01

Past, Present, Future

 

It felt like yesterday when it is actually almost ten years ago since the days when they were shameless young adults (she was a teenager, really) saying 'I love you' publicly on air during her radio program with Sungmin, as if the words meant nothing. Maybe to him it was nothing; however to her, it was the start of her bittersweet love story.

'I love you, you love me, we love each other~'

It was a lie to state that they were close with each other; they were rather awkward and if it wasn't for the radio (and a certain Lee Sungmin), they wouldn't have talked with each other at all.

'I really like how his voice sounds,' she stated, just to add fuel to the already burning fire when in reality she actually started to like it, but never dreamt of growing to love the said voice so much, at all. His voice sure sent chills down her spines and she was still the giddy hoobae at the time, who exercised her freedom and expressed her feeling. But she never meant for her feeling to be more that of admiration.


It is almost eight years ago that she stood there, in the huge stadium, waving the blue lightstick with other fans, as his girlfriend, watching her boyfriend singing and dancing along to Gee.

'I can't touch it because it's so hot

I'm engulfed by love's fire completely'

She was surprised when he turned up to be portraying her in their Super Show 2 concert, while wearing a shirt that screams out 'KYUYOUNG' and a dreadful wig that made him look prettier than her ('how dare he,' she cursed when she saw him at the concert) and the impossible skinny jeans that outlined his lower parts more than she would like for it (she didn't know he had a y ).

After the Chunji phone call, Kyuhyun decided to make a move on the loud-mouthed hoobae of his; he unknowingly felt a special bond with the girl after the small talk over the phone (public conversation, too) and even though she was a bit clueless sometimes, other times she would just think that he was being a nice sunbae or oppa, but with the help of Sungmin, the witty magnae managed to triumph over Choi Sooyoung's brick like (that's what he likes to call it-even though it really isn't) heart.

As he danced and sang to the song–making a fool out of himself (even though they all know that they love it), his eyes met hers and gave her a smile, which she returned back.


'How could you be prettier than me on stage?'

'Well I am the almighty magnae of Super Junior, aren't I?'

She huffed. He smirked.

She glared; he smiled.

'Even though Kyuyoung is pretty, you'll always be the beautiful one to me…'

She blushed.


As both of them became more and more popular, the demand for group and solo performances were increasing; the traveling to different countries and the tight schedules did not give them time to be with each other anymore, just how they used to be. They would try making time to catch up with each other; ask how each other's day was and what's been going on in each other's lives.

They were trying their best to hold on to each other despite the growing fame and responsibilities; they were trying their best to hold on to their old selves.

However, it all took a turn when Hangeng decided to quit the group without any words; Super Junior was a complete mess–just right when they were on top of everything, they had to crash down so violently, and that violent crash made sure that everyone was affected.

When she heard the news, Sooyoung immediately called Kyuhyun, asking what happened and how the group was coping with the situation. He replied that they weren't okay and she was sure that he was trying to hold on his tears as his voice shook over the phone.

Later that night, they met at a park halfway to their dorms. That night was the first night he let his full guard down; it was the night where she saw the real Cho Kyuhyun and his feeling towards his group. Despite all his nicknames and his cold appearance, he loved–loves s and group to bits.


Hangeng’s departure.

His group’s Super Show 2 Tour.

Her group’s second album comeback.

Holding on was not enough anymore.

'I think we should just end this; you and I are getting too busy and it wouldn't do any of us good…'

She bit her bottom lip; she had felt that this was coming and she understood. She understood, even though the consequence would hurt her–hurt the both of them.

‘I understand…so let’s just stick with being friends, okay?’

They flashed each other a smile–a knowing smile that this was their only clear option; they could choose to be in a relationship where everything is uncertain, but they chose not to because they wanted the best for each other.


It was one of the days at the end of the year where both of them were attending an end of year music show, just like every other year since they debuted; spending the last few days of the year performing for the crowd and celebrating new year in studios.

This year it was different though; their company was debuting a new boy band and as very nice and supporting sunbaes that they are, they were to perform with some of the members in the special stage.

At the end of the stage where all of them came together, she did not realize that she was standing next to him, and was surprised when he passed a microphone to her, as if offering her to sing. She held the microphone and seemed ready to sing, but instead, she did her imitation of an air guitar, which emitted a laugh from him.

It felt strange to be doing this again as friends because they were exactly the same before, except that they were a couple. She almost did another imitation before she remembered that his girlfriend was a couple of feet away from them and was probably watching them and Sooyoung immediately felt a rush of guilt and embarrassment wash over her.


Years later, when they were back to ordinary people–no longer Super Junior's Kyuhyun and Girls' Generation's Sooyoung, she received a wedding invitation as she clutched her aching back,

'He knows the perfect timing,' she smiled as she read the wedding invitation

'You are cordially invited to the wedding of Cho Kyuhyun and Song Qian..'