Going bat crazy

Ahgase Dream Season 2

 

Youngjae had never seen a baby bay before. That was probably why the little flopping creature had caught his attention. Because if he had known what a baby bat looked like, he wouldn't have gone near it. But that's besides the point.

 

The baby bat was actually adorable and from what he could see, defenseless. It couldn't even fly, which struck him as odd. He felt bad if he actually left the bat there, but at the same time he didn't know how to care for a bat. But still…. Against his better judgement, he used his jacket as a makeshift bat catcher and scooped up the bat and took it home with him.

 

To say his roommate wasn't happy to have the bat at first was an understatement. The 25 year barista carried on a lecture for about 2 hours going on and on about what they couldn't care for a bat. Yet in the end, they kept it and researched how to care for it. That was about 4 weeks ago.

 

The baby bat was stronger now and trying to learn how to fly and it was the most cutest thing Youngjae had ever seen. “Mark Hyung!” he called. “Come watch this!”

 

From the other room Mark groaned and set down his headphones, then got up and headed out to the living room to see what Youngjae was going on about. “What’s it doing now?” He asked and peeked over at it, he had to admit he was quite intrigued by the small creature that was flailing about.

 

He didn’t want to keep the bat when Youngjae had brought it home, but if he told Youngjae no about nursing an animal back to health he would never hear the end of how cruel he was.

 

“He glided a little.” Youngjae said happily. “He jumped from my hand glided down onto the bed safely. It was so cute! I’m so proud of him.” Youngjae cooed happily as he picked little bat up and nuzzled his nose against it gently. “Soon he’ll be ready to be released back into the wild. Won’t that be great hyung? We’ll get to see him fly off and join his family members and become a productive part of his bat community.” he said proudly.

 

Mark chuckled softly and shook his head as he watched the boy with the bat. “It might not even want to leave you… You know that right?” He asked and leaned against the wall. “How many more weeks till he’s fully grown Jae-ah?” He asked curiously as he glanced at the bat and smiled lightly. He had grown quite fond of the little guy, he just didn't like it when he tried to make a nest out of his hair.

 

“Well until he can fly. Once he can fly, he'll be able to go out and hunt on his own.” Youngjae said softly and sighed. “He has to leave. He can't stay forever. He has to be a big boy bat and go make a life for himself. Find a nice lady bat and settle down and have a few kids.”

 

Mark nodded and then chuckled softly. “Just be prepared for him to stick around, that's all i'm saying. Animals can get really dependant at times.” He said and then smiled softly as he looked at Youngjae. “So he's only glided? Where did he glide from?”

 

“My hand to the bed.” He said and measured the distance from where he held his hand at to the bed. “Less than a foot.” he said and chuckled. “I would say another week maybe? Oh wouldn't it be cute if we released him on Halloween? His first day out and he could go trick or treating, maybe giving a few scares!”

 

Mark laughed softly and moved over to sit on the bed. “ Halloween would be a good time to let him go, maybe try and get him going sooner so he's good to go by then?” He asked as he held out his hand. “What do you do to make him glide like before? I’ll catch him this time.”

 

Youngjae nodded as he picked up the bat again and smiled softly. “I was holding him.and watch.” he said and grinned as the bat crawled over his hand and jumped from it and gliding downwards. “Look at him go!”

 

Mark grinned as he watched the bat, he bit his lip as he wiggled his fingers a little and clicked his tongue to get the bat’s attention. “Come on you can do it.” He said softly as he held both hands out for the bat.

 

The bat glided down carefully into Mark’s hand, soft noises leaving him.

 

“I love him! He's so cute.” Youngjae cooed pit happily, watching Mark with the bat. “Cute right?’

 

Mark nodded quickly and chuckled a little as he smiled happily, gently running his fingers over the bat’s wings. “very cute, he's probably the cutest bat i have ever seen.” He said and then chuckled a little.

 

Youngjae laughed and sighed. “Thanks Hyung, for letting him stay. I promise just another week or so and then he'll be gone.” he said.

 

Mark nodded gently and smiled softly as he got up and carried the bat over to Youngjae and gently placed it on his shoulder carefully. “Okay, one more week. But I’m holding you to it.” He said firmly as he pointed at Youngjae and frowned a little. “i'm tired of the mess he makes of my hair at night.” He grumbled. “As cute as he is i like my hair just the way it is.”

 

Youngjae smiled as he reached up and touched the little bat on his shoulder, feeling it’s claws clutching to his shirt so it wouldn’t fall off. Looking up at Mark, he smiled gently and reached up, ruffling his hair just because he could. “It’s already a rats nest. Don’t need bats in it too.” he teased with a laugh. “I’m going to put this little guy up safely.” he said as he turned and headed out of the room.

 

~*~Halloween~*~

Youngjae smiled as he held the bat in his arms, the little guy trying to flap around in his grip as he stood outside with Mark. “Well, the day has come.” he said a little sadly, eyes locked on the bat that he considered his son now. “It’s time to let you go. You’re going to be a big boy right?” he asked gently. “Be good and find a new bat family.”

 

Mark leaned against Youngjae and chuckled as he looked down at the bat in his hands. “I think he's excited to go~ “ He said softly and looked around at the kids that were running around in costumes. “No better time than now~”

 

Youngjae nodded and turned to look at Mark with a wide smile. He took a deep breath and loosened his hold, opening his palms for the other. He watched as the little guy bounced around before he crawled over and flapped his wings, taking off into the air. “Awe...but Xi!” he called out happily. “Be safe! Come back and visit with your new family!” he called after the bat, waving to him.

 

Mark smiled brightly as he watched the bat take off, he bit his lip and chuckled softly as he watched it circling around in the air above them. “I'm actually getting kind of emotional..” He said softly and shook his head a little.

 

“I know. We raised him. Our little baby. Now he's all grown up.” Youngjae got choked up and he covered his mouth. “This is a perfect day. Happy Halloween Mark.”

 

Mark nodded and hugged Youngjae tightly just incase he started crying. “oh my god please don't cry.. “ he said and then sighed heavily” it is a perfect day but please don't ruin it by crying you don't have a pretty cry face!”

 

Youngjae was going to cry because of the emotional moment, but Mark’s comment had him pausing before snorting. Reaching up, he smacked at the other before pushing him away. “Honestly hyung, you’re the worst.” he said and turned and headed back inside. He closed the door and locked it, locking Mark out as ‘punishment’. Maybe he would get lucky and a ghost would carry him off. That would truly be a happy Halloween.