CHAPTER 4 A New (Guy) Assistant In Need

Fate Game

.04


Have you ever feel yourself, or heard from someone else about how people that never met feel like they know each other? It may not be to the extent of knowing everything about them, but the way how they can connect with each other to see their feelings, just like it is all fated to be. I think this is something people called ‘soulmate’.

 

 

Roseanne has plenty of times before she has to go back to her office, so she stops by in a convenience store along the way to pick up some snacks for Jennie and her. She left the store after she paid for the things she bought. A moment later, a man came in and pick some quick meal and walks to the counter.

 

“That will be 3000 Won, sir.” The cashier smiles at the man.

 

“Here it is. By any chance, is there any vacancy here?” The man smiles back, hoping for a satisfying answer to his question just now.

 

“I am sorry but we are not hiring right now…”

 

“I see, it is alright.”

 

“Thanks for coming, have a nice day.”

 

 

“What? Another personal assistant again? That is the third one for these two months,” Jennie just have to state out the obvious. She almost spills the milk tea that Roseanne got her earlier.

 

“Hey, be careful! What can I do? I did write that the job will be dangerous on the hiring notice. Maybe we should emphasize more on that part this time.”

 

Roseanne then tells her secretary to prepare a hiring announcement to be posted online. They did state that the job will be QUITE DANGEROUS on the hiring notice.

 

“Now we wait for the applicants.”

 

 

A few days after the hiring notice is published, there are already around 50 people signing up for the position. They may or may not noticed the emphasized part, or simply just choose to ignore it, because who in their right mind will ever want to miss out a job that is such well paid, and most importantly the chance to work in the PARK'S COOPERATION, one of the biggest company in South Korea? It definitely sounds promising to boast during a family gathering or a friend meeting. Furthermore, how risky can a personal assistant for the company’s CEO be? It’s not possible that the key person of such a huge business is a psychopath, right? Why would she be when she is basically winning at life?

 

“Good luck with your job interview!”

 

“Thanks, See you!”

 

Daniel Kang, a student who starts late in university that just freshly graduated is interested in the job as well. He has been hunting for a full-time job since he finished his study not long ago but up to no luck, he still didn’t manage to get a decent one. Part-time jobs surely can’t afford him to live in this big city while having to pay for rental and living fees. That is why he decides to apply for the position and luck must be on his side as he is now ready to go for the interview session. He borrows a whole set of suit from his neighbour and promises him that he will treat him if he ever gets the job. He chooses to take a taxi, a little different from taking the bus he usually did because he doesn't want to be late and kiss this good chance goodbye.

 

 

“You can do it, Daniel Kang! Fighting!” He says to himself.

 

He is now sitting in the waiting area, waiting for his turn to come. He never fails to smile to other applicants despite they are here to compete for the position with him. Daniel is just like that, he likes to smile and his happy vibes is what his friends like about him the most. He tries to put himself into a smile even though he is feeling a little nervous right now. Just a little.

 

 

ROSÉ POV

In the interviewing room

“I am so bored! How many more people are we going to interview?” Jennie says as she flips through the file that contains the applicant's application.

 

“I already told you that you don’t have to come, I can handle all of this by myself.”

 

“Never in my life ever I see a boss interviewing people by herself before. Besides, the more eyes you have the clearer you see, right? And the next one is, Daniel Kang. OMG!”

 

“What is wrong?” I ask her out of concern if there is any problem with the next applicant.

 

“Would you look at that! Don't you think he looks so good? What is he doing here when he can just go and become a model?”

 

Jennie points at the man’s photo he had submitted along with his resume.

 

“Jen, looks are not the most important criteria in seeing a person. What is more important is his personality. You better behave when he comes in later.”

 

“Judging from his smile I do not think he will have a bad personality.” she winks.

 

A young man then walks into the room and greet both of us with the biggest smile ever. I have to admit, he is indeed good looking, or should I say even-

 

“He looks even hotter in real person!” Jennie whispered exactly my thought to me.

 

I signalled her to be serious, and tell him to sit on the chair while I look through his profile.

 

“Hello, please introduce yourself.”

 

“Hello, my name is Daniel Kang and I am 25 years old this year. I just graduated from the university because I started late. I am really glad to be called to attend the interview, please take good care of me.”

 

He stands up from his seat and bow to us, still with a smile on his face. I can hear Jennie squeals a little when he did that and it is so embarrassing. She usually doesn’t behave like this; at least not in front of a stranger.

 

“I am Roseanne and this is Jennie. Is it okay if I call you Daniel?” He nodded.

 

“So Daniel, are you-”

 

“Are you single now?” Jennie cuts my question and asks him this all of a sudden. I stare at her in disbelief with my mouth hanging wide.

 

“Yes, I am. I guess it’d be better for me to focus on my career before searching for the right one, to give her a good living she ever deserves.”

 

He smiles through his answer. I have to admit it is quite a charming point of him. Wait, did I really think about that?

 

“Ooh interesting, because Miss Roseanne here is single as well. I am not, though.” She turns to me and says, “Just trying to make this interview session a little different from before.”

 

This girl has to stop talking nonsense and embarrassing me and herself more.

 

“Aah, that is good for you. I am sure that Miss Roseanne will find her Mr Right as well someday.” He continues.

 

He is actually a really friendly person, it is obvious from the way he talks to us. Maybe because of Jennie or him, it does not feel like an interview, but more like a chatting session between three friends.

 

“I am sorry but I have to go on with the interview. Daniel, do you mind to tell us why did you apply for the job?” I ask.

 

“I am not gonna lie, I really need a full-time job as doing multiple part-time jobs are tiring yet doesn’t pay as well as one full-time job. Besides that, having the chance to work in THE Park’s Cooperation? Many people would fight for that. Do you know how hard is it to find a decent job these days? You need experiences to be qualified for a job but you will need a job to have experience-- I am sorry, did I talk too much?”

 

He stops as he notices both of us are staring at him while he talks.

 

“Not at all, I appreciate your honesty, and thank you for thinking highly of our company. So Daniel, are you aware that the job you are applying, which is becoming my personal assistant is actually quite dangerous as what had been mentioned in the hiring notice?”

 

“Ahh, I was about to ask the same thing too. Will I always be in dangerous situations? Because like what you said just now, I am going to be your personal assistant which means that I will always be around you. Doesn't that also make you to always be in dangerous situations as well? If it is so, how am I going to risk your safety by letting you alone? I am more than willing to be there to assist you the best that I could.”

 

My jaw almost dropped listening to his answers but thankfully I get to pull myself together. I don’t know if it is just me but he sounds like he is making a vow to his girlfriend. Does he usually go around talking to other girls like this? I can hear Jennie squeals a little harder and buries her head in the file. Maybe girls are more sensitive to something like this, I supposed.

 

“That-that was an unexpected answer to hear, Daniel. But yes, If you become my assistant you will always have to deal with risks I will probably face. So are you willing to help me even though you do not know how dangerous it would be?”

 

“No matter what it is, if you feel that it is threatening you, it means that you will need help and I am more than willing to help.”

 

“I see... in your profile you also wrote that your shoulder is 60cm? That is quite wide I have to say,”

 

“Thank you, although it is pretty embarrassing that I wrote it now that I think of. I am not that much of a brainer, but I am a quick learner and I am more than ready to work hard. I only have my good strength to be proud of and I really hope that I am good enough for you to consider me as your personal assistant. However, I am already thankful to make it this far, thank you for today Miss Roseanne and Miss Jennie.”

 

‘You do have a good looking face as well. Oh no Roseanne, snap out of it and be professional! Especially In front of this hot guy. Wait, ughhh!’

 

“I think that is all for today, Daniel. It is nice talking with you. Thank you for coming and hope to see you around soon.”

 

“See you soon, Daniel,” Jennie says.

 

Is it just me or is she hinting something?

 

“Thank you once again and goodbye, Miss Roseanne, Miss Jennie.”

 

He went to us and shake our hands before heading toward the exit.

 

“Miss Roseanne?” He suddenly turns back and calls my name.

 

“Yes, is there anything else?”

 

“I do not know why but I have the urge to tell you this, no matter what you have gone through before, it was all in the past and you deserve to be happy now.” And he leaves.

 

“He is definitely worth to keep. How do you th-”

 

“NEXT!” I shouted before Jennie gets to finish her question.

 

 

It took us the whole day to finish interviewing all the applicants.

 

“Finally! I thought it is never going to end,” Jennie stretches after a whole day of sitting,

“Do you want to go out and grab some drink?”

 

“No thanks, I am tired as hell and I think you should rest too. See you in the office tomorrow?” I politely reject her while gathering my things up. Knowing Jennie, those ‘some drink’ will totally end up with her being wasted and making excuse to absent from work the next day.

 

“You better have idea on who is going to be your personal assistant now and by that mean it better be that Mr Smiley Boy Daniel Kang,”

 

“Don’t rush me! I am still thinking about it.”

 

“Stop thinking, what is so hard about this? It’s not like you are deciding for the love of your life. Fine, just take your time. Yoongi is probably still waiting for me right now, you want to go to the lobby together?”

 

“Sure, I am all done now.”

 

“Let’s go then!”

 

 

JENNIE POV

At the lobby

“Thank you for the day, Jennie. Mr Min, please make sure that she arrives home safe and sound.”

 

“I will. have a good night Miss Roseanne,” Yoongi says to assure her.

 

“Sleep tight Rosie, and dream about him tonight.” I as we get into an embrace.

 

I have known Roseanne since we were young and even though we were separated when I followed my family to move to New Zealand, we never lost contact with each other. Upon hearing the bad news that happened to her, I feel the need to stay by her side because she must have felt really weak and helpless. She is never afraid to tell me everything, and that includes the involvement of his father in this underground alliance. She also tells me that her father wants her to take over his position to maintain the balance of the alliance and to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. I didn’t know how to react when I first heard about it, but I do know that I will never let her face all of this all alone. That is why I choose to join her in the company, that is what I can at least do to show her my support.

 

Rosie doesn’t have that much of friends from the beginning, and she shuts herself off more after the unfortunate incident. The incident has definitely left a huge impact on her, it still haunts her to this very day. I have seen her crying in her sleep, having the difficulty to sleep for the whole night without waking up suddenly or the time she has to rely on sleeping pills on an almost daily basis. She never really told me, but I know how much she has been suffering although I might never understand it. It really pains me to see her like this. People said that she has changed into nothing like she was before; cold, strict and unapproachable, even herself thinks the same. But I know that deep down, she is still the Roseanne that I have known since forever. She just needs someone, the right one to stop her from hiding her real self, and hopefully to escape everything that has been a burden to her.

 

When I saw Daniel just now, I can see the cheerful vibe on him, he can bring happiness and joy to people around him just by being himself. This is something that Rosie doesn’t have and is actually what she really needs: the feelings to live happily, or to be comfortable with being herself. I am not trying to be a matchmaker because I know that love cannot be forced and Rosie probably will not like it either, but I really hope that Daniel can stay beside her as a friend who she can trust. For anything beyond that, it will have to depend on what fate have in store for them. The words Daniel had said in the interview room just now had confirmed that my feelings are absolutely right.

 

ROSÉ POV

“I do not know why but I have the urge to tell you this, no matter what you have gone through before, it was all in the past and you deserve to be happy now.”

 

I am in my study room right now, enjoying a great view of the Han River through the window. The words that Daniel said just now is still ringing in my mind.

 

‘The urge to tell me? We just met for the first time today, but why does it look like he knows me? How did he know that something had happened to me? Oh, he must have read the news before. But he looks like someone who has a story as well, is that why he can sense it as if we have something in common?’

 

“Haven’t sleep yet?”

 

The light knocking on the door interrupted me from my train of thoughts. My mother is walking into the study while bringing a teacup.

 

“Yeah, I still have some work to do. You know, choosing the new personal assistant.” I smile at her.

 

“Then drink this. Maybe it can help to clear your mind and think better. It helps you to sleep well too.” She hands me the cup of tea that she brings.

 

“Thank you, mother.”

 

I accept the teacup and take a few sip of it. My mother has been trying methods to help me with my insomnia but nothing just works perfectly. But at least it does help to calm me in the night, though. She watches me finishing the tea and takes the teacup away. She was about to leave the room until I suddenly speak up.

 

“Mother?”

 

“Yes, dear?” She turns to look at me.

 

“Do you ever feel like you know someone well, or like having a connection even though you just met them?” I look at her while hoping for an answer that is satisfying.

 

“I did not really have any experiences on this, but I do know that if you feel like you are connected with someone, there must be something that has brought you together. I think this is what people called as - fate.”

 

“I see, goodnight mother.”

 

“Goodnight too, dear.”

 

 

Fate? Is that what it really is? Like it is all destined to happen in a way?

 

If it really is, then I know what exactly I should do.

 

Surprisingly, I sleep a little bit well that night. It must have been my mother’s tea.

 

 


See what I told you about expect for the unexpected?

Sorry for taking too long to reveal the main male, I just think that Rosé's background story is really important and tried to elaborate more on it. 

The pairing must be very fresh to see, even I myself was unsure about them. But I think it is fine if we just see it as a drama-story rather than focusing too much on the ship. 

It is undeniable that Daniel is the hottest artist of 2017. I saw a few videos of him dancing to the girls' song, and the girls (Jennie and Rosé) had mentioned him in Knowing Bros before, so I am thinking 'why not?' while writing the story. 

Let's just see how it goes. 

See you in the next update!

 

BTW, I am not using their real age in this story, I made them a few years older but Rosé is still younger than both Jennie and Daniel.