Part 2: What we could be, if you would just let me.

The things that we could be.

A/N: Sorry it took so long :( Enjoy!

 

It had been years, Seulgi reminisced. Years since she had seen Irene, years since she had last felt her touch. It didn’t feel as pain as it was before, she could still remember, she could still feel the heartbreak, but the pain had dulled over time. And she was happy - her career as an artist had really taken off, and she was in demand almost everywhere in Korea.

 

In fact, here she was right now - in front of her own art exhibit, that featured its own ferris wheel, with each of the carriers of the wheel featuring some sort of art piece she had made since she graduated. 

 

Granted, most of them was about Joohyun - she was her life after all, but Seulgi was happy to note the gradual change in her artwork - from a somber one to a more cheerful tone.

 

"Hi, excuse me miss, but would you mind coming on to the ferris wheel with me? It's a stupid dare from my friends, honestly. They said I couldn't get the pretty lady in sunglasses to go onto the ride. Pleaseeeee?"

 

Seulgi could have sworn she heard Christmas bells ring when she heard that voice. It was the same one that had comforted her in her darkest hours, the same one that had gave her the other half to her life. 

 

Okay, so maybe she had attended her own gallery incognito, with sunglasses, an artist's hat and a mask, but this was still her event? How could she not be recognised at her own event? And why was Irene even here anyway? 

 

Did Irene perhaps miss her as much as she did? Or did she just not know this was Seulgi's event? Knowing Irene, it was highly possible that she had been dragged along simply because she had stayed at home for weeks straight and her friends were desperate to get her out. 

 

And as Seulgi was still engrossed in her thoughts, Irene had took her by the hand, saying cheerfully, "I'll take that as a yes!" And dragged her back to her two coworkers. 

 

Seulgi was shook. Very, very shook. I mean, what were the odds of meeting Irene here? Not to mention that Irene didn't seem to know who she was?

 

"So, me and this pretty lady here will just get onto the ferris wheel for 1 round, which is a grand total of 15 minutes, and then you'll treat us both dinner, right?" Irene said.

 

"Yes, yes, now get on the next carriage or no deal, okay?" A familiar voice rang out. “Yeah, make it quick, we ain’t got all day!” Another one chirped.

 

Was that Joy? And Yeri? What were those two devils up to this time? Seulgi wondered. And again, before she had time to say hi, or wonder if this had been set up by the two, or time to ponder anything, in general, the whirlwind called Irene had swept her along into the carriage and the doors had swung shut. 

 

Oh lord. What was she going to do? Seulgi knew all too well how the ferris wheel worked. Heck, she was the one that designed it - a round trip of 15 minutes, with one piece of artwork in each carriage. 

 

Which artwork was it? Seulgi spun around wildly, only to see Irene tracing the outline of a portrait of a very beautiful girl - Irene herself. 

 

"Seulgi?" She heard Irene mutter under her breath. 

 

Seulgi froze as she saw Irene snap around.

 

"Excuse me, miss, but I couldn't help but think that you felt familiar - you even smell of citrus - would you mind if you kindly take of your sunglasses and hat? It'll be a huge favour." Irene says, smiling widely, and batting her eyelashes with a seductive stare.

 

Seulgi had seen that look before. It was the same one Irene did every time she wanted something from someone - after all, who could resist the Bae Irene when she her charm?

 

As if her hands were possessed by something (possessed by her undying love for Bae Joohyun), Seulgi took of her sunglasses and hat with trembling hands.

 

"Seulgi." Irene said. It was an even tone, void of any emotion, which just served to scare Seulgi even more. 

 

"Hi, unnie." Seulgi stammered.

 

"Sunbaenim." 

 

"Sunbae-? Oh. Irene-Sunbaenim." Seulgi corrects herself, bowing a full 90 degrees. 

 

"Is this your gallery?" Cold, hard, with a tint of steel in it. Seulgi was so screwed. 

 

"Ye..yes, Sunbaenim." 

 

“You’ve been busy.” Irene states.

 

"Yes Sunbaenim. I've been drawing quite a lot, and people quite enjoy my art." Seulgi internally congratulates herself for one whole sentence without stammering.

 

"Enough time to draw, but not enough time to look for me?" Irene swirls and faces Seulgi, her face a myriad of emotions - anger, shock, sadness, and one that pierced through Seulgi's heart - disappointment. In her. For not looking for Irene. 

 

"I...I..." She could hardly get the words out, they were choking in , but she composes herself and forces it out anyway.

 

"I did! I looked for you everywhere! EVERYWHERE!" It comes out in a torrent of emotions, and the lock in which Seulgi had kept all her buried feelings shattered into a thousand different pieces.

 

"I called you! Night after night after night. I messaged you on every account you had! Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Kakao, everything! I asked your friends where you were, only to get the same reply - off, Joohyun's done with you. I wrote letters! Page after page after page. I wrote my heart out, I poured my soul into those words, I gave it everything! And then what happened? Each one came back with a "return to sender" pasted on it. I didn't look for you, sunbaenim? Don't make me laugh. YOU didn't look for ME!"

 

And Seulgi broke down into a crying mess. It was just too much to handle. All the hardship, all the heartbreaks, all the emotions, they all came rushing back and she did not have time to breath. Irene was all that she had thought about, she had consumed her thoughts, fed her fantasies, fuelled her desires.

 

She had given it her all. She truly had. And to have the one that she loved, the one that she looked for, the one that she used to lean on in the darkest of nights, accuse her of not trying, for not lifting a finger to mend their broken relationship… It was too much. 

 

It was just too much.

 

——————————————————————————————————

 

Seulgi heard footsteps nearing her.

 

“Stop, sunbaenim. Stop playing with my feelings.” She whispered. “Please.”

 

“Do you want me to stop, Seulgi? Do you really want me too?” There was something in Irene’s tone that made her look up. It sounded broken, tired, and pitiful. It sounded like Irene was pleading. Pleading to come back. To fix what could have been theirs.

 

Seulgi looked up. Into Irene’s eyes. And what Wendy had said so long ago came rushing back - “Never look into Irene’s eyes for too long, you’ll fall in love with her.” And it was all true. Seulgi fell again. For in Irene’s eyes she saw everything she wanted to see, everything she wanted to have - Irene’s apologies, and Irene’s promises.

 

What we could be, if you would just let me.“ They screamed. And so Seulgi did.

 

“Just say it. If you want me to stop. I will, I promise.” Irene’s voice rang out again.

 

Seulgi shook her head. “I… I want you, unnie.” It came out, nothing more than a whimper, but Irene heard it.

 

And she was beside her, arms around her, whispering in her ear, “I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.” Her favourite fabric softener invaded Seulgi’s nose, the familiar scent making her feel at home, her warmth, her hold, everything just felt so right. In that moment, Seulgi swore it spanned an eternity, for she was happy, happier than she had ever been, happier than when she first wiped ice-cream off Joohyun’s mouth when they were young, but no where near as happy as the next instant, when Irene brought her lips towards Seulgi’s, and they both melted into what they had lusted for since the very start.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Okay so I originally wanted it to be much much longer, but I just couldn't think of things to write :(

I'll might update this with a continuation? But that's a huge might so please don't get your hopes up HAHA

Also, I'm working on another Seulrene fic now! It's more fantasy based, and I really hope you guys will enjoy it.

Finally, all comments are appreciated, and if you have any requests, or plots that you want me to try to write, just message me and I might try it!

Thank you for reading!!