Chapter 3

Catching Feelings

He approached me slowly, eyes staring at his loose sweater on me. Of course he laughed funnily and made me feel funny at the same time.

He's chubby enough and I am more like underweight. Even he's not very tall like other boys, his sweater big enough to make me seem like drowning in that sweater.

"Don't laugh at me." I protested
"I laughed at my sweater, not you by the way. Of course it only fits me."

I rolled my eyes and sit down on the cement floor somewhere covered by the shadow of the building. He followed  by sitting next to me.

"I'm not that bad right?" He asked
I only replied with a blank stare at him. His thick eyebrows went up while his asking again "Hmm?"
"I don't know..." 
"Aaaah why? I was saved you earlier" He protested again with some disturbance in his face, staring at my blank expression with his eyes looking for mine.

He released a heavy sigh before started talking again.

"I admit... That I am quite manipulative . But it's only for fun. You'll know when you have close friends. Sometimes it's fun to give prank on them."

"But, I'm not close to you."
"I never give a prank on you."
"Well, what's this then..."

He hesitated for a moment, then he spoke again with a softer voice.
"I'm telling you truth right now... It's theirs."

I kept my mouth shut looking into his eyes that lock on mine. The were so hipnotizing and no hint of lie or doubt there. I cut off the eye contact and threw my sight to somewhere far away up beyond clouds.
The fact that he saved me from the bullies back then made me weak in front of him, nothing to fight back his words. I haven't even said thank you for what he had done for me, for the sweater, for this scenery, and 
.
.
.
.
..this peaceful feeling.

"You should probably thinks that my eyes are very bad right? It's because I can't see clearly. They're getting more severe day by day."

I looked at Do Kyungsoo once again without saying anything. He hesitated before he spoke about everything that I said in the recording, everything that he thought could clear up my mind about him. Do Kyungsoo used to be talkative like this around his friends, at least that's what I know this whole time. No wonder he could burst out words so much like that, leaving me focused with his deep voice which is full of intonation.

Feeling unsatisfied with my reaction, he waved his hand in front of my face to check whether my soul still there or not.

"You heard it all, right? Just feel free to ask, or even deny it. Anything?"
I opened my mouth, but then shut it again right away.
"Aigoo, you're really."
He stared at me, full of disappointment.

"Thank you, ..... and sorry, Do Kyungsoo." I finally let those words slip out my mouth with a soft voice, more like whisper. He didn't say anything, just proudly throwing smile at me.

I stood up right away and cleaned up my skirt a little. Only after a few steps towards the door, he stopped me by grabbing into my arm.

"I'm not finished yet."
"Do Kyungsoo, please..."
"One more thing I'm curious about... why do you hate me so much?"
"I don't know." I replied him with a useless effort to let go my hand off his.
"I will not let you go before you tell me." He blocked my way, waiting for my answer with me kept struggling to let go off his grab. 

Suddenly, we heard a voice coming from behind the door. It could be another person, could be an office boy or teacher.

Do Kyungsoo initiatively dragged me towards a small building near the corner. He opens the door and pushed me inside hurriedly. By the time he closed the door, we can hear the other door opened and it sounded like someone's getting nearer.

None of us made any noise inside the small room. I understood nothing from this situation, so I stood behind him and controlled my heartbeat, afraid if it was loud enough to make us get in trouble.
I could see him trying to peek through the keyhole. After understanding the situation out there he gave me signal to move far away from the door.

I just realized that something big square machine is in the center, about one meter high, and covered almost two third part of the room. So, only small space for us to walk on its edge towards the farthest side from the door.
The machine let out warm air, like the outdoor machine of air conditioner, but in a larger scale. I was standing there blankly when Do Kyungsoo took my hand to make me sit down beside him. 

"It's Jang Seosangnim." He whispered.
"Are you telling me that it's illegal to come here, Do Kyungsoo?"
"Well, actually... It's not if at break. But now we skip class and..."
"What do we do?"
.
.
.
"Waiting."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jang Seosangnim should take only 20 minutes to sip his coffee and smoke his cigarettes, but why was he taking more than an hour? 
"I'm going crazy, jinjja." 

I looked at her who looked so droopy for the past minutes. I took a peek through the keyhole once more to make sure that Jang Seosangnim still out there. We couldn't go out until he's gone or we'd get in trouble. Two students, a boy and a girl, here alone coming from the installation room. The idea's not so good to happen.
"Are you hot? Your sweats are raining" I asked her after sitting down beside her.

As usual, she only stared at me for a while without saying anything. I passed her my handkerchief in my pocket. She looked at it for a while and finally took it to wipe off sweats on her forehead until  her neck, lower down until her collar bone. I diverted my sight to somewhere else when sudden urge rose up to clear my throat. I held it softly as I can.

"I'll wash this later" she said.
"No, it's fine" 
"How could I? It smells." The pinkish color slowly shows up in her cheeks as well as her smile.

Is she just flustered by now?

I am a bit suprised seeing her like that so then a smile escaped my lips, out of my conciousness.

When she caught me smiling like a fool, I hurriedly turned my face into poker face.

"It's getting darker outside, right, Kyungsoo?"
"Oh that's... yeah"

She let out a heavy long sigh as she messaged her forehead lightly.

"Who knows this would happen." I sighed then shut my eyes, trying to inhale fresh oxygen left in this room.

"Not if you let me go before."
"I can't let you do that. You can meet him at the corridor as well."

Then finally we heard steps sound fading ended with a sound of door closing.

We stood up and raced to the door without making noise. Of course, I arrived first and checking through the keyhole one more time to make sure that no one was out there. When I opened the door, the wind brought fresh air I missed already. She pushed me out of the room so roughly almost made me fall down.
"Yaa!" I held my scream, worried if Jang Seosangnim still could hear our noise.
She made it out and stood there for a while, inhaling oxygen as much as she could. The wind made her shoulder-length hair dance in the air. It's so fresh yet I felt so warm inside.

I held myself from talking as I saw her enjoying the moment until she smiled and opened her eyes. Those bright eyes darkened when she looked at me. Before she was ready to scold me, I tried to divert her attention to the twilight sky.

"Look! The sun almost set! You don't want to miss it!" I ran to the west edge of the rooftop and grabbed on to the border wall. She followed me with a half run.

I was so immersed into the view and kept praising how beautiful it was; looking to the city from above. Some buildings started to turn their lights on and make the landscape even prettier. It's my first time seeing this even if I came here often, it's because I never went here at this hour. I took my phone from my pocket and recorded a video of it all, the sunset, the view of the city, and I accidentally moved the camera to her side, and stucked for a moment seeing her through my camera.
She even looked happier when I looked at her directly. She leaned forward from the edge of the border wall and made the wind flew her hair further.

"Be careful, Han Sora."
She just nod and smile with her eyes that shaped like crescent moon.
I was hipnotized and enjoyed the moment just like her, letting out my happy laughter.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. It's Hyunsik calling.
"Kyungsoo-ya, where are you? Why you didn't answer my calls?"
"I am going to class in a minute. Is class over yet?"
"Yes, it's over already. Don't take too long, okay?"
"Hyunsik-ah, please take Han Sora bag too with you. I count on you, please."
"Yaa! Why should I..."

I ended the call and gave Sora signal to go down and our class. We shortened the gap in our distance since it's already dark enough and there's no light.
When we got out of the pantry, we decided to take the elevator instead of stairs because there should be not more people using it right now.

"Han Sora,"
"Do Kyungsoo,"
We called each other in the same time and became awkward because of that.
"Ah you first,"
"No, I want to hear you first." She insisted.

"Alright, then.. I am sorry for getting you in trouble. I'll tell the others to stop their action. So, don't worry."

"Gomawo, Do Kyungsoo."
"Aigoo, never mind."

"And.... I hope in the future, you don't have to talk to me anymore, Do Kyungsoo."
I was surprised to hear her words by now.

"Why? I thought we have cleared up everything. Can't we be friends like the others?"
"I'm afraid I can't, Do Kyungsoo."
There's something in her eyes that made me have mixed feelings so I was unable to let out any word. 

The signal elevator finally rang, telling that we have arrived to the ground floor. She got out of the elevator first as if there was nothing happened. She's back to her stiff mode while I turned my expression into poker face when Hyunsik caught us going out together from the elevator. He slowly walking to our direction while taking my bag and hers.

"How can you both come together?"
His eyes gazed side to side from my eyes to her eyes. He was confused too why she wore my sweater.
I said nothing and took Han Sora bag from his shoulder, and handed it to her. She tried to avoid eye contact again,

"Gomawo, Hyunsik-ah." She said while fixing her bangs, then walking fast passing us.

Lim Hyunsik watched her, lost in confusion. He asked me about what was just going on with his facial expressions.
"Such an indifferent girl, isn't she?" I asked back.
"Yeah, more like weirdo to me."
He answered with some wrinkles came up on his forehead.
"Anyway, what happened?"

I smiled awkwardly when the thoughts slightly passing my mind, together with disappointment because of her last words back in the elevator. Somehow, I couldn't lie that I felt something tickled my stomach, more like butterflies flying there made me feel so high.
.
.
.
.
.
Ah what's this feeling again?