Chapter 5

Whispers of the heart

It had been three weeks since Kyuhyun and Sooyoung had started 'dating'. It had taken a total of three days before Sooyoung started sitting with them at lunch, and only a furhter two days before they were caught kissing in the corridor after Sooyoung had grabbed Kyuhyun by her school tie. They were found against the lockers by a very loud Heechul. One more day before Sooyoung had asked if she could call Kyuhyun her girlfriend. Kyuhyun wasn’t going to lie, she was enjoying all the attention Sooyoung paid her, but at the same time she wasn’t completely happy. Every minute spent with Sooyoung detracted from her time with Zhou Mi, time that was limited mostly to messenger and phone calls, though they were still fun.

A lot had happened in two weeks. Henry had finally stopped being a baby and had asked Ryeowook out, and it turned out they were even more sickening when they became ‘official’. Yesung had been asked out on a date with Kibum, which when Heechul had told them in school had made everyone at the table burst into fits of uncontrollable laughter, partly because Yesung might finally be out of the closet but mostly at the disgusted look on Heechul's face.

***

It was Saturday and Kyuhyun was working. It was really hot and Siwon had broken the fan trying to make it work on a higher, nonexistent setting. She had draped herself over the counter, having sent Siwon to go buy them a new fan before God punished him for killing an innocent girl. Or before she punished Siwon for being an absolute idiot.

She was almost asleep when someone flicked her forehead, she shot up, fist clenched and ready to punch Siwon only to be faced with Zhou Mi’s enormous grin.

“Hey stranger!”

Kyuhyun ran around the counter to give Zhou Mi a hug, which lasted just a little too long.

“What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun hugged her again before leaning back against the counter, it really was too warm, which had resulted in Zhou Mi wearing a dress - a dress with tiny straps that showed off all her shoulders and her collarbones and Kyuhyun was trying very hard not to look at her cleavage. Zhou Mi’s long hair was clipped up out of the way, random strands dangling around her neck in random curls. Kyuhyun thought she looked perfect. 

“I would say I was buying a CD, but we both know my music taste . Just thought we could have a catch up, and don’t lie and say you're working!”

Kyuhyun smiled. Before Zhou Mi had got too busy with university work, she had spent a lot of Saturdays sat at the counter keeping Kyuhyun company. Kyuhyun pulled out the stool from the store room and set it out for Zhou Mi.

“How have you been, Mi? We’ve hardly had time to talk recently,” she hesitated “I’ve missed you.”

Zhou Mi smiled that smile, the one that made Kyuhyun's stomach flip; it wasn’t the mega-watt smile, it was a soft, modest smile that meant she was genuinely happy.

“I’ve missed you too, what have you been up to?”

Kyuhyun went back round the counter, leaning over it, back into her previous position.

“School mostly, and then…”

“Sooyoung?”

Kyuhyun nodded. Why was it so weird talking about her ‘girlfriend’ with her best friend? She should be able to talk about it but she couldn’t. Kyuhyun straightened up to see Zhou Mi staring at her lap, a sad sort of look in her eyes.

“Mi, you ok?”

Zhou Mi looked up, her eyes a little watery, and was about to answer when the bell on the door signalled a new customer. Zhou Mi turned round and Kyuhyun leaned to see around her. Sooyoung was wandering through the racks of CDs heading for the counter. Zhou Mi had turned back round, obviously she wouldn’t know who it was - she had no idea what Sooyoung looked like.

Before Kyuhyun could tell her, Sooyoung was at the counter, leaning over to kiss Kyuhyun. Her limbs seemed longer than normal, the hot weather causing her to wear the tiniest shorts known to man. Kyuhyun walked round the counter; might aswell introduce them properly.

“Sooyoung, this is Zhou Mi. Zhou Mi, Sooyoung.”

She made some very awkward hand gestures between them. Sooyoung was all smiles offering her hand out to Zhou Mi, who seemed somewhat reluctant to take it. Kyuhyun noticed her taking in all of Sooyoung, from her dusty sneakers, never ending legs, miniature shorts and ridiculously perfect figure. Kyuhyun would be jealous, if she couldn’t see the skeptical look Zhou Mi was doing this with. 

Zhou Mi stood up from the stool, straightening her dress.

“I should get going. It was nice to meet you. Speak to you soon, Kyuhyun.”

She walked out of the store before Kyuhyun could even say goodbye as Sooyoung took her place in the now-empty stool. Kyuhyun felt a little sad; she was finally going to spend some time with Zhou Mi for the first time in a while, and Kyuhyun wanted to know what had upset her. She should have been happy to see Sooyoung, but she couldn’t help staring at the door instead of her, hoping for Zhou Mi to walk back in.

After fifteen minutes of talking nonsense Siwon finally came back with a working fan, carrying it on his shoulder with one arm, trying to show off how strong he was. He got a smack round the head for winking at Sooyoung. Kyuhyun wondered how Sungmin could like someone so greasy.

“Kyu, I should go,” Sooyoung was looking at her watch, like she wanted time to go backwards, “are you busy after work?”

“Don’t think so, you want to do something?”

“Yeah, you want to come over to my place? I could meet you when you finish and we can get the bus together.”

Kyuhyun thought about this for a second. She had ended up at Sooyoung's one evening after school and had pretty much had Sooyoung attached to her for the entire time before she had to leave. Was she in the mood for an endless make-out session? Not really, but she couldn’t really say no to Sooyoung who was looking at her with big wide eyes and being painfully cute.

“Sure, I finish in two hours”

Sooyoung smiled again, leaning over to kiss Kyuhyun on the cheek.

“I have to go to meet Sunny for a while, see you in two hours!”

It was half an hour later, when Kyuhyun was asleep on the counter, that Sungmin and Eeteuk had walked into the store together. Kyuhyun thought maybe the world was coming to an end.

“What are you two doing here… together?

“We sort of settled our differences, is Siwon working?”

Kyuhyun pointed to the Classical section where Siwon was arguing with a box of CDs. Sungmin was gone in a matter of seconds, giggling at Siwon's side. Kyuhyun thought it was quite embarrassing. 

“Where’s Kangin?”

“Busy with Taeyeon.”

“And she would be?”

“ A girl from his school who he has to do a project with.”

“Mhmm, a little jealous are we?”

“No. Maybe. A little. Kyuhyun, she’s really pretty.”

Kyuhyun laughed and gave Eeteuk a hug, it was obvious to everyone else that Kangin only had eyes for Eeteuk, but Kyuhyun guessed it was natural for Eeteuk to feel jealous over something like this.

***

Sooyoung was outside the store when Kyuhyun left, sat on the windowsill with her knees up and reading a book. She looked beautiful, so why couldn’t Kyuhyun stop thinking about Zhou Mi? This beautiful, interesting, clever, funny girl wanted to be with Kyuhyun, and Zhou Mi clearly didn’t. Kyuhyun was an idiot.

She coughed and Sooyoung looked up at her, smiling.

“Hey! You finished?”

“Yeah, you been here long?”

“Nope!”

Sooyoung bounced up, wiping imaginary dirt of her shorts and putting her bag over her shoulder.

“Ready to go?”

She took Kyuhyun's hand instantly, pulling her along to the bus stop. They sat together on the bus, close, hands still together, whispering about random things that came to mind.

Twenty minutes after arriving at Sooyoung's house and Kyuhyun found herself on Sooyoung's bed, pinned down with Sooyoung kissing her quite forcefully - a kiss that had started out innocent but was heating up faster than Kyuhyun's brain could comprehend. Sooyoung's hands had wandered, one tangled in Kyuhyun's hair and the other under her t-shirt, resting on the skin of her waist. Her own hands had taken a mind of their own, resting on Sooyoung's hips, pulling the other girl closer to herself.

Sooyoung sat up on Kyuhyun's lap, pulling her shirt over her head to reveal her bright blue bra. Kyuhyun's mouth went dry as she took in the sight before her of Sooyoung in nothing but her underwear and tiny shorts, hair falling round her shoulders and a wild look in her eyes. She pulled Kyuhyun's shirt off aswell before kissing her again, moving her across Kyuhyun's cheek to her neck, her collarbone and Kyuhyun's brain tried to keep up.

Was it what she wanted? Yes. But was it who she wanted? No. Ever since she had come into the store earlier all Kyuhyun could think about was Zhou Mi. She knew this wasn’t right, that it wasn’t going to make things better but Sooyoung was making it so damn hard to concentrate on what was ‘right’ when was on Kyuhyun's hip bone like that.