Head Injury

You'll Fly Away and Break

“Jungkook, Taehyung, please be careful!”

Seokjin attempted, he could at least say that. He could say that he’d tried to make the others be responsible, however, his warning appeared to fall upon deaf ears as the two youngest didn’t even look up from the game of tag they were playing.

Of course, why would they listen to the oldest?

They’d been at it for half an hour now, chasing each other around the dorm regardless of what stood in their way. Yoongi had decided to take a nap on the couch, and it really was a wonder he hadn’t been woken by the ruckus around him. Heaving with a deep sigh, Seokjin his heel and headed into the kitchen to start preparing dinner. If they weren’t listening to him, they’d get no sympathy when one of the two would inevitably get hurt.

Namjoon had left a few hours ago to practice in the studio, despite the fact it was their day off. Jimin had followed, wanting to work on their new dance routine, and Hoseok had gone and taken a nap in his bedroom.

What had started at Seokjin wanting to watch a movie with the younger members had turned into quite a violent game of tag, and he wanted nothing to do with it.

“Come on Hyung, you can move faster than this!” Jungkook mocked, jumping on top of the coffee table and running across it with a laugh as Taehyung was right behind him, knocking a notepad from the wooden surface as he chased.

“Yah! I’m just trying to make sure you get a head start!” Taehyung countered, reaching forward and hooking his finger into the hood on Jungkook’s jumper and tugging him backwards, earning a yelp from the younger before the silver haired boy connected his other hand with Jungkook’s behind. “Tag! Got you!” With that said, Taehyung turned quickly and leapt from the table, using the edge to propel himself forward and catch his footing before he ran out of the living area, giggling to himself as he heard Jungkook’s disgruntled yelp followed by fast footsteps.

Heading towards the kitchen, Taehyung grabbed Jin, laughing as he hid behind him from their maknae, tugging the oldest hyung around like a human shield as Jungkook tried to hit him without getting his hyung in the process.

“Yah yah yah! Taehyung I’m trying to cook!”

“Sorry Hyung!” Taehyung laughed, darting out from behind the older to head back into the living area, but not before Jungkook hooked his finger in the waistband of the older’s shorts and pulled him closer.

“Tag! Got you!”

Instantly, Taehyung grabbed Jungkook and grinned. “Tag, got you back!”

“That’s no fair! No tag backs!” Jungkook stuck his tongue out before making haste at getting away, darting straight back into the living area with Taehyung hot on his heels.

Quickly, he had to assess the fastest route to get away from Taehyung, to trick him into missing him so he could slide right past. The best, if not the stupidest route, would be over the couch. All he had to do was avoid Yoongi’s sleeping form and he’d be scot-free, because his Hyung wouldn’t dare follow him through such dangerous terrain. It was perfect.

So without wasting a second, Jungkook jumped up onto the couch, the side in which Yoongi slept, as he heard his best friend enter the room. With a joyful laugh, Jungkook leapt over the sleeping form, giving a surprise gasp as his foot didn’t quite make the leap. As his socked foot connected with Yoongi’s slouched form, his whole balance was thrown off kilter, his other foot and arms scrambling to break his fall.

He failed to do that very important save, his head flying straight into the corner of the solid wood coffee table, Taehyung’s panicked screech and Yoongi’s disgruntled, sleepy growl the last things Jungkook was aware of before the blinding impact of pain, and his body falling into a crumpled pile between the couch and table.

Yoongi awoke immediately, standing with the tips of his ears turning red from the anger burning inside of him. “Jungkook! Taehyung! You knew I was tired, you knew I was trying to sleep. Why did you just kick me?! Were you trying to pull a prank? Because I’m not laughing!”

But Jungkook didn’t answer, the second youngest of the group hurrying around the table to kneel by Jungkook’s head, hands trembling beyond control as his face blanched.

“H-Hyung, Hyung I think he’s hurt..!” Taehyung cried, quite literally as tears gathered in his eyes, hands hovering over Jungkook’s shoulder. “H-Hey, Kookie, com-come on lets get up..!”

Called by the sudden shouting, Seokjin hurried into the room, now wearing a stained apron that he had owned since they’d all moved into the dorm together years previous. “What’s going on?” Once his soft gazed landed on the two younger members on the floor, his own face paled. “I told you two to be careful!” Hurrying over, Jin joined Taehyung in kneeling by the maknae. “Yoongi, please, move the table. Just push it aside.”

Anger and grogginess from sleep forgotten, Yoongi hurried over pulling the table out of the way so they could access their maknae’s slumped form better.

“Okay, we can’t move him.” Jin confirmed, frowning a little as his voice wavered. He had to keep calm, if he didn’t, Taehyung was sure to panic more.

Especially as Jungkook’s state became more apparent.

A goose egg sized lump had formed on Jungkook’s forehead almost instantly, a deep gash running through it that was bleeding heavily, blood running into the youngest’s eyes, not that they were open.

“What happened?” He asked pointedly to Taehyung, who seemed to be having difficulty taking a normal breath through his panic.

“W-we were playing tag, b-but you know that, I think he tried to take a short cut over the couch but he didn’t jump right and kicked Yoongi-hyung, and h-he lost his balance and fell. His head hit the corner of the table and he hasn’t gotten moved since!”

“Alright, calm down, Kookie is going to be okay…” Leaning forward, Seokjin started gently tapping Jungkook’s cheek, being careful not to jolt him or move his neck too much, just in case. “Jungkook? Can you hear me? Kook?”

Giving a small groan, Jungkook slowly opened his eyes, moving an unfocused gaze over to look at his oldest hyung.

“There you are. Yoongi, can you call an ambulance please?”

“A-an ambulance?” Taehyung squeaked, looking up at Yoongi as he stood, leaving the room while pressing his phone to his ear. “I-is Kookie really that hurt, hyung??”

Seokjin shook his head a little. “I don’t know, but I don’t want to take any chances with a head wound. He woke up, but he’s really dazed…” He felt his own panic rising in this throat, but quickly swallowed it down. Panicking wouldn’t help anything right now. “Jungkook, can you hear me? Don’t nod, just blink twice if you can.”

Jungkook hesitated, as if processing the words, but blinked twice, letting the fear in Seokjin’s stomach settle a little.

“Good, that’s good. Can you talk?”

“Yes Hyung,” Jungkook’s voice was small and feeble, but there.

“Good, can you tell me what hurts?”

“…My head.”

“Yeah, thought so. You’ve taken quite a bad fall, Yoongi is calling a doctor for you now, so just stay lying there, okay? I’m going to call Sejin-hyung and Namjoon, get them to meet us at the hospital. Is that okay?”

“Mmhmm..” Jungkook mumbled in reply, remembering to not nod his head. Why was he not allowed again?

“Because you hit your head quite hard, and I want to make sure you haven’t hurt your neck.”

“Oh. Did I say that out loud?”

“Yeah, you did Kook.” Jin smiled, reaching down and threading long fingers through Jungkook’s head, carefully pushing bangs out of the youngest’s eyes to try and prevent them getting more blood soaked. “Taehyung, can you go get me a clean face cloth please?”

Looking up from where he’d just been staring at their maknae, Taehyung gave a small nod, before getting to his feet and hurrying out, still trembling from the fear racing through his body.

“Kook, we’re going to have to talk about this when you’re feeling better. I warned you it was dangerous, and neither you nor Tae listened to me, now you’re hurt. Do you understand?”

“Mmhmm…” Was Jungkook’s dazed reply once again, his eyes beginning to slide closed.

“No no, Kook, stay awake. You can’t go to sleep right now, okay? Stay awake talking to Hyung.” Jin quickly said, leaning over and tapping Jungkook’s cheek again with his free hand. “You can’t go to sleep.”

“Tired, hyung…”

“I know you’re tired, but just stay awake for hyung, okay?” Keeping an eye on their youngest, Seokjin quickly wiggled his phone from his back pocket, sending a quick text to their manager to explain the situation, then posting in the group chat they had lovingly called “Jungkook is Stupid”.

EommaJin: Jungkook fell and hit his head, we’re waiting for an ambulance right now. Just so everyone is aware. If you want to meet us at the hospital that would be great.

ChimChim: Is he hurt really bad???

EommaJin: He’s awake and talking to me, but he’s dazed and wants to go to sleep. He was unconscious for a little bit.

Joonie: We’ll be right there.

With a text back from their manager Sejin, confirming that he’s on his way to the dorm now, Jin felt satisfied enough to put his phone away as Yoongi walked back in, Taehyung right behind him.

“They’re on their way,” Yoongi confirmed. “They said to not move his head until they get there, and keep him awake.”

“Already on it.” Jin replied, reaching over and taking the face cloth from Taehyung before pressing it against the lump on Jungkook’s head in an attempt to stop the blood that was flowing there. At Jungkook’s small whimper, Seokjin shushed him gently. “Shh shhh, I know it hurts but it’s helping, I promise. I’m sorry, we’ll get you sorted soon. Help is on the way.” Looking back up at the other two, where Taehyung had now buried his face into Yoongi’s back to try and stem the tears, he gave a reassuring smile. “He’ll be fine. Manager-hyung is on his way to take us to the hospital, I doubt all 4 of us, 5 including Hoseok, will be allowed in the ambulance with him. Speaking of, Yoongi, can you hold the cloth on Jungkook’s head? I need to go wake Hobi up.”

Nodding, Yoongi moved forward, taking Jin’s place in looking after the maknae while the oldest left to go wake the other.

“Hey Kook, I’m sorry for yelling. You know how I get when I’m woken up.”

“Mmm, sorry for kicking you…” Came Jungkook’s breathy reply, eyelids fluttering slightly as his dazed gaze struggled to focus on Yoongi’s face without moving his head. “Didn’t mean to…”

“I know you didn’t, it’s okay. We’ll get you all patched up, and then we’ll talk about how much of an idiot you were today, okay?”

“Okay…” Once again, Jungkook’s eyes fluttered a little and slipped closed.

“Yah, maknae, wake up. Both Jin and I have told you now, don’t be disrespectful.”

Jungkook’s eyes cracked open again at the words. Yoongi felt a little bad about pulling the respect card, he knew Jungkook wasn’t being disrespectful after all, but it was the easiest way to make the youngest follow what he was saying.

“There you are. Stay awake or you will be in trouble.”

“Hyung, he’s not meaning to be disrespectful, please don’t be mad at him…”

“I’m not, don’t worry. Just making him listen.” Yoongi reassured Taehyung, copying Jin’s previous movements and threading his fingers through Jungkook’s hair.

A little sniffle caught his attention, and it didn’t take him long to realise their youngest was now crying.

“Hey hey hey, none of that, what’s wrong?”

“Hurts..”

“I know, I know, but it’ll be okay.”

Glancing up at Seokjin walked back in with a groggy Hobi in toe, Yoongi felt himself relax. They were all there now to look after Jungkook.

But as Hoseok noticed the blood staining the corner of the table, the floor, and the cloth pressed against Jungkook’s face, he visibly paled.

“I-I’ll go wait for the ambulance,” he stuttered out, before turning and hurrying to the front door of the dorm. He couldn’t blame him really, it wasn’t exactly a reassuring sight, and Hobi never had been good with blood.

Within minutes though, the paramedics had arrived, shooing Yoongi out of the way and surrounding Jungkook, asking him various questions before putting him in a neck brace and getting him on a stretcher with ease.

“I-Is he going to be okay?” Taehyung asked, hovering over the shoulder of one of the paramedics, who gave the idol a reassuring smile.

“He’ll be okay, we’re going to take him in though. He’s probably going to need a stitch or two, and get checked over, but I’m sure he’ll be alright.” As they headed towards the door, Yoongi quickly followed.

“Wait, he’ll panic if he’s alone. Let one of us go with him.”

The two paramedics looked at each other, before giving a nod. “Okay, but not all of you. Only one. We’ll take him in the back now, decide between yourselves quickly.” With that said, they headed out of the dorm towards where they’d parked the ambulance.

Yoongi looked back towards the other two in the room. “Quickly, who’s going with him?”

“You go, Yoongi, we’ll follow behind once Manager-hyung gets here.” Seokjin said with a small smile.

Giving nothing more than a nod in reply, Yoongi hurried out, following the paramedics into the back of the ambulance and grabbing Jungkook’s hand in reassurance.

———————————

Hours later, everyone was back at the dorm. Jungkook had required two stitches in his forehead, and would probably be left with a scar once the wound was done healing, but they’d thankfully found no problems with his neck. Plus, a mild concussion, but that hadn’t really surprised anyone with how hard Jungkook had hit the table.

He was going to be sleepy and confused for a few days, but as long as they kept an eye on him, the doctors had reassured them that he’d be fine.

Regardless of that fact, the six healthy members didn’t want to let Jungkook out of their sight. The coffee table had been moved as far out of the way as they could get it, and the group had instead formed a cuddle pile on the couch. Jungkook in the middle, surrounded by blankets and pillows, with Yoongi on one side, Taehyung on the other, Namjoon next to Yoongi, Jimin next to Taehyung, and Jin and Hobi both on the floor in front. Each member had some part of Jungkook to hold, the bottom two allowing their hands to rest on their maknae’s thighs, the closest two holding his hands, and the two on the end each with a hand threaded into his hair.

Snug in the middle, Jungkook slept soundly, head nuzzled into the gap between Yoongi’s jaw and shoulder.

He still had to be lectured on his recklessness, but that could wait for another day.