Brown

Paint Me A Rainbow

Jinyoung walked home with dragged feet, feeling so tired. He felt so tired and upset. He got off of work really late thanks to this annoying customer. It wasn’t even his fault. It was the customer that suddenly stood up and bumped into him, making the tray he held fell and the food on it scattered on the floor. Of course he apologized, customers are kings after all. But the customer still yelled at him because of a small stain the food left on his shirt, made a fuss and even complained to his manager for his incompetence, resulting in an hour long afterwork scolding and a cut from his pay. He couldn’t even talk back and defend himself for fear of losing his job. He liked his job and the people at his workplace (except the manager of course) so much, so he didn’t want to lose them just because of such a petty thing. Yet by the time he arrived at his apartment, he already killed that customer and the manager hundreds times in his head.

Jaebum must’ve already asleep, it’s so late already, he thought sadly. He wanted to complain and snuggle into his lover’s arms, letting him soothed away all his frustration, but it would be selfish to wake him up just for that. He sighed as he opened the door. He tried to make as little noise as possible so he wouldn’t wake Jaebum up. However, he could barely held back his gasp as he was greeted by an unexpected sight at the living room.

He was right that Jaebum was already asleep, but him sleeping on the couch with his mouth slightly gaped and an opened picture book on his chest wasn’t what he had expected. The corners of his lips were lifted up by themselves before he realized it, all his bitterness vapored into thin air at the adorable sight. He pulled the book from underneath the sleeping man’s arm as gentle as he could and put it on the table. After that, he took a blanket from Jaebum’s room and covered Jaebum with it. He brushed the other’s hair lightly and kissed his forehead. Before he was able to get up and leave though, a hand pulled him and he fell on top of Jaebum, trapped inside the other’s arms.

“I thought you were sleeping,” he said, accusing.

“I was, until you oh-so-passionately attack an unconscious person in his vulnerable state.”

Jinyoung hit Jaebum’s chest and the latter laughed sleepily. They fell into a comfortable silence after that, Jaebum his hair and him basking in his touch.

“Why did you come back so late?” Jaebum asked after a while.

“Just a bad luck, I guess.”

“Wanna tell me about it?”

“Maybe later,” he said, “I’m just a little bit upset, but I’m fine.”

“Okay then.”

Jinyoung lifted his head to look at Jaebum. “Did you wait for me?”

“I did, until I fell asleep since you took so long.”

“Why a picture book though? Are you a kid?”

Jaebum bursted up in laughter. He took the book from the table and they shifted so Jinyoung’s head was laying on Jaebum’s arm. Only then he read the title of the book, ‘A House in the Woods’.

“I first read this book when I was five, and it becomes my favorite book ever since.”

Jinyoung furrowed his eyebrows, confused. “It’s all in English though? How could you read English at the age of five?”

“I couldn’t, but I loved the illustration so much that I looked at it over and over again. I think it started my interest in art, the thought of wanting to draw like that. That’s why this book is so precious to me.”

Jinyoung examined the book. There were two pigs and a bear inside the fence of a big, wooden house, also six beavers and a moose walking toward them.

“What is it about?” he asked, curious. Jaebum smiled and summarized the story for him.

“There were two pigs that lived next to each other. Suddenly, one day a bear and a moose moved in and destroyed their houses because of their big builds. They then decided to build a house for the four of them together with help of the beavers. That’s basically it.”

Jinyoung turned to look at the other and smirked. “Why does the bear and the moose sounds so awfully like you? You suddenly barged into my house and turned my world upside down.”

Jaebum laughed. “You might be right. But like in the book, you also come to love the unexpected company and I am indeed become your personal teddy bear since you hugged me every night as you sleep.”

“Well,” Jinyoung tightened the arms he put around Jaebum and smiled, “that’s true.”

“Does it mean you admit that you’re a pig? You also eat so much.”

Jinyoung slapped his chest. “I’m not a pig! And it’s your fault that I eat so much. I’ve gained so much weight since you came here!”

Jaebum laughed over and over again while he started to become concerned. “Do you think I’ve became really fat now? Maybe I need to start dieting tomorrow.”

Jaebum kissed the top of his head and smiled softly. “Why? You’re fine though, you’re not fat at all. And even though later you lean toward the chubby side, it’s alright. Chubby wife is a sign to a happy marriage, isn’t it?”

Jinyoung pouted. “Who do you call your wife? We’re not even married. I pity the person who would be married to you!”

Jaebum’s chest shook with laughter. He cupped his cheeks, squeezing them together and kissed the protruded lips.

“Aigoo, what should I do to this cutie pig?”

“Read me.”

Seemed like his respond surprised Jaebum so much that he stared at him with a gaped mouth. “Huh?”

“Well, I read for you so many books, you can at least read me this book later before we sleep.”

Jaebum stared at him for a little more while before his laugh exploded. “You just called me a kid and now you want a bedtime story?”

Jinyoung smiled. “Well, it’s good once in a while.”

Jaebum ruffled his hair fondly. “I thought you said you’re upset about something.”

“Did I? I don’t remember.”

Jaebum smiled. “It’s good, then”

 

--

 

It had been a long time since Jinyoung last strolled around Hongdae, between all the performing artists of the night. The street was more crowded than usual since it was Saturday, and it was Valentine’s Day. He had other reason for walking alone through the waves of couples though. Of course, it was because of Jaebum, who started performing again that night after a long hiatus. He had been excited about it for a while, and kept reminding Jinyoung every three hours to not forget to come and watch him. Like Jinyoung would actually forgot such an important night.

His ears finally caught Jaebum’s voice, quietly mixed with the noise other performers created. But it got louder and louder as he closed in, until he finally saw him, on the stage where he was the brightest star. He wanted to get closer and watched from the front line, but he didn’t want to disturb other audiences. Jaebum was in the middle of a song, so beautiful in the fluidity of his moves, graceful to the tip of his fingers. His heart swelled at the sight he hadn’t seen for a long time, and Jaebum looked so classy and strikingly handsome tonight as he traded his baggy clothes with dark turtleneck, blazer, and slacks. He was torn between how amazing his boyfriend was and how he wished the man wore more layers in this cold winter night. Then again, maybe dancing kept him warm.

Jaebum didn’t notice him until the song finished. The moment he saw him, a wide smile spread across his face, which Jinyoung replied back just as wide. He turned to look at Ayeon, and the girl nodded at him, leaving Jinyoung wondering. Then Jaebum turned to talk to the crowd again.

“We’re going to move to the next song, but before that, between you all, there’s a person so special for me, someone I love above everything else. I hope that person would listen to this song well, because I want to tell him…”

 

Can't say how the days will unfold
Can't change what the future may hold
But I want you in it
Every hour
Every minute

This world can race by far too fast
Hard to see while it's all flying past
But it's clear now
When you're standing here now
I am meant to be
Wherever you are next to me

All I wanna do
Is come runnin' home to you
Come runnin' home to you
And all my life I promise to
Keep runnin' home to you
Keep runnin' home to you

And I could see it right from the start
Right from the start
That you would be, be my light in the dark
Light in the dark
Oh, you gave me no other choice but to love you

All I wanna do
Is come runnin' home to you
Come runnin' home to you
And all my life I promise to
Keep runnin' home to you
Keep runnin' home, home to you

Can't say how the days will unfold
Can't change what the future may hold
But I want you in it
Every hour, every minute

 

When the last verse started, Jaebum stopped dancing. Instead, he walked toward the audience while still singing, and kept going as the crowd split to give way for him until he stood in front of Jinyoung. Jinyoung could only stare dazedly as the man knelt down and took out a leather box, revealing a wooden ring inside. Jaebum held his gaze as he talked.

“Park Jinyoung, in the future we can’t see yet, when I’ve become more of a person and someone you can depend on, where the light split the dark and the moon and the sun become our witness, will you marry me? Will you build a home where we can live together, with me? Will you become my home?”

Jaebum’s face started to blur from the tears welling up in his eyes. It trickled down his contracted cheeks as they pulled up the tips of his mouth. No words could describe the happiness he felt at the moment. So instead of thinking about it, he answered the hanging question.

“Of course I will. Do you really need to ask?”

Jaebum grinned as he took the ring from the box and put it on Jinyoung’s ring finger. “Well, all artists are romanticist, you know. At least I am after I met you.”

He stood up, still holding Jinyoung’s hand. He brought it to his lips, kissed it, and said, “Thank you, Jinyoung. I promise you won’t regret it.”

Jinyoung smiled. “You better,” he said. Then he was pulled into Jaebum’s arms and their lips found each other like two piece of puzzles that fit together. They were interrupted by the loud cheer from the crowd. Before that, he totally forgot that they were outside and there were many people watching them. It had felt like there were only two of them in the world. Usually, he would’ve felt so embarrassed he wanted to die, but as he saw Jaebum’s smirking face, he couldn’t care less. He brought their face closer and they kissed again, letting the noise surrounding them faded into the background.

“So, where’s our beavers?” he asked when they could talk again. Jaebum laughed.

“Do we need them? Aren’t just the two of us enough?”

Jinyoung smiled. “It’s enough. Just you and me is enough.”

 

--

 

Jinyoung woke up to find himself alone in the bed. Before he could even wonder where Jaebum was, the chopping sound from behind the door already made him smile. Instead, he started wondering what the breakfast was going to be, filling his mouth with saliva. When he raised his hand to cover his yawn, something that circled around his usually bare finger caught his eyes, and he couldn’t stop himself from grinning.

Right, the ring.

No matter how many times he look at it, he was always getting awed by it and feeling touched. It was only a simple, medium dark wooden ring, with lighter color on the thin line in the middle and the inner side. It might not be as expensive as a gold or silver ring with any stone planted on it, but he would choose this ring anytime. What made it so special was the fact that Jaebum made it himself, with a little help of his friend. Despite being a handmade, it was so finely crafted. The surface was smooth and it was thin, so it was comfortable to wear. It was even waterproof. He also carved their initials inside, ‘JJ’. Guess that was the perk of dating an art student, they got really creative with their gifts.

Jinyoung sat up, only to groan as the soreness he felt. He looked at his reflection on the mirror across the bed, and what he saw made him blushed. Traces of how Jaebum sweetly melt his body down to break him apart and put him together only to wreck him up again and again all night long were scattered all over his skin. As if it wasn’t enough, when he tried to stand up, his legs felt like jelly and couldn’t held his weight. Jaebum’s worried face jutted out from the door frame, and he rushed in when he saw Jinyoung sitting on the floor, panicking.

“What happened?” Jaebum asked as he crouched in front of Jinyoung. Jinyoung didn’t give any answer, but it seemed his burning cheeks was already one as Jaebum smirked playfully.

“Aw, has our Jinyoung’s legs gone weak?”

Jinyoung hit him. “It’s your fault! You did it too much!”

“Is that so? You seemed to really like it though. You were so loud last night I’m afraid you’d wake up the neighbors.”

“Shut up!” He hit him again, and Jaebum laughed.

“Alright, alright. Let’s get you off of the cold floor.”

Jaebum put Jinyoung’s arms around his neck and helped him sat on the bed again, putting a pillow on the headboard for him to leaned back on. He patted Jinyoung’s head and said, “Rest a little bit more until the breakfast is ready, okay?”

Jinyoung nodded, and Jaebum gave him a smile. When Jaebum was about to leave, he tugged on his hand, preventing him from going. Jaebum stared at him, confused, as he was pulled to sit beside him, on the edge of the bed.

“There’s something I want to give for you,” he said, “I was supposed to give it yesterday, but I forgot since I was too overwhelmed last night I got distracted.”

“What is it?”

He bent down trying to reach his bag that was placed on the floor not far from the bed. However, Jaebum preceded him and got the bag for him instead. He accepted the bag and rummaged through the content until he found what he was searching for. He took out a glass jar filled with chocolate truffles, a ribbon was tied around its neck. He gave it to Jaebum, smiling shyly.

“It’s a Valentine’s gift,” he said.

“Whoa, did you make this?” Jaebum stared at the jar with in wonder.

“Yeah. Don’t worry, I’ve practiced multiple times and my guinea pigs said it tastes good.”

“Guinea pigs?”

“Jackson and Wonpil.”

Jaebum laughed. “Are you sure they didn’t say that just to make you stop?”

“If you don’t want to eat it then give it back,” Jinyoung said, sulking.

“Hey, you can’t take back what you’ve gave away,” Jaebum replied, opening the lid and put one of the truffles in his mouth. Jinyoung watched him, full of expectation. But it fell when Jaebum frowned.

“Why? Is it weird?”

Jaebum nodded and took another one. “Taste it yourself.”

Jinyoung opened his mouth, waiting. However, what went into his mouth wasn’t the truffle between Jaebum’s fingers, but the one inside the other’s mouth. Jaebum’s lips were latched with his as his tongue slid the slightly melted chocolate into his mouth, brushing Jinyoung’s tongue as if teasing him. He pulled away with a smirk, putting the truffle he was holding into his own mouth.

“It’s weird because it’s your cooking, and it tastes wonderful. So weird, isn’t it?”

Jinyoung puckered his lips as he chomped the chocolate down. “Such a roundabout way for a kiss,” he grumbled. Jaebum laughed.

“Thanks,” Jaebum said, smiling as he closed the lid. “I really like it. I’ll eat it carefully.”

“I’m glad then. And, um, there’s another thing I want to give you.”

He rummaged through his bag again and pulled out a vintage styled envelope.

“This one isn’t a Valentine’s gift. I just want to write this for you.”

Jaebum looked dazed as he received the letter. But when he was about to open it, suddenly Jinyoung glided down to the bed and covered his head with the blanket.

“What’s wrong?” Jaebum asked.

“I’m so embarrassed, I can’t look at you. Just read it.”

Other than Jaebum’s small laughter, the room was bare from any noise. Every second spent in that silence made him more and more nervous. He could hear his own breathing inside the blanket. He felt himself blushing when he remembered the cheesy things he wrote.

 

I see an angel on earth,

The feathers on his wings sways as he moves the flesh of his soul with grace.

I see an angel on earth,

The halo crowning his hair overshines every stars in this universe.

I see an angel on earth,

The sky is painted all over his face every time he smiles.

I see an angel on earth,

He says he falls in love with a flawed human.

He says he falls in love with me.

 

I walk with an angel on earth,

He dyes my heart with colors I can’t see.

I walk with an angel on earth,

He calls me his moon and looks at me like I am one.

I walk with an angel on earth,

He treats me like I am the most precious thing in the world.

I walk with an angel on earth,

He touches me with his grace, singing his tunes to the core of my heart.

He sings for me, and my entire being becomes a captive to his melody.

 

I fall for an angel on earth,

He gives the world to me when I only have my flawed self to give.

I fall for an angel on earth,

He chase after me without hesitation when I can only run and hide.

I fall for an angel on earth,

He is my most precious being in this world.

I fall for an angel on earth,

So I am very sorry, and I thank you, Im Jaebum.

 

Thank you for loving me all along.

Thank you for forgiving every mistakes I makes and never giving up on me.

Thank you for painting every colors of your rainbow in me.

Thank you for letting me love you for the rest of my life.

I love you, and always will.

 

Yours,

Jinyoung

 

Maybe it had just been minutes, but it felt so long Jinyoung started to get frustrated. Why doesn’t he say anything?, he thought. Suddenly the blanket was tugged away and he yelped when his lips got crashed into by another. Jaebum’s hands were cupping his jaw, lifting his face as he his breath away. It was only three seconds later that he remembered to breathe. When Jaebum pulled away, a smile decorated his face as his eyes were glistened by tears.

“Let’s buy a house someday.”

That was so out of the blue it left Jinyoung in a daze that he could only responded with a, “Huh?”

Jaebum laid down beside him, caressing his cheek with his thumb. “Yeah, somewhere in a rural area, some place where the air was fresh and clear. We can live near the beach, so we can go there whenever we want. I will have my own studio, and you’ll get your own study room. It doesn’t have to be big, just enough that we can bring Nora there, and maybe adopt one or two more cats for her to play with.  We’ll only need one bedroom, and we can put a double bed there. It will be a home we can live comfortably in until we’re old. What do you think?”

Jinyoung smiled. He wrapped his arms around Jaebum, snuggling closer to his lover. “Everything is good, but we can cross the double bed. I love this space and this distance, we don’t need more.”

Jaebum chuckled. “Fine with me, I love them too. Single bed it is.”

Jinyoung kissed his nose, and Jaebum kissed his chin. Jaebum kissed his jaw, and Jinyoung kissed his ear. They kissed everywhere of the others their lips could reach, like they could never get enough of each other. And then they laughed together, feeling happier than they ever had. They didn’t know what the future might bring, but Jinyoung already couldn’t imagine one without Jaebum. So he prayed then, and he would too the day after, and the day after that, everyday until they got so old he couldn’t lift his hands to pray anymore, that they would be together, forever.

________________________________

P. S.:

Yay, finally only epilogue left! I'm so happy that I finally finished this chapter. I'm so stuck that instead of writing for this fic I wrote an addition to my completed one. I'm so sorryyyyyy T_T And I'm also sorry if the poem is weird, I'm an amateur at that so please look at it kindly ^^ As always, thanks for reading this fic! How do you like this chapter? I really hope you like it. See you at the epilogue :))

The book: 'A House in the Woods' by Inga Moore
The song: 'Runnin' Home to You' by Grant Gustin