Chapter 2

A Song For You

Jaehwan and Daniel is now at the convenience store buying some groceries for Seongwoo’s celebratory event on Monday which is tomorrow as they planned earlier. They didn’t have a time to interact and throw a party to their friend for a job well done on his play. Jaehwan wanted to cook for Seongwoo his favorite dishes. However, Daniel on the other hand was getting random foods on their cart.

 

“Yah, Kang Daniel, what the are you doing?”

 

“Getting a lot of stuffs for Seongwoo-hyung!”

 

“Those are unnecessary things, and we’re just going to cook a pork stew, curry and mango float, his favorite dessert.” He objected as he picked some of the items that Daniel put on their cart. Some of those are strawberries, chicken s, pork & beans canned goods, and some junk foods.

 

“Hey! What are you doing?” Daniel argued as he brought back the items that Jaehwan taken out on their cart. The shorter guy insisted and took out the unnecessary items again. So the latter also, until the two started throwing the items and they were bickering. Jaehwan sighed on defeat and let the bigger guy do his thing.

 

“I’m not giving a share for that items though.” He exclaimed.

 

“Wait, Jaehwan-ie, can you cook?” Jaehwan taken aback on the younger’s out of the blue question.

 

“Of course I can! I’m joining cooking club either way,” Jaehwan confidently answered Daniel’s question. The younger eyed the latter in a mischievous manner. The latter smiled and did an aegyo spontaneously.

 

“Ewww, what was that for? Liar.” Daniel yelped and made a puking noise. The latter just glared to the younger guy.

 

“Hey, let’s have sleepover on your house later!” Daniel exclaimed.

 

“Why so sudden? And why my place?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious? ‘Coz you’re alone on your house. Also, so that we can prepare the foods early in the morning.” The bigger guy explained with an enthusiastic tone. Jaehwan thought about that also and he made an I-will-think-about-it gesture. “I knew you wouldn’t say no,” Daniel added with a teasing tone.

 

“Okay,” Jaehwan sighed in defeat. He felt like he was always the underdog between their friendship and Jaehwan doesn’t like it. But what he can do? He’s such a pure, innocent, quirky and he can’t just say no to people that was close to him. It’s just that he’s afraid that time will come when he needs help no one will there for him. But luckily, Daniel was like a monkey that was always clinging on him and like a lost puppy that was always following him. That’s what he liked from Daniel even though he’s irritated sometimes.

 

By the evening, Daniel didn’t went home and just proceeded to Jaehwan’s house. Jaehwan gave Daniel a questioning look. “I already texted mom okay. I still have my clothes on your house, duh.” Daniel argued and he immediately entered the house leaving Jaehwan with all their groceries. 

 

Daniel plopped down on the couch and put on the television. He scanned each channel and yet he can’t find a channel that suits his current mood. Jaehwan went directly to his kitchen and organized their groceries and he also do the dishes that wasn’t washed during lunchtime. He’s been doing that ‘coz Daniel was there but if Daniel wasn’t there he’ll probably do all the dishes tomorrow in the morning.

 

“Jae-yah! What do you want to do, watch movies or play games? Or maybe karaoke?” Daniel asked Jaehwan as he enter the living room with a slight teasing tone on karaoke part. Jaehwan looked at Daniel ready to murder him at the mention of karaoke. Jaehwan went to his room and he got his DVD collections. He let Daniel picked a movies or movies for them to watch the whole night.

 

“Hmmmm… Let’s watch these!” Daniel handed the DVDs to Jaehwan. He picked a horror movie and a cartoon movie. “Hey, aren’t we old to watch this one?” Jaehwan questioned Daniel while raising the ‘Tom and Jerry’ movie. “Yah, I love that one! And just in case if we ended up scared our asses off on that horror movie, we just need to watch cartoons.” Daniel replied with a toothy grin.

 

“Prepare the movie, I’ll get the snacks.” Daniel followed Jaehwan and he then put on the movie. The latter got some popcorn, potato chips and some drinks that they had bought earlier. The two positioned themselves on the mattress that was prepared by Jaehwan earlier while their backs are supported by the couch and they draped their selves on a thick fabric.

 

Their movie marathon started out okay but when the creepy sound wafted the room Jaehwan linked his hands to Daniel. Daniel chuckled at the latter’s action but they are still focused on the movie. The unexpected moment when the ghost revealed to the screen made Jaehwan yelp and involuntarily hugged Daniel. The packet of potato chips between them spilled accidentally.

 

“Aish, this kid!” Daniel unexpectedly surprised on Jaehwan’s sudden actions that both of them screamed loudly. They both looked at each other and they just laughed. Jaehwan paused the movie and cleaned up the mess that they made. They continued watching the movie intently not minding their position, Jaehwan hugging Daniel and Daniel arms wrapped around Jaehwan. By the near end of the movie, Jaehwan fell asleep onto Daniel. The younger got the remote, turning off the movie and didn’t move at all so that the older will not be disturbed. Daniel then positioned themselves comfortably on the mattress and he smiled as he saw Jaehwan peaceful sleeping face. He pulled Jaehwan in a hug and both of them fell asleep on each other’s arms.

----------
Around 5:00AM in the morning, Jaehwan woke up. He’s not that shocked at their position anymore since he was used to it since they are kids. He release himself from Daniel’s embrace and he put a pillow instead. Immediately, he went to the kitchen, put on his pink apron, preparing the food that they are planning to served for Seongwoo. He got all the items on the refrigerator and he started peeling and cutting the vegetables. He also finished washing and cutting the meat and everything is on his control (for now).

 

After he’s done with all the cutting and preparations, he put on the pan on the stove. Scratching his head, not knowing what to do next, he went to his room and got his phone and search for step by step procedure on cooking for some reason. Jaehwan wriggled his eyebrows for such simple yet difficult instructions he had to follow. The first thing he’ll going to cook is the curry and he is having a hard time on how to start. So he followed the recipe online, he sautéed the spices while he was humming some random sounds. He tried to cook like a chef but clumsily he fell some ingredients on the pan. He chuckled at his stupid acts and proceeded the next step. He added the water and the curry sauce, put on the veggies and the chicken meat. He decided to put on the chicken meat since they’ll going to have pork stew later on.

 

When the next step was to wait for the curry to boil and thicken. Jaehwan proceeded to prepare the mango float. The dessert was the easiest for him since he doesn’t need to cook something. He mixed the ingredients on a bowl and he was doing it confidently. He placed the graham crackers on a rectangular container and then the mangoes. He made three layered mango float and after he finished he placed it on his freezer.

 

After a moment, Jaehwan checked his curry. He closed his eyes as he open the lid and he was praying that it was okay. He opened his eyes and throw a punch on the air as his dish looks curry-ish. The smell of the curry wafted the room and on the other hand, Daniel woke up due to the tasty smell.

 

“Hmmm.. I smell curry!” Daniel risen up and went to kitchen.

 

“Morning,” he greeted the busy guy.

 

“Niel! Look at this. I cooked!” the guy on the apron excitedly said.

 

“It looks yummy though,” Daniel looked at Jaehwan with doubt and he took a spoon and tasted Jaehwan’s curry. The guy pause a bit when he tasted the food, he savored the food that he tasted and he laughed awkwardly to Jaehwan. Jaehwan, on the other hand, looking to Daniel intensely.

 

“Uhmmm… How was it?” Jaehwan half expectedly that Daniel will say good things.

 

“It’s not bad.” He said plainly. The older pouted. “You didn’t like it, do you?” he responded.

 

“How do I say it? Uhh, there’s something missing. I don’t know what it is but your cooking isn’t bad, promise.” Jaehwan tasted his curry and Daniel was right something was lacking.

 

“What will we do, now? What if Seongwoo-hyung doesn’t like it?” he said while thinking deeply. He didn’t notice that Daniel was already cooking their breakfast. Jaehwan is almost on the verge of panicking when his doorbell rang. “Jaehwan-ah, open the door will ya?” Daniel poked Jaehwan and he proceeded to his door. It was his aunt, Jaehwan ‘s eyes sparkled.

 

“Aunt!” the guy on pink apron hugged his aunt and he dragged her on the kitchen. His aunt left speechless as the sudden move of Jaehwan and what’s made her surprised the most is Jaehwan was cooking!

 

“What the hell was this, young man?” his aunt trying to understand the situation.

 

“Aunt, taste this please!” Jaehwan immediately get a small plate and served his curry. Daniel noticed Jaehwan’s aunt and he bowed to her politely and continued cooking. Jaehwan feed his aunt and she taken aback on the taste.

 

“Hey, what was that? Is that even a food? It’s too bland!” Daniel chuckled at Jaehwan’s aunt expression and laughed at Jaehwan. Jaehwan sent a death glare to Daniel. His aunt sighed and took the pan and carried it on the stove again. Jaehwan only watched his aunt do whatever she was doing on his curry. He was amazed and after a few minutes, she finished his curry.

 

“There, it’s done. It’s good to see you trying to cook though! It was good for a first-timer.” His aunt said and Jaehwan’s cheek redden.

 

OMG! It was your first time! You said you can cook!” Daniel exclaimed and later he keeps on laughing.

 

“I thought you didn’t believe what I said. Loser!” Jaehwan argued but his cheeks were still red.

 

“No extra sausage for you!” Daniel shouted at Jaehwan and sticked out his tongue.

 

“Stop it boys, okay. Let’s just eat breakfast.”

 

Daniel prepared the table and he served the food he cooked. While they are eating, Jaehwan’s aunt interrogated them about the mess that they made and also why Jaehwan was cooking. They explained that it is all for Seongwoo. Jaehwan’s aunt became interested because she liked Seongwoo a lot.

 

“Why not bring Seongwoo here?” his aunt asked them.

 

“This was a surprise, aunt.” Jaehwan lazily replied.

 

“If you have time bring him here. I didn’t saw him for ages!” Jaehwan eyed his aunt and if he bring Seongwoo on his place, Seongwoo will be treated like a prince while she’s scolding and commanding Jaehwan.

 

“And yeah, I will cook your pork stew later, don’t worry about it. I don’t want Seongwoo to eat some terrible dish.” She also looked at Jaehwan with a teasing tone. Her relationship with Jaehwan was like a bestfriend so they both didn’t bother about teasing and manners. Jaehwan can be impolite to her while his aunt just don’t care.

 

“Oh I forgot, good job Daniel! I love your cooking. I wish someone will cook good same as you.” Jaehwan’s aunt praised Daniel and she gave emphasis on the word ‘someone’ referring to the guy who cooked the curry. They both high-fived as they see Jaehwan bowed his head from embarrassment and shyness.

 

“I hate you both!” Jaehwan yelled at the both of them and he then proceed in the bathroom.

----------

The two guys now were on their school. Daniel brought his camera that he forgot to take from Jaehwan the other day. Daniel scanned the photos of Seongwoo and he keeps on chuckling about his face expressions and can’t help to amaze on his photogenic face. As they were on cafeteria, Daniel immediately ran to the nearest table as he saw unfamiliar guy that was on his camera.

 

“Who is this?” Daniel said accusingly to Jaehwan as he sat on the table in front of him. Jaehwan immediately blushed as he remembered how he took the photo and the guy on the photo. Jaehwan kept his mouth shut not wanting to tell Daniel.

 

“Yah, is this your crush? What’s his name?” Daniel shook Jaehwan and the latter just gave the younger an innocent smile.

 

“I don’t know his name. I just took that photo without knowing him.” Daniel looked at Jaehwan intently and giving him an I-know-you’re-hiding-something look. Then Daniel noticed Seongwoo on the far back of Jaehwan and called him. Jaehwan sighed satisfactorily because he was saved by Seongwoo’s appearance.

 

“Hyung! What do you want to eat?” Daniel stood up and went to Seongwoo. Seongwoo wrapped his arm to Daniel’s shoulder, called Jaehwan to follow them and they proceeded to counter.

 

The three guys were happily eating their lunch and they talked about what’s happening on their lives.

 

“By the way, I thought you have that party for me today?” Seongwoo asked the other two.

 

“Change of plans, hyung. Let’s just have a picnic later after class. This guy failed to cooked the food though so Jaehwan’s aunt was there to rescue and she’s preparing it now.” Daniel explained and he nudged Jaehwan beside him. Seongwoo laughed with Daniel and patted Jaehwan’s head as the guy pouted his lips.

 

“I’ll be late later though. The club has a meeting for this upcoming school’s fair week. You know, the highlight were always on us.” Seongwoo said without complaining since he liked being busy on what he likes to do.

 

“Nah, it’s okay hyung. That means, we have more time to prepare!” Jaehwan said with joy.

 

“Yeah, yeah. More time practicing how to cook.” Daniel deadpanned Jaehwan and the two laughed at Jaehwan again.

 

“Hyung, isn’t it the school fair will be three months from now?” Jaehwan suddenly changed the topic.

 

“Yeah, but the team really needs to practice and a lot of preparations are on the way. If you’re just on theater club you may understand it. Or maybe on the art and music clubs since we partnered with them all the time.” Seongwoo explained and Jaehwan replied with a weak smile. ‘It’s fun isn’t it’ he thought as he heard the word music from Seongwoo.

 

“Oh, shoot! Ah, Niel-ah, do you have practice later?” Seongwoo sensed the different aura on Jaehwan so he decided to talk to Daniel. He looked at Daniel with a ‘do something’ gesture and he glanced at Jaehwan.

 

“Ah yeah, yeah. But I’m planning to skip for our little party later. This guy is surely excited though. Ha.ha.” Daniel let out an awkward laughed. “Right, Jaehwannie?” he poked Jaehwan and the latter went back to reality from his melancholic daydreaming. “Yeah, yeah.” Jaehwan just smiled then the bell rang and that made Seongwoo and Daniel sighed at ease.

--------

It was exactly 3:00PM in the afternoon, the school bell rang. Luckily, it was the last class of the three. Seongwoo bid his farewell to his two friends and went directly to his club. He said that he’ll be late for 30 minutes, so the two guys had 30 minutes to prepare. They plan to have their picnic on the People’s Park since that place was the best place for picnicking and had the most people.

 

The two younger guys went to Jaehwan’s place and they are greeted by Jaehwan’s aunt. Both of them greeted her and Jaehwan kissed her on cheeks. The two guys then went to kitchen but they are both shocked on what they saw.

 

“Whoa!” Both of them exclaimed. They noticed that their food were already prepared in thermostat containers and neatly placed on a picnic bag.

 

“I already prepared your food. I knew you’ll come here rushing for those foods so I gave you so much help.” Jaehwan’s aunt said. Jaehwan winked at his aunt and gave her a two thumbs up while Daniel bowed and said ‘thank you’s on the woman.

 

The two guys changed their school uniforms into casual clothes. Jaehwan rummages on his closet and found a thin quadrilateral fabric for their picnic. “We’ll go now, aunt. Thanks for today!” Jaehwan said to her aunt. “Nah, it’s okay. Enjoy! And yeah send my regards to Seongwoo!” his aunt said as she waved goodbye to the two boys.

 

It was already forty-five minutes past three and the pair already prepared their mini picnic event on the park. Daniel brought his camera and he stroll around the park and took some photos. Meanwhile, Jaehwan was contemplating the area which reminded him the guy who was busking on the same park on the other day. He blushed suddenly just thinking about that guy. Luckily, he copied the photo on Daniel’s camera and save it on his phone. The owner of the camera forgotten about the certain photo and Jaehwan was glad that Daniel wasn’t interrogating him. Washing him away from his daydreaming, his phone rang.

 

‘Jaehwanie! I’ll be going now. See you later.’ It was a text from Seongwoo noticing him that he’s on the way. Jaehwan smiled and he then called Daniel. The two boys now positioned themselves on their spot and they talk nonsense to each other. After few minutes, Seongwoo made his appearance.

 

“Hyung!!!” Daniel and Jaehwan both shrieked and came to bear hug the oldest.

 

“Whoa, whoa. Can’t. Breathe..” Seongwoo barely said as the two sandwiched him. The two loosened themselves and they yelled out a ‘Surprise!’ on him.

 

“Awww. That’s a lot of food!” Seongwoo excitedly checked the containers. “And almost all my favorites!” his eyes glistened on the food in front of him. The two just chuckled at the childish actions of the oldest. The three guys continued on eating the foods and they talked about their certain events today.

 

“Oh. My. God!” Jaehwan shouted which made the two freaked out also. “We don’t have any drinks here!” Jaehwan said and immediately his phone beeped and his aunt messaged him that she forgot to put their drinks on the bag. “Aish, that woman!” Jaehwan cursed and he showed the message to the two guys.

 

“OMG! I forgot!” This time Seongwoo’s the one who shouted. “Why? Why are you guys shouting?!” Daniel didn’t kept his cool because he doesn’t had anything for him to be shocked and he’s slightly jealous.

 

“I forgot to text my friend to go here! I invited him because he didn’t went on our victory party after the play. Is it okay to invite him?” the oldest of the three asked. “We don’t mind, this was all for you though!” Daniel replied to Seongwoo and he gave him an eye smile.

 

“I will text him now and yeah I will just request him to buy some drinks on his way, so don’t worry about it now, Jaehwanie,” Seongwoo then fiddled on his phone and a minute later he showed Jaehwan the reply of his friend. “Great!” Jaehwan only said. The three guys continued their eating session and after five minutes, Seongwoo’s friend arrived on their spot.

 

“Seongwoo!” The guy screamed and the said guy perked his ears. He stood up and went to his friend getting the plastic bag on his hands which contained the drinks that he just bought.

 

“CEO Hwang! Great, you’re here! Sorry, I forgot to text you earlier.” Seongwoo greeted his friend and the latter gave Seongwoo a bear hug.

 

“Nah, it’s okay. It’s not a big deal Ong,” the new guy said to Seongwoo and he chuckled.

 

“Come on, you can sit here.” Seongwoo patted the space beside him noticing his friend to sit there.

 

“Hey guys, this is my friend, Hwang Minhyun.” Seongwoo introduce him to Daniel and Jaehwan.

 

“Here’s Daniel and that guy was Jaehwan,”

 

“Nice to meet you, dude!” Daniel let out his hand for a handshake and he smiled to Minhyun. Seongwoo nudged Daniel and whispered something, “He’s older than us, idiot.” Seongwoo then smiled to Minhyun.

 

“Oh, mianhe, hyung! Nice to meet you again, hyung!” Daniel shyly said to the newcomer due to his impoliteness and he let out a cute chuckle which made Seongwoo and Minhyun laugh.

 

“Jaehwan-ah?” Seongwoo called out for Jaehwan since he was just bowed his head and he noticed that the younger turned to his back making himself busy.

 

“That’s Jaehwan. I don’t know what happened to him but he’s not that shy. He’s actually the most hyper one between us.” Seongwoo explained and that made Jaehwan turn himself in front of them again.

 

“Ah, okay. Nice to meet you?” Minhyun offered his hand to Jaehwan. Little did they know, the small guy’s face was already red like a cherry tomato and his heart was beating crazy due to the guy named Hwang Minhyun.

 

A/N:

Hey there guys. Hope you enjoy this chapter. This story will have a super slow update (like I'm updating my other fic that fast LOL). I just watched Wanna One Go: X-Con and I love the NielHwan moments there Lol.  I almost forgot about this fic and I'm glad I watched that show.

 

I'm sorry if this chapter didn't meet your expectations or you didn't like it at all. Also nevermind some grammatical errors that I made there, it's hard to type on phone and I'm already tired to proofread what I wrote. Thank you for reading and please subscribe if you like the story. Love you guys :)