CHAPTER 7 Witness Insecurity I

Fate Game

.07


In a spa room

“So, spill everything to me. Anything happened during the trip?”

 

Jennie raises an eyebrow and smirks at me as if she is expecting something that can make her ship sails. Roseanne will not let that happen. Anything that happens in Switzerland should just stay there… between Daniel and her.

 

“Of course there is… nothing. You know, we just played ski a little bit, got the deal with Mr Tey and went back here.”

 

“Really? I am sad…”

 

“Yeap, too bad that was all that happened. The trip was strictly business, nothing else.” Roseanne emphasises, trying to stop Jennie from continuing digging for more.

 

“I am sad that my friend actually lied in front of my face! I just know you well that you will never tell me anything. That is why I approach Daniel first during lunchtime yesterday. That boy cannot keep a secret to himself so he literally told me everything about your panic attack and of course the part that I like the most, which is what happened after. If only you saw how flustered he was.” She sounds all giddy and excited.

 

Roseanne feels like she is about to sew Daniel’s mouth to prevent him from talking with Jennie ever again. Jennie is mischievous while Daniel is just the exact opposite. He must be unaware of Jennie’s idea about Roseanne and him, hence making him telling her EVERYTHING about the trip.

 

“If you already got what you want to know then why do you bother to ask me again?”

 

“Just to bust your lying . I am glad that my decision made you two become closer. By the way, he also told me that he pecked you while you were sleeping.”

 

“What? He did that too?”

 

As soon as Roseanne realises what she just said, she covers her mouth, or her whole face in general.

 

“TOO? Oh my, this is getting so interesting. Stop shoving me with all these adorable moments, would you? My heart may not be able to accept all of these. If you ever need my help again, just tell me but I think-”

 

Roseanne storms off the spa room before Jennie finishes her talks to save herself from Jennie’s wrath of teasing and craziness.

 

 

In the office

“Dan, can you get me the document for the meeting last time?”

 

“Here you go, Miss Roseanne.”

 

Roseanne watches as Daniel walks back to his seat quietly with an uneasy expression on his face. She has been observing him for quite a time before concluding that something is definitely going on with him. At first, she thought it was just her overthinking when she noticed Daniel keeps glancing at her. Whenever she looks at him, he would switch his sight to his computer, documents or phone as if to avoid any direct eye contact. Daniel’s strange behaviour just now further confirmed Roseanne’s suspicion about him.

 

“Is there something you want to tell me, Dan?” She speaks up.

 

“What? I mean, yes.”

 

“Just come over, you know I won’t bite, even though you are very cute, like a marshmallow.”

 

*The italic part is just thought and not spoken out loud, because imagine that if she did.

 

Daniel stands up while clutching something in his hand. He walks to Roseanne’s table and put something on it. It is a voucher for a dinner in a hotel restaurant.

 

“Oh? You want to invite me to a dinner?” Roseanne raises an eyebrow, feeling amused about the whole situation.

 

“Miss Jennie made me do it- I mean, she wants to have a double date for us, her and Mr Min.”

 

“When is it?”

 

“The next-next Friday, 8 pm. I really hope you can make it…”

 

“Or else she will tell everyone, and most importantly to you about what happened in Switzerland,” Daniel mumbles the last sentence that is only audible to himself.

 

“What did you say?” Roseanne asks as she didn't quite catch that.

 

“No! I didn’t say anything! So…?”

 

“I think it should be fine, I am free during the night.”

 

“I take that as a yes, then? I will go to your house at 7 if that’s okay.” A slight of hope filled the boy's and put a wider smile (if possible) on his already handsome face.

 

“Sure.”

 

They both then resume in doing whatever they are doing just now. Daniel is feeling relieved that Roseanne did not reject him, and his secret will be safe with Jennie.

 

At least that is what he thought. Poor Daniel, though.

 

 

ROSÉ POV

“Dan, wanna grab some lunch?” I walk over to his desk to invite him.

 

Recently, having lunch with Daniel is one of my favourite daily routines.

 

“You know I will never say no to lunch.”

 

“Good because I know this new place-”

 

I was interrupted by my ringing phone. I look at the caller ID to see that my mother is calling me.

 

“Hello mother, is everything alright?”

 

“Yes dear, are you going to have lunch now?”

 

“Yes, I am going with Daniel. Do you want to join us?”

 

“I’d love to but I really can’t. I have something to do later, so I am calling you to ask if you can fetch your brother to the office today?”

 

“Oh, of course, just leave it to me. Be safe mom!”

 

“Thanks, dear. See you back at home?”

 

“See you too.”

 

Then, I hung up the call.

 

“Is everything alright?” Daniel asks me.

 

“Yes it is, it was my mother calling. Looks like we are having a change of plan.”

 

 

“I don't know you have a brother?” Daniel asks me while we are on our way to fetch my brother.

 

“I am not surprised, considering Micah is not around when you come to my house every morning. He is already in school at that time.”

 

“Ahh… which university?”

 

I chuckle a bit when I heard what Daniel said, which leave even more confused. 

 

“My brother is still an elementary school student. Before you ask, Micah is my half-brother of the same father, his mother was my stepmother. When my father left us, he divorced her to give her freedom and she gave Micah’s custody to my mother. That is why he is younger than what you expected.” I explain.

 

I don’t know since when it begins, but I am getting more comfortable to open up more about my personal life with Daniel. We talk about so many things and he will give me responds the best that he could. It feels nice to be around him. He is someone that I can trust and someone I would like to trust.

 

“Thanks for the info.” He says.

 

 

DANIEL POV

“Sister!”

 

A kid just hops into the car and hugs Roseanne. That must be Micah, her brother that I just found out his existence a few moments ago. He looks as cute as his sister, but Roseanne is still way more gorgeous.

 

“Micah, this man over here is Daniel, he is my personal assistant. Daniel, this is my brother, Micah.” She introduces us to each other.

 

“Hello brother Daniel, it is nice to meet you.”

 

“Hi, Micah. It's nice to meet you too.”

 

I held out my hand to initiate him a handshake, which he did. His family must have taught him well.

 

“I think you two will get along well, considering how childlike you are.” Roseanne teases me which made me pout, unintentionally.

 

“See? You have just proved my point,” She chuckles lightly, "So, what do you feel like for lunch, Micah?”

 

“Oh! Oh! Can we have some fast food, please? Mother never let me have it.”

 

“But Micah, fast food is not good for us, that is why mother doesn't allow you to eat them. Furthermore, brother Daniel here cannot eat fast food because it will upset his stomach.”

 

I look at Roseanne in disbelief when she just used me as an excuse to not allow her brother to have fast food. I mouthed ‘Why are you lying to a child like this?’ to her, but was defeated by her eyes that are pleading as if she is asking for my help to convince him. Fine, I will let it pass this time, but only for once.

 

“But Micah wants Happy Meal!” Micah begins to throw a fit.

 

Roseanne may have been a really excellent negotiator when it comes to business, but she still has a long way to go in handing a child.

 

“Hey Micah, how about we go to have some Chinese food first? If you finish your food and behave nicely, we will get you Happy Meals on the way back to the office. I know you want the whole new collection of sport car toys, right? Micah will get them all if he is a good boy. Is Micah a good boy?”

 

I showed her how it should be done. Let’s just hope it would work on Micah as well.

 

“Yes, I am!” Micah answers enthusiastically.

 

“Good! Now let’s go to have some food.” I pat his head lightly while shooting Roseanne with some victorious smile.

 

“Thanks, Dan.” Roseanne let out a smile. Just when I am feeling a little superior in front of her, “I guess it takes a child to convince one.”

 

 

ROSÉ POV

I can’t help but have so much fun in teasing Daniel. He never fails to amuse me with him not being angry and pout cutely whenever I did that to him. Nevertheless, I am thankful for him because I wouldn’t be able to handle Micah that easily all by myself, although I did earn a groan from him after my remarks.

 

It was a pleasant lunch indeed. Micah was really happy to have Daniel around, as expected from a happy virus. It has been what I wanted for my family to be happy even with all these horrible things that happened to us. It doesn’t matter If I have to take all the burdens all by myself. As long as it is for their well-being, then I won’t ever mind sacrificing my everything.

 

 

Micah hopped out of the car happily when we were back to the office after our lunch. Then, I received a phone call from my colleague, saying that I need to go for a visit to this new building that our company just acquired. I was in a dilemma, thinking whether I should or shouldn't go. Should I just left him in the office or bring him along to the site? Neither of them will please Micah...

 

“Is that Miss Lee?” Daniel asks me which I nod.

 

“Then you go ahead, I will just stay here and take care of Micah. Don't worry.” He offers.

 

“But how about the documents?”

 

“I already gave them to Miss Lee before we went out for lunch just now. Just in case of anything like this,”

 

“Well done! Sorry to bother you with Micah," I bend down to reach my brother, "Micah, sorry but I have to go out right now. Listen to brother Daniel while sister is working, okay? I will be back as soon as possible.” I rub his shoulders.

 

“Alright then, see you sister!” Micah waves at me.

 

“Thanks, Dan. Sorry about this.”

 

“You are welcome. It's fine, really.”

 

“I am coming now, Miss Lee. Please wait for a while.” I continue talking with Miss Lee over the phone while taking my ride to the location.

 

It should be fine to leave Micah with Daniel. He is a reliable person after all.

 

 

DANIEL POV

Micah has been awfully quiet after his sister went off to work just now. Now, he is just sitting on the couch quietly with his eyes glued to the door.

 

“Hey Micah, aren’t you going to play with your new toys?”

 

I lift up all the toy cars that Roseanne bought for him just now, hoping that it will gain his attention and cheer him up.

 

“No.”

 

“Then, do you have any homework to finish? How about we finish them early so you can rest earlier?” I tried harder to approach him.

 

“No thanks, brother Daniel.”

 

His eyes never left the door at once, and I know exactly what is on his mind.

 

“Micah, are you waiting for your sister?” I take a seat beside him on the couch.

 

He nods his head lightly.

 

“Well, she is busy with her works right now but don' worry, she will be back really soon.”

 

“I know, but I just wish that she can spend more time with me. It’s been so long since the last time I get to play with her.”

 

I can hear the disappointment and the longing of his sister’s attention from his words. I never really had siblings when I am growing up, but I have a bunch of friends who are like brothers and sisters to me. It is sad to know that real siblings don’t get to spend time together even when they are living in the same house together. Roseanne has sacrificed a lot for her family, and that ultimately includes her bonding time with them. She wants them to be happy but with her rarely being around them make the happiness feels empty; she wants to give everything they want, without knowing everything they ever want is her.

 

“But it is not good to not do anything while waiting for her, right? How about we finish your homework now so that you will have more time to spend with her later?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Micah is really smart and finishes his homework fast without needing much of my help. I tried my best to make some jokes and silly acts to keep him entertained along the way. I am glad that he can at least take a break from his loneliness with me around. We actually get along well even though we just knew each other literally today.

 

When I help him to put his books back into his school bag, I saw a flyer and pull it out to have a better look at it.

 

“What is this?” I ask him.

 

“Ah! I am playing in a school drama on next Wednesday. Mother will be there and I want to invite sister too, but I think she will be too busy to come. Brother Daniel, can you come to see me even if my sister cannot?” His large innocent eyes just look straight at mine. Now that's something no one can ever resist.

 

I lowered down myself to match his level and look at him.

 

“I will not only attend by myself, but I will also bring your sister as well. Deal?” I point my pinky finger at him.

 

“Deal!”

 

We intertwine our pinky fingers and stamp our thumbs together.

 

Knock knock.

 

We both look at the door before looking back at each other.

 

“My sister will not knock her own office door, so it is not her. It must be…”

 

“Miss Jennie.” I help him to finish his sentence.

 

“Hi, sister Jenjen!” Micah greets the lady that just came in happily.

 

“Hi Micah, long time no see. You have grown up a lot! Come and give sister Jennie a hug. Is your sister not around?”

 

Judging from that, it is safe to say that Jennie is close with all of Roseanne's family members. 

 

“Yeah, she is out at work again.” 

 

“I see." Her gaze then shifts to me, "Have you done what I told you, Daniel?”

 

Her little smirk suddenly made me feel nervous.

 

“Ye-yes! And she agrees to it.” I gulp. 

 

“Well done! See you around then, have fun bonding you two.”

 

She winks before she left the office. I think I have sweated even though the office does not feel hot at all.

 

“What is sister Jennie talking about?” Micah asks, as he is clueless about my exchange with Jennie.

 

“Nothing! Nothing at all, hahaha.” I answer nervously.

 

 

ROSÉ POV

“That stupid contractor! A few hours of mine had been wasted for good.”

 

I said as I fasten my pace to my office. The work had taken longer than what I had expected. My day was officially ruined by those people in the worksite, and now I am back at here with a not-really-good mood. Frustration mixed with a little worry, I am praying silently that it won’t be a mess inside. Did anything happen to both of them when they are not under my vision? Micah isn’t really naughty but like how a child always is, he is playful and sometimes makes quite a mess around the house. I trust Daniel that he can handle Micah on his own, but sadly he has the same characteristic like Micah as well. I don’t even want to rethink about how both of them acted in the Chinese restaurant and Macdonald’s earlier, competing who eats faster, chasing each other around and laughing out loud. I feel like I am watching two little boys when he is, in fact, a year older than me. If things didn't work well in there as well, who knows if I would ever explode in front of Micah, in front of Daniel. It doesn't sound good and definitely won't look good either.

 

I slowly open the door of my office and peek inside. Thank God, at least the office is not destroyed. I can see that Daniel is sitting in his seat but Micah is nowhere in sight.

 

“Hey, Dan-”

 

He puts a finger in front of his mouth as a signal for me to lower down my voice. I slowly walk into the room and close the door lightly. He then points to the couch at my currently napping baby brother. I smile at him as I know that I was right about trusting him and feeling thankful to him. Maybe I will not for this whole week.

 

Seeing them both doing fine had definitely taken away all the frustration and rage I got just now. It wasn't that much of a bad day, I guess. 

 

 


Hooray for the first update of this year!

Sorry I have been slacking so much ><" 

I think this will be one of the things that I will try to make a change this year, 

 I will try to fasten up my pace to update the story, so please anticipate for more!

 

Until next time :D

 

 

 

BLACKPINK HOUSE just started so give our girlies a lot of support! <3