Chapter 3

Midnight Serenades

Dressed in a cream color hoodie and black skinny jeans, Baekhyun began walking to the coffee shop for open mic night.

 

It was only a 20 minute walk, and Baekhyun decided he really needed the extra exercise. Considering he’s spent most of his week in bed watching illegally downloaded movies on his laptop.

 

The harsh winter cold penetrated through his thin hoodie and his teeth begun to chatter unconsciously. He clasped his hands together to try to get rid of the icy coldness sitting the tips of his thin fingers.

 

He sighed in relief when he finally opened the door to the coffee shop, inhaling the bitter smell of coffee and embracing the wind of warmth that greeted him.

 

Baekhyun patted his pockets, sighing when he realised he had left his phone at home.

 

“” Baekhyun groaned. 

 

“Fancy seeing you here” a deep, cheerful voice greeted from behind Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun jumped in shock, turning to see who had just greeted him. 

 

“O-oh hi Chanyeol” Baekhyun stuttered, heartbeat picking up and it wasn’t the surprise from earlier causing this.

 

“You here to perform?” Chanyeol smiled at him.

 

“Oh no” Baekhyun replied, shuffling awkwardly, “I don’t have a talent for these types of things” 

 

“Ah-“ Chanyeol’s smile shifted to something more solemn, “I bet you’re just hiding your talent from everyone”

 

Baekhyun felt his face heating up, he hoped Chanyeol thought it was from the cold.

 

It was then that Baekhyun noticed the guitar case set upright that was leaning against Chanyeol’s tall frame.

 

Chanyeol followed his gaze down to his guitar, “Well I guess you’ll get to here me sing” 

 

“Didn’t know you were into this stuff” Baekhyun confessed, he really didn’t know much about Chanyeol other than the fact that he was incredibly attractive and incredibly popular.

 

“Yeah! I’m a music major” Chanyeol exclaimed, clearly passionate, “classical music actually, I usually play piano but you know, gotta get out of my comfort zone sometimes” 

 

Chanyeol let out a hearty chuckle, still smiling brightly down at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun felt his gut twist into something ugly. All the nerves he had prior dissipating. 

 

Jealousy.

 

“Oh well good luck” Baekhyun gave him a tight lipped smile and skirted around the man to order a hot drink.

 

Suddenly he didn’t want to stay anymore.

 

-

 

Baekhyun had walked home after getting his black coffee, giving Chanyeol a half-hearted excuse that he had forgotten his phone at home. 

 

Chanyeol just smiled at him, telling Baekhyun to come see him next time.

 

He was always smiling, Baekhyun thought.  Baekhyun scoffed, lightly kicking a stone that had been on his path, no one can be that happy all the time.

 

When he finally reached his apartment he stripped himself of his clothes and got into the shower. 

 

Baekhyun turned the knob all the way to an unbearable heat. Once he saw the mirrors begin to fog up and steam seeping our from behind the shower curtain he got into the shower.

 

He hissed in pain when the scorching hot water touched is skin. He forced his body to get used to the pain.

 

He stood frozen underneath the shower head for a moment, quietly admiring how the water had begun to turn his milky white skin an angry red. 

 

He smiled grimly before he sank down and cried. His legs pulled tightly against his body, and his head resting on his knees. 

 

He didn’t know why he was crying but the tears wouldn’t stop coming. 

 

Baekhyun couldn’t tell if it was the shower water running hotly down his face or if it were his own tears.

 

-

 

 

Baekhyun cursed at himself when he stepped out of the shower. He had forgotten to bring a towel with him.

 

He ran his hands from his hair down his face in frustration. 

 

He carefully opened the bathroom door, a puff of smoke following him.

 

Just then Jongdae had been passing by, jumping a little.

 

“You’re home” Baekhyun’s voice wavered a bit. He was in front of his roommate.

 

“Uh yeah, I came home a few minutes ago while you were showering” Jongdae’s gaze was set on Baekhyun’s body, he had taken notice of the redness.

 

“I forgot my towel” his voice was meek and  embarrassed.

 

“You’re as red a tomato Baek” Jongdae noted.

 

“Shower was too hot” Baekhyun forced out a laugh, “didn’t notice it was hurting”

 

Jongdae grabbed him a spare towel before speaking.

 

“Baby...” Jongdae only ever called him Baby when Baekhyun was hurting. Even after numerous protests from Baekhyun, Jongdae continued. Though Baekhyun could never hide the warmth that bloomed in his chest from the nickname.

 

“Baby,” Jongdae repeated, “what’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing” 

 

“I’ve known you for years now, I know you’ve been crying” Jongdae said sternly.

 

“Okay yeah I was crying” Baekhyun’s voice began growing irritated, “when don’t I️ cry?”

 

Jongdae face grew hard, “You need to tell me what’s wrong”

 

“I don’t need to tell you anything Jongdae” Baekhyun snapped back, “you’re not my mom.”

 

“I’m just trying to help you” Jongdae voice softened, “I don’t wanna see you get hurt”

 

“I don’t need help” Baekhyun yelled, “stop trying to help me when there’s nothing wrong with me!”

 

“Stop lying to me!” Jongdae yelled back, his face now showing hurt, “Stop lying to yourself” He said this with a softer, sadder voice. 

 

“I’m not” Baekhyun spit out, “just stop.” He brushed past Jongdae and slammed the door to his room shut, purposely ignoring Jongdae’s pleas to “please come out” 

 

“Go away Jongdae” Baekhyun called out, “I’m really not in the mood right now”

 

“Stop running from your feelings Baekhyun” Jongdae replied, “it’s not good for you”

 

“I don’t care what’s good for me Jongdae,” Baekhyun screamed, he was so tired of this, “stop thinking you can fix me! I’m not some charity case okay?”

 

He was met with silence.

 

Of course he messed that up.

 

He messed everything up.

 

He didn’t even bother putting on clothes before plopping himself onto his bed.

 

He was so tired.