Chapter One

Do You Trust Me?

Junhui didn't believe it when he was given the news of Heechul running away. He couldn't imagine his eldest brother fleeing a month before his coronation. Now what was going to happen? His parents were not happy at all. They called their other sons down to the gathering hall for a family meeting.

“Now since Heechul has vanished and we have no clue where he has gone except for the small note he left. We must not push this coronation anymore. The people are becoming impatient!” Their father yelled as he sat down with a graceful huff. Their mother sighed.

“Minhyuk-ah should be the next choice but we need you to be fertile to make babies. And Taehyung is just not right for the part. Sorry sweetie.” Their mother patted Taehyung’s head softly while the boy smiled at his mom.

“I'm sorry I am useless, mom and dad. I have failed you…” Minhyuk mumbled as he bowed his head low. Their father frowned. 

“It's okay Minie.” Their father said as Minhyuk tried to smile. “But this now only leaves us with Junhui to take the role. You will be coronated in a month. You have until then to find a wife or husband. Or we can just set up dates for you, my son.” Junhui was staring at them with wide, unreadable eyes.

“You're kidding right?” Junhui asked. Minhyuk and Taehyung could feel the oncoming argument. “You know what, whatever. I'll do it. But you may chose a few and I will pick the ones who suit my taste.” Junhui was speaking but had zero idea of what was just said. He was in shock. His father hummed. Minhyuk looked between them.

“Hyunwoo might know someone who I think Junie would like.” Minhyuk spoke carefully. Their mother smiled. 

“Okay. We will have you contact him and see if that person wouldn't mind meeting our lovely son.” The queen was already beaming. The three sons all stood and bowed to their parents, before exiting. 

“Junhui please don’t be too judgemental when you meet their choices.” Minhyuk said with a soft voice as they all walked down the hall. Taehyung frowned.

“I guess it was the logical option to pick you, but I think Minhyuk should still be the next in line even though he’s infertile.” Taehyung stated. Minhyuk lowered his head. Junhui nodded.

“So do I, but we all know how mom and dad are. They want royal blood children, not adopted.” Junhui said softly before reaching for his older brother’s hand. Minhyuk sped up his pace, rejecting his brother’s hand. 

“I’m going to call Hyunwoo to come over with his friend. Please don’t be rude.” Minhyuk said with a hint of anger as he slammed his bedroom door shut. 

“I guess we shouldn’t of brought that up…” Taehyung frowned as the twins walked into their shared room. Junhui sighed sadly. 

“It’s just confusing. Why did Heechul leave?” Junhui asked softly. Taehyung shrugged. 

“It might have to do with the fact that he always hated that he was the crowned prince. Not Minhyuk.” Taehyung huffed as he laid down. Junhui sat down on his own bed. 

“This is going to be interesting. Let’s see who they choose for me…” Junhui laid down and slowly fell asleep after hearing Taehyung’s tired hum in agreement.

-Three hours later-

“Hyunwoo welcome” The butler bowed as he opened the door for the man and his fellow friend. “Hello sir may I know your name?” The butler asked said boy. 

“I am Mingyu… I am Hyunwoo’s friend.” Mingyu bowed a complete 90 degrees. Hyunwoo smiled. 

“Minhyuk had asked me to bring him for Junhui. You know…” Hyunwoo winked at the butler who grinned and pointed up the stairs. 

“Prince Minhyuk is in his bedroom, Prince Junhui is also in his shared room, but he is resting.” The butler bowed before closing the front door and walking away towards the living area. Mingyu shivered. 

“Are you sure it’s okay to bring me here for the choosing of the future spouse of the youngest prince?” Hyunwoo shrugged. 

“Minhyuk thinks you will catch his brothers attention. Plus he likes your kind of people I guess.” Hyunwoo stated after they finished climbing the stairs. Hyunwoo walked over to a bedroom door and knocked two times. The door opened and the two boys walked in. 

“Hyunwoo…” Minhyuk sniffed as he hugged his beloved. Hyunwoo and Mingyu frowned. 

“What happened?” Hyunwoo asked softly. Mingyu nodded. 

“I just feel like such a failure to my family. And with Heechul’s sudden disappearance, and Junhui becoming crowned prince has just made it worse.” Minhyuk sniffed softly while Hyunwoo wiped away his tears. The prince stepped away from his boyfriend and gazed at Mingyu. 

“I’ve brought Mingyu as requested. Do you think Junhui will like him?” Hyunwoo asked. Minhyuk smiled softly. 

“I hope he will. But I would like to request one more thing from you Mingyu.” the boy nodded. “He gets bored easily and I simply do not want my brother using you. Just be yourself and do not say you are the one Hyunwoo brought, let us tell him that when it comes time to.” Mingyu nodded as Minhyuk hugged Hyunwoo tightly. 

“Mingyu, you should go look around the castle.” Hyunwoo said. Mingyu nodded, understanding why he must leave, and left to walk downstairs. 

“Hello Mingyu” The butler bowed as he passed the young boy. Mingyu bowed as well. 

Mingyu slowly made his way through the halls to the other side of the castle. He stumbled upon two giant doors that lead to the gardens outside.  

“Woah…” Mingyu whispered to himself as he opened the doors and stepped outside into the cold breeze of the outdoors. It was drizzling out, the sky was a dark grey causing the lights to turn on, illuminating the rows of walkways near the recently blossomed flowers. 

Mingyu made his way around the gardens as the rain dripped onto his clothes and hair causing them to stick to his body. As he walked around the rather large gardens, he noticed the small graveyard at the end on the massive yard. He also noticed the slouched figure kneeling as he stared at a tombstone. Mingyu slowly stepped closer to the male as he noticed the other shivering. 

“Were they close to you?” Mingyu asked quietly as he kneeled down with the other young male and stared at the engraved stone. The male turned his head to look at the other, but was met with Mingyu’s side profile.

“She was my grandmother.” The male spoke with a soft voice, similar to Minhyuk’s and was still staring at Mingyu. “Who are you?” The male stated.  Mingyu sighed longingly before closing his eyes and leaning forward and placing a cherry blossom on top of the grass in front of the tombstone. He opened his eyes and smiled slightly before pressing a palm to the stone. 

“Please rest well late Queen Hyori. We miss you dearly.” Mingyu whispered before bowing his head and then raising it to meet the awaiting eyes of the youngest prince.  “I am Kim Mingyu, and you are Prince Junhui. The youngest son of our King Yunho.” Mingyu stated with a slight smile on his lips. 

“Why are you here?” Junhui asked even though he knew quite well why most random people would be in his home. Mingyu’s laugh was quiet, soft, and didn’t even seem to be a laugh. 

“The reason why I am here is not your problem.” Mingyu stood gently. Junhui stood along with the boy. The prince was intrigued by the way the boy held himself with so much pride. He wouldn’t mind being married to a boy as entertaining as this one. 

“Ah, I see. Why did you decide to enter the gardens?” Junhui asked in a whisper. Mingyu frowned as he looked down.

“Gardens have always been a safe haven for me. I love the smell of them and the aesthetically pleasing sight of it all.” Mingyu stated. Junhui hummed. 

“I see. I love nature, so did my grandmother. The only reason we have such a beautiful garden was because she took care of it. But now, I don't know who will. I try to but I'm not very good at it.” Junhui looked rather displeased as he stared down the large garden. Mingyu frowned.

“You could hire people to maintain the garden.” Mingyu stated as he stepped up to the prince, shoulders equal to each other. The young prince looked down.

“Then it wouldn't have the same love and care then. Grandma and I love this garden. She tried to teach me how to take care of the garden. I just never was able to, and it makes me feel terrible.” Junhui said sadly. Mingyu looked at the prince.

“You two were very close.” Mingyu stated. Junhui was staring at his feet, a tear threatening to escape his beautiful eyes. 

“When I was younger, grandma took care of me. My parents were technically in charge of the country, and grandma was my guardian. My brothers were more important to my parents, and I was the last son. I was useless until now.” Junhui whispered. “And Grandma was the only one who truly took care of me. She gave me a life inside this castle. My brothers cared but they had other duties to attend to.” Mingyu saw the prince’s shoulders shake as he took a deep breath.

“You don't have to tell me anything more.” Mingyu said. Junhui laughed bitterly.

“The sad thing is, is that I haven't been able to talk for a while. Since grandma died no one's asked me how I was doing. They just focused on Heechul and his incoming coronation. Now since he ran off, minhyuk is unable to conceive, and Taehyung is seen as an idiot by our parents, i'm stuck becoming the center of attention. You would think I would love it. But I don't.” Junhui started to walk further into the garden. Mingyu followed the prince.

“No one knows what happens here, in the castle. So it's not like I really understand the difficulty of being the fourth son, and then being thrown into the spotlight without any decision on your part.” Mingyu said slowly. “But I do understand the being alone and only having one person who cares.” Junhui stared at him. “My parents left me when I was young to fend for myself because they couldn't keep me. I was an expensive thing that they couldn't maintain. So my uncle decided to take me in. But after his death I realized he was the only person who truly cared for me. Now I have friends, but it was hard.” Junhui stopped walking to just stare at Mingyu.

“You are Hyunwoo’s friend right?” Junhui asked. Mingyu gave him a look.

“I don't know who that is.” Mingyu stated as he tried to act perfectly normal. Junhui frowned. “Why?”

“I'm just worried. Minhyuk always picks the best people, and if you're not him then I'm worried that I will hurt him by not picking his choice.” Junhui said solemnly.

“If he's as caring as everyone says, he will only make a scene if you are not happy.” Junhui glanced at Mingyu skeptically.

“I…” Junhui heard a scream from the entrance to the garden and noticed his mother’s personal servant yelling for him. “Let's go.” Mingyu watched Junhui take a step away and followed behind him thinking of what was going through the others head. 

“Young Prince,” the servant bowed as he walked up to the woman. “Her majesty has asked for you to get ready to meet the options for the coronation. Who is this?” The servant asked as she glanced at the man behind Junhui.

“He is one of the options I guess.” Junhui looked back at Mingyu who bowed to him. Junhui sighed as Mingyu reverted to what everyone goes back to, being polite because he is royalty. 

“Minhyuk’s choice?” The servant asked skeptically as Junhui shook his head and walked into the castle. The servant got the message. “So you will be heading up to your room to do the preparations, young prince.” The servant stated as they started to walk down the hall. Mingyu was stilling standing by the door to the garden. Junhui looked back for a second before stopping.

“Mingyu is coming with me. We were having a conversation before you interrupted.” Junhui said agitated. Mingyu smiled sweetly at him as he walked up to them.

“No it's ok Prince Junhui. I'll be going to where the others are.” Mingyu bowed to the prince giving Junhui a strange feeling. Junhui let the servant guide him away. 

Mingyu sighed as he walked into the main hall and saw Hyunwoo walking down the staircase. 

“Hey Hyunwoo.” Mingyu said as he walked up to his friend. Hyunwoo smiled.

“Minhyuk and I saw you two in the garden. Minhyuk was wondering if it went well.” Hyunwoo said as he walked side by side with Mingyu.

“He was strangely everything I didn't think the youngest prince was. He was always said to be this invisible, quiet, and reserved boy who was spoiled and was treated with a silver spoon and that's why he refuses to go outside the castle.” Mingyu stated as he watched the other options for the prince walking around. “Who are these people?” Hyunwoo sighed.

“They're pretty much royalty from other nations. There's Prince Jeonghan, Prince Jisoo, Duke Hansol. There's a lot of people here that won't impress Junhui. That boy hates almost everyone but his family.” Hyunwoo sighed. Just then all the men in the room turned to look at the entrance and all stood as the three princes and their parents entered the room. All of them made up in their royal Attire, makeup and hair completely done and all had relaxed facial expressions.

“Welcome everyone, it is nice to see that all of you are interested in our youngest son.” The King stated as he held himself with pride as he sat on the throne placed against the wall with another right next to it for his wife and four more in front of them for their sons. 

“Please Junhui stand up.” The queen said as Junhui stood up with a mixture d fear and forced bravery flashing in his eyes. “This is our precious son Junhui. Most of you have never even seen Junhui so it is a pleasure to know you all have taken a long journey to come see us.” The Queen smiled. Minhyuk and Taehyung were watching Junhui carefully as he stood there.

“Hello, thank you for coming.” Junhui said softly but loud and proud like a true prince should do. He sat back down as his father started to speak again. Minhyuk’s eyes found Hyunwoo quickly and then he saw Mingyu. Minhyuk’s small smile spread to a wide grin as he glanced at Junhui. Junhui was looking for Mingyu, but couldn't seem to have found him yet. 

“We will first start off by narrowing it down to 5 of you so our son is not too overwhelmed.” The king stared at Junhui. “Choice 5, Junhui.” His father stated. The youngest son sighed inwardly as he stared at the whole group. Minhyuk noticed the small frown on his brother's face and tapped his hand softly. Junhui looked at him.

“His over there…” Minhyuk whispered as he slightly pointed to Mingyu who was right next to Hyunwoo. Junhui glanced at Mingyu than at Minhyuk again.

“I thought he wasn't the one you brought for me?” Minhyuk smiled.

“He's not, but I saw you two in the garden.” Minhyuk’s soft smile was kind and comforting. Junhui nodded.

“Junhui stand up and choose.” His mother ordered making Junhui stand and take a step down to where all the servants were and whispered into their ears. The servants walked off and found the selected men who were chosen by the prince. Mingyu was grabbed by the same servant who had interrupted his conversation with the prince.

“Everyone else may leave. Thank you for your time.” The king said as he stood. “You five have been chosen. And will stay in the castle until Junhui decides which of you is who he wants to marry. Do take care of my lovely son.” The king patted Junhui’s shoulder as he walked out of the room with servants following along with the queen. Hyunwoo had Minhyuk walking to him and hugging him softly. The other four men in the room who didn't know the princes stared at him in shock. Mingyu smiled at the lovely scene of his best friend and his boyfriend.

“Minnie we attract too much attention.” Hyunwoo laughed as he stared at the other men in the room. Three of the four men were looking at them or around the room, while Mingyu and another man stared at Junhui. One was in curiosity and the other was predatory. Minhyuk didn't like it.

“I don't like that one.” Minhyuk said quietly to Hyunwoo who looked over at the man. 

“Hmm, I agree.” Hyunwoo said as he held Minhyuk closely with his arms wrapped around the prince’s waist with his chin resting on the smaller boy’s head. “Seems like Junhui thought he was decent looking though.” Minhyuk’s frown was noticeable now. The servants were concerned.

“Prince Minhyuk, shall we get you anything?” The head servant asked the prince while Hyunwoo smiled.

“He's just checking out the options that Junhui chose.” Hyunwoo stated. The servant nodded and turned around to see Taehyung was just staring at the options with a glaring tint in his eyes. “Prince Taehyung seems upset.” The servant stated as Minhyuk and Hyunwoo glanced back at the twin of Junhui. 

Junhui was just standing where he had been as he watched everyone interact. He was met with one of the options he had chosen walking up to him and bowing. 

“Hello Young Prince, it is of great pleasure to have been chosen by you.” The man smiled slyly as he kissed Junhui’s hand softly. The youngest prince stared at him with a disgusted glint to his eyes as he knew not to show too much of his emotions. 

“Nice to meet you, sir.” Junhui spoke stiffly. He hasn't been forced to speak to the people of their country, nor have to interact with those outside the castle. This situation was completely out of his comfort zone. 

“Oh please, call me Yifan.” The man smirked as he stared down Junhui. He was nothing special, but he was good looking. Junhui literally only chose Yifan for the fact he needed a fifth person. 

“Nice to meet you Yifan…” the prince smiled awkwardly. “Please excuse me.” Junhui walked away towards Taehyung and sat down in his designated spot.

“I don't like this.” Taehyung mumbled. “Not one bit.” He looked at all the men in the room skeptically. Junhui sighed.

“I do know which one is probably going to be the person I will choose.” Junhui said catching Taehyung’s attention. “It's that one.” Junhui motioned towards where Mingyu had sat down in one of the chairs by the table with food.

“He seems interesting.” Taehyung stated. “What's his name?” Junhui shrugged.

“Mingyu.” Junhui said. Taehyung looked at Mingyu.

“He's the one Hyunwoo brought, I think.” Taehyung stated, Junhui frowned.

“That's what I thought but Minhyuk said it wasn't and Mingyu said he didn't know who Hyunwoo was. But they could be lying.” Junhui said quietly.

“Why would they lie?” Taehyung asked as he turned to face Junhui, he folded his legs under himself and propped up His arms on his elbows and placed his face into his palms.

“Maybe they don't want me to know…” Junhui said thoughtfully as he turned to face his brother, he sat with his legs crossed underneath him. “Minhyuk always joked about how indecisive I am, maybe he was worried I'd hurt Mingyu if I made him think I liked his and then changed my mind?” Taehyung nodded slowly. 

“I guess that would be a reasonable reason why. But why lie when you figured it out already?” Junhui smiled.

“Because they want it to play out according to their plan. And me figuring it out wasn't part of it.” Junhui stated. Taehyung smiled widely. 

“Aha! I understand now!” Taehyung said loudly gaining attention from the servants keeping the other men in the room away from them, Taehyung’s orders.

“Shh!” Junhui giggled. Taehyung was smiling his wide box smile as he watched Junhui laugh. 

“You two,” Minhyuk barked at them as he stood in front of them. “Need to socialize, Junhui start talking to these guys.” Minhyuk patted Junhui’s head softly. Junhui got up and walked away. Taehyung just stared at Minhyuk. “What?” Minhyuk asked softly.

“Is that Mingyu guy the one you had Hyunwoo bring?” Taehyung asked. Minhyuk looked at him. “So he is…” Taehyung said seriously.

“Yes, but don't let Junhui know. He needs to like whoever he actually likes and not just who he thinks we’ll like.” Minhyuk stated. Taehyung nodded as his older brother walked away. 

“Minhyuk should really just become the crowned prince and take the king spot.” Taehyung hummed. “It's stupid, Junhui shouldn't be going through with this…” Taehyung glanced at the servants in front of him and noticed his personal butler had just recently gotten back to his side. “Namjoon?” Taehyung said quietly as he stared at the butler.

“Yes Taehyung.” Namjoon said in a formal way but with a casual smile on his face.

“I don't want Junhui to go through with this. We need to find Heechul before all the coronation.” Taehyung ordered. Namjoon looked at him skeptically but nodded his head while clasping his hands behind his back.

“As you wish, prince Taehyung.” Namjoon said with a slight quiver to his voice but that went unnoticed by the prince, who beamed at the statement.