Chapter 1

Catching Feelings

It was the most shining and sparkling ocean I had ever seen in my life. Every body was following the rythm with their lightstick, waving to the left and right, left and right, continuously.


Pearl aqua ocean, they named it.


I was one of them, singing along with SHINee on their song titled Stand by Me while playing with my lightstick and clueless about my bias whereabouts. Actually, I was hardly standing in festival area and because of my short tiny body, I got smashed by other fans around me so easily.


Suddenly, everybody around me screamed so loud calling his name.
Don't imagine they'd call him in a cute way saying oppa while waving and throwing kisses. They jumped screaming 
"Onew-yaaaah! ONEW YAAAH!!!"
while giving their hands to the air hoping he will give them a high five, or slightly feeling his soft hands on ours.
I did the same, more like asking for help to get out of the crowd, to be honest.


Somehow, somebody touched my hand and grabbed it. I thought it was him, my ultimate bias, Onew, at first.
Then why all I saw is my teacher-like person standing there grabbing my hands and say "read the next line, So Ra-ssi."
I stunned by the view, confused about what he is doing here, in my.....
"So Ra ssi, you'd better read the next line or get out of my..." said my biology teacher, Hwa Jung seosangnim when he bangs the table with his wooden ruler.


"Seosangnim,..." shout someone out of the blue and make my conciousness shockingly back.
"... excuse me to go to the toilet." He cut the anger which come from our seosangnim and give some precious time for Choi Mi Ran, my friend who sits in front of me to tell me what line to read next.
"You better not cut my words anymore, Do Kyungsoo. Get off and finish your business quickly."


Kyungsoo does what he said so leisurely, getting off my class with hands in his pocket and staring at me through the window when he is passing the corridor, with his ugly round bad eyes.
"Are you up yet, Kim So Ra ssi read the next..."
"Crustacean are the next family we are about to learn. They had a unique features to protect them from predators..."


I finally read the next lines on my text book so my teacher got no chance to scold me anymore. He punishes me by not stopping me reading the rest of the matery till 5 pages later. If only the bell doesn't ring, I could have been reading it until whenever he wants, probably the whole unit.


And until that time too, whole class is freezing with no one dares to speak or to make the same mistake as I did before, which is to sleep at class.


"That's enough narration from Han So Ra today, and because we had wasted our brain to hear that, let give it practice later by doing activity from unit 3 until unit 5 on your workbook. See you on next class. Good afternoon"
He ended our class with another punishment, 15 pages homework for next two days which causing noise in my class with sighs, whines, and curses.
Everybody on my class starts blaming me for the homework before they get out of the class, also Cha Sun Hee who sits side by side with Mi Ran who looked at me with eyes full of hatred. Only Mi Ran pities me for what happened earlier and move her feet to sit beside me.


"Yah, So Ra ya, don't you dare sleeping at his class anymore. Just his class please, or we'll have many unfortunate event coming in our way."
"I'm sorry I didn't even know I'm sleeping, "
"When you came late this morning, he already had his blood pressure boiled. Plus, that one too... " she sighs.

"Lucky you, Kyungsoo cut the moment. He had been yelled at you three times before you wake up."
I respond to her words by seeing the empty chair across my chair but in the different table line.
You know, we're that back liners. Those who come late or come early but doesn't have that much attention to the class.
Or simply, those whose ranks are in the bottom.
The idea of thanking him if he comes back to the class, slightly pops in my head. If he comes back though...


"Not lucky enough." I said along my heavy exhales and put my head back to the tables again.
Miran does the same with her head facing me, her eyes turn to a sparkling ones when she asking with a whisper yet very hyped.


"What was the concert? Is it good? I watch your video on YouTube! That sicks! You finally see him! And them! Well at least you make your dreams come true! Meeting SHINee in person!"
We both raise up and chit chatting about last night concert. Basically, Miran's the only friend I made since we started this year in senior grade. She told me she is shawol too, but she is forbidden to attend the concert by her parents due to her lack of physical strength. Considering all of the fans who got the last tickets only had a chance to stand in festival area for three hours long. It somehow makes me exhausted (and thrilled for sure) until some hours later, even until now I barely feel my feet.


"I was standing there only watch and sing along, Miran ah. I couldn't help screaming when Onew passed in front of me cause I think I've seen an angel."
So suddenly,  someone moves a chair so noisily and make our ears shivers a bit, a thud sound coming along with a hiss.


"You're so noisy."
Kyungsoo said while sitting there, freeze for a moment, and start searching for his cap on his bag. 
"Now it's my turn to sleep, so don't you dare open your mouth again." Then he put his cap on his head almost covering his face, wear his headset and sleep on the chair facing the ceiling, crossed arms and one leg on top of another.


I was thinking to say thanks for what he did before, but seeing his arrogance just by now making my pride hurts a bit. I  grab my lunch container and send code by my looks for Miran to stand up. I'd rather having lunch on other place without him.
.
.
.
"I was false. A jerk wouldn't worth a thank you in a day. Sleep well, Do Kyungsoo."

 

"You shouldn't be so harsh to him. He saved you, if you remember." Miran tries to catch up with me while we are heading to the canteen.
"No chance, Miran. He just thinks he won."
"Won what?" 
"Won over me. And then I was like having debt to him to pay in the future."
"Nobody said that."
"His arrogance said that."


I was pissed off by him. I never like him, neither he does. Our senior year in high school has just started, and I still don't know what made us being classmates for three years in a row. As if there was an aura surrounding us to hate each other, even if  we didn't show it to everyone.


"Nonsense. Everyone knows you two are not in a good relationship, not even friends, you can say even though both of you always in the same class." Miran rolls her eyes and walk side by side with me now.

"Not even had a will to be. I just don't like his personality. He's just so drama you know. Taking all advantages of his golden face and voice. He's fake."
"What's wrong? He's handsome, famous, good singer, and..."
"Manipulative." I end her words and our walks when we arrived at canteen. We're deciding to sit in a small table in the corner with only two chair facing each other. I open my lunch container and offer some kimbap to Miran which she eat it right away with my chopsticks.


"Why do you hate him so much?"
"Why do you sound like other girls who like him?" I question her back.
"Ya! I don't. You know who I like for real. It's not him, it's his friend hehe." Miran answers and sheepishly grins.
"I know some times Kyungsoo stares at people badly, you know, his eyes, so judgemental. And how he ends his smile so shortly not even a moment. I hate people who is like that."
I tried to say to Miran, but she seems fully emerged into kimbap until full. 

"Ya! You don't hear anything I said, right?"
"I almost forget this is yours!" She hurriedly feed me one piece of kimbap. And our conversation ends there with me swallowing my self made kimbap which is always be my lunch.


We got back into our class as the bell rings telling that the break is over. Some of our classmates have returned to their chair and get ready for the next subject. Miran sits in front of me, pairing with Sunhee. She told me that it doesn't mean she doesn't want to sit with me, but I come late these two days, plus she suffered serious miopi, so she can't see the board clearly if she sits with me on the back row. I don't mind either if I have to sit alone in the back. I'm just being fine with that.


I take a look to Kyungsoo's chair, but he isn't there anymore, and I don't want to pay attention to him that much. Probably he isn't coming back yet. Or until the school ends.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow is never be same again for me. Since the first step I come into the building this very morning, trying not to come late again, everyone stares at me full of hatred. I could hear from some girls on the corridor, that I am the one. The one what? I've been asking. I drop by to my locker in the corridor in front of my class but then some girls from other class approach me and start scolding me. 


"Ya! Who do you think you are? If you want to bash Kyungsoo, you'd better move your feet from this school."
Said one of them who dyed her hair auburn and shorten most of her uniform.
"Excuse me, I don't know what you're talking about." I tried to speak nicely.
"Stop being manipulative, b*tch!" Curse another with a mimicking voice.
"Taking all advantages of what he has? Oh come on, it's just a saying of someone who doesn't have anything like you."
I become more confused of what they're saying. Oh wait, how could they said such words....


I just don't like his personality. He's just so drama you know. Taking all advantages of his golden face and voice. He's fake.


That's exactly my voice coming from one's handphone they  showed me  right in front of my face. I feel my eyes burning almost teary, either with anger or sadness or disappointment, when I realize it was my words, mine exactly, at canteen yesterday. With Miran.
"Han Sora, we'll get you beg to move from this school for being anti fans of our Kyungsoo."
"I didn't even..." I tried to defense myself
"We recorded everything. And don't you think Miran really wants to be your friend. Cause you got none!"
I held my tears that almost fall, and stick out my chin. They didn't even let me speak any words. They sshhd me and push me away, rough enough to make my uniform shirt got off of my skirt. 


I walk along their laughter until I arrive in front of my class door with my classmates crowding and laughing at me, including Miran. I stop for a while and see her eyes, she even makes a funny face to tease me. That even makes all of them burst into laughter louder.
They only stop when the bell rings and everyone get into their chair still looking at my every move with their teasing glares.


I sit at my usual chair, the most corner and the most back row chair. I can't even stand sitting there because it is still Miran in front of me. I don't believe she did such a thing. It was anger that makes my eyes teary, and it is also anger that holds the tears back.
I was blaming my self inside to really believe that one could be my friend, having same interests and such, and now I'm aware that it's all only in my imagination. 
I keep repeating to my self to endure this humiliation as long as I stay away from that jerk Kyungsoo. He really turned my life into nightmare this time, with all his popularity and acting all around. What a drama he pull me in! Anti-fans? I don't even what that means.


Not long after, our Mathematics teacher, Kang Sunmi seosangnim got in and greet us. As usual, she starts the class with calling our names to check who is absent today. Every name she calls, answers back her call except one.
"Do Kyungsoo,..."
Nobody answers. Her eyes move from seeing the name list and searching for Kyungsoo once more inside the class.
"Anyone has an idea where Do Kyungsoo goes?"
Everyone just look one another while I just look straightly tomy table blankly. 
"This punk skips my subject again. Should've told...."said Sunmi seosangnim before someone finally shows up at the door.


" Sorry, I'm late, Seosangnim."