Chapter 1

Midnight Serenades

 

Baekhyun was tired, to put it simply. He was physically and emotionally drained.

 

Attempting to balance a 6 hour shift at the local diner and getting college degree was not a smart idea on his part.

 

He sat perched on the edge of the wooden seat  inside the school library, humming a small tune as he swung his legs back and forth to the rhythm. 

 

The library was open at odd hours due to the school taking into account the bad habitable of procrastination college tended to have. And Baekhyun always seemed to find himself sitting, deeply immersed into his calculus homework or frantically typing out his essay for his psychology class.

 

Today seemed to be one of those days.

 

It was a Friday night and most college students spent a Friday night out partying and getting drunk with their friends. But not Baekhyun. It was 11:30pm and he had an essay due at 12:00am. Which was in exactly 30 minutes. And Baekhyun, much his own dismay, had only typed out his own name: “Byun Baekhyun.” 

 

“” Baekhyun cursed at himself, “Why’d I think this was a good idea”

 

In all honesty, Baekhyun hated being a business major. He was only doing this to appease his mother who had begged him not to “waste his life” trying to pursue his dream of becoming a singer. Through much debate, Baekhyun finally caved to his mother’s wishes and abandoned his dream, as well as a part of his own happiness.

 

”This wouldn’t be be happening if I majored in music like I wanted” Baekhyun muttered bitterly to himself. 

 

Nonetheless he still had a four page paper to start, and finish in 30 minutes. So he pushed his own self deprecating thoughts aside and got to work. 

 

-

 

Baekhyun was unceremoniously awoken by an incessant tapping on his shoulder.

 

“Hmmm” he groaned, mind still cloudy with sleep. 

 

The tapping stopped, instead replaced with a warm hand on his shoulder. 

 

“You know this is the library right dude?” 

 

Baekhyun pried his eyes open and peered over his shoulder to see who had awoken him from his slumber. 

 

His eyes widened and he frantically tried to wipe the drool drying on the corner of his mouth. 

 

“Uh- I-“ Baekhyun stuttered, “Yes sorry I just, uh, fell asleep.” He looked down, face blushing with embarrassment. 

 

Baekhyun groaned inwardly, he couldn’t believe he just embarrassed himself in front of Park Chanyeol. Not that Chanyeol would have wanted anything to do with him anyway.

 

“Yeah” Chanyeol chuckled, “well it’s almost 4 AM and I’m ready to go home.” Baekhyun tilted his head in confusion, what did he mean he was ready to go home?

 

Chanyeol noticed his confusion and let out a breathy chuckle, “I can’t do that unless you leave dude. I work here part-time.”

 

“Oh!” Baekhyun stood up abruptly, his body swayed lightly due to the lack of food in his system. “I’m so sorry, I’ll get going”

 

He quickly collected his things, and scurried our the door. Making sure not to make eye contact with Chanyeol on his way out. Not wanting the tall man to see the blush of embarrassment blooming on his cheeks.

 

“Why me?” Baekhyun whined to himself once he knew Chanyeol wasn’t able to hear him. “Why him? Out of all people” He groaned, muttering curses to himself before he began to make the 20 minute walk back to his dorm.

 

-

 

Baekhyun carefully opened the door to his room, not trying to disturb his sleeping roommates. His roommate didn’t take kindly to Baekhyun making him up at odd hours.

 

“Baekhyun?” a voice called from the couch, “Baekhyun? It’s ing 4:35 AM, why are you just getting home?”

 

There was no anger behind the voice, but instead there was soft concern. Jongdae always worried about Baekhyun, about his sleeping habits. His eating habits. His everything habits.

 

“. Did I wake you?” Baekhyun cursed at himself for bothering his roommate again.

 

“Yeah” Jongdae yawned, “but it’s fine. I was trying to stay up so we could eat dinner together but I passed out.”

 

Baekhyun smiled at that, “thanks for your concern”

 

“Yeah, my well needed concern.” Jongdae sat up-right on the worn out leather couch. “You’re skin and bones, Baekkie. I’m afraid there’s gonna be strong winds one day and you’re just gonna blow away” 

 

Jongdae added a small whooshing sound and swung his arms towards the ceiling.

 

“Jongdae” Baekhyun sighed “please don’t start with this again.  I am fine,” he dropped his stuff onto dining table before he plopped down next to Jongdae, “stop worrying about me.”

 

“Let me worry” Jongdae huffed “you need someone to worry about you.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and punched Jongdae lightly on the shoulder.

 

“I’m hurt” Jongdae gripped his shoulder, feigning hurt, “you’ve wounded me.”

 

Baekhyun laughed, “Shutup Jongdae. I’m going to bed, alright?”

 

“Did you eat the leftovers I left in the fridge?”

 

“I’m already walking away, I can’t hear you Jongdae” Baekhyun called behind him as he made his way to his bedroom.

 

He opened the door to his bedroom and grimaced when he saw the mess he had left. 

 

Piled on the floor was his dirty laundry, and maybe some clean clothes. He never had the time or energy to sort through the clean and dirty clothes piles. Sat against his cream colored walls was his guitar, which served more purpose as a hanger than an actual guitar. He didn’t really need it anyway.

 

Pasted around his room were random post-it notes Jongdae had secretly stuck onto his wall while he was out. 

 

“You’re worth it!” one read, and Baekhyun had to resist the urge to snort and tear it to shreds when he first came home and found it stuck against his full body mirror.

 

Most of his mirror had been covered by porticos post-it notes Jongdae had stuck onto it. “Baekhyun you have an unhealthy obsession with that mirror, this is the next best thing from throwing that thing out” he had said.

 

Baekhyun hummed at the memory before launching himself onto his twin-size bed. 

 

He lied awake for a few minutes, allowing his eyes to start to weigh heavy with sleep. He thought back on his encounter with Chanyeol and hoped that that wouldn’t be their last.

 

-

 

There was screaming. Specifically Jongdae’s screaming.

 

“BAEKHYUN! THERE’S A SPIDER!” Jongdae screeched from the kitchen, “BAEKHYUN!”

 

“Jongdae” Baekhyun yelled back “stop overreacting”

 

“It’s huge, Baekhyun!” 

 

“That’s what she said” Baekhyun giggled to himself before he pushed himself off his bed and made his way to the kitchen. 

 

Baekhyun stood at the entryway of the kitchen, and watched Jongdae who had shielded his body with a frying pan.

 

Jongdae noticed Baekhyun’s presence and sighed in relief, “oh my god I almost died Baekhyun”

 

“There’s no spider” Baekhyun stated as he stared blankly at the spot Jongdae was pointing at with his finger.

 

“Oh my god! Baekhyun! I’m gonna die!”

 

“Okay”

 

“Do you not care that your best friend and roommate is gonna die today?”

 

“Should I?”

 

“Baekhyun!”

 

“Ow!” Jongdae yanked Baekhyun’s black hair harshly, “Jongdae you know I love you!”

 

“I almost died here” Jongdae huffed.

 

“You’re so dramatic” Baekhyun moaned, rubbing the head to ease the pain.

 

Jongdae hummed in agreement, “there’s a party at Sehun’s house tonight, you coming?”

 

“You know I hate parties” Baekhyun shuddered at the thought of being compacted a room full of sweaty drunk college students grinding up against each other. He’ll pass.

 

“It’s your 3rd year in college and you haven’t been to a single college party,” Jongdae gave Baekhyun a pleasing look, “please just come with me.”

 

“Jongdae-“

 

“Baekhyun please” 

 

“Jong-“

 

“Baekhyun” Jongdae whined, “I’m begging you”

 

“Fine” Baekhyun caved, “but 2 hours, tops.”

 

Jongdae paused for a moment, “3 hours”

 

“2 hours”

 

“2 and a half hours”

 

“2 hours”

 

“Baekhyun” he gave him a pointed look “3 hours, so you can truly experience a college party”

 

“” Baekhyun sighed, “fine okay, 3 hours.”

 

“Yay!” Jongdae cheered. Baekhyun smiled at his friend, but groaned when he remembered he’d have to go out tonight.

 

“Maybe you’ll finally get some tonight Baekhyunnie” Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

 

Baekhyun snorted as he grabbed a glass from the cabinet, “Yeah sure that person would need to be pretty drunk to wanna get with me.” He carefully filled his glass with water and chugged it down, ignoring the sad look Jongdae was giving.

 

“Baekhyun, you know you’re like really attractive right?”

 

Baekhyun swallowed the last bit of water before setting his glass back down and made his way to the living room. He could feel the water sloshing around his empty stomach. It was a familiar feeling.

 

“Sure” he answered nonchalantly. A part of him wanted to believe Jongdae.

 

“Baek-“

 

“Just drop Jongdae, it’s too early for your motivational ‘please don’t hate yourself Baekhyun’ speech you like giving me twice a week.” Baekhyun snapped, as he made a grab for the TV remote.

 

“Okay, okay” Jongdae replied and sat down on the couch next to Baekhyun, “I’ll pretend like you didn’t just say that” 

 

Baekhyun gave a weak smile in response before focusing his attention on the show currently playing on the TV.

 

-

 

Baekhyun hated parties. Which is exactly why he’d never been to one.

 

He sat idly as he sipped the beer Jongdae had handed him before slipping away, muttering something about wanting to get laid tonight. 

 

Baekhyun tipped back the last drop of his beer before he stood, making his way to He kitchen to grab another beer. He wasn’t here to get drunk but hey, it’s free booze, and Baekhyun isn’t one to refuse. 

 

He swayed slightly as he stood, he had always been a lightweight. Plus drinking on a nearly empty stomach always made him feel the buzz a little quicker than usual.

 

“Hey!” a voice called for Baekhyun’s attention, “Baekhyun!” 

 

Baekhyun turned and saw a sweaty Sehun clad in black skinny jeans and a low cut top showcasing a line of hickeys on his collarbones. 

 

He smiled, “hey Sehun.” 

 

“Since when does the recluse little Baekhyun come to my parties?” Sehun teased, squeezing Baekhyun’s thin frame as they hugged.

 

“Mmm” Baekhyun hummed, “Jongdae forced me out tonight. Said I  haven’t truly ‘experienced college’ till I been to one of these.”

 

“He’s a smart man” Sehun adjusted the neck of his shirt, exposing more of his chest revealing more hickeys  on his chest.

 

Baekhyun allowed his gaze to flicker down for a moment to the hickeys, he felt jealously swirling in his stomach. He wanted that.

 

“Oh yeah sorry bout these” Sehun gestured towards his chest, “girl I was with got a little too hickey happy I guess.” He rubbed the back of his neck with his palm, “anyway, you have fun ‘kay? I’m gonna go dance. Come join if you want, alright?”

 

Baekhyun nodded in agreement even though he knew he wouldn’t be making his way to the dance floor anytime soon.

 

“Good seeing you Baekhyun” Sehun gave him one last smile before he disappeared into the crowd. 

 

Baekhyun stood there for a moment before he started walking to the kitchen to get the beer he initially wanted. 

 

He reached for the bottle of beer only to feel the warmth of someone else’s hand on his own. 

 

He retracted his hand quickly, almost as if he had been burned, “s-sorry” he stuttered out.

 

The person let out a low chuckle, “it’s fine, you can have it.” The man the beer in Baekhyun’s direction.

 

Baekhyun froze, he recognized that voice. But it couldn’t be. 

 

He finally willed himself to look up and, “. You’re Park Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol let out a small laugh, “you know me?” 

 

“Oh” Baekhyun startled, “did I say that out loud?”

 

“Yup”

 

Baekhyun could feel his cheeks as they heated up to a light rose color. He quickly snatched the beer and popped the cap before chugging as much as he could before he spluttered, choking.

 

“Woah, you okay man” Chanyeol patted his back. Baekhyun slapped his hand away more harshly than he intended to.

 

“Yeah I’m fine” Baekhyun wheezed as he attempted to regain his breath.

 

“Mmm” Chanyeol hummed. He began to pour himself a drink, using a mixture liquors Baekhyun had never seen before.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“Oh, um Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.”

 

Chanyeol sipped at his drink before sticking his hand out for Baekhyun to shake, “nice to meet you. It’s nice to finally put a name to a face. I’ve been calling to ‘library boy’ in my head”

 

Baekhyun reddened, “you remember that?”

 

“How could I not” Chanyeol smiled, “it’s not often I see people drooling onto the library tables at 4 in the morning”

 

At that moment Baekhyun just wanted to crawl into a hole and die. Or maybe find Jongdae and drag him home and force him to cuddle with him on their ancient couch while rewatching Mean Girls for the nth time.

 

“Wanna dance?” Chanyeol asked, cutting into the silence like a knife.

 

“I don’t know how to dance” Baekhyun confesses sheepishly. Which was only half the truth. He didn’t want to embarrass himself in front of the hot music major. Not again.

 

“Me neither” Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s hand and begun to lead him to the crowd, “I guess we’ll learn as me go, yeah?”

 

“No” Baekhyun tugged his hand back from Chanyeol, “I don’t know what you want from me but I’m not gonna your just cause you wooed me with your little games. I’m not like that.”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing,” Baekhyun let out a sigh, “I’m just gonna go home.”

 

“Oh” Chanyeol’s happy expression for a moment, but he quickly composed himself, “just so you know, I wasn’t trying to sleep with you Baekhyun. I’m straight.” 

 

He waved Baekhyun goodbye before making his way to dance with a leggy brunette in a mini skirt, allowing his hands to dance along her thin waist.

 

Baekhyun grimaced as he unconsciously pinched at the skin of his hips. He felt stupid for accusing Chanyeol of being gay. 

 

He reached into his pockets and sent a text to Jongdae, letting him know that he’d be heading home first. 

 

He pocketed his phone and took one last look at the mass of people. He instantly regretted it. 

 

Chanyeol had his back against the wall, the brunette from earlier eagerly at his neck. He had a leg between her thighs, allowing her to grind softly against him. His head hitting the wall and his mouth open in pleasure.

 

Baekhyun pried his eyes away. 

 

Of course he’s not interested in me, he thought to himself.