Chapter 2

The Beat of an Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jack and Sunmi enter a small cafe round the corner from their apartment. They line up at the counter to order, and all the while, Jack is scanning the menu hung above the register. It's all in Korean, causing Jack to scratch his head. "I guess this area is very local." 

Sunmi notices his dilemma and grabs his arm. "Do you want me to read the menu for you?" questions Sunmi.

"Just tell me they have BLTs." Jack mused, glancing at Sunmi for affirmation.

Sunmi scans the menu board, and sees the letters 'BLT'. She points at it and slaps Jack's chest. "It's in English, ."

Jack looks up and scans the board. "Oh! I must have missed that!" he confesses, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's the only English up on that board, other than 'Menu'!" retorts Sunmi. Jack simply shrugs, and they approach the counter to order their food. Sunmi steps up to the register. "Can we get a BLT, a salmon and cream cheese bagel, a large Americano, and a large mocha please." 

"Sure! Can I get you anything else?" the clerk asks with a bright smile.

"No thanks, that's everything." Sunmi replies, getting her purse ready, but Jack has already pull out some cash, and starts handing it to the clerk. Sunmi notices it's a 5000KRW, and starts giggling. She grabs Jack's hand and lowers it. "5000 Won is less than 5 Euro, sweetie." cooed Sunmi, still giggling. Jack looks embarrassed and tilts his head apologetically at the clerk, she flashes a smile in return. Sunmi pays the bill and apologises to the clerk. "Sorry, he's new here, still hasn't figured out the currency."

"It's okay, happens more than you think!" the clerk chirps. "Have a nice day!"

The sudden English throws guard, and he does a double take as he's walking away. "I thought you said Korean people's English is quite poor? Her's seemed pretty good." Jack asks.

"Obviously not all of them, dummy!" she jests. Jack squints at her, and she giggles. He gives her a light tug on her ponytail and she let's out a yelp, causing Jack to laugh. Sunmi turns and punches him in the in the chest, and he clutches his chest, feigning injury. Sunimi flinches. "Ow! Are you hiding rocks under there?" Sunmi cries, grabbing her hand and shaking it off. 

"You're the one who hit me!" exclaims Jack. Sunmi pouts at him and hangs her head, at that moment Jack pulls her in for a hug, and she pushes him away and turns around, crossing her arms. "Miya, don't be like that. What can I do to make it up to you?" Jack comforted.

Sunmi turns and buries her head in his chest, and mumbles, "Maybe you can get fat."

Jack pulls her away, looking at her. "Sorry, what was that?"

"I said, maybe you can get fat, then maybe it won't hurt as much when I hit you." Sunmi explains.

"So you plan on continuing to hit me?" gasped Jack.

"No!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter