Chapter 6

Catching Feelings

He kept his promise. He barely talked to me in class even if I caught him staring at me at times. He told me before that he was curious of me, because I never opened up to anybody. I can't accept him as my friend, of course. I love being an unsocial human being just like these past three years. I still couldn't forget that accident. Not until now.

"Ah! Where did I put my phone?"
He checked his pocket, bag, everywhere but didn't find it.

"Sora-ya, please help me."


I stood up and let him check my seat, even if it was nothing there. I checked my bag, but couldn't find his phone too. He seemed a bit depressed by scratching his head.

"Do you leave it in silent mode?"
"No, in vibration mode."
"What's your number? I'll give it a call then."


He took the phone in my hand and typed the numbers. A couple seconds later, we could hear something buzzing in the room. Somehow it sounded like it was near, but we could see it nowhere.


He handed me my phone and start checking all tables near our table.


I was helping by seeing underneath our table. Suddenly the buzz stopped. At first, I thought the time was up and I should make another call to keep it buzzing, but then his voice came in my speaker.

 
"Gomawo, Sora-ya."
He said via phone.

"Yaa! Do Kyungsoo!"


I yelled at him who was laughing because his trick to get my number was successful. I tried to wrest the phone from his hand while he was typing, but it was so easy for him to avoid me.


"What should we name it? Hmmm"
"Kyungsoo-ya, delete it."
"Sora with V. Ya! You should save my number too. Make it Kyung with V."

I exhaled heavily seeing his playful smile when he typed it.
"No problem. I'll change my number then."

"Don't you dare, Han Sora."
"What if I do then?"
"I'll come to you right away then, every night."


He said it in such a way that scared me a little. Did he just threat me?

"You know you promised me to let me see you. I haven't used it even after a month, right?"


I didn't have any will to answer it at all. I rolled my eyes and went back straight to my seat, followed by him. He was so clingy until I got used to it. No matter how much I whine, he just does what he wants and pretends not hearing me, so I just let him does what he wants. 


I opened my food container to eat some kimbap. My kimbap is so simple. It was filled with rice, omellete, sausage, and lettuce. It never changes. Without me offering it to Do Kyungsoo, he would take some.


"Why do you never change your lunch?"
"I just... Like it."
"Really?"
"Very much."
"Hmmm... If there's time, I'll try to cook you something different."
"Don't need to."
"I'll try to find some time for it, then."


He told me as he put his earphone on and laid his head on his arms which is resting on the table, eyes closed. I never know what he did after school until he became so exhausted in the morning, especially these past weeks. Everybody could tell that he's losing  weight too. He tried so hard to keep awake at morning classes, and when it came to the break time, he would use it to sleep instead, power nap said he.


I almost finished my lunch when Lim Hyunsik came to our table and tried to wake him up by shaking him softly. But it was just ineffective. He stopped his action after I throw a disturbed expression.

"Han Sora, I don't know you have forgiven us or not. But, I need to ask for your help."

I didn't say anything to him because I knew it wouldn't really matter for him, he came here to see Kyungsoo anyway.


He sighed before talked more to me.

"The student festival is coming within 2 weeks. You know it too, right? I asked this punk to perform and sing with some other classmates, but he rejected me the last time and ignored me since then. We're running out of time and we still don't know what to perform as the representative of our class."

I finished eating and saved my food container into my bag. Lim Hyunsik paid attention to my every move without leaving the serious expression on his face.

"Please ask him to perform, Han Sora. We need him."
He begged me with his pouted lips that made me frowned my forehead.

"Help us please."


I breathed calmly, and looked him in the eyes and gave him my only answer.
"He doesn't have to do anything as anyone pleases. Me neither."


Hyunsik was unable to add anymore words since the bell rang. It made him went back to his seat, just like the other students. They made some eye contacts with me signaling the same thing Hyunsik asked me to do. I cut off the contact and diverted my attention to Kyungsoo instead.

I kicked Kyungsoo's foot a little to wake him up. A smile rose up on his pillow face before he opened his eyes. He yawned and stretched his body and let out a typical moan you had after sleep.

"Gomawo."
"Next time set your own alarm."
"Believe me. You are more effective than that."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

My phone buzzed for the 5th time. It's still because of his text.


"Han Sora, are you doing our homework now?"
"Ah.. I forgot you must be at work huh?"
"Busy?"
"Ya, why are you not replying me?"
"Don't you dare changing your number!"

Because it's weekdays, so I can finish working at 9 p.m. I was tidying up my stuffs when Hyerim-eonni called me to her room beside the kitchen.

"Sora-ya, it's your half salary for this month."
"Gamsahamnida, eonni." I thanked her when I received that thick envelope from her beautiful hand.

"But, I forgot to transfer another half to your bank account, I'll do it tomorrow. Please check it, okay?"
"It's okay, Eonni."


Even if I haven't been running out of money this month, I think I could spend some, just to have fun with myself. Should I buy new clothes? Or watch a movie?


 I had those imagination where to spend my money while I went back to the kitchen. From the kitchen, I could hear a familiar voice from the front. Out of my expectation, I saw Do Kyungsoo was in the cafe chatting with Bokjoo-eonni from the glass window separating the kitchen and the counter.

"Han Sora, your boyfriend is looking for you."


I felt hot in my cheeks when she shouted it accross the kitchen and gapped me when I tried to sneak out to go out through the back door.

"Ugh he's not my boyfriend, Eonni. Just tell him to leave. I'll go now. Fighting!" 

I told her briefly and went out as fast as I can. 
I was looking around the narrow street behind our cafe and ran without making any sound as if it could prevent me to meet him. It was awkward because he was there looking at my action silently. 

He suddenly bursted into laughter and made me surprised.

He rubbed his nose before approached me by running.


"I'll do this everyday if you're not replying my texts." He said to me once he stood in front of me.
"I changed my number."
"Don't lie. You'll look like a fool."
"Ya! Do Kyungsoo!"


He just laughed at me. I punched his arms causing him pretending like it hurt so much.

"Waa your mood is good. It's an one in million chance."
"Tsk." 

Somehow he's right. I'm feeling good tonight. So I just walked leisurely and forgot about scolding him who came to the cafe without telling me before.


"First of all, let's get out of here." He took my hand and stopped a taxi that was passing near.

"Where are we going, Kyungsoo-ya?"

"Cinema."


Before I could speak any word he hushed me.

"That noona told me, you were receiving your monthly salary, weren't you?"
"Yes, what then?"
"Your treat, then."


"Take us to Cinema in Janghan-dong, Ahjussi."

He said happily to the taxi driver while teasing me with his super happy face. He repeatedly said "Ahaha" out of nowhere. I couldn't help but to laugh at his ugly face. Even if so, I really wanted to pinch his chubby cheeks somehow when he was laughing with his crescent eyes and that heart shaped lips.

Not until 15 minutes, we have arrived at the theatre. He paid the taxi, he said he just want me to treat him the ticket. We finally decided to watch Hugo, because the poster was so cool. It was only 5 minutes before the movie started, but he managed to buy nachos and soda before we got into the theatre. The theatre was almost empty, because it's the last show for tonight. Our seat were just perfect, in the middle of theatre.

"I haven't been here fo quite long time." I said to myself after I sunk in my comfortable seat.
"Try to come here more often at this hour. It's more comfortable." He said to me while slurping his soda.


We enjoyed the film, especially me because the lead actor was so cute and I couldn't help my self from commenting "cute" or "handsome" at some scenes. I tried to look at his reaction while watching film, he was watching so seriously while crunching nachos. 

I was trying to get some nachos, when I felt his touch. It was a slight friction between my hand and his, but both of us take our hands from each other spontaneously.
I could feel my heartbeat raced inside my chest, that made me drank my soda and restlessly fixed my sitting posture.

"Here, open your mouth." He whispered with nacos in his hand.

My hand was reaching it, but he insisted to feed me.
"Cheesy." I commented about the nachos and him. 

He was controlling his facial expressions from laughing, and ate another nachos instead.


Once the film ended, other people stood up and left. But, he was still paying attention to the moving text on the screen.

"Let's go now." Finally he agreed to leave the theatre.
"It's a really beautiful movie, isn't it?"
"Yeah, the actor is so handsome too. His eyes are so beautiful."

He rolled his round eyes and made funny faces while I was praising the actor. It made me laughing and hit his arm softly. 

We stopped a taxi to get home as fast as we can since it's late already.

"Can we wake up tomorrow? It's almost 12 a.m."
"Do you want me to wake you up? I'll call you later."

I couldn't control a sudden urge to stretch my lips into a blooming smile.
"Gomawo."


He took me home first and said it was nice spending time with me tonight. It's strange enough for me to feel so happy hearing that from him. A whole feeling tonight was so strange for me, as if the emptiness inside me was filled little by little.

"Next time my treat, Han Sora. Look forward to it."
" I will think about it. Bye, Do Kyungsoo."

I froze in front of him for a while before I pivoted my feet and walked towards my apartment.


"One more thing, Han Sora..."


His call made me stopped in front of the door, and faced him from where I was standing. 

 

"I am thinking to perform at student festival, if only you want to come with me.

His puppy eyes seemed so big and hypnotizing so that I couldn't let out any words. I never come to any student festival in my high school as well, so I really didn't know what to say. Leaving him in silence, I opened the door and ready to close it.


"Be careful on your way, Kyungsoo."

.

.

.

.

His question tickled my mind until I finished taking a bath and crawled to my bed. I took my homework and did it. Thank god it was a simple chemistry equations so I can finish it in a brief time.


My phone buzzed one more time while I was finding a perfect position to go to sleep. I reached my phone which I put on the cabinet beside my bed.


"Sleep well." I read what he said in the text.


I remembered his request before to reply his text. I sent "you too." and laid my head on the pillow. Not until a minute later, a message popped out again in the chat room.

"Have a nice dream with me inside o_oV."

The fact that I was smiling because of his text made me flustered even if I'm alone in my room. After seeing the numbers at my phone screen, I finally made up my mind and saved his numbers into my contact. I named it as he requested, KyungV. I never knew that my gloomy days would turn into bright because someone who I hated before.

I tried to calm my heartbeat and tried to close my eyes. 

 

 

 

 

And the movie we watched tonight was rewinded one more time in my dream. With him sitting there with me, side by side.