School Work [Jinsol x Sooyoung]

The Work Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the band first got formed, Jinsol wasn’t going to lie, but she wan’t taking it seriously at all. Of course they didn’t originally start with the view of this becoming something serious in the first place, or that was how the older blonde had seen it. They had free time after school, they wanted to try something new, they liked music, why not form a band?

This was all Jungeun’s crazy idea after the two had a sleepover. They had spent too much time over the weekend watching cliche Disney movies. Lemonade Mouth, Radio Rebel, Camp Rock 1 and 2, and all of a sudden Jungeun asked “wouldn’t it be fun if we formed a band?”

Jinsol gave her a look, one that said you’re crazy but in the end she humored her as she thought she was joking. They even came up with the number of members the band was going to have and started brainstorming for song name titles. The older blonde suggested she can play the keyboard since in choir she does it all the time and Jungeun would be the main singer and leader of the band since it was her idea after all.

That next Monday she didn’t think Jungeun was going to start hunting all over the school for three other girls that knew how to play the guitar, bass, and drums. It actually didn’t take her long to find the guitarist. Heejin was in Jungeun’s English class and they were casual friends. The two were just talking about what they had done over the weekend and Jungeun spilled the beans.

While Heejin complained about how sore dance practice had left her, Jungeun confessed she wanted to form an after school band with friends. Heejin thought that seemed like fun and asked if they would play for school events or other music related shows.

“We will if we can find enough people,” Jungeun twirled her pencil. “We still need a guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer.”

Heejin’s eyes at that moment seemed to sparkle. “I can play the guitar.”

Jungeun dropped her pencil. “You can?”

Heejin nodded enthusiastically.

“And you want to be in our band?” Jungeun still couldn’t believe it.

The girl with black hair nodded. “Sure, why not? Dance is not as fun as it used to be. The new captain is actually a little scary. She’s so serious too, she barely smiles. I don’t think any of us have even heard her laugh once.” Heejin shuddered.

Jungeun could care less about this scary new dance captain of Heejin’s, but in that moment she would remember to give her thanks if she ever met her in person. Thanks to her they just acquired their guitarist. Things were easily falling into place.

 

 

 

“You’ve got to be joking,” Jinsol raised her brows.

Jungeun had strolled in Jinsol’s art class like nothing with another girl in tow. They were lucky the teacher didn’t care and was too busy scrolling through his Facebook page while sipping on a mug of instant coffee that needed a much overdue rinse.

“Who even is this?” Jinsol shifted her attention to the stranger. She didn’t mean for it to sound so rude, so she quickly added an apology after.

Heejin understood but still didn’t reply. She just waited for Jungeun to clarify everything.

“Heejin is going to be our guitarist!” Jungeun practically yelled making the whole class hear her. The rest of the art students paid her no mind, except for the few that were dazed by so many pretty girls gathered together in one spot.

Jinsol wanted to smack her upside the head, maybe that would bring her back down to earth. “Are you really going to follow through with that crazy idea? Have you lost your mind?”

The younger blonde dropped her hands to her side and was at a loss for words. “What do you mean? You helped me plan it too!”

Jinsol rose from her seat abruptly, startling a few of the other students around her. “We came up with that on a lazy Sunday in our footie pajamas and over a bowl of Lucky Charms! How was I supposed to know you were serious?”

Heejin clearly felt a little uncomfortable in the middle of the two blondes arguing back and forth so she just stepped back and watched. Thankfully it didn’t last long. After five minutes of non-stop bickering Jinsol gave up and the band was a go. The taller girl sat back down and lowered her head on the table in defeat. A little too loudly as well, which startled everyone around her.

Jungeun just laughed reassuring everyone she was fine and she hadn’t died. Heejin simply gave Jungeun an awkward smile, meanwhile the supposed band leader was clapping in excitement like a seal again.

“Now we just need a bassist and a drummer!”

The black haired girl then had an idea. It was like a light bulb lit up above her head. “Hey actually... I think I can get you a bassist too.”

Jungeun’s eyes glimmered even more and Jinsol banged her head on the table loudly once again.

 

 

 

“Before we start practice, do you guys want to get food really quick?”

Jungeun’s question that earned a loud approval from the girls snapped Jinsol out of her daydream. She had spaced out and had reminisced how the band was formed. Those were fun times, back when she didn't have as many worries as she did now. Now almost a year later the older blonde wasn't as free.

Haseul agreed with her girlfriend and the two walked ahead, leaving their bags in practice room and their hands finding each other's immediately. Hyunjin and Vivi were right behind them talking and laughing together and Jinsol was about to follow until she got a notification on her phone. She felt the device vibrating in her jeans and she took it out to check immediately.

What was once a smile turned into a frown in seconds. Heejin then asked her a question about going to the student cafe instead of the lunch room but Jinsol didn't reply. In fact it looked like the keyboardist hadn’t even heard her. She was just looking down at her phone with her brows furrowed. The expression on her face couldn’t be read by Heejin. Worry? Confusion? Anger? Fright?

“You good?” Heejin made sure to plant a hand on her shoulder.

At the question, Jinsol looked up from her phone and forced a smile. “Yeah, all good.”

“Then let’s go.” She motioned for the door.

And that’s when Jinsol noticed all the girls were still at the door waiting for her with an expectant look. She couldn't lie to them. She had to tell them before it could affect the band even more.

“Actually...” Jinsol put her phone back in her pocket. "I think I won't be able to practice today."

Five questioning gazes were all focused on her while Jungeun voiced out her concern out loud. "Is something wrong?"

Jinsol nodded, lowering her head in shame. "I'm actually kind of doing really bad in chem. I just got a notification I’m on grade probation."

The girls were at a loss of words. Jinsol? Doing bad in a class? And in a science subject no less. The girl practically breathed science and was quick to understand the material presented to her. The keyboardist knew the girls were waiting for an explanation and maybe they could help.

"I... skipped some labs because of some of the gigs the band had to attend and now I'm really close to failing."

"Jinsol!" She knew Haseul was ready to scold her. "If the band was getting in the way of your classes we could've just re-scheduled. The gigs are not more important than your grades."

Surprisingly her voice was not angry but sympathetic. Truly she was the best manager they could ever ask for. Even though they called her that as a joke she actually filled the role

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter