Chapter 1

The 9 Princes of Goryeo

"General, let's go home now."

The tall man looked at the ground and smiled upon hearing those words. As he looked at the ground, he noticed something. A flower. A beautiful flower, standing amongst the corpses. It was shining, beautifully standing tall and eye-catching. He smiled to himself as he thought about her. He kneeled down and picked up the flower.

"Yes Kidong. Let's go home now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A young girl was standing by the window of her modest home, stirring some crushed herbs and flower water in a big pot. But her mind was elsewhere. She was being attentive to every sound, every move that happened outside.

"Why aren't they coming ?"

She thought to herself, stirring the potion heartlessly.

"Did something again ? Will he not come home today, too ?"

She couldn't help but think. She sighed and focused on the potion she was making again. Just then, she heard sounds of horses running. Her eyes widened as she looked outside the window.

"They're here ! They're back ! They're back from the battlefield !" She heard the villagers yelling. She gasped and ran outside, her heart beating like crazy. The whole village had already gathered outisde so it was heard reaching the front but she made it. She stood there, among the congratulating crowd when he appeared. Standing proud and tall on his horse, leading the soldiers following the Grand General. She felt a rush. She couldn't even hear the screams or the horses, he was the only thing that caught her attention and she felt like everything was going in slow-motion. Then, he reached her. Her heart started thumping ever faster. He smiled and took out a white flower that he gave her. She took it and bowed. She bit her lip. Her face was red from embarassment.

"Tell your mom i'm coming over for dinner tonight." He said. She bowed. He flashed her a last smile and left on his horse, running to the palace. She ran back home and let herself slide against the door, sitting on the floor. She sniffed the flower that he gave her and it made her heart fllutter. General...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The National Army has returned home !"

The doors of the Palace opened as the National Army entered, earning cheers from everyone. The King Gongjo himself came down to welcome them.

"Our courageous soldiers, you made us proud once again." King Gongjo said, with a loud voice. The Grand General Jeon and General Wangho came down of their horses and bowed to him.

"Our respects, King Gongjo." Grand General Jeon said.

"Come on, don't be so formal. We're friends." King Gongjo laughed. General Jeon shyly smiled, lowering his face. King Gongjo trusted Grand General Jeon more than anyone in the whole kingdom.

"And isn't that General Wangho ?" King Gongjo said. Wangho bowed to him.

"How is he ?" King Gongjo asked.

"His skills are remarkable, King. He reminds me of myself back then. Or an even better version of myself. I'd trust him with my whole army." Grand General Jeon said looking at Wangho with proud eyes. Wangho bowed his head, humbly.

"Is that so ? That's such a big compliment to receive." King Gongjo said.

"Over there King, I have some things to talk to you about." Grand General Jeon said. The soldiers bowed as the two of them left. The soldiers formally bowed to the Royal Family then were off to rest. They all walked out of the Palace together.

"General, we're going to drink together to celebrate our victory. You have to come with us. It's thanks to you that we won afterall." One of the soldiers said.

"Ei, how is it thanks to me... You guys go and have fun, I have somewhere to attend. Don't drink too much !" He waved and started walking. His footsteps felt lighter and his heart felt at ease. In a few minutes, he reached the small house he loved so much. He fixed his clothes and knocked on the door.

"Aigo, General ! You came !" A rather woman opened the door for him.

"Yes auntie, I just returned." He said and formally bowed.

"Ei, none of that ! Come here !" She said and hugged him. He felt a little startled but eventually hugged her back. She was watching the scene, hiding behind the kitchen door, smiling to herself. She walked over to them and bowed formally. After they all greeted each other, the three of them sat down around a small table to eat the plentiful meal they made for the occasion.

"Auntie, I wanted to take the chance and ask you... For your daughter's hand." Wangho said. She stopped eating and looked at him.

"Omo, my daughter ?! My Bona ??" She clapped her hands. Bona couldn't believe what she heard... Marriage ?

"Yes, auntie. I want to marry her if it's okay with her." He laughed.

"Of course it is ! Omo, i'm so happy ! Ya, say something !" The old woman hit her daughter's back. Bona shyly smiled. At the end of the dinner, Bona walked Wangho back to the door.

"I'll come back after tomorrow to see you, okay ? Take care of yourself and your mom." He said. She nodded. He was about to leave when she grabbed his arm. He looked at her with questioning eyes. She gave him a quick kiss on the lips. He was shocked. He looked at her.

"What's with the expression ? We're almost married." She smiled and closed the door, leaving him speachless. He laughed, dumbfounded. At this right moment, everything made perfect sense to him. She was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.