partners

Chasing Cars
It had been a month since they agreed to work with BTS, and until everything was ready for production and all the discussion were made between the administrative parts of the companies, it was top secret, so both groups continue with their separate activities, but when the time came, the companies made sure their new schedule did not collapse with the previous one.

So when Red Velvet ended their promotions for their latest comeback, their CEO immediately called them to talk about the new album.

“Everything is already talked, so the production will start next week” she said, looking at the girls with a smile. “Also, we would like that you take part in the production of these album, so we will begin by choosing the songs, if that’s okay with you...”

“YES” Wendy said, immediately, almost interrupting her CEO. She had a fist on the air, and a triumphant look on her face, and it made the other members smile. It was nothing new, how much she wanted to participate in the production of their album, and it was finally happening. “Oh dear…” she said once she went out of her trance. “I didn’t mean to interrupt you, I’m so sorry, I got too excited” she apologized with a huge bow, making the CEO smile.

“I noticed it” she said, making Wendy blush. “Also, there are going to be some mixed sub-units for the album. The plan is having three songs from the two groups together and then five songs separate. The other CEO and me decided the distribution, so please pay attention” and she turned extremely serious again. Wendy swore she could hear Joy’s heart beating incredibly fast, and Irene swallowing hard. It was all very tense.

“Joy, you’re going with Hoseok. Wendy with Jimin and Yoongi, Irene with Taehyung, Seulgi with Namjoon and Jungkook and Yeri, you’re going to be with Seokjin” the CEO said, while the girls just looked at her with disbelief.

“Could it be possible for me to switch with any other member?” Irene asked. It took her less than five seconds to made her mind, to superate her shock. She gained a curious look from the CEO. “I don’t really feel comfortable with the partner you set me up with and I would really appreciate if you could change it…” she was educated, but still tense.

“I thought you surpassed it…” the CEO sighted, defeated. “But well, it’s not really going to work out if you feel uncomfortable, so I’ll change you.” and then she proceed to look up the papers. And after some minutes of silence, she spoke again. “Alright so… since Taehyung is a vocal, I wanted to paired him up with a rapper, but now that I think about it, Wendy could be a really good match… Do you agree?” now everyone’s eyes were on Wendy.

“M-Me?” she asked, confused. She looked at everyone. It was clear that nobody wanted to be with the heartbroken ex-boyfriend, but Irene’s eyes were pleading and she just couldn’t decline. “O-Okay. I’ll… I’ll do it” she said, at the end, receiving a big hug from Irene as a thanks.

“Then it’s settled, Wendy is going to work with Taehyung and Irene with Jimin and Yoongi” the CEO gave her final words.



A week later, they were going to meet with BTS in the BigHit Entertainment Studios, to discuss and read the songs both companies had selected and for them to choose. The boys were waiting in a huge room with one single table that was as big as the room, with enough seats for the eleven idols and their CEOs.

They were chatting lively, teasing J-Hope as he got to be paired up with Joy, who they considered a very charming girl. Everyone seemed very excited, except Taehyung. It was not that he looked displeased, but thoughtful. The members would have asked him what he was thinking about, but it was obvious that it was about Irene. Taehyung was so in love with the girl that when she broke up with him, he was undone. The group was lucky it was not during a comeback or promotions, they were actually really free when it happened.

“Do you think he wants to get her back?” Jungkook asked in a whisper, even if it was not really necessary since Taehyung wasn’t putting any attention to them, but Namjoon simply denied with his head, implying that it was not good to talk about it, yet everybody already knew the answer.

The door opened and their CEO made his appearance, being followed by the SM CEO and Red Velvet. They sat down, trying to be opposite to the boys, but because Wendy was slow, and very distracted, she ended up sitting next to Taehyung, and it couldn’t be any more weird. And she knew it was just her, since the boy didn’t seem to even notice her presence.

“As you already know, you’ll be participating in this album’s production” BigHit’s CEO started the meeting, making everyone serious. “Since the songs in which every member of both groups participate are the hardest, we will begin choosing the individual ones” he said. “We have prepared five rooms for the corresponding members to talk and choose their song wisely”

“There are booklets and a computer with the melody from each song” the other CEO complemented. They were really synchronized, Wendy thought.

“So, Joy and J-Hope are going to be in the first room…” a member of the staff called the first pair, and made them stand up and leave the room. Wendy felt like she was in a survival game and they just lost, her own thought made her laugh. Once they were gone, he continued with the rest of them. “Yeri and Jin in the second room” and the process repeated itself. Yeri looked extremely nervous and Wendy gave her a lightly hand shake after she left. She understood she was nervous since the was the youngest and he was the oldest. “Seulgi, Namjoon and Jungkook to the third room…”

Wendy looked at the ones remaining, and Irene’s eyes were on her. It was like she was saying sorry for putting her on such an uncomfortable situation. Wendy smiled and nodded, trying to tell her it was all going to be okay.

“Irene, Jimin and Suga, to the fourth room please” the smile on Taehyung’s face was bittersweet, it was like he saw it coming but it still hurt. Wendy couldn’t look at him, nor Irene. She saw how the other members gave him a slightly pat on the back, and she felt terrible.

“That leaves, Wendy and V in the fifth room” the staff did not even finish his sentence before Taehyung stood up and walked towards the door. Wendy was really surprised, and just froze in her place, feeling her knees shake.

“We’re really sorry about that. He’s been really sensitive lately… But he will behave, truly” the boy’s CEO apologized to the girl, and guide her to the room where she was supposed to be with the boy in order to choose the song.

She couldn’t deny that she was scared of him, but she couldn’t say she did not understand his behavior, and she believed that what she had to do was to stand up and let him know it was not her fault everything that happened to him.

“I’m sorry” that was what she heard just as she opened the door of the room. The boy was sitting on a table, looking at her with more calming eyes than before. She felt herself going soft again. “It was a really disrespectful way of acting, I’m sorry” he apologized again.

“It’s… It’s okay” Wendy said quickly, moving her hands way too fast. “I mean, there’s really no problem” she laughed nervously as she sat down in front of him. “I’m really sorry too” she said after some moments of silence, causing the boy to look at her in confusion. “I mean… I’m sure you wanted to be with Irene and not me… and I just… Gosh, I should really shut up” she hit herself on the head for being unable to keep her mind straight.

But the boy laughed.

He laughed cause her voice was funny, cause her expressions were nice, but mostly because of how honest she was. “I mean, I can not deny that, but… it’s not your fault either so, taking it off on you was my mistake” he said again. Wendy did not answer this time, fearing that she will screw up.

“So… uhm… how should we start?” she asked, taking a look at the booklet full of lyrics. She knew the boys had helped with the production of their albums before, so she was really excited to see how it was done, and she couldn’t help but express all that eagerness on her face.

“Well, do you know anything about… composing?” he asked, forgetting about his personal issues and getting straight into business. “Writing? Do you play any instruments?”

“I’ve tried to write but… I’m not really that good” she laughed awkwardly again. “But I do know a bit about composing music. I know how to play the guitar, the saxophone and the flute” she answered. Taehyung looked surprised.

“You play the saxophone? Me too. It’s my first time meeting another idol that knows to play it” Wendy admired the way he could go from heartbroken, to serious, to being a complete baby in no time. It was really impressive. “Now I really want to see your skills” he said, more to himself.

“I haven’t play it in a long time though” she admitted.

“It’s still cool. I just asked cause I was curious thought” he said. “I think we should start by reading the lyrics with the corresponding melody…” he added, changing the subject.

And with that, they started by taking the booklet and playing the melodies. It was harder than it sounded like. Trying to see where the song was failing, was the melody? Or maybe something was off with the lyrics? It was a whole new world for her, and as time passed, she wrote on a notebook the ones she liked to then discuss with them with her partner.

Wendy’s hurt, since they have spend at least four hours now. The company had given them a little bit of food. Wendy and Taehyung finished listening to the last song melody, they felt blessed.

“I thought they would never end” Taehyung admitted, standing up to stretch his body. Wendy smiled lazily. “So… which ones do you like?” he asked, sitting again. Wendy looked at her notes.

“There’s this one called “Smooth Fighters”, I really like melody, but I’m not entirely sure about the lyrics matching it. I think the concept and beat could fit the album…” she tried to sound as professional as she could. Since at the end, the album was to attract fans and charity, that was the concept she was thinking about. “How about you?”

“I want these one” he said, showing her the lyrics. Wendy felt her heart sink. When she read that song, she was afraid of him picking it. The lyrics were amazing, and the melody was on-point, so the only correction she did to it was that it did not fit the album concept, it was too sad.

Naive Love was a song about being heartbroken, about someone that’s going through break up and it was beautiful. Even Wendy, who has never been in a serious relationship felt identified with the lyrics of the song.

“It’s really good, isn’t it?” he asked, since she decided to keep silence. “I know it’s selfish of me to ask you to do this song, but… I just…”

“You feel like you need to do it” she completed the sentence for him. “I don’t really understand you but… If it helps, I guess I can do it. I really liked the song too anyways” she laught it off, the pressure in her heart. She didn’t know why, but she sympathized with him a lot, the moment they were left alone, the moment he apologized for being rude. It was a very strange feeling, and it made her nervous and softer.

Taehyung spend some time looking at Wendy, like he was reflecting on her. “You really are nice” he smiled bitterly. “Irene always talked to me about you. She told me you always took care of other people, and that you usually bake or cook for the other members. I thought she was exaggerating, but it’s actually true.” he said, with a very sincere smile, that Wendy found herself returning.

“It’s not really like that” she laughed. “You’re also a nice guy. I’m glad to have a nice partner” she said shyly.

He smiled brightly and lifted his arm, showing his fist to her. “Let’s do our best, partner”