Rian

Eternal Race
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain hasn't let up at all since this morning. It was pouring down so hard that they even had to cancel all classes because apparently the main building was getting flooded out. The sports field had pools of water building up. Step in one of those and it’ll seem like you’re swimming in a pool. Being locked up in the dorms all day has gotten me feeling all stuffy and irritable.

 

Don’t get me wrong. I love the rain but I hate the feeling of being restrained. I didn’t particular have anywhere else to go.Getting up from my seat on the window sill, I looked out the window with one final scowl. It felt like the heavens weren't on my side that day as the power decided to cut off that same moment. Great. How can this day get any worse? No light, no cool air, no nothing.

 

The only thing I can be thankful for as of right now is that I have the dorm room to myself. I did appreciate the solitude when the girls aren’t around. Mira had decided it was the perfect time to go all smoochy face with her boyfriend and snuck off to the boys dorm. The rest of the girls… well they’re probably lounging around the campus. Flopping down onto the bed, I stared up at the ceiling. It wouldn't hurt to do it just this once right?

 

Snapping my fingers a few times, a small flame ignited at the tip of my finger. Watching the flame, there was a calm that suddenly casted over me. I could feel a small smile play along my lips. Oh, how I missed my inner self. Blowing at the flame gently, I watched as it floated from the tip of my finger to the ceiling of the dark room and let it float up there, illuminating the room with a soft, red hue. Who needs candles when you have yourself. Smirking to myself, I plopped back down on the bed and let out a contented sigh.

 

Normally, I don’t use any of my powers. There wasn’t much of a use for them. Not when you have to keep it a secret most of the time. I grew up with the rest of the girls and they too have powers of their own. I’m grateful that we were able to go to the same school and even room together. It was the best gift I could ever ask for.

 

As much as I love my girls though, one night of silence is pure bliss. Closing my eyes, I tried to catch up on a few extra hours of sleep. The professors were killing us this week with projects and I had finished everything last night with no sleep. Unfortunately, sleep wouldn't come. Sitting up on the bed once again, I looked around the room and my gaze settled back onto the window. They warned us about keeping the windows and doors closed.

 

Apparently some jockeys decided it was hilarious to sneak into the girl's’ room at night and traumatize them. They threw their clothing on the ground, used their lipstick to write on the walls, etc. You know things of that norm.

 

But my real question is, how could those girls sleep through all of that? I know for sure I would have woken up instantly and kick them in places where the sun doesn't shine. Finally, after a few more thoughts I decided what harm was there actually.

 

With a hook of one finger, the window unlocked and opened up. Casting a thin but firm force field around the window and tweaking the spell a bit, neither the rain or anyone can enter the room. Only the sweet sensation of the cool breeze. Smiling in satisfaction, I laid back down on the bed and went to sleep instantly with the cool air wafting through the room.

 

 

When I woke up, there wasn’t a ray of sunlight that had shined through the window anymore and it was still pouring outside. The small flame hovering in the air still had casted it’s red hues over the room.

 

Watching the flame dance in its spot, it brought back memories of when I first discovered my powers. It was a cool morning and the first autumn leaves started to drop from the trees, junior year of high school. The girls and I were lounging around the park until I started to feel sick to my stomach. It was soon followed by an excruciating pain I never felt before. Before I knew it, I was back in the comforts of my bed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter