Isn't That How it Works

When Will You See?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol called desperatley, "Baek, wait!"

"What Chanyeol," Baekhyun's back deflated, a sign of him giving up, "what do you want? To shout at me once more for sleeping with your roomate?"

"No, God no, I just-"

"I don't even know why you're here in Seoul," Baekhyun continues, as if Chanyeol had not just spoken, "I thought you were going abroad, wasn't that your dream?"

Chanyeol's dream was to go to America to become an intern. Why was he in Seoul? Because he realised he couldn't have all the money in the world and be so far from his mother. He studied music for two weeks, realised he couldn't support his mother that way and switched courses to business management. To say his mother was pissed was an understatement, she never wanted Chanyeol to give up his dreams for her benefit. But Chanyeol was a stubborn son, he had to do this. He defintiley didn't change courses because he sat 3 rows behind a small figure, reeking of familiarity, which scared him immensely.

"I gave it up," Chanyeol sighed, "please Baek, just let me speak to you."

"You're just going to tell me to leave Sehun alone," Baekhyun rolled his eyes, "I know you, Yeol, you'll do anything to get me out of your life."

Despite the sadness, Chanyeol felt comfort in the old nickname that was once the idea of normality, "Baekhyun, I promise I won't bring up the brat. I swear. Let's just go to the coffee shop down the street. I won't force you, but I really want to talk to you."

Baekhyun waited in silence, Chanyeol suddenly noticed how clenched his fists were, as if he was squeezing grapes for wine with his bare hands. Chanyeol was about to give up after the deathly empitness of the air became suffocating, until he heard Baekhyun whisper, "Ok, let's go."

 

 

They walked in silence, neither wanting to adress the odd feeling they felt. Two years ago, the pair would have thought nothing of such a situation. But times had changed, they were different people, Baekhyun had lost weight, his face visibally more angular, although the chubby cheeks still seemed prominent when he smiled. Chanyeol had gained weight, but not in the worst way, he started to go to the gym after he quit his musical dream. His eyes were still unbelievably large and his hair was in the constant state of being tossled; it was slightly ruined, due to Sehun insisting he should die it red one drunken night five months ago. It was hard to tell if people who passed them sensed the tension they felt, or if they looked like two great friends just enjoying eachother's company.

When they arrived, Baekhyun immediatley recalled, "You want an Americano, no milk or sugar right?"

Chanyeol just stuttered in shock, "Y-yes I do."

"Cool, go sit down and stop looking like I just killed your dog, I do have a memory you know."

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun easily flirt with the girl at the counter as she made their drinks. It was supposed to make him happy, seeing Bakehyun so free, but he only felt sorrow, having missed the small and now blond male. He would make amends with Baekhyun, he had decided as soon as he saw the boy and kissing Sehun. Ew, he suddenly choked, do not think about that. Sehun ? Nope.

He couldn't deny the anger in the first few moments he felt, but then he just felt upset and angry only with himself. Baekhyun didn't seem himself in those first few seconds he saw Chanyeol, he was putting on an act, it had to be, just for Sehun's pleasure. Chanyeol hated it, the jealousy he felt upon witnessing their tiny temporary bubble which he popped.

"I got her number," Baekhyun smiled and then stopped, as if there was no reason to smile for Chanyeol, "how times have changed, huh. That used to be what you'd say to me, unitl you broke my heart and ran off that is."

"Baekhyun, about that, I'm-"

"Let me finish, I want to tell you exactly what's happened since you've been ignoring me," Baekhyun stared intensely into Chanyeol's eyes, Chanyeol didn't think he planned to stop to at any point. "After you left Jongin's party, I felt dizzy and not from the alcohol, but because you'd just torn me into two. Part of me was unbelievably angry with you, for doing that, but another part was understanding. I thought you were overwhelmed and scared, which was fine, you needed time to think and I got that.

"But when you walked straight passed me on the Monday after, I couldn't understand. I just wanted to talk things through, if you rejected me, I thought I would be ok with that, as long as I could keep being your best friend. But that's not what happened, you just continued to act like I never existed," Chanyeol opened his mouth as if to speak, only to be interrupted by Baekhyun once more, "I met Jongdae straight after you left me. He called me a taxi home and got my number to make sure I was safe. He witnessed you brushing past me on Monday and came to comfort me. I realised I needed someone who would not hesitate to care in my life. So I brought him in, at first as friends and then into something more, my first proper relationship. What you witnessed on graduation day was that, young adults just trying to enjoy their lives, exp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter