Chapter 4

Heart Beat

Double update - please read Chapter 3.5 if you haven't done so already :)


                "Call for the RRT—call the RRT!"

                Sanghyuk sat frozen in his bed as he watched the convulsing man lying in his doorway.

                Then his body jerked, diving from the bed before skidding to a halt right in front of the body. Dropping to his knees, trembling hands reached for the stranger. Despite the nurses trying to render aid, Sanghyuk grabbed him, entangling their fingers that shook from his tremors.

                Sanghyuk released a whimper.

                Then he was violently removed, a nurse blocking him from the patient. "Get back," she growled, causing a second of doubt.

                Then Sanghyuk's body moved again, his hands reaching as more healthcare personnel crowded around the man having a seizure.

                "I said get back!" she hollered, this time grabbing his shoulders and physically shoving him. Sanghyuk's eyes closed from the action, hands coming to his face.

                "No!" he screamed back, sniffling as he wiped at his cheeks. He hadn't realized he had started crying, wondering when he had become so emotional. Blinking teary eyes, he stared at the mess of people, all trying to help in some form. They had gotten the patient off the floor and onto a stretcher, racing out of the room and down the hallway. Sanghyuk gasped at the exit.

                Hands coming to join on his chest, he took an exaggeratedly ragged breath.

                A nurse rushed to him, cranking her head towards the others. "One of you—come here!"

                Nails digging into his skin, Sanghyuk scratched at his gown, hiccupping at the tiny splinters of pain. He felt like his breaths were cut in half and he wheezed as he beat at his sternum.

                "Stop that!" the nurses yelled, trying to restrain him.

                "It hurts—It hurts so bad!" Sanghyuk cried out in anguish, bones feeling as if they were cracking from the inside out, a tunnel of pain funneling around his body. He quaked in agony, groaning as he clawed at his chest.

                Then it stopped.

                 His head tilted up, a blue haze draping his vision. The noise fell out of the room, the holds disappeared and he was now watching a cloud in the sky, so close he could touch it. The breeze swept against his skin. Sanghyuk could feel eyes on his back as he spread his arms out.

                  "I found him."

                  Smiling, Sanghyuk fell into the arms of the nurse and they both slid to the ground. Her face screwed together. She brought her arms tighter around him, mouth opening in a gasp.

                "H-heartbeat! He has a heartbeat!"

 

-

 

                Warm, gentle hands caressed his cheeks. Pink colored his vision as he watched his lover put his forehead to his own, their breath mingling against their skin. He smiled, lips pursing as his throat worked.

                "I told you," his lover murmured against his mouth. "I told you."

                Nodding with a shudder, adam's apple bobbing as he pressed his mouth against the other's. "You left me."

                "And now I am here," was whispered in return.

                "He's awake!"

                "Taekwoon, honey. Taekwoon can you hear me?"

                His eyelids were heavy and the darkness behind his eyes was beyond enticing. But there were more insistent pleas, his middle sister's cries ringing out in the black. Fluttering, Taekwoon groaned and opened his eyes. He saw the face of his mother.

                Then he remembered the man—that man.

                "Whe… is he?" Taekwoon rasped. Then he whined, his world tilting.

                 He tried to sit up but two sets of hands pushed him back down. There were also needles beneath his skin and electrodes under his gown, connecting him to pumps and bags. Agitated, he reached up to rip at them but he was restrained further.

                "Don't you dare move," his mother warned, as if she'd box him over the head. Taekwoon stared at her.

                "Where is he?" This time he didn't move, but he felt the energy start to swarm, could feel their questions and their hesitation. His gaze moved to his sisters, then to their spouses as they all crowded the bed. Their puffy faces and their haggard appearances spoke volumes and for a lofty moment, Taekwoon wanted to ask what happened.

                Then he remembered.

                "You had a seizure."

                "Wasn't a seizure," he corrected. Then his eyes closed. "Where?"

                There was silence, the mechanical sounds of the machines pulsing throughout the tension filled room. Taekwoon made a face, starting to sit up.

                "Let me see him."

                "Who is he?" his father demanded, then softened his features. "Please, just… who is he?"

                Struggling against the weight of all of them, Taekwoon started to breathe deeper. His sister reached down and put her fingers to his arm.

                "We'll bring him. But you need to rest first—"

                "I can't lose him again," Taekwoon moaned, brow furrowing. He was starting to get hot, sweat prickling at his temple.

                "Again?"

                "Jesus, somebody get a nurse, see if—"

                "Is he awake?"

                All their heads turned towards the door, Han Sanghyuk leaning against the jamb. He was holding on to his IV pole and there was a crowd beyond him.

                "We tried to stop him," one woman voiced, Sanghyuk taking a slow step towards them. Taekwoon's family all just watched his approach, parting when he made it to the bedside. Releasing the metal pole, Sanghyuk met Taekwoon's eyes.

                Gazes filling with tears, they remembered together the very moment they collided, their love enveloping them until there was no need to move, no need to think. Their souls had met and melded, coiled until there was no beginning or end.

                The prince had found his guard, centuries later.

                Taekwoon blinked through his tears. He didn't look like him, but he knew he was staring at the man from his day dreams. The one who looked over his shoulder at Taekwoon, and jumped.

                Sanghyuk reached for Taekwoon's hand, fingers slipping against each other and the young man coughed into a sob. Taekwoon's nostrils flared as he watched Sanghyuk cry, bringing their hands to his chest.

                Taekwoon's eyes widened.

                Mustering up all the energy he could, he pulled Sanghyuk's to him, reaching up with the other hand, gently tugging on the younger man's earlobe. Sanghyuk just cried harder.  

                Fingers lightly curling around his ear, Sanghyuk held Taekwoon's wrist, rubbing his wet cheek against the other's palm.

                Drawing slightly, Sanghyuk let go and put his hand to the hospital bed. Ignoring the protests of both families, he easily laid alongside Taekwoon, weak arms coming around his shoulders. There were wires and tubes and it was a mess of inorganic material but they laid against each other for the first time.

                They laid against each other like they had done this before.

                "You finally found me," Taekwoon whispered and Sanghyuk swallowed against the knot in his throat, loud in Taekwoon's ears. He shifted slowly, delicately, resting his tear stained face against Taekwoon's chest, fingers curling into the gown. Taekwoon leaned his chin against the top of his head.

                 "I finally found you," Sanghyuk wept.


 

*blinks* I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I hope it helped explain why they both were having weird symptoms! Please, if there are any questions, do not hesitate to reach out-- I'll be happy to chat! <3 Also, I am always trying to be better so if you have any constructive feedback, please feel free to tell me! I want to know what I can improve on :)

 

Final chapter up tomorrow :D