Chapter 2

The 9 Princes of Goryeo

"What is it that we should talk about, Grand General ?" King Gongjo asked.

"King... Altough we've defeated the Khitan this time, we can't tell if they'll throw a sudden attack while we're away. I heard they have spies. They know our every moves, we've been lukcy this time we had more soldiers and more equipment than they had. I want to make sure you're protected while we're away and that they won't even reach the castle." Grand General Jeon said. King Gongjo hummed, touching his beard.

"Then what do you propose ?" King Gongjo asked.

"I propose we make an alliance with the people. We have trained youth from our compulsory army training. But you have to connect with them on another level, like they're part of your family so they won't even think twice before fighting to protect your palace. For this alliance to be strong and significant, I propose... A wedding." Grand General Jeon said.

"A wedding ? Between a commoner and a Royal Family member ?" King Gongjo asked, taken aback. It would be a first.

"Yes, King. It's the only way." Grand General Jeon said. King Gongjo sighed.

"Alright, i'll think about it and i'll talk about it with the Queen and then i'll talk a decision. Go rest now, you've worked hard." King Gongjo dismissed Grand General Jeon. The latter bowed the to King and left. King Gongjo was sitting on his throne, concerned. Such a marriage ? It's unexpected...

"Call the Queen and the first magistrate." King Gongjo yelled. A few minutes later, the beautiful Queen Han and the first magistrate Koo were standing in front of the King. He motioned them to sit. The Queen sat in front of his and magistrate Koo kept on standing.

"I called you for an important matter. Grand General Jeon thought we should marry off a Royal Family member to a commoner to create a significant alliance between the people and us in case an attack happens. I would like to hear your honest opinions on this matter." King Gongjo said.

"My... It's unexpected. But if it's for the Kingdom, I have no right to oppose." Queen Han said.

"Magistrate Koo ?" King Gongjo asked.

"Well... I'd say that it might be a wise idea." Magistrate Koo bowed.

"The biggest problem remains ; who will get married ?" King Gongjo said.

"First... I think Princess Choonha should be excluded as the husband should hold the higher position. Crown Prince Minseok should be excluded too, as a commoner can't possibly become a Goryeo Princess." Magistrate Koo said.

"Magistrate Koo's words are wise. You should choose amongst the Princes." Queen Han said. King Gongjo sighed. Which one to choose...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya ! Give it back to me !" Prince Baekhyun jumped helplessly trying to reach the flute stuck in Prince Chanyeol's hands.

"Hyungnim, I never knew you could be this cute." The latter laughed.

"Aiish ! Hyungnim ! Tell him to stop !" Prince Baekhyun looked at Yixing with puppy eyes.

"Ah, you guys play amongst yourselves. I'm taking a nap." Prince Yixing said, arms crossed, legs perfectly stretched on the table, eyes closed. Prince Baekhyun cursed under his breath.

"Ya, give it back to him. He's your hyung." Crown Prince Joonmyun hit Prince Chanyeol's shoulder with a smile. The latter pouted and gave the flute back to its owner.

"Hmph !" Prince Baekhyun sulked in a corner.

"Where's Choonha ? It's been a while since I saw her around." Crown Prince Joonmyun asked, arms folded behind his back.

"Hehe, she's too busy with Won-"

"AHEEEEEM !" Prince Chanyeol coughed at the right moment. Prince Baekhyun realized his mistake and hit his mouth with his fingers. Such a big mouth with so little filter... Prince Sehun laughed silently at his brother's silliness. Just then, King Gongjo made his entrance into the Princes' leisure room. They all shot up and bowed.

"I have a big announcement to make. One of you is getting married." He said, smiling brightly. The Princes were taken aback except the Crown Prince. He'd take any order from his father with big joy.

"It'll be 8th Prince, Sehun." He said pointing at Prince Sehun. The other Princes let out a big sigh of relief. Prince Sehun had to take a minute to grasp the reality.

"M-Me ?" He asked, stuttering.

"Yes, my son. We're currently looking for your wife, you'll be getting married soon." King Gongjo said.

"Y-Yes father..." Sehun bowed.

"There, keep on playing." King Gongjo laughed and left the leisure room. Prince Sehun fell right away on a chair.

"Wah... To tell that you'll be the first one to get married... Congratulations." Prince Chanyeol awkardly smiled, patting his little brother's back. Prince Sehun couldn't believe what was happening to him... Why him ? Why did it have to be him ? He always thought he'd meet the girl of his dreams and ask her to marry him... Seems like his dream won't become a reality any soon...

"Ya, you should be honored and happy Father is marrying you off. If he thought of you first, it means he thinks you're the best suited for marrying." Crown Prince Joonmyun said.

"Yes... It's great." Prince Sehun said leaving the room. He wanted to be alone.

"This little jerk... Tsk." Crown Prince Joonmyun shook his head. It was pretty silent in the usually loud room after this announcement... Except for Prince Yixing who was far away in dreamland and didn't hear any of the conversation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What bring you here so late ?" Lady Miran asked her brother, checking her reflection in the mirror.

"It was close." Magistrate Koo said sitting on a chair. Lady Miran stood up and sat next to him at the dining table.

"What was ?" She asked.

"The Grand General advised the King to marry off a Royal Family member to a commoner to make an alliance with the people." He said.

"He did ? Who did he chose ?" Lady Miran asked, worried.

"Don't worry. I made sure he didn't choose the Crown Prince and luckily... it worked this time." Magistrate Koo said.

"That's a relief... Crown Prince has to get married to my Yeonha no matter what happens. It's her destiny." Lady Miran said.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure it happens for sure. How great it'd be to see my niece leading Goryeo ?" Magistrate Koo smiled to himself, crossing his arms. What a beautiful picture for both of them...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wangho smiled to himself as he walked to her house. The simple thought of seeing her face brought instant joy to him... He reached the small house. But strangely, the lights were off. He frowned. That's strange... She said she'd be waiting for him. He knocked, knocked and knocked... No answer. He strated panicking.

"Oi, General !" He heard. He turned around and saw the old man living in the house right beside theirs.

"Uncle, do you know where Ryu Bona is ? She doesn't seem to be at home and neither her mother is... Do you maybe know where they went or when they'll be back ?" He asked, full of aniticipation. The sad expression on the old man's face. Didn't confort him. At all.

"This girl... she was sent off to get married today." He said. Wangho thought the sky had fallen on his head at that exact moment... He couldn't believe what he was hearing... No this is not possible, Bona is HIS wife !

"What ?... W-What ? Married ? To who ?!" He asked, in disbelief.

"To a Prince of Goryeo, General..."