Twice the Trouble (2)

Thirty Days is a Lifetime

 

 

“Byul-unnie?” Byulyi looked up from her book to see Seulgi staring at her.

“What’s up Seulgi?” Byulyi asked as she closed her textbook.

Pointing towards the open door, Seulgi said, “Yongsun-unnie asked me to tell you to come outside and talk with her.”

Byulyi raised an eyebrow. “Yongsun-unnie? Did she say why?”

Seulgi shook her head.

Leaning back on her seat, Byulyi could make out the figure of Yongsun standing in the hallway. Her smile was bright as she greeted back everybody that said hello to her. Before Byulyi could turn away, Yongsun met her eyes. She beckoned her over with the wave of her hand.

“Is she mad at me?” Byulyi whispered to Seulgi, not daring to tear her eyes away. Yongsun raised an eyebrow, but continued smiling nonetheless.

“I don’t know,” Seulgi shrugged. “Has any of your flirting been crude or rude lately?”

“Hey, I’ll have you know that my words are as pure as my intentions,” Byulyi argued.

Seulgi made a face. “Oh. That’s...good?”

“We’ll talk about this later,” Byulyi said as she stood up from her seat. “If she is angry, I don’t want to make it worse by keeping her waiting.”

“Good luck!” Seulgi cheered as Byulyi left the classroom.

Giving a quick wave goodbye, Byulyi stepped out of the classroom. She tilted her head when she saw Yongsun staring inside the room with an ambiguous expression, but her confusion faded into a grin when Yongsun turned towards her. “What a pleasant surprise, unnie. Did you miss me so much that you couldn’t wait for our council meeting?”

“Not exactly,” Yongsun said. “I need a favor.”

“Oh, really?” Byulyi leaned against the lockers. She winced when she accidentally bumped her head against one, but luckily Yongsun didn’t notice as she darted her gaze between the roaming students.

“I can’t say it here,” Yongsun claimed. “It’s something I need to talk to you in private.”

“That—” Byulyi briefly thought that she wouldn’t be able to joke about what she was hoping, so she decided to keep her answer vague. “That sounds pretty sketchy, unnie.”

“What, you don’t trust me?” Yongsun frowned.

Byulyi chuckled from how offended she sounded. “No, I’ll go with you. I’m just saying that if it weren’t me, someone else would have assumed the wrong thing.”

Yongsun let out a huff. “Whatever yeah, yeah I’m creepy. Come on and hurry up, Byul.”

Staring at Yongsun’s back incredulously, Byulyi wondered what Yongsun wanted to say as they scurried down the hall. Whatever it was, it must have been important.

“In here,” Yongsun called as she slid open one of the classrooms. Byulyi took a peek inside, noting that it was empty and most of the desks looked pristine. A new classroom, Byulyi figured.

“Are we allowed to be in here?” Despite her skepticism, Byulyi made herself welcome by sitting on top of one of the new desks.

“It’ll be fine as long as we don’t somehow ruin the entire classroom.” Yongsun slid the door shut to give themselves privacy. As the sound of the wood meeting the wall resounded, Byulyi was suddenly hit with the fact that she was alone with Yongsun.

It wasn’t like yesterday, where their conversation was brief and Byulyi had an escape route. That was completely fine, Byulyi told herself. As long as she didn’t act awkward, everything would be fine.

“I guess being an officer in the student council has its perks,” Byulyi said.

Yongsun laughed as she made her way towards the teacher’s podium. “I’m only the treasurer. It’s nothing to brag about.”

“What?” Byulyi drawled. “No way, I think your role is just as important as the other positions in the student council. I admit I’m probably being biased though.”

Instead of making a comment about unwanted flirting, Yongsun let out a hum. “It wouldn’t be the first time.”

Byulyi widened her eyes at Yongsun’s recovery. She felt the urge to laugh, not knowing how else to let out her sudden embarrassment. “So what did you bring me here for? You said you wanted a favor, right?”

“Right,” Yongsun nodded. “Out of everyone, you were the only one I could trust.”

“Really now?” Byulyi asked. “You couldn’t talk about it with Wheein or Hyejin?”

“Especially not them,” Yongsun stressed. She overlooked Byulyi, as if she could find the answer of her unspoken question by staring intensely. “Say, Byulyi. What do you think of Wheein and Hyejin’s relationship?”

“What do I think…” Byulyi trailed off as she bounced one of her legs in thought. “Well, I think their friendship is really sweet. Even though their auras might be different, they compliment each other.”

“I agree.” Yongsun turned around to face the blackboard and Byulyi furrowed her eyebrows when she heard the sound of scratching. She always hated the sound of chalk being used against a slate. “But have you ever thought of them—” She stepped aside and Byulyi froze when she saw ‘H+W’ written down. “As a couple?”

“A couple?” Byulyi repeated. “You mean they’re dating now?”

“No.” There was a glint in Yongsun’s eyes when she grinned. “Not yet anyway. I want you to help me set them up.”

“Wha-set them up?” Byulyi raised her eyebrows. “Aren’t their feelings strictly platonic though?”

“That’s what I thought as well,” Yongsun said. “But yesterday, Wheein proved me wrong. I actually believe she was trying to confess to Hyejin, but backed out at the last second.” She sighed. “Poor girl.”

She drew a heart around Wheein and Hyejin’s initials. “That’s why,” Yongsun continued. “I decided it is my duty as Wheein’s upperclassman to help her out. I am determined to make Wheein’s love life blossom!” There was something in Yongsun’s smile that made Byulyi think there was more to her motivation than she let on.  Byulyi wasn’t able to call her out however as Yongsun pointed the chalk at Byulyi. “And I’m going to need your help, Moon Byulyi.”

“Um, unnie,” Byulyi hesitated. “That’s a nice gesture and all, but I don’t think Wheein would like that very much. I feel like she would want her relationship to develop naturally.”

Yongsun crossed her arms and Byulyi had to strain her ears to hear her muttering, only making out the phrase “what a hypocrite.”

“What was that?” Byulyi asked.

“It’s nothing, just thinking.” Yongsun lifted her head. “Anyway, you’re obligated to helping me out. You owe me after all.”

“What?” Byulyi leaned back on her seat. “I don’t remember owing you anything.”

“That’s now how I see it,” Yongsun smirked. “If I remember correctly, you stole a cupcake from me and ran off.” She pretended to wipe away tears from her eyes. “I ended up never getting a bite from even one of them.”

“That was my reward for doing a good deed though!” Byulyi defended.

“You helped your teacher,” Yongsun pointed out. “Not me. Think of this as your way of paying me back.”

Byulyi groaned. “What?”

“Oh, come on Byul! Think of Wheein and Hyejin!” Yongsun sauntered towards Byulyi and settled her hands on the side of the desk. Byulyi tried not to think about how Yongsun’s hand was near her thighs. “Don’t you think they have great chemistry?”

“Of course I do,” Byulyi muttered.

“Then we should help them!” Yongsun insisted. “Don’t think of it as forcing them, but rather giving them a little push.”

Byulyi pursed her lips. “I don’t know.”

“Aww, for me?” Yongsun pleaded. She leaned forward, so Byulyi wasn’t able to look anywhere but in her eyes.

Flinching, Byulyi turned away. Oh no, Byulyi thought. She sighed. “Fine.”

“Good!” Yongsun clapped cheerfully. Byulyi could feel herself relax now that there was some distance between them. “You are now officially my partner in crime.”

Byulyi had a nagging thought in the back of her mind, telling her that this wouldn’t go well.

_________________________________

“Roses are red, violets are blue,” Byulyi read aloud. “And all I want is to be with you.” She fell silent, but Yongsun could tell that Byulyi was still reading judging by how Byulyi’s scanned the paper as a blush dusted her cheeks. It was a good look on her.

“Unnie,” Byulyi muttered as she set down the paper. “What in the world is this?”

“It’s a love letter I wrote!” Yongsun boasted. “Do you think it’s romantic enough?”

Byulyi opened and closed as she struggled on how to respond. She settled with saying, “You get mad at me all the time because I’m cheesy, but come up with this all by yourself.”

“I know,” Yongsun said. Rummaging inside her backpack, she took out an unused envelope and tucked the folded paper neatly inside. “You’re rubbing off on me to the point it’s scary.”

“I’m glad I have such a big impact on you,” Byulyi teased.

Checking for any witnesses on both sides of the hallway, Yongsun slipped the letter inside Wheein’s locker. “I guess that’s one way to say that you constantly annoy me.”

“Do you really think that Wheein is going to believe that Hyejin wrote that letter?” Byulyi asked. “It doesn’t…seem like her style.”

“Love makes you do embarrassing things,” Yongsun justified. “Besides, it’s too late to take it back.”

“That’s true—” Byulyi was cut off as they heard the sound of approaching laughter. Yongsun knew who it was and guessing by the way Byulyi’s face flashed in panic, she did too.

 “Oh no!” Yongsun hissed.  “We gotta hide.” Taking Byulyi’s hand in hers, Yongsun led them away from the noise and took shelter behind the lockers.

They both stuck their head slightly to take a peek, observing Wheein and Hyejin walking around the corner.

“There’s not a lot of people around this time,” Wheein commented.

Yongsun heard Byulyi hold her breath as Wheein fiddled with her lock. She blinked as Byulyi shifted, aware that Byulyi was pressing onto her back. This is no big deal, Yongsun told herself. Absolutely no reason for me to get distracted. This is fine.

“Obviously.” Hyejin was leaning against the lockers, arms crossed against her chest. “I know I would book it as soon as the bell rang.”

Wheein paused. “And yet you’re here with me.”

“Because you have choir practice,” Hyejin shrugged. “I’m not about to let you walk home alone, it’s dangerous.”

“Ooh,” Byulyi whispered in awe. Yongsun flinched, her smile tight. Byulyi was so close. Don’t panic, don’t panic.  “That was pretty smooth of her.”

Wheein giggled as she lightly shoved Hyejin’s shoulder. “How courteous of you.” As she finally opened her locker, the letter slipped down and floated down to the tip of her shoes.

“What’s that?” Hyejin asked.

Bending down, Wheein held the letter in her hands. “I don’t know.”

Yongsun and Byulyi watched in anticipation as Wheein tore open the envelope and scanned the paper. Hyejin read over Wheein’s shoulder, raising an eyebrow. She snorted.

“‘Your smile is warmer than a thousand suns?’” Hyejin repeated. “Now that’s a line.”

“Do they get heatstroke whenever they see me then?” Wheein asked.

Byulyi snickered as Yongsun bumped her head against the side of the lockers.

“That aside though,” Hyejin continued. “It seems genuine enough. Who’s crushing on you?”

“Hmm, let’s see.” From here, Yongsun was able to notice Wheein’s eyes widening. Wheein shoved the letter back in its package. “I don’t know, it didn’t say.”

“What?” Yongsun whispered. She swore she remembered writing Hyejin’s name on the bottom of the paper.

“Wow, a secret admirer?” Hyejin wrapped her arm around Wheein’s shoulder. “It was only a matter of time for everyone to start crushing on you.”

Wheein cupped her chin with her hands and winked at Hyejin. “Well, I am a vision.”

Hyejin laughed. “So what are you going to do?”

“What do mean?” Wheein asked.

“Like are you going to try to look for them and give them a reply?” Hyejin grinned. “I can help you if you want.”

Wheein scoffed. “If they didn’t write their name, it’s clear that they don’t want me to know who they are. It’s better I don’t date right now anyway.”

“Oh?” Hyejin tilted her head. “And why’s that?”

“I mean…” Wheein laughed. “I’m too busy with Yongsun-unnie and Byul-unnie right now!”

“Huh?” Byulyi blinked. “What is she talking about?”

Instead of telling Byulyi the truth, Yongsun grabbed Byulyi’s hand and ran before Wheein could say anything else.

_________________________________

“Unnie, have you heard?”

Yongsun lifted her gaze from her textbook as Wheein shot her a grin. “We’re inside the library.”

“It’s fine,” Wheein whispered and waved her head. She leaned closer and Yongsun pouted when Wheein’s arms covered the pages. “Have you heard the news about Byulyi?”

Yongsun hummed. “No I haven’t.”

“I heard that she was seen with Seulgi-unnie yesterday after school,”  Wheein said. “They were being really clingy towards each other.”

It took a lot of effort on Yongsun’s part to not laugh. Wheein decided to go with that plan after all, she thought. “You don’t say.”

Yongsun bit the inside of her cheek as Wheein looked at her confusedly. “You’re reacting to this pretty well.”

“Because they’re just rumors,” Yongsun shrugged. She urged Wheein to sit back in her seat and Yongsun lifted her book to hide her face.

“What makes you say that?” Wheein asked.

“Because—” Yongsun turned a page, though she wasn’t paying attention to any of the words. “I was with Byulyi yesterday.”

The librarian had to come over to their table to tell Wheein to stop yelling or they would be kicked out.

_________________________________

Wheein followed Yongsun to the student council room. “Does this mean you’re dating now?”
“Absolutely not,” Yongsun said. “I just said I was with her yesterday.”

“But how come you were with her after school?” Wheein asked. “You didn’t have a council meeting yesterday.”

Yongsun smiled as she patted Wheein’s head. “Don’t worry about it.”

----

[Author's Note:] The final part of this story is up next! I have other ideas, but just in case I run out you can always suggest ideas for the next stories.