FINAL.

paper house

Today, the weather seemed a little down. There were raindrops softly knocking on the glass windows and the young girl stopped playing with her doll for a while, just to stop and stare. For a while changed into an hour and the little girl was now hugging her knees closer to her chest and her doll lied forgotten.

The darkness blanketed her in coldness yet it barely affected her. She was more immersed on her father's promise of taking her out tonight. Their first escapade after weeks of her holed up inside and it would also be the first time she wouldn't be sleeping on her curfew.

Suddenly, thunder rumbled and bright lights semi-blinded her view. She flinched in surprise, only relaxed when a familiar voice was heard.

 

"Miyoung-ah, what are you doing in the dark?" Seungcheol asked curiously. The man made his way toward her and sat beside her. Miyoung climbed onto his lap, letting warmth embracing them both.

 

"I'm waiting for, Appa." She said quietly whilst fiddling with her babysitter's shirt. It was the shirt Seungcheol had bought when he went to a hip-hop showcase. Miyoung had listened through the whole story in awe and every time he wore that shirt, it meant today was a day to party on!

However, it seemed today Minyoung had been feeling blue since Seungcheol arrived this morning. Refusing to jam along with him to the newly album of the aforementioned hip-hop artist and even was reluctant to a bake a cake for her father.

 

("Do you think Appa will eat it?"

Seungcheol was taken back by the sudden question. He put down the carton of eggs on the island and carried her up from her chair.

 

"Of course, he will. We made it out of love! Out of love!" Seungcheol dramatically cried out. "If he doesn't eat it, I'll push it down his throat."

 

Miyoung giggled and thus, they begun their misadventure of baking.)

 

Seungcheol didn't continue the conversation. Instead he told her a story. A story of a princess and the King.

Once upon a time, there was a princess. Youth was wrapped around her little finger and her humbleness was one of the reasons everyone loved her. She had a father, the King. This King wasn't like any other King. He wasn't robust nor had a beard and a flabby stomach. He had shoulder-length wavy hair, soft features like her daughter and mischievous eyes to deceive his opponents.

 

("Sounds like Appa!" Minyoung commented cutely and Seungcheol cooed.)

 

The King was like his daughter too, very humble yet still headstrong. He would do anything to protect his kingdom and family. His determination lead him to be super busy until he couldn't  really spend more time with his people and his daughter. Despite it being so, his love for them never weakened and he hoped none of them would misunderstand that.

The story went on and on until Miyoung's eyes fluttered shut and soft snores escaped between her lips. His legs felt numb yet Seungcheol didn't dare to move in fear of waking her up.

For a such young age, Seungcheol thought, she grasped more faster of the reality compared to the other children around her age. It was just sad knowing that her childhood memories would be less cheerful now.

 

It was 2 AM when the front door opened and Jeonghan lethargically entered his home. He attempted to gently make his way around in the dark but it was futile when Seungcheol sleepily called him from the living room's floor.

 

"I'm sorry I woke you up. Why are you both sleeping on the floor?" Jeonghan questioned in a hushed tone.

 

"She was waiting for you, again. You promised her, remember?"

 

The memories of yesterday immediately punched Jeonghan in the face. The pinky promise he did with his daughter to go outside and watch the fireworks or something came back to him. He rubbed his face with frustration and anger toward himself.

Seungcheol watched with a frown marring his face, disappointment written all over. "You can't keep doing this, Jeonghan."

 

"I know!" The former hissed. "Don't rub it in my face as if you know any better!"

 

Seungcheol looked away, flushed. Their past was still a touchy subject despite it being three years already. He didn't let the words get to him too hard because he knew Jeonghan have had a long day of work.

 

"I'm sorry, that was uncalled for." Jeonghan mumbled while loosening his tie. The piece of clothing was thrown onto the sofa, simply discarding it until laundry day approached.

His ex-lover simply patted beside him for Jeonghan to sit down. They then made themselves cozy on the comforter stolen in from the guestroom. Seungcheol wanted to get up but Miyoung had her grip tightly around his arm and Jeonghan just shook his head, telling him to just join them. The man even took an extra blanket for Seungcheol.

So, here they were lying down together with Miyoung in the middle. Seungcheol watched as Jeonghan stared at his daughter tiredly with so much love and adoration, his heart swelled.

 

("I regretted sleeping and marrying her but I never once regretted getting Miyoung. She's the best thing in my life." Jeonghan said solemnly.)

 

It was a little past 4AM when Seungcheol decided to leave. He barely slept that night, thinking about fate that broke them apart and brought them together once more. Seungcheol had kissed Miyoung's forehead and Jeonghan's as well before he sneakily left the apartment.

Classes begin at 9, Seungcheol walked back home in the cold and slept in his bed with a heavy heart.

 

 

 

("I can't believe, you accepted him back in your life. This is the second most stupidest thing you did in your whole life. The first was dating Jeonghan."

 

Soonyoung cooed at Jihoon's expression and the anger immediately soothed into embarrassment and shyness.

 

"He sounded so desperate on the phone and I couldn't really say no!"

 

"You're saying after four years of the break-up, if Jeonghan calls you to jump off a cliff, you'll jump off a cliff." Jihoon deadpanned.

 

"What, no! I'm not saying that. I'm just, ugh. Jihoon we both changed, he doesn't sleep around with strangers and I don't sell and do weeds anymore. We both grew up from our stupidity."

 

"And here's a muffin, dear!" Soonyoung cheerfully shoved the pastry into his boyfriend's mouth when the latter wanted to make another cruel remark.

 

"In all honesty, Seungcheol. Are you sure you're capable of handling this?" The dancer asked as he wiped the crumbs away. "Ignoring the fact of what you guys did, he broke your heart and you broke his and then you both disappeared out of each other's life for years. He calls you later one day to take care of his child?"

Seungcheol looked down, his coffee suddenly seemed more interesting.

 

"I'm not implying anything but we're both worried about what might happen. What he might do to you, again."

 

There was a tense silence for a moment, Seungcheol letting all the words sank into his brain. Truthfully, everything did sound so sudden and all. Seungcheol didn't even know why he agreed on helping Jeonghan. The man had sounded so tired and pleaded through the phone as if Seungcheol was his last hope.

 

"I'm going to his house next Monday and I'll be fine, guys. I promise nothing will happen and after a month, I'll quit! Besides, I'll get paid for doing this! No more buying lunch for me, now."

 

Seungcheol feigned laughter as the couple glanced at each other in concern.

 

"Fine, you do what you want. But I warned you, don't come crying to us when something between the two of you happened." Jihoon warned him.

 

"I promise, I won't.)

 

 

(("Look, Appa! I drew a picture of our family!"

 

"This is so cute, my daughter is so talented! But who's this right here, sweetie?"

 

"That's Seungcheol oppa! He's part of the family too."

 

Seungcheol took a glance at Jeonghan's face, trying to find a reaction from the latter yet he was indifferent. As he looked away, he didn't see the small smile on Jeonghan's face neither the way his hands trembled slightly before he told his daughter to put it up on the fridge.))