Chapter 3

champion

Hello, it’s been awhile since my last update >.< If you are still interested in the story, please find it below. Thank you for reading and I hope you like it! <3

This is probably the scariest chapter. There is some horror in this chapter, so it's rated R.

 


 

Nighttime fell and everyone else in Jinki’s family went to bed, but Jinki laid awake, replaying all the events that happened that day. He remembered the unsettling feeling of someone watching him when he walked home and kept asking himself why hadn’t anyone else been able to see the creature? The image of the creature haunted him, he kept tossing and turning in his bed, before he fell exhaustedly into an unconscious, deep sleep.

A few hours later, Jinki awoke to unusual noises in his bedroom.

What’s going on? He thought groggily, not fully awake yet as the tendrils of sleep still held tight.

He heard soft sounds emanating from the corner of his bedroom, near his desk. There was a distant sound of fluttering. Perhaps, he had left his window open and some pieces of paper were rustling in the breeze. That must be it, he thought as he reached down for his fallen sheets to pull them higher up his body, a barrier against that said breeze or perhaps, a small bird had flown into his bedroom, he surmised, as the fluttering grew louder, sometimes hitting his desk, sometimes knocking over an item or two from on top of it.

Please, please, I’m very tired. If you could, please see yourself out. Jinki thought as sleep tempted him again and his eyelids grew heavier.

Jinki’s pleas were to no avail however as the sound continued, before suddenly halting as something landed on his chest. And that is when Jinki’s grogginess dissipated instantly. For the weight that had landed on his chest was much bigger and heavier than a small bird. The cobwebs of remaining sleep burned away to awareness, his breathing stilled and his pulse beginning to race.

Jinki slowly and gingerly opened his eyes. As Jinki took in the sight before him, he tried with all his might not to scream. Sitting on his chest was the same creature from this afternoon, but there was no longer any question that this afternoon’s episode and the creature had been a figment of his imagination or a hallucination as he had possibly considered in his many hours of laying awake and pondering.

The creature’s small body felt unnaturally heavy on his chest and Jinki watched as it did not look up, but instead focused its eyes downward, his chest through his nightshirt, just above his heart, with it’s black pointy nail as if studying it.

Jinki’s rapid pulse skyrocketed as the sharp nail dragged against the cotton fabric, but he willed his eyes closed with a barely audible gasp.

It’s not real. It’s not real.

He opened his eyes again hopefully, but he had no such luck. The creature was now looking at him with a smile. Smile being a subjective word. As the creature’s face split apart, Jinki saw close up the row after row of sharp yellowing teeth in the creature’s mouth, impossibly crowding its mouth with their jagged points. Thick saliva at the base of its teeth and mouth caused the creature’s breathing to sound like wheezing hisses through its teeth.

Jinki whimpered, bending his arms behind himself to try to get up, but the creature made an indignant sound and pressed its sharp, black talon-like nail into his chest, poking a hole in his nightshirt and into his skin. A small pool of blood quickly stained the pale blue nightshirt around the nail and Jinki winced at the pain.

“Please. What do you want?” Jinki said gently, trying a different approach, his voice hardly louder than a whisper.

A loud sudden noise came from outside and the creature turned its head to look at the door. Unceremoniously, it got up from Jinki’s chest, the talons on its feet digging into him, ripping more holes in his nightshirt in the process. Some of its talons pierced Jinki’s skin, causing indescribable pain to shoot through his body. The creature skittered across Jinki’s bed before disappearing underneath the impossibly tiny gap underneath the door frame of the closed door.

Loud sounds came from outside that sounded like furniture being knocked around and into. Jinki considered momentarily staying where he was and ignoring the commotion until it passed, but he knew he could not and would not. He took deep breath, gathered his courage and ignored the pain from the wounds on his chest. He swung his legs out of bed, slipped his slippers on and walked towards to his bedroom door.

Jinki took another deep breath, closing his eyes as he opened the door, bracing himself for what was waiting for him on the other side of the door, but when he opened his eyes, there was absolutely nothing that could have prepared him for what he saw. Jinki’s eyes widened in shock and terror.

Floating right in front of him was his mother, her body completely horizontal, almost four feet above the ground, her arms were by her side and her legs were straight together. Her eyes were closed, her face peacefully calm. Jinki looked closer and realized that she wasn’t just floating in the air of her own volition, six of the same kind of creature were floating next to her. Carrying her? Their arms weren’t touching her body, they were guiding her down the hallway. Was it magic?

“Umma! Umma! Wake up! Umma, please, wake up!”

Upon hearing Jinki speak, one of the creatures broke rank from the other five and flew over towards him. Jinki’s mother’s body tipped over more to one side and the other creatures looked at the purple one as if to complain, but they re-shuffled their magic to continue about their task and Jinki’s mother became level again.

This new creature wasn’t green like the one earlier, this one was a leathery purple. Yellow teeth and lime green eyes came inches from his face. Jinki saw something from the corner of his eye and he watched as the first creature from earlier with its green leathery skin fly towards the new one. It shoved the new one aside, shrieking. It continued to push the new one back towards the other five creatures. Could the creatures speak? Did they communicate with each other? Did the first one have authority over the second one?

Jinki didn’t know, but he suspected it when the purple creature moved back to other five creatures to continue carrying his mother down the hallway.

Jinki ran towards his mother and the creatures stopped and started shrieking at him.

“Stop! Stop! What are you doing to her?! P-please just leave her alone!” He cried.

Jinki was about to grab his mother’s hand to pull her from the creatures when his hand ran into something hard.

There was something blocking him. An invisible barrier? Jinki thought. He moved both of his hands forward and realized he couldn’t get any closer to her than about 18 inches away.

What is this? How can I help you, Umma? Please someone help me. Jinki sent out a desperate mental plea.

Another clang came from down the corner. Jinki turned to see as a pair of floating feet appear around the corner. It was Changmin. Another group of creatures carried Changmin down the hallway after his mother. This group was less careful and their wings flapped faster. Occasionally, one of the creatures ran into the wall. Jinki felt helpless as he tried to break the invisible barrier to no avail to free Changmin.

“Hyung! HYUNG!! Wake-up, please. Someone, please help!”

Jinki turned towards the green leathery creature who seemed to be in charge. The creature ignored him.

“Why are you doing this? Please let my family go! What have they done to you? What do you want?”

Jinki heard another clatter and knew immediately what he was going to see. He ran down the hallway. The green creature was instantly in front of him. It raised its pointy nail, a drop of Jinki’s dried blood still clinging to it, and simply pointed at him.

Jinki found he couldn’t move his legs. He was stuck. He tried to yell, but no sound would come out of his throat either. He tried to jerk, to move, to scream, but couldn’t as he was rooted completely in place.

How is this possible?!?!

Jinki’s father’s floating body appeared in the hallway moving towards him. Jinki couldn’t do anything, but watch as his entire family was lead down the hallway by a horde of tiny creatures, all varying in appearance and color.

Once the first group carrying his mother reached the end of the corridor, the green leathery one pointed at the window and waved a big circle with his arm. The glass in the window vanished.

Jinki started to thrash violently inside his invisible hold, his voice a muffled scream, but no matter how hard he tried, he could not get free.

The first group of creatures began to march forward out the window and Jinki watched in horror as his family began to be carried out into the night sky, levitating into the black sky. He remained rooted, bound to his spot, tears falling down his face. He felt utterly and completely helpless.

His father was the last one through the third floor window. When his father crossed the magical boundary of the apartment, Jinki felt the invisible pressure on his body release. He could move again.

He ran straight to window. Looking into the sky, he realized his family would soon move out of the apartment’s sightline, disappearing into the night all together to god-knows-where.

“Appa! Umma! Hyung! PLEASE Someone help! Please! Police!”

The leader of the creatures appeared in front of him, a piece of parchment held in its taloned hands.

“What is this? Please just tell me what you want! Give me back my family!”

The creature bared its teeth in what could only be described as a smirk, winking at Jinki, and its green batwing raised in a what could only be described as a mocking salute. The creature continued to stare at him, soft hisses coming from its mouth, before dropping the parchment onto the floor at Jinki’s feet. With that, the creature disappeared on the spot with a poof, leaving only a small cloud of black smoke in its wake.

A thousand thoughts began to race through Jinki’s head. He had no idea where his family had been taken and sobbed despondently now, tears wracking violently from his body.

Who were those creatures?! What did they want with his parents and Changmin?! Why had this happened?

Jinki begrudgingly bent down to reach the piece of parchment that had been rudely dropped at his feet. He wanted nothing to do with it, but it was the only clue he had as to where his family had been taken, for what purpose, and by whom.

A unnatural, supernatural energy emitted from the piece of paper that made Jinki extremely uncomfortably. He ran his thumb along the old-fashioned red wax seal as he looked back up out the window again to see if he was still able make out his family’s figures in the night sky. With astonishment, Jinki realized that the window pane had re-appeared on its own.

H… ow?!?!

Jinki became exceedingly lightheaded and dizzy and his vision blurred. Whether from the effect of the events just passed or the rapid loss of blood from the wounds in his chest, it is unknown.

The next thing Jinki knew, the ground was rushing up to meet him as his legs slipped out from under him. He fell into a heap on the ground as the darkness surrounded him in its embrace, his hand still clutching the small roll of parchment tightly.

 


 

A/N: Gosh, I knew that was going to happen, but I even scared myself. The creatures are a kind of imp/pixie hybrids.

I’m sorry for the lack of Kibum in the last two chapters, but don’t worry, our champion is going to make his appearance soon!