4/4

Texting the Scammer

“There, there. You go ahead and you let it all out. No one here is judging.” Tiffany patted the blubbering woman beside her. “Well, besides them.”

 

“Mama, please, can we take her home? I always wanted a baby sister. I promise I’ll take care of her. Please, please, Mama, please.” The five-year-old begged her mother, who was smiling awkwardly at Taeyeon, who was sobbing even harder on Tiffany’s shoulder as their two best friends exchanged rings.

 

Taeyeon sniffed as she rubbed her puffy eyes. The tears just would not stop, but she had to defend herself to this supposed child that had the audacity to claim her as her baby sister. “I’m twenty-nine. I’m no one’s baby sister,” the best ‘man’ grumbled.

 

“I want her.” The child stubbornly responded with her tiny hands balled into fists.

 

Caught in between an uncomfortable situation, the mother quickly pulled her daughter out of the room just as the brides exited the chapel.

 

Taeyeon glared with swollen eyes as Tiffany kept her grin intact. “Aw, don’t look so upset. I really don’t blame the kid. You look like you’d be an adorable baby sister. Though, I’d probably take you home for other reasons.”

 

Thoughts about how perfect the wedding was or how warm and magical the atmosphere had felt were completely thrown out the window as Taeyeon’s cheeks ballooned up as a fit of coughs erupted over Tiffany’s suggestive words.

 

Was that too forward? Creepy? Tiffany smiled shamelessly anyways. She realized she enjoyed stirring a reaction from Taeyeon.

 

“I, um, I’m going to get some water. I’m really thirsty.”

 

“Oh? You’re thirsty?” Tiffany lifted a brow.

 

“I—I mean dehydrated from all that crying. I’ll be right back.” Without sparing a glance at Tiffany, Taeyeon and her reddened face hurriedly ran out of the room.

 

A minute had barely passed when Tiffany’s phone started buzzing.

 

(Taeyeon): Oh , she’s hitting on me! I think?

 

(Taeyeon): I thought I had lost all chances after that circus show I just performed, but maybe I still have a shot.

 

(Taeyeon): By the way, don’t think I forgot about how you left me hanging before this. Thanks for nothing. Worst wingman of the century goes to you

 

(Tiffany): Sorry, I was busy, but I’m free now. How can I help? :) oh, and how’s the wedding going? You didn’t cry, did you?

 

(Taeyeon): If my tears are the rain, then my face is a drought.

 

(Tiffany): …

 

(Taeyeon): Anyways, what should I say to her? I wanna sound cool but not seem like such a tryhard

 

(Taeyeon): But idk. What do you think? How can I impress her?

 

(Tiffany): Just be natural. Be yourself? She’ll like you for you.

 

(Taeyeon): I’m lame. Next.

 

(Tiffany): omg what are you talking about? If you’re lame then I’m a door

 

(Taeyeon): Say sorry to all the doors in the world. They are not lame. They have a purpose in life that makes them useful to people

 

(Tiffany): Uhh, ok, sorry doors. But seriously, you are not lame. You’re an awesome person. Plus, you can’t be lame since I only hang with cool people :D

 

(Taeyeon): wow, that was so lame lol

 

(Tiffany): rude :(

 

(Taeyeon): Forgive me, Sensei. Now, really, help me out here please

 

(Tiffany): Okay, fine. Why don’t you just tell her a joke? Everyone loves jokes.

 

(Taeyeon): You’re not serious

 

(Tiffany): Everyone. Loves. Jokes. Period.

 

(Taeyeon): You can’t just type the word ‘Period’ and then follow it with an actual ‘.’

 

(Tiffany): Focus, woman

 

(Taeyeon): Ok, ok I’ll do it. And I better get the D by the end of this

 

(Tiffany): O_O WHAT.

 

(Tiffany): The D???

 

(Taeyeon): D for date. Why?

 

(Tiffany): oh nothing…

 

(Tiffany): Just go and get that D ;)

 

(Taeyeon): On it ;)

 

Without a second to waste, Taeyeon ran from across the banquet area to where she had left Tiffany in a matter of seconds, which was considered a feat since she never actually exercised ever since she graduated high school.

 

“Hey,” A heavily breathing Taeyeon croaked out as she tried to catch her breath.

 

“Hey, you’re back,” Tiffany casually slipped her phone back into her bag and offered Taeyeon a handkerchief. “You kind of look more dehydrated than before. Do you want to go to the bar to get some water? I know where they keep the chilled ones.”

 

“No, no, I’m fine.” Taeyeon wheezed while drenching the handkerchief in her sweat, “I just really need to ask you this.”

 

“Okay, shoot.”

 

“So, um, knock, knock?”

 

Either the woman was too eager or wasn’t used to building up to these types of things. Tiffany almost laughed in Taeyeon’s all-too-serious face. “Who’s there?”

 

Taeyeon chewed on her inner cheek. “It’s A-Amee.”

 

Not too long after, Tiffany was in a fit of giggles as Taeyeon, the joke thief, started puckering her face in humiliation as she stared her phone down.

 

“Oh, I guess you already heard that joke.”

 

“I might have.”

 

“Oh shoot, I’m thirsty again.” Taeyeon pressed the back of her hand over her forehead and sighed dramatically. “Excuse me.”

 

Tiffany chuckled at the sight of Taeyeon rushing out of the room once again. “Dork.”

 

(Taeyeon): I hate you.

 

(Taeyeon): Remind me never to take your advice ever again!

 

(Tiffany): Whoa, whoa. Did your joke not go well?

 

(Taeyeon): She clearly shares your sense of humor since she laughed at that lame joke you told me, but now I have nothing to impress her with. I’m all joked out

 

(Tiffany): Only a truly funny person can appreciate a good joke. It’s boring people like you that I pray for.

 

(Taeyeon): What the. I can be funny.

 

(Taeyeon): Why didn’t the chicken cross the road?

 

(Tiffany): Why?

 

(Taeyeon): Because it’s a chicken! LOLOLOL XD

 

(Tiffany): I really dislike you right now, but I’m willing to forgive you for it, because I have something I need to tell you.

 

(Taeyeon): Okay, what is it?

 

(Tiffany): I like someone.

 

(Taeyeon): Wait, is that the joke?

 

(Tiffany): No, I’m serious. And when I see her again, I’m going to tell her.

 

(Taeyeon): You are?

 

(Taeyeon): Wait

 

Tiffany ignored the buzzing from her phone. If Taeyeon had something to say, well, she’ll just have to wait for Tiffany to tell her in person, because she was done playing games.

 

Spotting Taeyeon by the bar, Tiffany’s feet had moved before her brain could process it.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon looked up from her shot glass. “Oh, Fany, hey.”

 

“Can I join you?”

 

“Sure,” Taeyeon sipped her drink slowly, feeling a numbness slowly creeping up.

 

“So, Taeyeon, I—“

 

“What’s it feel like to like someone romantically?”

 

Taken off guard by the sudden question, Tiffany nearly fell off her stool. “Um, well—“

 

“Like does your heart start beating fast or is it when you crave their attention almost all the time?”

 

“Those are some of the symptoms that could mean you like someone, but—“

 

“Or is it when you start feeling anxious and beyond terrified when someone you thought you liked as a friend just admitted to liking someone else? It feels like your heart just dropped to your stomach and the uneasiness is just eating away at you.”

 

Taeyeon peered up at Tiffany helplessly as the latter felt the exact feeling that Taeyeon had just described.

 

“Is there someone you like, Taeyeon?”

 

Blinking rapidly and pinching her eyebrows together, Taeyeon gulped the rest of her drink. “I really don’t know for certain. I’m confused as hell, and I just want to meet her face-to-face to figure out how I truly feel before it’s too late. And it’s insane that I have never even met her in person before, but she’s on my mind almost all the time. I’m being crazy, aren’t I?”

 

Holy . Was Tiffany getting ed by her own self?

 

“No,” Tiffany gave Taeyeon an affectionate squeeze on the shoulder, “You are not crazy.”

 

“You think I should call her? She’s not answering any of my texts.”

 

Tiffany’s hand dropped from Taeyeon’s shoulder as if it just burned her. “Actually, I don’t think—“

 

“Okay, I’m gonna do it,” Taeyeon had excitedly responded and without wasting another second, she started dialing Tiffany’s number.

 

And just as Taeyeon pressed ‘Call,’ Tiffany’s ringtone went off.

 

“Aren’t you going to get that?”

 

“O-Oh, yeah, getting it right now.” If there were a moment to panic, it’d be now. Beads of sweat started forming on Tiffany’s forehead as she walked a couple of feet away to pick up the dreaded call. “H-Hello?” Tiffany whispered in a raspy voice that was a tone lower than her usual.

 

“T-Tiffany?” Taeyeon stuttered nervously but that twinge of excitement could still be detected in her tone. So this was what Tiffany’s voice sounded like—so soft and husky—so fitting. “Hi, um, I guess you can tell who this is by caller ID, but anyways, it’s me, Taeyeon. Did I surprise you with this call?”

 

Shook, yes.

 

“I’m sorry for suddenly calling you. I guess I just got impatient.” Taeyeon laughed nervously as she twirled her wavy locks, “So, um, I’ll just cut to the chase instead of blabbering on. I know we talked about meeting up a couple of nights back, and maybe you were just joking at that time, but I meant it and I still mean it. I want to meet with you in person. There’s something I need to tell you, Tiffany. Is that okay?”

 

“Of course it’s okay.” Better than okay. And why wait? She might as well do it right now.

 

“Really?” Taeyeon hopped a bit in her step as she pulled the phone away to make an excited little squeal. “Okay then. When do you want to meet?”

 

Giving Taeyeon a side-eye glance, she couldn’t help but beam adoringly when she saw that infectious smile. “How about now?”

 

“Now? Wait, but I’m at my friend’s wedding, remember?”

 

“That won’t be a problem. I’ll come now.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened. “Wait, but—“ The line suddenly went dead before Taeyeon can say anything else. “She doesn’t even know the address.”

 

“Hey.” Tiffany tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder, and the girl finally looked away from her phone to look confusedly at Tiffany. “Sorry I took so long.”

 

“Hmm?” Taeyeon hummed distractedly while her eyes remained fixated on her phone. “Oh, yeah, don’t worry about it. I was also on a call.”

 

Tiffany let out a shaky laugh. How slow was this girl? “So what did you want to tell me in person? I mean, I think I’ve already figured out what you wanted to say, but I think it’d be better to hear it as the Tiffany that you know.”

 

Tiffany patiently waited as Taeyeon’s eyes turned round and wide with realization.

 

“T-Tiffany?”

 

“Yes?” Tiffany tilted her head like a patiently waiting puppy.

 

“But, but, you’re Fany. Wait. Fany. Tiffany. Tif-Fany.” Taeyeon’s mouth fell open. “You’re the same person?!”

 

Letting out an awkward chuckle, Tiffany guiltily nodded her head.

 

“I’m sorry, but I don’t believe you.”

 

In disbelief, Taeyeon dialed Tiffany’s number only to hear the latter’s phone ringing. She had done this two more times before she finally accepted Tiffany as Fany.

 

“You,” Taeyeon pointed her accusatory finger at the woman before her. “You freaking catfished me?! ”

 

Suddenly, Taeyeon’s hands were practically massaging Tiffany’s face as her finger was on Tiffany’s upper lip and pushing it upwards. “Where’s your bunny teeth, and your freckles, and your choppy bangs? What the ! You look nothing like your picture!” She exclaimed in offense.

 

“Yeah, I know. That picture looked ten times better.”

 

Taeyeon’s lips twitched. Now was not the time to laugh at Tiffany’s joke. She was genuinely pissed off at the woman. She had spent the whole day embarrassing herself by acting like a complete fool without realizing that the person she wanted to woo was also the person she was going to for advice.

 

“Hey,” Tiffany pouted cutely, which was effectively chipping away at Taeyeon’s anger. “Are you upset with me? I wouldn’t blame you if you are.”

 

Taeyeon huffed. “I’m not upset. I’m honestly more disappointed that you made yourself my wingman. It’s kind of sad that you have no game, don’t you think?” Taeyeon teased with a shrug.

 

Tiffany laughed with relief. “So you’re not mad at me for not coming out in the beginning when I realized who you were?”

 

“Nah, I’m more relieved to know that I like the same person. But why didn’t you just tell me who you really were?”

 

Tiffany shrugged indifferently. “I thought it was funny to mess with you.”

 

Taeyeon was starting to dislike Tiffany’s humor. “Wow. I hate you so much.”

 

“Aw, does that mean you don’t want that D anymore?” Tiffany smirked slyly.

 

Taeyeon felt a burning sensation creep up her cheeks. When said out loud, the phrase sounded dirty for some reason.

 

“Yes, I still want the D.”

 

“Great. The cost for it is very affordable too.”

 

“Cost?”

 

“Yup. Just five hundred dollars.”

 

“Five hundred?! You’re too much.”

 

“Oh, but it’s a steal if you think about it. Shipping and handling is already included. And if you don’t act soon, someone else might accept the offer."

 

Shaking her head in laughter, Taeyeon slipped her hand into Tiffany’s.

 

“I knew you were a scammer.”

 


It's finally over forreals xD Thanks for reading. Also, I apologize for taking so long. I really have no excuse. I'm just a lazy bean ^3^