Phase Four: Monitor and Control

Perfect's for the Urgent (Baby I Want Forever)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

edited/slightly changed (and hopefully improved) as of 8/29/2018

unbetaed, so please excuse any mistakes. ♡

 

 

 

It had been a couple weeks since Baekhyun started working at the coffee shop and approximately three days since the Kyungsoo and Chanyeol’s date. Things had gone well apparently, considering had been Kyungsoo texting the other almost every night since then. He was a bit reluctant to tell Baekhyun how it went, knowing his best friend would say “I told you so” (and he did).

Baekhyun figured Kyungsoo never needed to know that he and Sehun followed them that night. “So are you guys like dating now?” Baekhyun giggled into the phone as he took a bite of his bagel. “Is he your boyfriend?” He heard a frustrated groan from the other.

“You’re seriously annoying you know that?”

“You’re only saying that cause you know I was right the entire time. Admit it, I’m a romantic genius!” Kyungsoo could practically hear the other’s smirk through the phone. “Whatever,” he scoffed, “Fine I admit your little hobby isn’t completely useless.”

“Hobby?! It’s my profession and I’m very good at my job as you can tell.” Baekhyun’s phone suddenly went off, his alarm signalling for him that his lunch break was over. He said goodbye to the other and quickly cleaned up the table he was sitting at before getting back behind the counter to take over for the other cashier. Working at the shop was pretty fun, Baekhyun thought. The owner was nice to him, he got free pastries and coffee, and the customers were always friendly, which meant pretty good tips for him.

He knew most of the customers that came in, since the shop was near his university most of the regulars were students he saw around campus or people from the neighborhood. This day, however, a new face had walked through the doors. Baekhyun examined the young man as he entered, he had never seen him around before. He looked like he had a good few inches over him, full lips, sharp jawline, dyed blonde hair, and he looked around Baekhyun’s age. He’s pretty good looking, Baekhyun thought.

“Hi, Welcome to Deja Brew, what can I get you today?”

The stranger chuckled, Baekhyun could feel his heart fluttering in his chest as the other softly smiled. “That’s a clever name.”

“Y-Yeah the owner’s husband is a huge fan of clever word play,” Baekhyun lightly laughed. Why was he feeling so nervous all of a sudden?

“So what’s good here?”

“Well what do you like?”

“Hmm,” the stranger scrunched up his nose while looking at the menu, “Well I don’t like coffee.”

Baekhyun laughed, “You do realize this is a coffee shop right?”

The boy sheepishly chuckled as he scratched the back of his head. Baekhyun internally squealed, this boy was seriously just too cute for his own good. “Well if you don’t like coffee, I recommend our hot chocolate. It’s probably the best in town.”

“Alright but if it’s not the best then you owe me.” The playful smirk on the other’s face had Baekhyun almost throwing himself to the ground. Was this boy even aware of what he was doing to him?

“Okay, can I have a name for the order?”

“Jongin.”

No more words were spoken as they waited for the drink. Baekhyun was the first to break the silence, he wanted to know about this stranger. “I’ve uhm never seen you around before,” Baekhyun said, “I usually know all the folks that come in here but I don’t think I’ve seen you before?”

“Ah yeah I’m not from here, just in town to visit a friend. He goes to a university near-”

“Yah Kim Jongin, I told you to wait for me before ordering.”

Baekhyun knew that voice, his jaw nearly dropped as he looked behind Jongin to see if his intuitions were right.

“Yah Oh Sehun, is that anyway to talk to your dear friend?" Jongin teased. "I knew you were gonna make me pay for your drink and still owe me twenty dollars remember?”

Baekhyun felt a small headache coming on. It really was a small world, wasn’t it?

Sehun looked a bit a surprised when he saw his fake boyfriend standing behind the cash register. “Oh hey Baek, I forgot you worked here.”

“You guys know each other?”

“We go to the same school,” Baekhyun said. He tried to ignore the small fluttery feeling in his chest when Jongin smiled him. He really hoped Jongin wasn’t as much of a as Sehun.

“Can I get the same thing as him?” Sehun asked with a small wink. Baekhyun nodded, resisted his eye roll, not wanting to look like an in front of Jongin. He really had luck didn’t he?

 

 

Perhaps the reason why everyone doubted his cupid skills despite his many successful match-ups, Baekhyun thought, was that he himself had never been in a relationship before in his nineteen years of living. Not that there was anything wrong with him. He thought he was quite the catch, if he didn’t say so himself. Jongdae had told him once that maybe it was because he was too loud and obnoxious.

What did  Jongdae know anyway? He never would’ve found his girlfriend if it weren’t for Baekhyun. And it wasn’t that he never tried to go on dates.

Baekhyun had been asked out a few times before, but none of the guys that liked him ever really interested him, at least not enough to go on a second date with. Once in awhile he thought that maybe he was just too picky. There had only been two guys he had crushes on in his entire life.

One of them was a boy in the sixth grade that was most definitely straight.

Baekhyun had figured that out after he tried to hold his hand one day while they were walking home after school and the boy roughly yanked his arm away while giving Baekhyun a confused and strange look. Lets just say the two never really talked to each other again after that awkward incident.

The other one was Kris.

It wasn’t love at first sight or anything like that. He, Kris, and Kyungsoo went to middle school together and it wasn’t until high school, when puberty hit the eldest like a truck, did Baekhyun realize he had feelings for the other. Baekhyun always had a soft spot for him before he realized his feelings. Kyungsoo often pointed it out, irritated that his supposedly best friend always took the elder’s side. Baekhyun never realized why that was so, they were young and dumb.

Who could blame him?

As the years went on it was obvious to anyone, except for Kris, that Baekhyun was enamored of him. That being said, it didn’t come as a shock when Baekhyun was utterly heartbroken when he found out about Kris’s crush on the student council president.

Not that he could blame Kris. Junmyeon was very nice and cute and Baekhyun had thrown himself in the friendzone years ago. Kyungsoo had the duty of piecing back together fragments of Baekhyun’s heart during long nights of tears and lots of junk food. It took about six months for Baekhyun to completely get over the elder.

Things went back to normal eventually, Baekhyun was forever grateful that Kris was an oblivious idiot.

Baekhyun hadn’t had a serious crush since then. Kyungsoo told him it was probably because he was afraid to get hurt again, but he thought that sounded dramatic. He wasn’t afraid of anything. He just hadn’t found the right guy yet.

 

It wasn’t his fault there were no decent guys at their school.

 

 

Chanyeol’s hands were big and warm, Kyungsoo decided he quite liked the feeling of them interlocked with his own. Not that he would say that out loud. The two of them had been hanging out at least twice a week for the past couple of weeks. Sometimes at the mall, sometimes in the music room, but usually in Chanyeol’s room since Sehun was almost a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter