I'm Not a Stalker, I Swear

Perfect Heist

 

Jennie was grinning like an idiot as the motorcycle came to a stop next to the sidewalk where she was standing. The purple-haired cyclist removed her helmet, glaring at Jennie.

“How can you have the nerve to smile at me like that after forcing me to clean up your mess again?” the girl demanded. “Out of all the things to get caught for, petty theft, Jennie? Seriously? Or should I call you ‘Seoyeon’ since that’s apparently your name?”

“Seoyeon is one of my newest identities. It’s great, isn’t it? And shouldn’t you be happy that it was only petty theft? Anything bigger would have been a lot harder to resolve,” Jennie reasoned, still with that insufferable grin on her face.

“You’re impossible. Honestly, you’re lucky I still look out for you. I should have dropped your bum years ago.”

“That’s funny, Jisoo. As if you could ever ditch your little sister.” Jisoo rolled her eyes.

“Whatever, Jen. I hope your little adventure was worth it for that lame necklace.”

“Ah, but I didn’t just get this necklace—and don’t lie, it’s very pretty. But anyway, I also got to a really hot girl to get this. I mean, she turned out to be a , but I got what I wanted so I don’t care.” Again, Jisoo rolled her eyes.

“You really are something, Jennie. You know there are plenty of people who hot girls without ending up at the precinct for petty theft.”

“Yeah, but those people are boring. Besides, those people don’t meet goody-two-shoes blonde girls that are incredibly fun to mess with at said precinct.”

“Don’t tell me that you were torturing some poor girl.”

“How do you think I called you?”

“I really can’t deal with you. Please just get on the bike so we can get home and I can lock myself in my room and stay far away from you.” Jennie was still smiling in the most aggravating way possible as she climbed onto the motorcycle, putting on the extra helmet that Jisoo handed her. The purple-haired girl let out a sigh as she put on her own helmet. “You know, I really hate you, Jennie Kim.”

“I love you too, Chichoo.”

***

Jennie glanced at the clock. 2 AM and she was still sitting in front of her computer. She leaned back in her chair, staring at the red dot on the map on her screen. It hadn’t moved for hours, but that was expected at this late our. Jennie tapped her fingers on the armrest of her seat, a pensive look on her face. But the she jolted upright when the door to her room suddenly swung open.

“Oh, Jennie. You’re awa— What are you doing?” Jisoo asked as she stepped into the room.

“Nothing!” Jennie answered quickly, standing to block the computer monitor. “What are you still doing up? And why are you in here?”

“I haven’t been able to sleep. And I was looking for my phone but I couldn’t find it. I thought maybe I left it in here or something. But… what is that?” Despite Jennie’s whining and complaining, Jisoo pushed her aside to get a view of the computer screen. Her eyes roamed over the map of a neighborhood on the other side of town and the red dot blinking in the middle of it. She also caught sight of her own phone resting next to the keyboard. She slowly turned back to face Jennie, a disapproving look on her face.

“It’s not what it looks like,” Jennie spoke up, nibbling on her bottom lip. Jisoo crossed her arms.

“Oh, it isn’t? So you didn’t use my phone to hack someone else’s?” the older girl demanded.

“No, of course not. That’s what burner phones are for. I only used your phone to get her number.”

“Wait a minute. The girl from the station whose phone you used to call me, that’s who you hacked?”

“Yeah…”

“Have you just been sitting here all night staring at this?!”

“Well yeah, but only because I’ve been debating whether or not to proceed with what I have planned.”

“I don’t even want to know what’s going through your head. I’m just gonna take my phone and leave you to your nonsense.” Jisoo swiped her phone off of the desk and turned to go, but a hand on her arm forced her to stop.

“Jisoo, wait, I need your help,” Jennie said, her voice quiet.

“Help with what?” Jisoo asked in a tone that suggested that she didn’t really want to know the answer to her question.

“You’re better at hacking than I am. I only know the basics, but I need more than that. I don’t just want to know where she is. I need to get into her phone.”

“I’m not helping you invade her privacy. You’ve already done enough of that on your own. I don’t want to play any part in this.”

“Jisoo, please. I just need this one favor, can’t you help your sister out here?”

“I’m always helping you out, Jennie, and you know it. It’s a miracle that I haven’t experienced any real backlash yet but it’s only a matter of time before you up my life with your ridiculous shenanigans.”

“Oh please. Don’t pretend you’re such a saint. After all, you taught me everything I know.” In one swift movement, Jisoo had spun around and lunged forward, taking Jennie by the shoulders and pinning her to the wall.

“Don’t be an ungrateful little , Jennie. I taught you how to survive and helped you when you had no one else. Sure, maybe we spent a lot of time stealing in order to stay alive, but I made you a thief not a criminal. You did that all on your own, and I continue to put up with your bull because we’re family. But I’m not going to help you dive deeper into that black hole. You’re already a thief, do you have to add stalker to that?”

“I don’t want to stalk her, I just need her information. She’s my next heist.”

“You’re unbelievable,” Jisoo breathed, pushing off of her and turning to go again. Jennie caught the older girl’s arm to stop her.

“I know I cause you a lot of trouble and I’m really grateful for everything that you’ve done for me. I know you don’t like when I drag you into things but I do it anyway and I’m sorry for that. This is the last time I ask you for help like this, I promise,” Jennie vowed in a serious voice. Jisoo crossed her arms over her chest.

“You promised that last time too and then I had to get you out of jail.”

“I didn’t know things would go wrong like that with Nayeon. It won’t happen again.”

“How can you possibly know that? You’re messing with a girl that’s dating a cop. Tick her off the slightest bit and you could end up right back in jail. I won’t always be able to get you out, you know.”

“You’re worried about me.” It was meant to be a question but there was certainty in Jennie’s voice. Jisoo dropped her arms, sighing in defeat.

“Of course I’m worried about you. You may be a pain in the , but you’re my little sister. And this is bigger than anything you’ve done before. You’re getting involved with the police force now, and a lot of them are rich and powerful, and that’s not just when they’re in uniform. You’re already on their radar, Jennie. One wrong move and it could all be over for you.”

“That’s why I need your help. I need to plan this perfectly. Otherwise I’ll be going in blind.” There was a long pause where Jisoo chewed thoughtfully on her bottom lip while Jennie made puppy eyes at her. Finally, the older of the two let out an irritated huff, running a hand through her hair. She set her steely gaze on Jennie.

“This is the last time, Kim. The absolute last time,” she said coldly, taking a seat at the computer. Jennie beamed brightly, wrapping her arms around her sister’s neck.

“The last time,” she agreed, still smiling. “Thank you.”

***

“I told you I’d help you get into this girl’s phone. Not once did I agree to help you sift through the files,” Jisoo protested. Jennie stuck her bottom lip out in a pout.

“But Jisooooooo. I need your expertise. You know how to go through the important stuff and discard the rest just through your programming and all that. Without your help, I’ll be looking through this for hours,” Jennie whined, clinging to Jisoo’s arm like a child.

“Tough luck, kid. You may be a jobless nuisance, but I have work in a few hours and I’m tired. You have plenty of time to go through this mess. It’s for your operation anyway.”

“Ugh, fine. Go and get some rest. Thank you for your help, Chichoo.”

“Whatever, Jendeuk. Just keep to your word and leave me out of your crap from now on.”

“Yes, mother.” Jennie stuck out her tongue childishly and chuckled quietly when Jiso flipped her off before making her way towards the door. As Jennie settled back in her chair, she noticed out of the corner of her eyes that Jisoo had paused at the door. The younger girl looked up at the sound of her sister’s voice calling her name.

“Why are you interested in this girl in particular?” Jisoo asked in a soft voice.

“I dunno, there’s something interesting about the way she reacted to me before,” Jennie replied with a shrug. “Why do you ask?”

“I ask because you seem far too interested. You need to be careful. I know you like satiating our ual hunger as a gateway to your robberies, but this is someone who’s already in a relationship, and with a cop no less.”

“Don’t worry, she isn’t my type. She’s just incredibly fun to annoy, and that will make this so much more interesting. It’s just a bonus to the fact that she’s connected to so many members of the upper class.”

“Alright, Jennie. Whatever you say. I’m just warning you that one of these days you’re going to wake up in the wrong bed.”

“There’s no such thing as the wrong bed when it comes to having with attractive women.”

“You’re unbelievable.”

“And yet you love me anyway.”

“Barely. Goodnight now, loser.” And with that, Jisoo made her way out of the room and closed the door, leaving Jennie alone to work through the files from Lisa’s phone. Heaving a sigh, Jennie sat up straighter, cracking her knuckles before getting down to business.

“Alright, Lisa,” the brunette muttered to herself. “Let’s see what treasures you’re hiding.”

***

It wasn’t until nearly six in the morning that Jennie finally crawled into her bed, beyond exhausted. Her vision was blurry, both from lack of sleep and from spending so much time staring at a screen. Still, despite her fatigue, she was quite satisfied with her work. Not only had she dug up plenty of information on Lisa and her cop girlfriend—a pretty girl by the name of Chaeyoung Park (who was much more Jennie’s type, by the way)—but she had also managed to find the perfect opportunity for her to have her next bout of fun. She glanced at her computer from where she lay, smiling at the invitation lighting up her screen before drifting to sleep, the invitation still flashing behind her eyelids.

Lalisa Manoban,

You are formally invited to the birthday celebration of Sooyoung Park.


Next time on Jennie's Dangerous Thieving Adventures we have the real start of the drama. Stay tuned ;)

~unsungpoet