Final

Past, Present, Future

 

'You are cordially invited to the wedding of Cho Kyuhyun and Song Qian..'

She let out a small laugh as she finished reading the name, ‘I knew you’d end up with her! Aish, that punk…ouch,’ she muttered as she nursed her (still) aching back.


 

Kyuhyun's surprised face when he heard Heechul was enlisting in the army before Jungsoo could not compare to when he saw Sooyoung in his reception; he could not register that she was standing a few feet away from him, wearing a simple white strapless dress with a hairband on her short chestnut hair. She looked stunning to him; however, he noticed that there was something missing…there was something different about her.

Her eyes weren't as bright as they used to be…


 

'Congratulations on finally being married!'

 

'Thank you…'

'Both of you look amazing tonight–well your wife has always been a stunner,' she winked at him; he smiled.

'Thank you for coming…it means so much to me for you to be able to come,'

'Hey, I am honored that you still decided to invite me after all these years with no contact at all! So I should thank you, instead.' She flashed him a smile–one that is bittersweet, but she made sure that he couldn’t see it, as not to arise suspicion. He was one of the people who knew her best, after all.

‘I’m so proud of you,’ she continued. ‘and I knew you’d end up marrying her! HA!’ she added playfully, as she stuck her tongue out at him. ‘Those days when you used to joke around and say Changmin would date her backfired on you~’ she continued teasing him as she let out soft giggles.

It felt funny to be so happy and making fun of him because somehow she still had that lingering feeling in her heart–the warm feeling that embraced her heart whenever she sees him, but she ignored the feeling because it didn’t mean anything anymore; it was a mere feeling that was to be kept to herself.

He could only smile as she made fun of him. He would usually fight back, but he let it slip tonight; he wanted to enjoy the moment with her. After such a long time, he finally got to see her again. Even though they were two completely different people now–especially with him being married. It still gave him flutters when he saw her laugh and smile; but all that mattered was that he got to see her.

That night, as the stars shone down upon them, the two former lovers reunited as close friends that they used to be.


 

‘Former member of legendary girl group Girls’ Generation, Choi Sooyoung, is in a coma; reported to be in last stage of cancer,’

Nobody that knew her, except for her family, believed what they had read in the news. Not even him. Everyone was beyond shocked when they learnt her news…it felt impossible for her to have been suffering from cancer all this time.

Kyuhyun then thought of the day of his wedding, when she made her appearance. He clearly remembered that there was something different…did she know already by then about her cancer? He shook his head…this was all too much to take in.

‘I called Yuri,’ his wife told him, ‘she said her family found her lying unconscious on her bedroom floor…’ Victoria frowned, not believing the cruel fate that had been placed upon the tall girl.


 

Later that day, Kyuhyun and Victoria arrived at the hospital to see Sooyoung. There were some familiar faces that greeted them; (other than the paparazzis who were always on standby), as they walked into the hospital ward.

It was Kim Taeyeon, the former kid leader who greeted them first. ‘Oh Kyuhyun-ssi, Victoria-ssi,’ she bowed, ‘Glad that you guys could come to see her,’ she offered a small smile, even though Kyuhyun knew it was forced.

‘Hey, drop the formalities, we’ve known each other forever,’ Kyuhyun retorted as Victoria gave the petite girl a hug. Taeyeon looked up at him, ‘Ah, it has been a while though, oppa, unni…’

Victoria smiled, ‘But it hasn’t made us–and it isn’t supposed to make us grow apart from each other,’ the younger girl genuinely smiled at the sentence.

It was at this moment that Choi Siwon made his appearance as he muttered phrases such as ‘we’ll sort it out later,’ and ‘I can’t, I’m with family right now,’ at his phone, which Kyuhyun assumed was his manager. Kyuhyun gave the older male a curt nod, which was replied as Siwon got off his phone.

‘Kyuhyun, Victoria…glad to see you guys here,’ he looked at the both of them, particularly at Kyuhyun, who seemed to get where he was leading the conversation.

‘We’re glad we are able to make it,’ Victoria smiled back as he looked back and forth at the two men, and she could sense that the two needed to catch up. ‘Well, you guys, stop giving each other those looks, go ahead and catch up now–gosh, boys will always be boys…’ she muttered as she walked away from the two men and towards the other group of people.


 

‘What happened to her?’

‘Remember a few years ago when she was involved in an accident and hurt her coccyx? Well, somehow that injury developed into cancer–that’s what I’ve been told,’

‘And none of them knew? None of her members noticed that she had it? Surely it would have been very visible…she would have suffered from backaches and all that right?’

‘Well, you know how she is…we’ve been talking about this earlier; they said back then she would complain that her back would ache and she became clumsier than ever, but she shrugged it off and thought she probably worked herself too hard–I actually remember her complaining that she had a problem that of a sixty-year old,’

Kyuhyun sighed. Siwon smiled.

‘Look magnae, we all wished that we knew she was suffering…but none of us knew, not even her family...’ Siwon explained as he put his arms around the younger’s shoulder, ‘and I think you should go see her in her room–I heard she talked about you a lot,’


Her room was cold–so cold that he wondered how could they let her stay in this room? The coldness pricked his skin as if he was walking during a snowfall. He walked closer to her bed, the beeping of the machines became louder and clearer for him.

He sat on the chair next to her bed as he took hold of her cold hand. The hand that would caress his face, pat his back, pinch him and even slap him–he smiled at the memories. He laced his fingers through the spaces between hers and held on to it tightly; it still fits perfectly, reminding him of years ago.

‘Hey, Sooyoung…’ he greeted her, a bitter smile formed on his face. ‘How come you never told me that you’ve been hurting?’ he asked her, but was responded with the resonating sound of the machines connected to her frail body. He sighed.

‘You know, you haven’t changed…still the selfless Sooyoung who didn’t want to worry anyone,’ he sighed. He looked at her pale face, brushing a few strands of her hair away so that he could see her beautifully sculpted face.

‘Sooyoung-ah…’ he started again, taking a deep breath; maintaining a composed self, ‘It’s still there…’

The feeling is still there…

‘It’s been the same since we parted…it never changed,’ he stopped, he could feel his tears were starting to come up and betray him as he slowly faded from his composed, calm self and into the fragile and weak one. He was confused; he was heartbroken; he was sad…to see her lying on the bed motionless, leaving all his questions and statements unanswered…

‘Wake up,’ he whispered in her ears, ‘wake up and surprise all of us; say that this is all a prank and laugh at our faces–we don’t care, I don’t care; I only want you to wake up…’ he choked out, his tears were visibly running down his face.

He was again responded by the constant beeping of the machines in the room.

‘Wake up, smile again for us–for me, please…’ he gave in, his emotion got the best of him. He thought of one last shot, hoping this one would do it; hoping that this one would wake her up even though it seemed impossible.

He kissed her forehead and whispered in her ear,

‘Sooyoung-ah…I love you…’


Three days later as he was getting ready for bed at an ungodly hour of the night, he received a text message from Changmin,

‘Sooyoungie passed away just now, her funeral is set for tomorrow.’

The simple text message that shattered his heart into pieces, as he woke Victoria up and let her know about the news.

He was still dumbstruck as he hugged his crying wife and her hair; he still couldn’t believe that she’s gone…she’s gone for real now…she is gone and it wasn’t a joke she pulled on all of them; it was her cancer getting the best out of her.

So this is the perfect heartbreak…


2009.

‘If…if we don’t end up together in the end, what would you do?’

‘I’ll chase after you and make you mine, again and again and again…’

Silence.

‘What would you do?’

She smiled.

‘Let you go…if you were meant to be mine, you’ll come back to me anyways, that’s how fate works…’ 

 

end. 


 

A/N: thank you for subscribing and commenting! I hope you enjoyed the story :) Thank you so much again!!!