Two

Sing For Me

Sing For Me

*****

Yuju awoke to the vibrations emitted by her phone as it alerted her of an incoming call. She slowly opened her lids and was met with nothing but darkness as the blinds to the room hang loose, giving the sun no chance of brightening the place, that is if it was still daytime because the last time she checked, it was already three in the afternoon when she decided to fall to her mattress and take a well-deserved nap.

With a groan, Yuju rolled to her side and retrieved her phone from the nearby bedside table. She didn’t bother to check who the caller was and rather, just shoved the phone to her ear, directly answering.

“Hello?”

“Yuju-ssi?”

Her face scrunched in turmoil. She held her phone away and saw that the call was from an unknown number, yet the voice sounded oddly familiar. She just can’t pinpoint as to whom it could be.

“Hello? Are you still there, Yuju-ssi?”

“A-ah, yeah. I’m here.” Her brain wildly scanned its list of all the males she has met in her life and how they sounded like, but she came up with nothing despite how good her memory is.

“May I ask who this is?” she finally said after failing to recognize the voice. It was disappointing for her, knowing she’s been so close to identifying the caller. The name just wouldn’t come out. It preferred to stay at the tip of her tongue, to her dismay.

“Oh, my bad. I forgot to introduce myself. It’s Jungkook. You remember me, right?”

Her heart skipped a beat. Jungkook was calling her. Jeon freakin’ Jungkook, BTS’ maknae with the perfect everything, and her all-time bias along with RapMon-sunbaenim. Yes, she was still a fangirl despite getting the chance to debut herself, but she just can’t help it. The fangirl gene stuck to her system.

Why wouldn’t I? She wanted to say but settled with a safer and more normal answer instead. “Yeah, I remember.”

“That’s a relief.”

There were a few seconds of silence before the lad from the other line spoke and she thanked the fact that they were talking on the phone rather than personally because she’s not sure if he’ll notice it or not, but she was already looking like a tomato with all the blushing going on. It’s a miracle she survived that time where she had to sing a few lines with him without getting all red and giddy.

“I’m sorry if I suddenly called, by the way. Were you busy?”

“Not really.” If you don’t count sleeping as a busy task.

“That’s good to hear, then.”

She’s not sure if it’s only her fangirl side kicking in, but she has this feeling that he’s wanting to tell her something, but he’s hesitating. He is still bit of a shy person, as what others would describe him.

“Where did you get my number? I don’t remember giving it to you.”

“Oh, yeah. About that…I actually asked Yugyeom to ask BamBam to ask Mina to ask Jihyo to give me your number.”

A smile graced her lips before a short chuckle came out of . “Wow. That’s a lot of asking.”

“It is,” he replied, also chuckling a little. She could imagine him rubbing the back of his neck out of discomfort and she wished she were there to see his cute reaction personally.

“Do you need something from me? I guess you calling out of the blue must mean something important,” she finally said, encouraging him to voice out his real reason for contacting her. It’s not like she wanted to get all of these over with. Honestly, she wants to talk with him more, but she’s scared that the longer they talk, she might become too obvious with her fangirling antics.

“Uhhh…about that…” There was a short pause from him and she reckons he must be carefully phrasing his next words in his mind, whatever they may be.

“Yes?”

“Do you remember that time we met?”

Yuju paused for a moment as she tilted her chin up to think. They’ve met? She can’t clearly remember. The last time she’s seen him, as she could recall, was when they both performed at KCon a month ago.

“KCon?”

“No, the steak house.”

That’s when it hit her. Of course, how could she forget? She embarrassed herself to him, and it’s all because of her unnie who couldn’t even admit that she at grilling meat. She noted to make her unnie pay for the humiliation she suffered.

A hint of a blush went up her face as the memory of what happened that night replayed in her head. Somehow, she wished she could have made it up for him by insisting to buy the iced tea he declined. Come to think of it, she’s never repaid him for that little accident.

“Ah, yeah. Sorry about that.”

“It’s fine. It was just iced tea. Besides, it’s the reason why I’m calling. You do remember what I said, right? When I told you that you could make it up to me.”

Well, now that she was reminded of her past misfortune, she felt the responsibility to make up for it. He must be needing her for something, a favor perhaps, so she nodded her head as if he could see and voiced out a low yes.

“Great. PD-nim will be thrilled. I just need you to help me.”

There was excitement in his voice and despite her not knowing exactly why, she could feel the same emotion boiling inside of her. Maybe it’s because her ultimate bias (along with Namjoon-oppa) is asking her a favor or maybe it’s just because she’s really just empathetic in a way. Whatever it may be, she’s not complaining.

“May I know what I need to do?” she asked, trying to mask the thrill she was feeling as she kept her voice low to sound composed. On the inside, she was squealing and overflowing with frenzy.

Jungkook grew quiet for a second or two before he let out a short breath and answered, “It’s simple, really. You just need to sing for me.”

~~~~~

If not for the crowded hallway of their company’s building, Yuju would have found herself skipping across the hall as she made her way to one of their meeting rooms. It was still morning, around ten, and she, along with the rest of GFriend’s members, have just arrived for their daily practice when her manager informed her that she’s summoned by their CEO for a meeting with others whom he did not mention. She knows though. She knows who’ll be there and that’s why her once sullen mood after having to wake up early due to the neighboring unit’s noise completely disappeared and was replaced by pure glee. Ever since Jungkook made the call, she’s been thinking nonstop about the possibility that she may do a collaboration with him or may sing one BTS-produced songs. She’s not really into the amount of help it could do to her career, but she’s more into the fact that she’ll be associated with BTS, her favorite boy group (which she won’t admit on camera).

“Good morning,” she greeted as she approached one of their managers who was waiting for her by the entrance of the meeting room. It seems as though she was the only one they were waiting for. It somehow made her self-conscious, feeling a bit of hesitance engulf her system as she was ushered inside, the door spreading open by her manager. She reckoned that she didn’t have much of a choice anyway since she was already there. There’s no turning back.

“Yuju-ssi,” was the first word she heard once she stepped foot inside the room. It came from Source Music’s CEO, their CEO, So Sung Jin. She got the feeling that every time he calls her by her stage name, he’d always have that kind of softness in his voice, like a mellow tone. She thought that it’s mostly because he’s so fond of the given stage name since he basically intended for it to be the name of his future child, as he told them. It is probably one of the privilege she got by debuting as GFriend’s member.

“Good morning,” she said, not only to him but to everyone in the room, as she made a ninety-degree bow. While her head was hung low for a second or two, she could feel the gazes directed at her and it was making her nervous without question.

“Please, have a seat,” Sung Jin stated, gesturing to the only vacant seat as of the moment. The other three were occupied by him, BigHit’s CEO, Bang Shi Hyuk, and of course, Jungkook, who was sitting idly in the corner.

Yuju eyed the empty seat. It was beside Jungkook’s and the thought of pulling it farther to create more distance between them crossed her mind, but she opted to leave the chair be instead, as the action may seem disrespectful and rude.

She quietly settled herself, giving Jungkook a thin smile when he looked at her. She’s been looking forward to this day for days yet now that it has finally come, she’s suddenly feeling the urge to hide from them. It’s mostly because she’s still not comfortable with the fact that her dream before, collaborating with one of BTS members, is finally coming true, and it just had to be with Jungkook. How luckier could she get?

“Okay, shall we begin?”

~~~~~

The discussion regarding the upcoming project, a GFriend and BTS collaboration, went by smoothly as the two CEOs agree on almost everything. There hasn’t been a single conflict, and surprisingly, both members’ schedules match. Thus, the dates for the rehearsals, recordings, and video shoot was arranged without much hassle. Much to Yuju’s delight, the song they’re going to do was composed by none other than Jungkook himself. She hasn’t listened to it though, but she bet it’s going to sound great. The boy has talents beyond the ordinary.

“You look lost in thought.”

Yuju, who was staring blankly at the white wall of the room shook her head and turned to the owner of the voice, Jungkook. She was just thinking about him. She forgot that he was still inside the room as he refused to accompany their CEO when they left to retrieve the contract they’ll be signing later on. They were currently alone. Their managers weren’t allowed to come inside as they will only be informed of the agreed upon schedules separately by the CEOs, and it was killing Yuju softly.

Her palms were starting to sweat despite the air conditioner being on full blast. She was also shaking internally. Yes, she has talked with Jungkook before, back when they did the 97’ liner stage during KBS’ year-end show, but that doesn’t seem enough for her to feel that much acquainted with him. The texts they exchanged days ago also seemed so formal to her. She guessed that even though they’re the same age and is expected to get along like friends, there will always be that sunbae-donsaeng part of everything which makes her feel as if she should lower herself when it comes to the him.

“I was just thinking about something,” she replied after a while and he hummed in return, bobbing his head like he was satisfied with her answer when it was clearly just a vague one.

“How do you feel about the project?”

Yuju shifted in her seat. It was obvious to her now that he was trying to make small talk to avoid awkwardness between them yet here she was, making his efforts go to waste with her timid answers and gestures.

“It’s nice. I get to do another collaboration.”

“Ah, right. You already did a few before. So, I’m guessing you’ll be an expert at it then.”

Jungkook flashed her a smile and it made her heart skip a beat. She’s always a er for his smile. Thinking back, it’s probably his smile that attracted her to him during their debut days when she still used to admire him as a fan.

“I’m still learning,” she admitted. It is partly true. Amidst the experience she has in collaborating, there are still a lot the she needs to get used to, like being comfortable with acting, not being awkward with her partner, and much more she could mention but would choose not to.

“Uh-huh. Would it hurt if I ask you to teach me?”

If she wasn’t in the right mind, she’d think he was flirting with her, but of course, she has to face it. He’s Jungkook. He doesn’t flirt. Heck, he probably doesn’t even like girls that much, and most of all, who was she for him to flirt with her? She wasn’t that attractive as a woman and speaking through experience, boys easily feel intimidated by her may it be because of her stoic expressions at times or her weird ways in doing things.

Yuju faked a laugh despite the tension building up inside her. “You don’t need me to do it. You’ll get the hang of it in a snap.”

Jungkook let out a hearty laugh and it made Yuju confused on whether to laugh with him or not. It was not meant to be a joke after all. She wondered which part of her statement did he find funny or maybe he’s laughing because it’s the safest thing to do since he probably doesn’t know how to respond. She is kind of a boring person, even she would admit that.

“Wow, it looks like you two are enjoying yourselves,” Source Music’s CEO commented as soon as he walked through the door with his best friend slash music partner in tow. He was quick to say that considering that they only saw the two teens interacting the second they returned.

Bang Shi-Hyuk was holding a pair of folders in his hand and he carefully slid it over to both Jungkook and Yuju before he settled in his seat, reclining in it casually. “I don’t think you even need to read it, Jungkook. You did suggest Yuju-ssi here yourself.”

That caught Yuju’s attention. She didn’t have it in mind that Jungkook was the one who recommended her to their producer. She thought he only brought up the ‘make-up for the iced tea’ topic because they just happen to be paired up for a collaboration out of coincidence.

A smile threatened to escape her lips. The idea of Jungkook thinking of her when asked for a collaboration partner made her a thousand times happier. It officially made her day.

“I don’t think that goes the same for you though, Yuju-ssi. You might want to check on the terms and agreements in case you have a concern to raise.”

She nodded. This was what she liked most about their company and BigHit’s as well, now that she’s associated with them. They always give freedom to their artist may it be in their career choices or even in their romantic relationships. Well, it’s not like she has the latter, but still, it was worth mentioning considering that a lot of agencies now give dating bans to their artists. Also, here in Source Music, and probably BigHit, artists are treated like family. Their opinions matter and respected. The administration even provides more than what they could ask for. She was lucky she chose the right company. The same goes for the other girls and boys who works with her. Sometimes, at night, she would think what she must have been in her past life to get this much luck in her career.

They were both given time to go through the written contract and it seems as though Jungkook really did not bother to read. Yuju saw him from the corner of her eyes as she read. He was just skimming through the page, glancing at certain parts here and there with his pouted lips while bobbing his head every now and then.

She finished after five minutes or so and there wasn’t really anything in the contract that she deemed as a problem. It was well-written, and the terms and conditions were alright for her. The only concern she has in her head now is the question on whether what the song will be about although she has a feeling they won’t be doing crappy romance in the music video. She guesses Jungkook isn’t into that kind of thing.

She was awoken from her short reverie when a pen was handed over to her. It was from Jungkook. He was telling her to use the sole pen first.

She smiled gratefully. Such a gentleman he is…

She mouthed a ‘thank you’ before receiving the pen and inscribing her signature on where it should be on the contract. She handed him the pen afterwards and he, too, signed on his own copy.

“Okay, that’s about it for today. Do you kids have anything else to say, perhaps a concern or a suggestion?” Sung Jin asked, glancing at the two back and forth. Yuju gave a shake of her head as a no. Jungkook, on the other hand, grew silent, as if he was contemplating on whether to say what was going on in his mind or not.

“Jungkook?” Bang Shi Hyuk voiced out as he took notice of his boy’s dilemma. “Do you want to say something?”

“Uhh…” the lad fiddled with his fingers and played with his tongue for a second. Yuju could see he was feeling uncomfortable with whatever it is in he’s going to say. That made her feel the same by just a little. She wonders if his concern involves her.

“I was thinking. Could Yuju and I meet outside of the studio?”

Well, that answers her query.

Everyone, except Jungkook, had their mouths shut and eyes bulging. That was not what they expected.

“I mean not on a date or whatever it is you’re all thinking. It’s for practice. I was just wondering if we could rehearse on the song like in cafés or places like that.”

Steak house, he wanted to say but decided not to as Yuju might find him mocking her after that incident that occurred between them not long ago.

“I don’t have a problem with it,” Bang Shi Hyuk replied and he looked at his friend who merely shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s okay. You have to ask Yuju if that’s fine with her, though. From what I’ve learned, she prefers staying in their dorm than going out.”

Yuju still looked a bit lost when all eyes her. Now she has the final say on the matter? Weren’t the CEOs supposed to decide for them?

“Uhmmm…I guess it’s okay.”

If Jungkook was pleased with her reply, he didn’t show it. Instead, he gave a simple nod and settled back in his seat. No one even noticed the way he sat on edge while waiting for her reply.

~~~~~

“Hey.”

Jungkook really isn’t much experienced when dealing with girls but for some odd reason, with Yuju, he felt like he should strive to change that in his self. It was just a simple greeting, what he said, but it honestly shook every nerve in his body. He was just that nervous. The doubt on whether she was going to entertain him kept creeping up in his mind despite the fact they both know that one could never ignore the other out of respect which was a standard in the music industry.

“Hi.”

She offered him a smile and he couldn’t help but give one in return.

“So, about rehearsals…I was thinking of letting you hear the song this weekend. Are you free?”

He waited as she spent a while, thinking what she has planned for the particular date. His hands fumbled with the seams of his shirt on his sides, his mind screaming ‘please let her be free.’ On the outside, he’s trying not to give himself away. It’d be weird for her to see him flustered and desperate. He was a man after all. He has to act like it.

“I have vocal lessons on the morning of Saturday. In the afternoon, I think I don’t have anything scheduled. Will that be alright?”

That would be more than alright, he wanted to say but opted with a grin instead. It was then he realized that trying to act cool was one hard job especially when you’re collapsing on the inside.

“I’ll see you on Saturday then.”

She nodded her head before giving a deep bow to him. Somehow, he wished she would just stop that. Aren’t they already friends?

“It was nice having to talk with you, sunbae.”

And there’s that. Sunbae. Before, oftentimes, he’d always feel proud of himself when he hears others calling him that, but Yuju…it felt out of place. He deems ‘Jungkook’ as a better way for her to address him. She could even call him ‘Kookie’ or ‘JK’ for all he cares. They’re friends now, right? And friends shouldn’t be too formal with each other.

He was about to talk to her about it but as soon as he looked up to do so, she was already a good few meters ahead plus, her manager’s already there by her side with his also coming his way. That gave him the cue that his little talk could wait. They are meeting a few days from now.

Rather than growing disappointed, Jungkook let out a smile for himself. In one way or another, the thought of meeting Yuju alone sent a series of happy pills to his system. He’s not sure if it’s because she’s the first idol girl he’s interacting with or because she just has this effect on him by simply being herself. Whatever it is, he doesn’t care to mind as long as Saturday comes in a blink of an eye.

*****

This is finally out after such a long time. You guys don't know how frustrated I felt at myself with this story. I have so many ideas that I kept writing and writing only to redo everything because I didn't feel contented. Honestly, I still don't feel satisfied with this chapter as well. That's why I decided to make this story longer. It won't be that long though. Tell me what you think and suggestions would be appreciated if ever you guys have any. Also, please do look out for an upcoming chapter of 'Collide.' It's coming out soon and let me tell you this. Quite a lot will be in it. I'm about to drop bombs, y'all. Hahaha.