Chapter 1

A Song For You

JAEHWAN’S POV


Dark, deep and quiet. I woke up in the middle of the night after I felt that I was dreaming again drowning. It felt surreal, it feels like I was in the neck making me harder to breathe and I was in need of air. I dreamed again about that particular moment in my life. It was an unfortunate event that I want to forget but it keeps on bugging me again and again. I sighed deeply as I woke up from that dream, got up and drank a glass of water.

 

I looked at the clock and it was only three in the morning, I went back to my bed and tried to sleep once again. However, I can’t sleep after that dream. I browsed my phone and I decided to just sink into my music player.

 

It’s been a while since I stopped music. I never wanted to go back again into music or am I not? I was alone on this lonely house. After my parents died, my aunt will just visit me several times to check on me. She and my nephew are staying here the night sometimes especially when I’m having a psychologically and mentally break down.

 

Yeah, after that event I obtained mental and nervous breakdown. I became scared being on stage and being the center of attraction. It just reminded me how cruel the world to me. The moment I enjoyed myself on things where I’m happy, it costed the lives of the people that I loved the most. As I indulge myself into music, a tear just streamed down from my eyes remembering how I enjoyed music back then.

 

After few moments, I never realized that I slept for almost five hours. Luckily, it was Saturday and there was no class for now. I noticed someone who was in the kitchen and it was my aunt. When I went to the kitchen, I noticed that it was not only her that was there but also a guy.

 

“Oh, Jaehwan-nie, you already woke up! Come eat your breakfast!” it was my aunt.

 

I scratched my head and rubbed my still droopy eyes and went to the table. “Kang Daniel? What are you doing here?” I asked the guy in front of me who are now eating his breakfast.

 

“Yah, am I not welcome here? I help your aunt on preparing the breakfast. Either way, the reason why I’m here is because Seongwoo’s musical play will start in an hour and he just messaged us to come and watch him there and I must take you also.” he said while looking on his watch.

 

“He said that he texted you but you didn’t respond so I am here to fetch you.”

 

“What?! I didn’t noticed his message. My phone was dead.” I pout and I ate my breakfast. “Wait, didn’t you said that it will start in an hour?” he nodded and I became completely awake. I finished my breakfast in no time and took my bath immediately.

 

“Uh, Jaehwan-ah? Take it easy, okay, relax.” Daniel said as I changing my clothes grumpily.

 

“Seongwoo already reserved a seat for us, so don’t bother yourself if we’ll be late. Besides, he was only a supporting role so we can catch him up on stage.”

 

“Okay, okay. I finished preparing though.”

 

“Aunt, we’ll off to go. Thanks for the breakfast.” I said and gave her a peck on her cheeks. Daniel bowed to her and we proceeded outside.

 

“Wait, I forgot my camera. I’ll just go get it on home.” I nodded and he immediately went to their house.

 

Daniel was only my neighbor by the way. We’ve been friends since we’re kindergarten until now that we were in university. We met Seongwoo-hyung during high school, he was a transfer student and he stopped studying a year so we three became good friends. We was lucky to have almost the same schedules this year also.

 

Seongwoo-hyung was on performing arts club, he really likes being on stage. Why not right? I mean he can act, he can sing, his dance was topnotch and especially his visuals. He’s such a complete package guy, yet he only got a supporting role on his play which is already great for the fact that he’s still new. Daniel, on the other hand, was on the basketball team. I was convincing him to join the dance club since he got the moves! Yet he still chose to be on the varsity team rather than his passion, such a moron. He’s a good athlete though.

 

While I’m here, I still don’t have a club. I’m not good in anything though (except music) so I still can’t find a suitable club for me. I wanted to join the cooking club because I wanted to learn how to cook since I’m living alone, but I’m still hesitant.

 

“Yah, wake up, Jaehwan-ah! You’re on your own world again.” I came back to my sense when Daniel flicked my head. “Ouch! Aishh…” I exclaimed and I started chasing him.


In not more than thirty minutes, we finally reached the theatre hall and we’re so surprised in the huge amount of people.

 

“We’re on the seat #237 and #238,” Daniel said and we started looking for our seats.

 

“Whoa, Seongwoo-hyung managed to get us a good seat!” Daniel exclaimed.

 

We positioned ourselves and the play already started. The musical play they had was excerpts on the tale ‘Robin Hood’. Oh how I miss my childhood, enjoying these kinds of fairytales. I’m still in awe on how powerful the voices of the actors. I was into the play while Daniel was complaining on when does Seongwoo-hyung part will come out. I glared at him and focused on the play once again.

 

“Omo, omo! There’s Seongwoo-hyung!” the guy beside me was excited and brought out his camera and took a lot of photos of him.

 

Seongwoo played as the sidekick of the main character, Robin Hood. When he came out, I heard a lot of wows from the audience. I felt proud being a friend of him and some people shouted how handsome he is. Daniel glared on the direction of the loud voice.

 

“Aish, they’re too noisy. They must focus on Seongwoo-hyung’s performance not only his face!” I shrugged my shoulders and just patted my bitter friend.


The musical ended with all the casts onstage with their final musical piece. As always, Seongwoo-hyung took the spotlight even though he’s not the main role. A huge and loud applause were given by the audiences and some standing ovation. Daniel and I then proceeded to the backstage to meet Seongwoo.

 

“Seongwoo-hyung!” I shouted and ran over him and gave him a hug.

 

“Congratulations, hyung. You did great!”

 

“Nah, it’s nothing. Thanks for coming by the way,” he flashed a smile towards us.

 

“Hyuuungggg~ let’s celebrate!” Daniel hugged Seongwoo-hyung and carried him slightly.

 

“Good idea though, but the team has a victory party later on, so I can’t hang out with you guys.”

 

“It’s okay, hyung. Just enjoy, we’ll celebrate after that. Maybe tomorrow or in school on Monday!” I said as I saw Daniel pouted while looking sad.

 

“I like that,” Seongwoo-hyung just answered. Daniel’s sadness reduced when hyung said that and pat Seongwoo-hyung’s hair for no reason.

 

A moment later, Seongwoo-hyung’s colleague was calling him and excused himself. We said our goodbye to him and then Daniel and I went to have a milkshake.

 

While we are eating, Daniel phone rang showing that someone’s calling.

 

“Hyunbin-ah? What’s up?”

 

“Niel-ah, Coach Kim demanded a practice now. Please come on the school’s gym now.”

 

“Why so sudden? I’m with Jaehwan right now…”

 

“He said that we’ll have a practice game with the next city’s university varsity team this coming weekend. You know that coach doesn’t want to lose.”

 

“Can I skip for this once? I’m too lazy—“ he heard someone yelled at the other line and he was daunted.

 

“Coach is getting mad right now, come here now or else you’re dead! And send my regards to Jaehwan. Bye.” Daniel became stiff and he looked at me worriedly.

 

“Who’s that?”

 

“Hyunbin. He said hello to you.”

 

“Yah, just go, I heard someone yelled and I guess you have some appointment with your team,”

 

“Yeah, we have a practice session now. I’m sorry, I will leave you alone.”

 

“It’s okay. I can handle myself, don’t worry,"

 

“You sure? Then, I’ll go now. See you later,” Daniel got out of the shop and he will probably go to school now.

 

Since it was still five at the afternoon, I decided to visit the music store. I’m looking for some Damien Rice’s CD if they already have it. I didn’t bought his album the last time they had it, so I’m hoping that they had right now.

 

I’m a huge fan of him, actually. I can say that he was one of my music influence. I really loved his style on singing and he have put too much emotion on his songs. How I wish I can still sing like him but I already put myself into rest. I now only enjoyed listening to music and I already forgot since the last time I sang excluding the humming that I always did while I’m on shower.

 

“Lucky…” I just said out loud when I spotted Damien Rice’s ‘9’ album. I went to the counter and paid for it. I am having a huge smile as I go out on the store and I decided to just visit the park and wait until the sunset and if I’m lucky, I can also enjoy the view of it.

 

While I’m strolling around the park, I heard a strumming of guitar. I was froze on my spot because it’s been a while since I heard the sound of guitar after I stopped playing it. I was stunned on how beautiful it sounds, it doesn’t matter what note is that but I was tempted to see where it came from.

 

I stopped when I reached the picnic grounds, there are quite many people in there. I came closely on the sound and I realized that someone was busking in this area. Upon reaching there, I found out that the guy was singing 10cm’s What The Spring? He was now on the final chorus as I heard he sang the bridge part.

 

"...bomi geureokedo jonnya meongcheongideura
(Do you really like spring you fools?)

beotkkochi geureokedo yeppeudi babodeura
(Are cherry blossoms really that pretty you idiots?)

gyeolguk kkonnipeun tteoreojiji ninedo tteoreojyeora
(Flower petals eventually fall, I hope you all fall too)

mongttang manghaera
(I hope you all break up)

manghaera"

 

I noticed the guy had a beautiful voice as he bolted those soothing adlibs of the song which these types of songs definitely suits him. The audience were obviously having fun also as they actively shouted the ‘manghaera’ part of the song.

 

“The last song that I will sing for today is a song that you probably always heard on coffee shops. It was also one of my favorite songs. I’ll be singing ‘Galaxy’ by Bolbbalgan4. Hope you enjoy the song, thank you…” the guy said.

 

As he started singing, I found myself glued in my spot. His voice was so relaxing. As I enjoying his performance, I never expected that I would examine his looks.

 

Okay, I admit he is quite attractive. He was tall, he has a small eyes and has a pale skin color. He was well-built guy also and when he smile, it feels like the world has been showering some flowers within me. I feel so creepy by thinking that now, but I can’t help it when someone who’s good looking is busking in front of me.

 

 

"Cause I’m a pilot anywhere

Cause I’m a pilot anywhere

Lighting star shooting star

julge nae galaxy

Cause I’m a pilot I’m your pilot

Lighting star shooting star

julge my galaxy

lalalalalala lalalalalala"

 

 

He finished his song with a cute smile and I can’t help myself not to take a photo of him. Luckily, Daniel forgot to bring his camera and left it on the coffee shop. I took out the camera and I snapped a photo on the guy.

 

“.”

 

The only thing I said when the camera flashed and it gain the attention of some people. What the hell, I’m on an awkward situation. Worse, I’m just the only one standing and it is ing in front of him! I noticed the people was now looking at me confusedly and when I look at the guy, I gulped hard.

 

I met his eyes and he gave me a smile. ‘Why the am I blushing for?!’ I felt my heart beat runs fast. I don’t know if I was for the guy or on the embarrassing moment that I had right now. I gave him an awkward smile and I ran fast to escape that embarrassing situation.

 

When I am out of the park, I laughed. I looked at the photo I took and it looks perfect!

 

“Guess it wasn’t bad at all,”

 

Author's note:

Here is the first chapter. This was still not proofread yet, maybe sooner.

 

Hope you like it. If otherwise, then I'm sorry.