right when a figure sitting on a bench outside the building to my left distracts me.

‘Wonder who that is…,’ I think to myself as I begin to walk towards the door, as I get closer I notice that it’s Aaron and he’s about to eat his own lunch.

I tilt my head to the left slightly, ‘That’s why he was late last time!’

I smile and as I open the door quietly with the intention of sitting next to him, eating lunch alone is never fun, when someone beats me to it. Calvin, a popular guy who I had no idea was friends with Aaron, sits next to him and greets him. My curiosity gets the better of me and I find myself leaving the door open slightly and kneeling down on the floor and listening to them talk.

“How’s it going, Aaron?” Calvin asked.

“Good,” I heard Aaron answer before taking a bite out of his sandwich.

It seemed to me that they were both a tad bit awkward with each other, like if they hadn’t talked in a while, which I could imagine to be true. Though I didn’t think they were that awkward with each other due to the fact that Aaron made no objection to Calvin sitting next to him.

‘I can’t so much as look at him before he starts glaring at me,’ I think bitterly.

“So,” Calvin starts, interrupting my mental tirade before continuing, “Whose this girl I hear that you’ve been hanging out with?”

I lean as close as I can do the door as I see Aaron take a bite of his sandwich before he says with annoyance, “What’s it to you?”

Calvin chuckles at him, “Well, I’ve heard that the girl your hanging with, Gui Gui I think it was, is a rather interesting character and a bit of an airhead, so I was told.”

I glare at Calvin’s back, “How dare he say that to Aaron! I am not an airhead, who would even say that!” I mumble under my breath.

I see Aaron’s shoulders shake a bit before he takes another bite of his sandwich and says, “That may be true but it’s still none of your business, Calvin.”

I felt my jaw drop as I thought sarcastically, ‘He agreed? Well, thanks a lot Aaron!’

Calvin laughed this time and replied, “Well, considering I haven’t seen or heard about you and a girl since Hebe, I was curious. Especially when I heard it was a girl like Gui Gui.”

‘That’s it… I’m going to have to hunt down whoever is talking bad about me, a girl like me? C’mon I am not that bad! My mother says I’m brilliant! Which I do realize isn’t a good cover-’ my thoughts abruptly cut off as I saw Aaron’s reaction to Calvin’s words.

He faltered for a second, and I swear I saw his eyes widen a bit, before regaining his composure and glaring at Calvin, “Just forget about it.”

He stands up and stuffs the rest of his sandwich in his mouth, meaning end of conversation.

Well, at least in Aaron language. He grabs his bag and nods at Calvin, “Later. I’ve got practice.”

Calvin watches him go with a grin, “Don’t have too much fun!”

I notice Aaron walking in my direction and I panic, I let the door shut behind me, grabbed my bag from the floor, crawled a few steps away from the door before rushing to the auditorium all the while thinking,

‘Aaron knows Hebe?’

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I opened the auditoriums back door hastily and rushed on stage and was able to throw my bag on the ground before sitting myself next to it just in time for Aaron to come in through the main entrance. I sigh quietly in relief and happily smile at him as he makes his way up the steps.

“Hello Aaron!” I greet.

He lightly places his bag on the floor next to the piano bench before sitting down and turning his body towards the piano. He looks at me, with boredom in his eyes, and nods at me before retrieving his music sheets and placing them on the music stand and beginning to play.

‘Shesh, utterly ignored.’

I sigh loudly and lean back on my hands and cross my ankles in front of me, “So, I caught a break earlier, Ms. Cherry didn’t come so I had lunch early lucky me, huh?” not that I don’t love his playing but I want to hear his voice too.

“Really,” was all he said while he continued playing.

I hung my head low, I don’t know what I was expecting but I know that it wasn’t that.

‘Well, if he’s not going to say anything else…I guess I’ll just ask him something that requires more than a one word answer,’ I think with small smile, ‘Plus! I want to know the answer!’

“So, not that I’m complaining, but why did you decide to let me paint you?” I ask Aaron from my position on the floor.

He just keeps playing keys until I figure that he’s going to ignore me and I just keep listening to his playing when he suddenly stops and asks, “Why?”

I stare at him, “Why what?”

He rolls his eyes at me, “Why do you want to know?”

“Curiosity, you could say.” I simply reply.

He shuffles through some papers on his stand before taking a glance at me and saying, “Curiosity killed the cat,” before continuing to shuffle through the papers.

My eyes tilt upward and I respond in a thoughtful voice, “I suppose that’s one of the reasons why I like to consider myself a ghost,” while finishing my statement my eyes looked up at his face, which was filled with amusement.

I heard him chuckle under his breath, possibly at the absurdity of my comment, before answering my earlier question, “I took pity on you.”

“Pity?” I repeat doubtfully.

He turns back to the piano, but before he keeps playing he stares into my eyes and says, “That aside, I like to consider this as my community service,” he says with a small smile and goes back to playing my favorite haunting tune.

‘A smile!’ my mind screamed.

I grin, choosing to ignore the community service insult, as I continue listening to his playing and observing his peaceful expression.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I stood up from the floor and stretched my arms towards the ceiling, the floor can be pretty uncomfortable. I take a glance at Aaron and see him gathering his music sheets, with care as he tends to do now around me, and puts them in his bag. He slings it over his shoulder and begins to walk down the steps and walks towards the auditorium doors.

“Hey! Wait!” I call out to him as I rush to grab my bag and follow him out the door, man he moves fast.

He exit’s the building and proceeds to walk forward, “Aaron!”

I run forward and stand in front of him, blocking his way, and smile up at him, “How’s about taking a walk with me?” I ask.

He tilts his head to the right slightly and replies, “Now why would I do that?”

“Cause it would be fun?” I say happily.

“Hn,” he grunts in response.

I take that as a yes, as I reach forward and grab Aaron’s arm and drag him along; he was more than reluctant so it took most of my strength to bring him along with me. We continued down the walkway and I let him go, when I was sure he wouldn’t leave.

I walked toward a large oak tree and took out my camera from my bag and took a picture as the branches and leaves of the tree danced thanks to the blowing wind.

I heard Aaron walk and stand next to me as I took another picture and turned to him when he spoke, “I thought you were a painter, not a photographer?”

I raise my eyebrow at the question and answer, “Painting may be my passion, true, but I also enjoy photography. Just because my main thing is painting doesn’t mean that’s the only thing I enjoy doing Aaron.”

“I know that,” he says as he looks away from me and crosses his arms over his chest.

I smiled and grabbed my camera and took of picture of his childish stance, he heard the click of the camera and turned back towards me, glaring at me.

Click

Another Picture. “Perfect,” I say after taking it.
His expression tells me that he is extremely doubtful of my statement and I decide to elaborate, “Glaring is your forte, Aaron.”

He uncrosses his arms and stuffs them in his pockets as he keeps glaring at me, more intensely this time, snap! Another picture.

“I’ve just captured your true essence, a grouch in every sense of the word,” I cheekily tell him.

He rolls his eyes at me but is startled when I throw my camera at him, which luckily he catches, “Take a picture of me!” I tell him.

I lean on the tree trunk and smile, waiting for Aaron to take the picture. He seems a little fidgety with the camera but after telling him to hurry up he takes the picture.

I climb up to the first branch of the tree, which is a pretty decent way from the ground and he takes another picture. I jump back down from the tree and spin around in circles and show my cutest smile. He takes the picture and I walk towards him and when he hands me the camera, I smile.

I take the camera from his outstretched hand and lean next to him and position the camera above us and snap a picture. When I turn to look at Aaron I notice that he looks shocked, as if the he hadn’t thought I’d have wanted to take a picture with him.

I giggle slightly before wrapping an arm around his shoulder bringing him down to my height as I smile to take another picture, when he tries to lean away from me, I give my puppy dog look and say, “C’mon! Just one more?”

He stops fidgeting and lets me take the picture, before quickly stepping back. I hang the camera around my neck before I rushed to the fountain and stared into it.

I looked back at Aaron to find him standing in the same spot I left him and he was staring at me strangely, “What? Do I have something on my face?”

He just keeps staring at me and as we stare at each other I suddenly remember his earlier conversation with Calvin and my mouth begins to talk without the consent of my brain, “So, you used to date Hebe?”

I noticed Aaron’s expression go from mildly calm to completely fathomless in less than a few seconds when I realize that I probably shouldn’t have asked him that when I had no proof, “That’s none of your business.”

‘Jumping to conclusions is bad, Gui Gui!’ I mentally scold myself.

He glared at me again, and I had so hoped we were passed that, before turning around and walking off.

My eyes widen and I walk after him pleading, “Aaron! Wait, I’m sorry! I shouldn’t have asked you that… I was just really curious is all!”

He stops but he doesn’t look back at me when he says, “I’m well aware of your curiosity, but I’ve no inclination to tell you about things that don’t concern you. I‘m leaving,” before he continues to walk away again.

“Don’t be mad!” I exclaim after him.

I took a few steps after him before coming to a complete stop, I guess today’s chat is over. I sigh regrettably as I watch him walk away when he suddenly stops.

He looks at me from over his shoulder , with an unreadable look in his eye, and says much to my pleasure, “See you tomorrow,” before he turns away and walks towards the parking lot.

I watch his back a while longer before shaking my head and chuckling under my breath, “I’ll never have any luck in trying to understand him at ALL,” I whisper to myself.

I place my camera back in my bag, taking a glance back at the rustling tree and the water fountain, before following in Aaron’s footsteps and walking towards the parking lot as well. Ready to head home for the day.

- - - - -

Well, that's the end for .:.Tuesday.:.

lol, hope you guys enjoyed it && again sorry for the late update but I'm sure you guys would enjoy a well thought out late chapter than a rushed fast one ;]

So yea, lol Comment cause it makes me feel all fuzzy inside [lmao] and I promise that .:.Wednesday.:. will not take as long lol xD

If anything, check out the chapter later on to see the preview for .:.Wednesday.:. that I'll be posting later!
Look forward to it~

Xie xie ni for reading =D

Adios, <3
nitaBonita