Chapter Three

Destined Secrets

Chapter Three


"Wow, your mom really is the best. How can she even think of throwing her child into a strangers' house to spend a loving anniversary with her husband?" Ah reum joked sarcarstically as she walked side by side with So min at the classroom's corridoor. So min shrugged because she was already over it. When she heard the news, she was in such utter disbelief that she shut herself in the room afterwards. But after a full night of thinking about it, she realized she couldn't do anything about it and had accepted her fate.

Her fate of having to stay in a complete strangers' house.

As well as her fate of having her unique mom.

She blew air into her bangs as she dropped her shoulder dejectedly. Ah reum noticed it and reached out to pat her back a few times. "I'm sure she has a reason for doing that..Maybe she knew that you will be slacking your off alone at home, so she wanted to make sure you study?" Ah reum tried to comfort So min. "Oh my–Don't tell me she's sending you there to punish you for your grades? What if the family–Mr Jung? Mr Jong whateverWhat if they make you do all their housechores?" Ah reum suddenly panicked by herself but So min had already given up and walked into the classroom. 

"I guess we'll just have to see tomorrow," So min replied in a bored tone.

"Oh right! How about your confession? Did you planned out how you're going to do it already?" Ah reum caught up with her and whispered teasingly as she elbowed her. Ah right, the confession. It was already the last day of school for the year which is supposingly the last chance for So min to confess if she want to. In fact, So min did already thought about it briefly the night before. She figured that simplicity is the best and she would have to go with the simplest way of confessing.

That is by a letter and words.

"Yeah..sort of." So min answered as she walked to her seat and put down her bag. Ah reum followed after her and sat on the seat beside her as she quickly moved her chair to her.

"So how? How are you going to do it? When are you doing it?" Ah reum asked excitedly as she inched closer and closer with each question. So min bit her lips as she looked at Taehyung who entered the classroom with a wide rectangle smile as usual, waving to his friends. He walked over to his seat and plopped himself down as he turned his chair to face Jungkook who was seated behind him.

"What are you doing?" Taehyung asked curiously as he peeked at Jungkook's phone. Jungkook shrugged and continued to use his phone with his cheek resting on his hand as per usual. 

"I don't know, probably after school." So min said while keeping her eyes on Taehyung. "I can't believe you're really doing it. It's been a year and I'm so glad for you my friend," Ah reum beamed as she threw her hands around So min while pulling her closer. So min smiled back slightly but in reality, her heart was throbbing in her ribcage and she was really afraid of rejectiom.

Time seeemed to pass by forever for So min who was seated at the back as she continued to bore holes through Taehyung's back. She was thinking of all kinds of scenarios that might occur in her brain. But she felt another pair of eyes staring at her, causing her to turn around and look around the classroom. It wasn't until her eyes landed on Jungkook who was looking right back at her. Feeling as if she got caught red-handed, she instantly ducked his gaze and pretended to look at her books. 

The bell rang and it was the break time, causing So min to heave a sigh of relief since she made it through half of her torture. Most of the students had already left to the canteen to eat. Ah reum came over as she knocked on So min's table.

"Let's go to the canteen to get sweet and sour pork! They have it on the menu today!" she suggested happily as she waited for So min to pack her stuff.

"Sure," So min replied.

 

"So Min, wait for me at the staffroom. I need to talk to you," their teacher cut them off. There goes our plan. So min groaned mentally as she looked at him. It was the camel again. He was talking to some of the students who decided to ask him questions. She sighed and looked at Ah reum, shooking her head. Ah reum breathed out, dispirited but nodded.

"I will pray for you," she whispered before leaving the classroom. So min decided to walk over to the staffroom first, hoping that he would release her early if she went early.

 

When she reached the outside of the staffroom door, she saw a familiar figure in the staffroom that caught her eyes. What's he doing here?

Jungkook was walking to a table with a stack of papers on his hands. The staffroom was empty and So min realised that all the teachers must have left for lunch as well. She unconsciously stood outside and monitored what he was doing instead of walking in. Jungkook carefully placed the papers on what she noticed to be Miss Ji An's table. Ah right..he was the economics rep. So min almost face palmed herself for forgetting that and thinking that he was skeptical.

However, she frowned when he started acting strange. Jungkook looked around the staffroom suspiciously and started to stooped around. What's he doing now? He was looking at the stuff on Miss Ji An's table which was relatively strange of him since he could have left after doing what he needed to.

Looking around again, he bent down to take up what seemed to be a photo frame. So min raised a brow at his actions. hang open as she watched his next steps.

 

He took out his phone to snap a quick photograph of the photo. How strange. What is he doing? 

With that, So min quickly hid when she realised he was coming out from the staffroom. After he left, she questioned herself as to what he was actually doing. But then she realised that the last time she caught him looking at her in that specific gaze yesterday. It was the kind of eyes that her parents used to look at each other. She gasped when she realized the piece of puzzles fit together. Could it be that...

 

He likes Miss Ji An. 


Luckily, So min was left off the hook by the teacher. He only talked for about fifteen minutes regarding how she should focus more during lessons and to stop daydreaming. So min pretended to be listening when in fact, all she could think about was the new discovery that she made just now. Oh so that's why he has been rejecting every girl.. So min thought to herself while popping one of the sweet and sour pork into during the last few minutes of break.

 

"Have you lost your soul after the camel roasted you?" Ah reum snapped her fingers hard in front of So min.

So min blinked before she shrugged it off. She narrowed her eyes on Jungkook who was sitting a few tables away from them. However, Jungkook seemed to have felt it through his instincts because he turned and met eyes with her. So min shook her head at him when she thought of how he sneakily took a photograph of Miss Ji An's photo and chuckled. Jungkook caught it with his eyes and he raised a brow at her questioning behaviour.

After break, lessons resumed as per usual but time flies and soon, it was already the end of the day. With the final bell signalling for the end of lessons for the day, everyone was making boisterous noises as they chatted about what they were going to do after school while packing their bags. Screeching of chairs and tables could be heard as well since students stood up and left the classroom. Just by a few minutes, the classroom emptied by half.

So min, on the other hand, was deliberately packing her bags slowly as she watched Taehyung's every move. She didn't want alot of people to be in classroom when she talks about her feelings. Ah reum tapped her shoulder and told her that she will be waiting for her outside of the classroom and left as well.

When there were only a few people left in the classroom, So min could finally muster enough courage and walk over to Taehyung who was still at his table packing.

 

"Hey," 

"Oh So Min, what is it? Do you have something to say?" Taehyung asked as he took out the books from underneath his table and arranged them, not focusing much on So min. So min gulped as she didn't really know how to act or how to garner his attention since what she was about to say was important.

"Erm..I have something to tell you," she stated the obvious. Taehyung hummed and cast her a glance but he continued to pack the books into his bag as he waited for her to talk while he packed. So min purposely waited for him to finish packing before she drop the bomb. Taehyung would spare her a few glances while packing but he did realise that she was patiently standing and waiting for him as she fidgeted with her hands. How cute, he thought to himself as he bit back a smile.

After he was finally done and zipped up his bag, he threw one of his bag strap over his shoulder and looked at her. He cocked his head to one side as he smiled while staring at her. So min quickly lowered her head as he looked at her intensely.

 

"Why? Didn't you say you have something to say? I'm done, you can say it now." 

He gestured himself to be free as he smiled back at her. So min cracked a smile as she continued to touch her fingers. She zipped her bag open and took out a letter as she gestured it to him politely. Taehyung gave her a questioning look in return, as if asking her whether it was for him. So min nodded shyly. Taehyung took it and looked back at her. 

 

"Can I open it now?" he asked. So min nodded as she looked away.

He opened it with a quizzical look plastered on his face to reveal...

 

A number.

His eyes travelled back to her as his expression grew even more perplexed. "What is this for?" he asked again.

"The thing is..You see..I have–" So min continued to trip on her words and she bit her lips.

 

"I have been liking you since the start of the year," she breathed out with her eyes shut. When she heard nothing in response, she finally opened her eyes. Taehyung was staring blankly as he had an unreadable expression on his face. So min's heart was on the verge of breaking but in her mind she was telling herself to not jump to conclusions. Wait for his answer. He hasn't said anything. The words seemed to have finally gotten to Taehyung when he broke into a smile suddenly, returning to his usual self. He chuckled slightly and folded back the paper.

"Me? Why me? I'm not smart or anything–" he asked So min.

"No! You're perfect! You're smart, cute–You're everything a girl would want!" So min instantly corrected him desperately, causing him to widen his eyes at her words. He was bewildered yet amused since he never knew that was how a girl would see him. Especially not from his classmate So min. 

 

"You actually think so?" he teased back. So min nodded without any hesitation.

"How I wish that was how she would see me.." he muttered under his breath as he looked down. "Sorry? What did you say?" So min asked since it was too soft for her to catch it. 

"It's nothing," Taehyung smiled back in return as he lifted the paper to her and gave her the charming smile again. "Thanks for this," he said before slotting it into his back pocket casually. "But I'm sorry to–" 

"Taehyung, let's go now. It's late," Jungkook interrupted their conversation by throwing a crushed paper ball onto Taehyung's bag. Taehyung turned around just to see Jungkook leaving the classroom already. 

 

"I need to leave now," Taehyung gave an apologetic smile and ruffled the back of his hair. 

"What? Then what about what we're talking about?" So min asked back, eager to know his answer. At least reject me if you're not going to accept me, don't leave me hanging!

 

"I'm leaving!" Jungkook's voice from the corridoor could be heard. So min groaned when she heard him voice. That jerk just have to interrupt at the wrong timing!

"I'm really sorry! I'll reply you another time!" Taehyung said quickly before he rushed out of the classroom as well. 

"But when's the other time...It's already the last day of school.." So min said, dejected because she realised that she will never be able to get over him at this rate. She ruffled and messed her hair up as she groaned in frustration. "How am I going to focus on my studies? It's all because of that jerk! Can't he just wait for like two more minutes?!" she squealed in desperation.


While walking out of school, Jungkook noticed how troubled Taehyung looked. It was rather obvious since Taehyung was always a happy-go-lucky it was rare for him to be walking in silence and without a smile. Jungkook purposely bumped into him by the shoulder, causing him to snap out of his thoughts as he apologised half-heartedly.

 

"What is it?" Jungkook asked him.

"It's nothing," Taehyung brushed it aside, causing Jungkook to frown because Jungkook knew exactly what was bothering him at the moment. He probably knew almost the whole story even though Taehyung said nothing since he was smart enough to catch what happened in the classroom previously. "Is it about the girl who confessed just now?" Jungkook asked again.

 

"You mean So min?" 

Jungkook nodded, realizing that he didn't mention her name even though he knew her name. 

They grew silent again as they walked on the streets leading to their home. Jungkook was getting slightly irritated that it was silent since he was used to Taehyung telling him about his stupid stories all the time even though he stayed silent.

"You're going to reject her right?" Jungkook asked to break the silence.

Taehyung's ears perked at his voice since it wasn't usual for Jungkook to be asking so many questions in a day. When he does that, it means that he was interested in the topic. "I think so.." Taehyung agreed to answer him. 

 

"You're not over her yet?" 

"I don't know, but I'm afraid that So min might feel bad if I reject her." Taehyung sighed as he kicked a stone on the way. Jungkook shook his head at his friend. His friend was way too kind to be hurting others. In Jungkook's mind however, he felt that it was definitely unecessary to be thinking about what others might feel because why concern about others when one couldn't even take care of oneself. How he wanted to tell those to his friend but he figured that his friend would never understand.

 

"You know what? I have an idea if you want to reject her without hurting her," Jungkook blurted out while walking.

Taehyung stopped in his tracks when he heard that but Jungkook didn't wait for him as he continued on his way. Taehyung caught up to him and looked at him, intrigued at his friend.

"What is it?" Taehyung raised his brows.