Chapter 3.5

Heart Beat

19th Century

 

                Delicate fingers, soft with cocoa butter and rose water, danced lightly across his chest. The night was dark and the wind was relentless, howling beyond the castle walls.

                But they were warm inside, they were comforted against each other and when those fingers curled around his side, the guard exhaled. His weapons were leaning against the door, his clothes and armors shed on the way to the bed.

                The only place he ever felt at ease.

                "Just admit you love me."

                Lips quirking, the fireplace raging with orange, he cocked an eyebrow looking down at the head of jet black hair, short between his fingers.

                "Your highness…" he said gently.

                There was a slight guffaw, a puff of breath hitting his chest. "Yes?"

                The guard smiled at the crown of hair laying on him but stayed silent.

                "You know it's disrespectful to keep something so important from your prince."

                Twisting, his lover raised his head, catching his black eyes. Reaching up with both hands, the guard grabbed his ears, pulling him close. Noses brushing, the prince sighed against his mouth, pursing his lips as their bodies relaxed.

                "I already know it to be true. So why not just say it?"

                into the young man's mouth, the guard evaded the question.

                Pulling away, the prince grinned, shiny lips reflecting the yellow from the fire across from them in the large palatial bedroom. He rested his head on the guard's own.

                "Luckily, I can tell in the way you watch me," the prince blinked into his lover's eyes.

                "Tis the duty of a personal guard," the other explained easily.

                "Then there is the way you smile at me."

                "I am but a loyal subject."

                "Surely, you can't refute the way you touch me."

                There was a pause, the prince's eyes growing until they closed with his widening smile. The guard simply answered with a smirk.

                "A man has needs."

                "Oh!" the prince roared, slapping at his lover's head, falling against him in the process, their laughter echoing off of the moist walls. Winter was unforgiving but inside, here they were safe.

                Settling back against the chest of his personal guard, the one who would die for him should the occasion ever arise, the prince closed his eyes.

                "Your soul speaks to me every night, whispers the secrets you keep," he murmured, swallowing roughly as he felt fingers curl into his hair, before tracing the shell of his ear.

                "I love you, my prince."

                Sighing, lips pursed against sweet skin that smelled of home. "I love you too. And when I leave this world, I promise I shall find you in the next."

 

-

 

                The following night, the kingdom was in mourning. Their prince, heir to the throne, had jumped to his death.


 

We finally get to see the prince and his personal guard :( Double update loves <3