Not A Baby

Yeri and her Unnies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I had to post this sometime in 2017 before Yeri officially becomes an adult in Korea. Our baby is growing up :(  Hope you enjoy this! Sometimes I wonder if they really have arguments like this in the dorm...

 

tags: [ teenage rebellion, mention of but don't worry nothing happens ]

"I don't see your problem, unnie," the maknae crossed her arms in front of her chest and stomped her right foot on the ground like a child. Here she was again, arguing with the eldest group member about her curfew. Irene sighed in frustration, "Yerim, you are a minor. You shouldn't be out alone at night." - "I won't be alone, though. Saeronnie will-" She was interrupted, "Saeron is not an adult. If her mother allows her to go out into the wee hours, that's great for her but you will be back at the dorm by 10. God knows what could happen to a petite girl like you!"

"I don't know if you haven't noticed but I'm not a kid anymore. I'm 18 for God's sake. That's legal age practically everywhere!" Yeri followed Irene, who walked into the kitchen. The leader shook her head, "Well, it's not legal age here so you still are a child. Listen. you will now either promise me to be home before curfew or you won't go out at all!" Yeri groaned in annoyance. She was sick of being treated like a toddler. Red Velvet had just wrapped up promoting their new summer album and Yerim wanted to go out with her closest friends now that she finally had time for them again. All her friends were allowed to stay out until at least 1 in the morning and they found it rather hilarious that their idol friend had to adhere to such strict rules. As she shot the elder girl a death glare, she mumbled, "I'll be back on time. That's so unfair, though!" 

Irene chuckled and called after the maknae, "Life is unfair when you're a child, Yerim. Be careful when crossing the street and call if you need anything. Love you!" Hearing that frustrated the maknae even more because it only showed how Irene was not taking her, and what she said, seriously. As much as she appreciated her unnies caring for her, she thought it was absolutely unnecessary for them to be treating her like a 4-year-old. She couldn't wait to finally turn 19 and officially be considered an adult in Korea. However, she did doubt that the older girls would ever stop babying her, but they wouldn't be able to tell her what to do anymore and that's exactly what Yeri wanted. Still annoyed, she put on her shoes and was about to leave their apartment when Joohyun repeated from the other room, "I said that I love you!" The teenager groaned. She knew exactly what the leader wanted to hear so she gave in and muttered a quick, "I love you, too" back. Without any further ado, she slammed the door.

Irene unnie had been taking care of her ever since she joined SM back in elementary school, so she did understand that it was hard for the 91-liner to accept the fact that Yeri was, indeed, growing up but she couldn't help be annoyed. Her career already refrained her from having too much fun and her unnies' rules were making it just worse. She wanted to enjoy her precious teenage years and as of now, all she ever did was school then work, which left her with maybe one to two hours for friends once a week if she was lucky. 

Half an hour later, the teenager was sitting in one of her favorite restaurants, surrounded by some of her friends. "I don't know how you can eat this," she shook her head at Saeron, who was munching on Jokbal. Her best friend giggled in response, "How could I not? It's delicious!" - "I found a toenail in Jokbal once. Been traumatized ever since." Yeri grimaced at the memory, causing the rest of the table to laugh. They had heard the story several times and it was always amusing, watching Red Velvet's maknae recall the event. They continued their meal while doing some catching up on what they'd been up to over the past weeks.

"So I was thinking," Jaehyun started, "we should go to Han River park after dinner. I'll buy some soju for us and we can simply enjoy the night. We've been working hard, we deserve it." - "I'm in," Saeron nodded immediately. So did everybody else until everyone's attention was on Yeri, who sighed, "Guys, I'm really sorry but Joohyun said I have to be home by 10." - "Can she finally stop treating you like a kid? It's getting annoying. Glad I don't have this problem with my hyungs," Jaehyun groaned.

"I know," Yeri's gaze dropped to the floor, "I tried everything but she doesn't get it. Same with Seulgi and Seungwan. They think, just because I'm a few years younger, I can't properly look after myself. No matter what I say, they just laugh it off, call me 'cute' and tell me to be back on time. I don't know what else there is that I could try." A silence followed. Everybody was thinking. "Can't you just pretend to forget about time? 'Oops unnie, had too much fun. Didn't check the time!' ", Chanyuk's attempt to imitate Yerim's voice failed miserably, causing a chuckle to leave . "I don't think that's a good idea," his sister, Suhyun, interrupted, "In fact, I think that's the worst thing you could do. She won't let you go out anymore at all if you do that." Yerim knew she was right.

"But what can I do?" 

Saeron was next, "You have to show them you're not a child anymore. Just act like a grown up. When they realize you act like one, they can't treat you like this anymore. And if that doesn't work, you can always start some kind of rebellion." - "Sounds like a plan. Let's hope next time we hang out, I get to stay until the end. As for today, I have to go now unless I wanna be late." 

When Yerim arrived at the dorm, she found all of her older group members sitting on the couch, watching a movie together. They all gave her a warm smile when she entered the room and Seungwan patted the space next to her, offering the maknae to sit down, which she did. "What are you guys watching?" She asked as she laid her head down on her Canadian unnie's shoulder. Seulgi, who was looking at her phone rather than the TV, mumbled, "Some romantic comedy. Sooyoung wanted to watch it because of Sungjae`s cameo." This caused her to get hit by a pillow, thrown by the second maknae. Irene giggled softly, watching the interaction. Her eyes shifted back to Yeri, who was sitting on her left, "Did you have fun with your friends tonight?" She then reached over and tucked a strand of Yerim's hair behind her ear. The teenager sighed contently before nodding, "I did. Would have been more fun though if I could have stayed until the end."

The older members exchanged amused looks. "As long as you're a kid you will have to deal with the curfew, I'm afraid," Joohyun ruffled through the maknae's hair, causing her to groan, "I am not a kid! In fact, I'm nearly legal!" - "Until then, you're a child as far as I'm concerned." Yeri glared at Wendy, before pushing the two unnies off her and exiting the room. Irene and Wendy were taken aback by her reaction and looked after her with widened eyes. They weren't used to Yerim rebelling against them in such a way. Only when they heard a door being slammed shut Joy spoke up, "I'm not surprised. You guys are taking it too far with your babying."

The leader thought about her words for a moment, "She's a young and fragile girl. In case of something happening, she won't even be able to defend herself. There's so much that could happen to her and I'm not willing to risk anything harming my maknae just so she can go out for a few hours." - "Are you sure it's just that? I honestly think, you guys just don't want her to grow up. You like taking care of her and the fact that one day she won't need that anymore is killing you. It's Yeri we're talking about. She always finds a way to defend herself if she has to and you know that. She's a tough cookie, that one."

"Nonsense," Seulgi shook her head, "Yerim tends to attract trouble so we cannot be careful enough. I could never forgive myself if she ended up being attacked just because I allowed her to walk around at night on her own." Sooyoung just shook her head in frustration. There was no use and she knew it. "You girls are hopeless. Anyway, I'll head to bed, too. Sleep tight!"

"So. what's your plan?" Joy asked after letting herself fall onto the foot end of Yeri's bed. "What are you talking about?"- "I'm not stupid. I know you well enough to know you're thinking of something to get those crazy ladies off your case"  The younger girl sighed. She was glad that at least the second maknae was on her side and agreed that the others were overreacting. She then told her about her plan to act all grown up in order for them to see, she's not a baby anymore but Joy had her doubts, "Do you really think that's going to work? No offense but when I was your age, I was quite a bit more mature than you are now but that didn't stop them from babying me." Yerim shrugged, "It has to work. If it doesn't, I can still always start some kind of rebellion."

Joy laughed, "Joohyun unnie would kill you. Anyway, I think we should go to sleep now!"

 

Yerim was the first to wake up the next morning, which was rather unusual. Admittedly, she had set her alarm and basically forced herself to get up in order to start her plan. Instead of starting the day off watching cartoons, while still in her pajamas, like normally, she got dressed and went to the kitchen, where she poured herself a cup of coffee. She stared at the dark beverage in disgust. Yeri couldn't stand it. However, most adults did so here she was. She waited a few moments before she could hear Seungwan's footsteps coming closer, then she took the first sip. Ew.

"You're awake already?" the older girl yawned.

Yerim, who tried her best to not look completely appalled, gulped down the coffee and said, "Of course. Did you sleep well, Seungwan-si?" Okay, maybe she was exaggerating a tiny bit. Wendy furrowed her brows, "What's up with you? Why are you talking this formally?" and then she spotted the cup, "And are you drinking coffee? You don't even like coffee!" The maknae answered casually, "I don't know what you're talking about. Also, I certainly do like coffee. Only children don't!"

That was when the confused expression on the 94-liner's face turned into a smirk, clearly having caught on, "Only children, huh? Well, then you little adult, drink up!" 

"I don't feel particularly thirsty at the moment, I'm afraid," Yerim chuckled nervously. Her plan included pouring the liquid down the sink as soon as Wendy had seen her drink it. Seungwan started laughing and ruffled the teenager's hair, "Nice try, Yerim-ah! Maybe next time you want to act all grown up, you do something more believable." The maknae groaned in frustration, burying her face in her hands. 

"Why are you so keen on growing up anyway?" The older girls gently rubbed her back, "It's not that great!"

Yeri lifted her head and looked at her unnie, "It's not that I wanna grow up, it's the way you guys treat me. I'm just sick of it, to be honest. Do you know how embarrassing it is to have the same curfew as a 15-year-old when you're 18? All the time I get told the fun stories my friends experience after I left and I'm in none of them. I feel so left out but you don't care because you don't want to accept the fact that I don't need you guys anymore!" - "Don't say that!" - "But it's the truth. I don't know what to do anymore!"

"What's up with all the arguing?" a tired-looking Joohyun appeared in the doorway. "Yerim's complaining about her curfew again," Wendy sighed and shook her head as she poured herself a cup of coffee. The leader's eyes shifted to the youngest, demanding her to explain herself.

Yeri breathed in, "I spend all day working for weeks on end. In public, I have to behave and can't even be myself usually. Every day I have to hide behind the facade of the perfect idol the world wants to see and there are so many things that are normal for people my age that I'm not allowed to do. I rarely ever have the time after work to go out with friends and if I do, it's not a lot because I never have more than maybe an hour since you want me to be home so soon. Sometimes I just wanna be myself but I have to hold it in. These are supposed to be the most formative years of my life, but all I do after work is sit in bed, wondering what having a life feels like. I feel trapped!"

The other two were quiet for a moment before Irene tried to argue, "You can be yourself in the waiting room and at home with us, Yerim. It's not that bad!" - "No, I can't! You are my big sisters and even though I love you to pieces, I can't just talk to you about anything I want. I need someone, who I do not see every day. A friend. Not a sister. Maybe Sooyoung. But you are usually around, as well, so that's not an option either. Seriously, the company puts enough restrictions on me, why do you have to make it worse?" Wendy and Irene looked down. They did feel guilty as they knew the company was especially hard on Yerim but they were sure they were doing the right thing by protecting their maknae in every way they could.

"You know what, just leave me alone!" the youngest girl stormed back to her room, where Sooyoung was currently getting ready, "It didn't work out too well, hm?" Yeri just shook her head and crossed her arms in front of her chest, "Plan B it is then!"

Joy turned toward her friend with a concerned expression, "I really don't think that's a good idea, Squirtle. You might get yourself into serious trouble." - "I'll take it if that means I get to enjoy my life for once." Sooyoung shook her head and sighed, "Whatever happens, you know I have your back but please be careful, yeah?"

 

The five members were then ushered to the van by their manager. They had an important photo shoot for some big magazine and they didn't want to be late. Yeri had finished her solo shots first so she was laying on the couch of the otherwise empty waiting room. She was texting her friends about her plan, while some tried to convince her to just wait until she became legal, the others were extremely supportive and couldn't wait to help her out. As they were planning, Seulgi entered the room and somehow managed to squeeze herself onto the couch next to Yerim. The younger girl locked her phone as Seulgi, whose head was on her shoulder, would have been able to read the messages. The bear was a great cuddler and soon Yeri relaxed and cuddled up in her unnie's arms.

"So, mind telling me why you're ignoring Joohyun unnie and Seungwan?" the older girl asked very calmly, hoping it wouldn't upset Yerim. "Oh come on. I know they've told you." Yeri's voice was quiet and her eyes were closed as she was enjoying Seulgi's presence. By now she had her head buried in the crook of Seulgi's neck. The main dancer chuckled still quietly, "Okay, yeah. Why can't you trust us? And does the curfew hold you back that much?" Yerim sighed softly in frustration, "I do trust you, guys. But I need people my own age to talk to. You guys always in and try to protect me from every single thing instead of letting me make my own mistakes and learn from them. Also, think about it. Would you tell your older brother everything? Probably not." she breathed in before answering the second question, "After work is the only time I have to hang out with other people but we rarely ever come home before 10 pm. So usually I don't get to go out at all since my curfew is 10. Maybe once a week we're home between 8

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter